Anyone Seen These 45's Before?

Guest selectasoul

Guest selectasoul

Over the years I've acquired a number of US 45's which I have never seen before or since buying them. I was just wondering if anyone else had copies of the following.

The following are all Detroit:-

J.J. BARNES - MY BABY - INVASION - 1001

Listed in lots of discographies, so I diidn't think it was that rare until Martin Koppell told me he had never seen a copy. Also checked with Dave Rimmer, who asked around and nobody had seen a copy either.

LITTLE RODGER HATCHER - GET A HOLD OF YOURSELF - DEL-LA-NORTHERN - 103

Another record thet been's rumoured to exist, Originally mentioned by Rodger himself in Steve Bryant's excellent Souled Out mag. John Ridley in his sleeve notesto the Roger Hatcher Collection CD on Expansion doubted it's existence. Cracking dancer co-written & produced by Johnnie Mae Matthews.

DONI BURDICK - FAITH - SOUND IMPRESSIONS RECORDS - 6812

TIM DAUGHERTY - FLYING HIGH - ATAC - 2879

LITTLE SONNY GREEN - PEOPLE TALKING BOUT' ME - WHIP - 276

THE ELDEE'S - YOU'RE SUCH A SWEET THING - BIG HIT - 115

I collected the complete Big Hit label, this was easily the hardest to obtain, again I have never seen another copy.

End of Detroit

SPYDER TURNER - SPYDERMAN - SHATTER RECORDS 1964

Social source share

• Replies 32
  • Views 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest selectasoul

Over the years I've acquired a number of US 45's which I have never seen before or since buying them. I was just wondering if anyone else had copies of the following.

Listed in lots of discographies, so I diidn't think it was that rare until Martin Koppell told me he had never seen a copy. Also checked with Dave Rimmer, who asked around and nobody had seen a copy either.

Another record thet been's rumoured to exist, Originally mentioned by Rodger himself in Steve Bryant's excellent Souled Out mag. John Ridley in his sleeve notesto the Roger Hatcher Collection CD on Expansion doubted it's existence. Cracking dancer co-written & produced by Johnnie Mae Matthews.

I collected the complete Big Hit label, this was easily the hardest to obtain, again I have never seen another copy.

End of Detroit

That posted on it's own???

BIG MAYBELLE - IT'S A MAN'S MAN'S WORLD - ROJAC 1009

Originally on Chess or was it?

Edited by selectasoul
Social source share

Guest selectasoul

I apologise about this being in pieces, but it's posting on it's own??

ALBERT JONES - I'M BUSTING NUTS - CANDY APPLE - 744 - Canadian

CLEVELAND ROBINSON - COME CHANGE YOUR NAME TO MINE - CLEVELAND ROBINSON SINGS - 2-63

JEAN WELLS - ALL THIS MADNESS - PHILA. - 1835

post-10245-1234707160_thumb.jpg

post-10245-1234707192_thumb.jpg

Edited by selectasoul
Social source share

End of Detroit

Hello Richard none of these are in any relevant quides I have ,would be handy to get some more scans up etc so we could look at production credits etc,is the Doni BURDICK track a version of Melvin Davis faith? These records definetly need discussion,veryhard these days to turn up tacks which cant be authenticated,wonder what John Mnaship thinks.

BAZ A

Social source share

Guest selectasoul

End of Detroit

post-10245-1234708820_thumb.jpg

post-10245-1234708862_thumb.jpg

Social source share

The Doni Burdick is definitely known.

Mike Bolderson wrote an article about Doni Burdick for SKM. Here's what he had to say

" "Doni met up with Ernie Stratton who owned a recording studio in Detroit. Stratton had enjoyed success with Patti Young's 'Head And Shoulders' which he had released on his Ernstrat label. After listening to Doni's recordings Stratton said that he would get him a song written by one of the Ruffin brothers. Although this song never materialised other tracks did. Brian 'Funk' Dombrowski set up a late evening recording session and two further tracks were recorded 'Faith' and 'New Rochelle'. Which were subsequently released back to back as Doni Burdick and the Fabulous Thunders on Danny Dallas' SIR label. Largely unheard of on the Northern scene' Faith' was written by Doni's friend Melvin Davies who also had the song released on the Mala label. As for the Fabulous Thunders, well, they didn't actually appear on either track but as Doni said 'a promise is a promise' and he arranged for them to appear on the credits even though they were splitting up."

Social source share

CLEVELAND ROBINSON - COME CHANGE YOUR NAME TO MINE - CLEVELAND ROBINSON SINGS - 2-63

Funnily enough I've just added this to the discography this morning, but then again, the info came from Bosko, who like yourself is a Canadian resident, so I guess you may have been in contact with either him or Martin Koppell about it (Who I know he sees regularly).

Social source share

I own the jean wells 45, it's on the red phila record like the original press of the butlers on phila (1836)

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Fantastic post this, always considered myself a collector above everything, not that interested in the "scene" etc, just love original records, always in awe of such vinyl obscurities.

I have one to contribute to this tremendous thread, it's on Pzazz but not listed (to my knowledge), perhaps Bob A you may know more ?

I talked with Ady Pountain last year at Soul Essence and he said he had a copy, be interested to know if anyone else has this.....mines a little beat but it plays just fine............ THE MISSING PZAZZ (053) 45'

THE FONDELLS ON PZAZZ.......

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

Fantastic post this, always considered myself a collector above everything, not that interested in the "scene" etc, just love original records, always in awe of such vinyl obscurities.

I have one to contribute to this tremendous thread, it's on Pzazz but not listed (to my knowledge), perhaps Bob A you may know more ?

I talked with Ady Pountain last year at Soul Essence and he said he had a copy, be interested to know if anyone else has this.....mines a little beat but it plays just fine............ THE MISSING PZAZZ (053) 45'

THE FONDELLS ON PZAZZ.......

i've seen it a couple of times, always trashed, I don't own it. got bootlegged on one of rich rosen's CDs recently.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

i've seen it a couple of times, always trashed, I don't own it. got bootlegged on one of rich rosen's CDs recently.

Thought you might know Bob, i actually prefer the flip."Young Love American Style", great vocal reminds me of Darrow Fletcher...... or the young guy from the Burke family.brilliant 45'.

Brett

Social source share

post-10245-1234707160_thumb.jpg-post-10245-1234707192_thumb.jpg

Chess_1967a_DJ-1.gif

Love Big Maybelle, Don't Remember Seeing It On Rojac Before.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Thought you might know Bob, i actually prefer the flip."Young Love American Style", great vocal reminds me of Darrow Fletcher...... or the young guy from the Burke family.brilliant 45'.

Brett

butch outbid me on one of the ones I've seen so he either has a very trashed copy in his collection or has a better copy and bought a trashed copy to sell or trade

Social source share

Guest Brett F

I know it exists but has anyone got a scan (or own's) the Blaster 45' of Tony Fox and "Love, Let Love and Be Love", i talked with Christian B from Scandanavia some years back.........and memory escapes me, he either played it and showed me at some venue, or he said he did own it? I know it is out there but it also must be a major hard 45' to acquire.

Social source share

Guest Brett F

butch outbid me on one of the ones I've seen so he either has a very trashed copy in his collection or has a better copy and bought a trashed copy to sell or trade

Hi Bob i got mine from an American dealer, the label is spoilt by writing etc and it does look as though it was dug out of the ground but it plays like a dream, infact i played it a couple of years back on Shaun Robbins Sunday Soul Radio Show.

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

I know it exists but has anyone got a scan (or own's) the Blaster 45' of Tony Fox and "Love, Let Love and Be Love", i talked with Christian B from Scandanavia some years back.........and memory escapes me, he either played it and showed me at some venue, or he said he did own it? I know it is out there but it also must be a major hard 45' to acquire.

I think Christian B has still got it.

I seem to remember that he bought it from someone here on Soul Source.

Scan:

post-1392-1234779886_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Have had the Little Sonny Green...have you had the Little Mell with Jimmy Landers also on Whip?

Had the Eldees and Jean Wells too...but never had the Tim Daugherty or Cleveland Robinson discs...are they any good?

:thumbsup:

what is the flip of the eldees? Was it good? I'd love to hear it.

Social source share

Have had the Little Sonny Green...have you had the Little Mell with Jimmy Landers also on Whip?

Had the Eldees and Jean Wells too...but never had the Tim Daugherty or Cleveland Robinson discs...are they any good?

:thumbsup:

The Tim Daugherty is pop rock so i didn't bother but i've posted the doni burdick and i'll post the dotty's 45 by little roger hatcher.

Social source share

Guest selectasoul

:shades:

Yes I still have WHIP - 347 - LITTLE MELL - AIN'T THAT FUNKY MONKEY FONKY.

Social source share

Got the 45s from Tony Fox direct. Love Let Love was only pressed in small quantities when issued a runof 100 he told me. Steve G will back me up it WAS heavily played on release. I was selling the 45 for £5 and the LP for a tenner circa 1981.

If only Id kept a few back eh - hindsight another useless skill.

Edited by glynthornhill
Social source share

okay, i have it in my hand right now. it exists. b-side is "i need you."

Social source share

Guest CliftonHall1

Richard Searling has/had Tony Fox, used to play it at Clifton Hall, nice tune :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest Brett F

Got the 45s from Tony Fox direct. Love Let Love was only pressed in small quantities when issued a runof 100 he told me. Steve G will back me up it WAS heavily played on release. I was selling the 45 for £5 and the LP for a tenner circa 1981.

If only Id kept a few back eh - hindsight another useless skill.

Hi Glyn, great story, can you settle another one of my (bad) memories , is the 45' a slightly different take to the LP ?

Just out of interest i first heard Searling play this as a new release at Clifton Hall back in the day, i think either Sean Hampsey (as he mentioned) or Steve Mannion (both dj's at Clifton) told me he played it off the LP. One last thing Glynn i met a guy (name escapes me !) at Martin Dixons Modernism night a few years back who played the Blaster LP and told me he got it as a virtual new release from Record Collector at Broomhill, Sheffield (do you remember that shop ?.It's still there, as was in only a few days back)

Brett

Edited by Brett F
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Have had the Little Sonny Green...have you had the Little Mell with Jimmy Landers also on Whip? :rolleyes:

Hi Dave - here's a scan of my Little Mell on Whip 347 thumbsup.gif

Interesting that they decided to go for a red label on this one. Also, the release number duplicates the Carol Anderson number.

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-1237049852_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert