• Replies 79
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Karen Heath

I'm gonna miss this weeks one, can someone tape it for me?

link

I'll tape it for you Tony_don't worry, I'm a whizz on the video!
Social source share

I found it eventually Karen, using the unconventional method of pasting a whole web address in Google. :lol:

Tonight's Soul Deep all about Supremes. Some Chess, nice Fontella Bass & Etta James etc. Wonder why Berry Gordy himself wasn't on there? smile.gif Only really dealt with #1 selling group at Motown. sleep3.gif Two and three in Marvin + The Temps would have been nice. :) Oh well all good stuff I spose. Otis, Pickett & Atlantic next week. :thumbsup:

Social source share

I found it eventually Karen, using the unconventional method of pasting a whole web address in Google. :lol:

Tonight's Soul Deep all about Supremes.  Some Chess, nice Fontella Bass & Etta James etc.  Wonder why Berry Gordy himself wasn't on there? smile.gif   Only really dealt with #1 selling group at Motown. sleep3.gif   Two and three in Marvin + The Temps would have been nice.  :)   Oh well all good stuff I spose.  Otis, Pickett & Atlantic next week. :thumbsup:

link

Missed opportunity...

How they could show clips of the Supremes singing drivel like "My Favourite Things" and completely omit anything by the Temptations is astounding.

Didn't even mention the shift into Psychadelic Soul and the social commentary in its lyrics.

Ah well, here's hoping next weeks is better.

Social source share

Missed opportunity...

How they could show clips of the Supremes singing drivel like "My Favourite Things" and completely omit anything by the Temptations is astounding.

Didn't even mention the shift into Psychadelic Soul and the social commentary in its lyrics.

link

Is someone taping these or better still DVDing them? Is the BBC gonna put it out on DVD...not seen an episode yet :thumbsup:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Have to agree, last nights episode was dreadful - I didn't realise the company only had one act between 1964 and 1968. A nod at the Funk Brothers but no individual names mentioned, footage that's been shown loads of times before and totally out of step with the previous episodes as far as depth goes. What a shame.

Social source share

Have to agree, last nights episode was dreadful - I didn't realise the company only had one act between 1964 and 1968.  A nod at the Funk Brothers but no individual names mentioned, footage that's been shown loads of times before and totally out of step with the previous episodes as far as depth goes.  What a shame.

link

My thoughts exactly.

Should have been called the Supremes story.

Stevie Wonder, the Temps, Smokey Robinson etc. only got a mention in passing.

Just did not have the same feel and depth as the first two episodes, and seemed to be aimed at a "pop" audience who would only remember the Supremes.

Social source share

Did anyone spot that BBC4 was showing Standing in the Shadows of Motown at the same time as Soul Deep?

link

It was on straight after Brian and as I was in I finally managed to see it wink.gif

Social source share

It was on straight after Brian and as I was in I finally managed to see it  wink.gif

link

Me too.

First time I had seen it.

I thought it was brilliant and made me feel very humble watching those fantastic musicians who obviously loved what they did and loved each other.

Social source share

Missed opportunity...

link

I agree it did apear to be out of tune with the first two episodes, however I do think thats what they were saying. This episode was about the true cross over from black only sales to major white sales. The fact of the matter is Northern Soul would not of happend with the same intensity had it not been for the Motowns POP sound, of which the Supremes are/were undoubtly the queens. I thought Etta James comment on the "Lush Sound" use of strings to soften the sound for white ears was very interesting. What are peoples thoughts on this, with the use of strings etc. being very popular in loads of Northern?

Didn't they mention Curtis Mayfields written marking a turning point in lyrics with his social commentary. Although I didn't enjoy it like I had the first two episodes, I still found it excellent Television.

Sometimes Ignorance is bliss and too much knowledge is a monkey you have to carry on that back.

Social source share

Me too.

First time I had seen it.

I thought it was brilliant and made me feel very humble watching those fantastic musicians who obviously loved what they did and loved each other.

link

So do people think that their instrumentation was soulful? Do people think the arrangers/producers work was Soulful - or just the vocal track that went on the top? wink.gif

Social source share

Guest mattmale

I agree with everyone that i would have liked to have seen more motown acts, but i think the point they were trying to make is that motown took soul in the direction of pop music and mass appeal, and The Supremes were the poppiest motown group hence the focus, and Chess and others followed suit. I could see where the producers were coming from in their 'soul history'. I wish they had focussed on Curtis Mayfield and Chicago with a nod to motown though. Curtis was as influential as Gordy as a producer.

Personally i thought last week was much better content wise, some of those gospel quartets were phonemenal. I might even hunt around for that group with the two guys sharing the mike and rocking back and forth (have to check tape to get their name) Fantastic! wink.gif

M.

Edited by mattmale
Social source share

Personally i thought last week was much better content wise, some of those gospel quartets were phonemenal. I might even hunt around for that group with the two guys sharing the mike and rocking back and forth (have to check tape to get their name) Fantastic!  wink.gif

M.

link

I'm feeling that also brother, thats been the highlight for me so far - outstanding!!!!!

Social source share

re: recording these programmes.

I've got all 3 programmes as avi files here (recorded from digital source in widescreen), and will be getting the others as they are broadcast. I'm trying to find a decent/stable public BitTorrent tracker for people to use at the moment as the files originated on a site with limited membership.

I'll keep you informed when I've resolved this, if you want any other info drop me a PM.

Ponyegg

KTF

Social source share

I've got all 3 programmes as avi files here (recorded from digital source in widescreen), and will be getting the others as they are broadcast. I'm trying to find a decent/stable public BitTorrent tracker for people to use at the moment as the files originated on a site with limited membership.

I'll keep you informed when I've resolved this, if you want any other info drop me a PM.

Ponyegg

KTF

link

That sounds good. BTW, sure do miss KTF downloads Mr Ponyegg :D

Social source share

Ponyegg

KTF

link

I understood every word of that and anyone that did not is just plain stupid :D:D
Social source share

>My first meeting with Sam Cooke came as a kid on a school trip I was about 13or 14 and on >leaving the house just picked up a tape didnt know what was on it , put my headphones on and >it was Sam this was the first time I'd heard him , so I feigned illness so I could stay on the >coach by myself and listen to the whole of the tape in amazement - GENUIS

Some things never change......

Love Sam Cooke. I do.

But still unaware that they've mentioned Jackie yet.....

The man had a miiiiles better voice, in terms of passion AND quality, than Sam.

Social source share

Love Sam Cooke. I do.

But still unaware that they've mentioned Jackie yet.....

The man had a miiiiles better voice, in terms of passion AND quality, than Sam.

link

Think they only mentioned JW in passing. I'm like you in that I love both those guys to bits, prob top 2 faves. Couldn't agree with anyone having a miles better voice than Sam, not for quality - though Jackie is as good imo. Real tough call that one.

Social source share

I understood every word of that and anyone that did not is just plain stupid :lol:   :P

link

It's easy, honestly.

You need a download client i.e. a program to download files which can be films, tv shows, music, pc programs etc. There are several of these available for free. Then you need to find the sites that hold the torrents (which is what the items are called). When you find one, you simply click the one you want, and your client will launch and start downloading that particular program. When it finishes, and in the case of something like one episode of Soul Deep, that would take about 3 hours, you are left with a yellow folder and inside this are up to 100 RAR files, each one numbered. These are the pieces of the film. You need a prog called WINRAR to unzip them - unzip the first one and the rest follow automatically, until they are all unzipped. When they are all unzipped you are left with an image file which you then simply burn onto a cd and watch on your dvd player.

The fun is finding the sites before the get shut down by the authorities, but lets just say I've seen practically every movie of the last 2 years weeks or even months before it gets show in the UK.

Social source share

It's easy, honestly.

You need a download client i.e. a program to download files which can be films, tv shows, music, pc programs etc.  There are several of these available for free.  Then you need to find the sites that hold the torrents (which is what the items are called).  When you find one, you simply click the one you want, and your client will launch and start downloading that particular program.  When it finishes, and in the case of something like one episode of Soul Deep, that would take about 3 hours, you are left with a yellow folder and inside this are up to 100 RAR files, each one numbered.  These are the pieces of the film.  You need a prog called WINRAR to unzip them - unzip the first one and the rest follow automatically, until they are all unzipped.  When they are all unzipped you are left with an image file which you then simply burn onto a cd and watch on your dvd player.

The fun is finding the sites before the get shut down by the authorities, but lets just say I've seen practically every movie of the last 2 years weeks or even months before it gets show in the UK.

link

Thanks for that.

When you put it like that it makes sense.

Social source share

Think they only mentioned JW in passing.  I'm like you in that I love both those guys to bits, prob top 2 faves.  Couldn't agree with anyone having a miles better voice than Sam, not for quality - though Jackie is as good imo.  Real tough call that one.

link

Faaabulous

Can we have a Sam/Jackie off? I'll set the bar low.

Just Be Sincere.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

HI there! Does anyone have a link for the torrent other than UKNOVA? The have closed their site for new members and I really want to see te rest of the series. I only saw two episodes. I check P2P prog's etc but I couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert