• Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Byrney

What an achingly horrible record whistling.gif

link

Personally I love it!

Tad boring if we all had the same taste.

Still fighting the temptation to start collecting again.

Byrney

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Horrible record, rediculous price :shhh:

link

If y'all want to hear it in the flesh, Val Palmer will be playing it at the free Rocket event in July :lol: Val was spinning Sharon on Karen at the 100 Club in the 1980's.......what a girl :shhh: Great bit of Detroit........Jo

Social source share

IMO Little Annie shits on Sharon MacMahan, then recycles it then has it made into a whole new record - and something good like Mr Lucky :lol:

link

Sometimes I Wonder - as my friend, lead singer of the Ascots used to say! :shhh::shhh:

Sharon McMann proper Stafford record but didnt even get near the play list!

Billy I have a double sided Bill Haley acetate if you want it wink.gif:D

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

IMO Little Annie shits on Sharon MacMahan, then recycles it then has it made into a whole new record - and something good like Mr Lucky :D

link

After posting up that absolutely terrible acetate thing the other week, you then knock a perfectly decent soul record....beginning to wonder if your on the right scene  :shhh:   :lol:   :D

link

forgot all about that Little Annie bag o' shite ...definately on the wrong scene :shhh:laugh.gif:D

Social source share

we're gettin back onto little annie again - (UNFORTUNATELY!) - the SM track is quite decent - granted not the best northern track i've ever heard by a long way but it shits on LA! LA may get some air play den sath but not up here folks (sorry mace u qualify as a southerner :shhh: )

it's all down to taste folks and our tastes change all the time - been into the scene now for almost 30 yrs give or take 3 - some of the stuff i hated 20 odd yrs ago at the wcsc now quite like !! maybe in another 20 yrs i'll be boppin to LA (doubt it THOUGH!)

ktf (whatever they play)

Grant

Social source share

The SM 45 has a very nice and heavy Detroit backing, BUT the vocal is crap. Would have been better as an instrumental. Not really a soul record at all IMO. As a Detroit fan I can't help but like the backing with the heavy piano and all that. I wonder if this was the same copy as the M- one on ebay I bid on a few months ago (but lost) that sold for a few hundred £'s? What I planned to do was to sell it and I wouldn't be surprised if someone beat me to it, it has happened a few times before. Reminds me of Lonette on MS, i.e. nice Detroit backing and poor pop vocal.

Social source share

Yes I sure am. Poor vocals, obviously white vocals, and a generally poppy and/or easy listening approach just don't do it for me. I still think Esther Grant is pretty much crap. SM is better, it has at least got a good Detroit backing. Anything else you want to know?

Social source share

So let me see.....that's

ESTHER GRANT

SHARON McMANN

LONETTE

MARY SAXTON

BUDDY CONNNOR

LES CHANSONETTES

DELEGATES OF SOUL

that you think are crap.

If i hear ANY of these records played - it makes my night just that bit better.

If i was to hear them ALL on the same night

I'D FEEL SURE I MUST HAVE DIED ON THE WAY & GONE STRAIGHT TO NORTHERN SOUL HEAVEN.

Not saying they're the 7 most soulful records of all time.......

But hey, what do i know......?

Joan

Edited by jumpinjoan
Social source share

Buddy Connor? You have me mistaken for someone else. Buddy Connor "When You're Alone" is a top tune IMO, very soulful. Delegates Of Soul is okish, just not madly in love with it. Of the ones mentioned the only one I really hate is Les Chansonettes, I don't hate the others, I just don't think they're very good.

So let ME see.....that's

ESTHER GRANT (I still believe Tim Brown hit the nail on the head with "Lacklustre femme soul item")

SHARON McMANN (decent backing, poor (white I presume?) vocals sung in a pop style)

LONETTE (Decent backing, white girlie pop vocals)

MARY SAXTON (Benny Hill meets a white canadian woman and they decide to make a northern stomper...)

BUDDY CONNNOR (Great proper soul and great sparse production. I really rate this.)

LES CHANSONETTES (Just awful, I can't stand these squeaky and noisy girlie sounds)

DELEGATES OF SOUL (OK, but don't really do it for me + it is very overplayed and overpriced)

Social source share

Think I aggree with Christian on al of his "hates" bar the first one, here's what I think......

ESTHER GRANT

Eeasily one of finest female soul records ever made. Christian you have no taste :D ...would kill for a real one in my box :thumbsup:

SHARON McMANN

Ahem... you al know hopw I feel about this one :thumbsup:

LONETTE

Very average, like he says bad girlie vocals

MARY SAXTON

Very middle of the road, aggree with Chris' descrption, but this may be a bit hypocritical as I've just bought one :D (much prefer the other 45 on the labe if that's any constellation)

BUDDY CONNNOR

Briliant - and cheap providing you buy it credited to the World's Funkiest Band - £20 at the most!

LES CHANSONETTES

Shite - nuff said

DELEGATES OF SOUL

Great record, but yes, overpriced due to the ammount of them about. Can't say it's played out though - not at venues I go to anyway. Apart from hearing it at Soulsvile on Friday (courtesy Mr Mannion) I can't remember last time I heard it out!

.....just my views anyway :thumbsup:

Bily :thumbsup:

Social source share

WHAT DO I (& the countless others out there who dance to this shite) KNOW.

Indeed a good and justified question... :):D Does the fact that countless people dance to certain pop records make them soul records? Or should it convince me to like them? Britney Spears sell millions of records and millions of people probably dance to them too, that doesn't change my view that she is an evil product and should preferably be destroyed. I like good soul records you can dance to, good production, good beat, good strong soul vocals and preferably it should also be a good tune with some kind of melody and so on.

Social source share

ESTHER GRANT

Eeasily one of finest female soul records ever made. Christian you have no taste :) ...would kill for a real one in my box :D

Agree Mark, Awesome record IMO :D

Social source share

Isn't this the "white girlie" who morphed into no less a soul singer than Lonette McKee at a later stage in her career? Or am I getting confused again?

link

I always presumed it was. Maybe it isn't. McKee is a pale african american apparently.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest rachel

LES CHANSONETTES

Shite - nuff said

link

Or alternatively, fantastic uptempo girl group and quite possibly the best record on Shrine IMO - nuff said :D

Social source share

If this is Lonette McKee she shure fooled me. Not exactly 'black' even if her great grandmother or something might have been... Or is this anothar artist? Sorry for lifting this pic from somewhere else btw.

post-1441-1115643917_thumb.jpg

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Or alternatively, fantastic uptempo girl group and quite possibly the best record on Shrine IMO - nuff said  :D

link

Let's start another. I am one of those wacky persons who think Shrine (with a FEW exceptions) is probably THE most overrated label of all time.

Social source share

Guest rachel

Let's start another. I am one of those wacky persons who think Shrine (with a FEW exceptions) is probably THE most overrated label of all time.

link

Actually I agree with you here, maybe not THE most overrated but definitely one of them (though I must admit I haven't listened to a lot of it in great depth, simply because most of the Shrine tracks I've heard have done nothing much for me on first listening). Still like the Chansonettes though (both sides). Do I have to hand in my anorak now? :D

Social source share

Guest Dan

Actually I agree with you here, maybe not THE most overrated but definitely one of them (though I must admit I haven't listened to a lot of it in great depth, simply because most of the Shrine tracks I've heard have done nothing much for me on first listening).

some great stuff on shrine - this time by ray pollard is immense and i would almost literally kill for a copy of the prophets

stop overlooking me is awesome, too

but there is some utter tosh on the label as well

Social source share

WHAT DO I (& the countless others out there who dance to this shite) KNOW.

Indeed a good and justified question... :D   :)   Does the fact that countless people dance to certain pop records make them soul records? Or should it convince me to like them?

Does the fact that you don't dance to certain records make them 'not' soul records?

Or should that convince me to 'not' like them?

I would've thought you'd be over the moon that there are so many of us out there with such terrible taste in records.

Leaves all the proper stuff for you.

Take care

Joan x

Social source share

link

...and I am one of those just as wacky persons that totally aggrees :)

As far as I am concerned there are 2 good records on Shrine: Ray Pollard and JD Bryant. The rest are between utter shite (i.e. Eddie Daye, Les Chansonettes) and strictly average (i.e. Shirley Edwards, Cautions).

Think that about sums it up :D

Do you aggree chris?

Edited by billytheboot
Social source share

Does the fact that you don't dance to certain records make them 'not' soul records?

*No, of course not, there is no such connection. Just as there is no connection between a lot of people like yourself dancing to a record and it automatically because of that will be a soul record. Besides, there are many bad soul records.

Or should that convince me to 'not' like them?

*No. What you like is up to you. If I can convince someone to listen to what I consider great music it makes me glad though, sharing is caring and all that.

I would've thought you'd be over the moon that there are so many of us out there with such terrible taste in records. Leaves all the proper stuff for you.

*I am actually glad that a lot of people are chasing things I don't rate, takes some attention away from the stuff I want and it is bad enough as it is without everyone chasing the exact same records.

Regards

Christian

Take care

Joan  x

link

Social source share

Ray Pollard "This Time" is good, Prophets is pretty good, Cairos a bit crazy but good, a couple more are also pretty good but on the whole I feel most of the stuff is a bit weak. Tinny and noisy productions with far too many instruments making noise at the same time, there is also a certain thinness to the sound (and not in a good way IMO) on most tunes. I don't hate it (except Les Chansonettes, pure horror) I just think it is very overrated and there is not much there that justifies the extreme hype.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert