The Mecca - Is It Due To Be Demolished ?

Guest POTTERIESPECK

Guest POTTERIESPECK

ANYBODY ENLIGHTEN US WITH NEWS THAT THE BLACKPOOL MECCA [ THE HIGLAND ROOM ] BUILDING IS GOING TO BE DEMOLISHED QUITE SOON. I DID'NT FREQUENT THIS VENUE AS OFTEN AS I WOULD HAVE LIKED, BUT THE MECCA'S DJ's DISCOVERED NUMEROUS TOP SOUNDS FOR THE SCENE. LONG GONE VENUE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN.

post-5802-1229713183_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

ANYBODY ENLIGHTEN US WITH NEWS THAT THE BLACKPOOL MECCA [ THE HIGLAND ROOM ] BUILDING IS GOING TO BE DEMOLISHED QUITE SOON. I DID'NT FREQUENT THIS VENUE AS OFTEN AS I WOULD HAVE LIKED, BUT THE MECCA'S DJ's DISCOVERED NUMEROUS TOP SOUNDS FOR THE SCENE. LONG GONE VENUE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN.

I understand they start pulling it down after Christmas........................ sad.gif

Social source share

I understand they start pulling it down after Christmas........................ sad.gif

The demolition was originally scheduled to commence during the first week in December : is there anyone on SS from / living in Blackpool know if this has started ? ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Believe all asbestos has been removed from the building (safety issue) - I know that some pieces of The Highland Room dancefloor have been "liberated" by certain individuals - better watch Ebay in the coming weeks (how sad) !!!!

I only live 3 miles from The Mecca so will keep people posted as to what is happening - just off to FloorsRUs to get my "original Highland Room laminate flooring" - tee hee.

Social source share

Believe all asbestos has been removed from the building (safety issue) - I know that some pieces of The Highland Room dancefloor have been "liberated" by certain individuals - better watch Ebay in the coming weeks (how sad) !!!!

I only live 3 miles from The Mecca so will keep people posted as to what is happening - just off to FloorsRUs to get my "original Highland Room laminate flooring" - tee hee.

LOL, cue a mental vision of a Grandad pointing to a beautifully framed presentation display of a wooden tile above the fireplace and saying to his grandson "Does tha know what that is lad?"................. :ohmy:

Ian D biggrin.gif

Social source share

LOL, cue a mental vision of a Grandad pointing to a beautifully framed presentation display of a wooden tile above the fireplace and saying to his grandson "Does tha know what that is lad?"................. laugh.gif

Ian D :shhh:

If someone visits Chez Burton for the first time , I get strange looks when they see the brick on the shelving at the side of my computer desk ........

The brick comes from a certain dance hall that was located in a street in ST6 5AL ...........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Guest souldancer

LOL, cue a mental vision of a Grandad pointing to a beautifully framed presentation display of a wooden tile above the fireplace and saying to his grandson "Does tha know what that is lad?"................. :shhh:

Ian D biggrin.gif

That made me LOL...but not forgetting Grandma.. shhh.gif:(

Julia

Social source share

Guest highlander

Maybe when the new college is built ,one of the original dj's could organise a reunion in the college canteen ,and we could all pretend we were back there, :shhh: [ but surely no-one would come up with such a crazy idea would they?] I've also heard a rumour they are naming the steps up to the chemistry lab The CAR-STAIRS laugh.gif [ well i thought it was funny]

Social source share

I spoke to several people a few weeks ago, including a couple of people on Blackpool Council, and begged for one last chance to do a night in there before they pulled it down - one last shout - but it's not safe and too much has been removed.

So November 28th 1998, and New Years Eve 1999/2000 were the two last ever soul nights in the Mecca.

Sad.

Social source share

I spoke to several people a few weeks ago, including a couple of people on Blackpool Council, and begged for one last chance to do a night in there before they pulled it down - one last shout - but it's not safe and too much has been removed.

So November 28th 1998, and New Years Eve 1999/2000 were the two last ever soul nights in the Mecca.

Sad.

They may remove the building Ian , but they will never remove peoples' memories of it .

My sincere thanks for your contribution :lol:

Malc Burton

Social source share

One of the few regrets I have in my life is that I only managed to get to the Mecca a couple of times and those were in the later years due to living at the other end of the country, at the time, with no transport. I always followed what sounds were being played and was never disappointed by the sheer quality of them. Great days.

Social source share

Guest bazrico

Sad.

all great things come to an end

Social source share

They may remove the building Ian , but they will never remove peoples' memories of it .

My sincere thanks for your contribution thumbsup.gif

Malc Burton

As I sit here and type this I,ve still got tears in my eyes, I knew it was being pulled down I drive past it enough. It is still so sad, the best club ever IMHO. Thanks to all the DJs and friends etc for all the great memories and great music. From out and out Northern to Jazz-Funk. :no:

Social source share

As I sit here and type this I,ve still got tears in my eyes, I knew it was being pulled down I drive past it enough. It is still so sad, the best club ever IMHO. Thanks to all the DJs and friends etc for all the great memories and great music. From out and out Northern to Jazz-Funk. wink.gif

I managed to get in there 10 December - totally agree with your comments.I spoke to the demolition guy last week ;the electric to the building has now been cut off so thats about it until the real work on the outside starts early in the New Year . They are contracted to have the Mecca down by mid March.I cherish my pictures/memories from the 70s/ 1998 Reunion and the final one (with the help of an arc light!) on 10 December 2008. Yes agree it was the very best ever.We have howver the music to see us through to the end ........naturally at the end I have asked that they play California Montage.

Alex

Social source share

Sad.

doesnt this inspire you to think about another re-union,ian ,i still have some ticket stubbs from 74/75 and 1998 was so special....

Social source share

doesnt this inspire you to think about another re-union,ian ,i still have some ticket stubbs from 74/75 and 1998 was so special....

I would have done it in the Mecca building.

Otherwise no chance.

My head is still ringing from Russ Winstanley getting the Mecca building in 1992 for me and Colin to DJ, and then when we got there, we ended up on Central Pier.

If they'd halt the pulling down and let us in, I'd do it for one last reunion in the building itself.

Otherwise, I'd rather kiss Soul Sam.

Social source share

As I sit here and type this I,ve still got tears in my eyes, I knew it was being pulled down I drive past it enough. It is still so sad, the best club ever IMHO. Thanks to all the DJs and friends etc for all the great memories and great music. From out and out Northern to Jazz-Funk. :)

I totally agree.................for me it will allways be THE BEST CLUB EVER !!!!!!!! :lol:

Regards, Ritchie :lol:

Social source share

I totally agree.................for me it will allways be THE BEST CLUB EVER !!!!!!!!

Even though half the time they only had one deck working and Colin and I had to hold the mike in one hand and announce the record, while whisking it off the deck and getting the next one on, with the other hand.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert