What's The Best Unissued Track Ever Discovered?

This is a tough choice because there have been some awesome previously unissued gems played over the last 30 years or so, I was thinking about "Suspicion", "Some day the sun will shine" and second best of all "The magic touch"...but the best of the lot has to be one of the first wave of unissued things Popcorn Wylie gave to John Anderson:

BETTY BOO - SAY IT ISN'T SO

what a f*cking record, never fully appreciated at the time and released to early. An absolute gem.

Social source share

• Replies 159
  • Views 12.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

kin ell Pete..tough question as there's so many....

Diane Lewis - You Ain't Got A Chance must be up there.

Kae Williams - Our Love Is Dying top tune too yes.gif

Suspicion must rate as one of the best unissued Motown along with Temptations - C'mon Back To Me Baby.

Social source share

Deon Jackson - Someday the sun will shine yes.gif

link

Ah already mentioned up top. Still has to be the best imo. Magic touch, good call. What about that Gerri Granger c/u Ady plays - Why can't it be tonight. Awesome.

Edited by Ian Sims
Social source share

A record whose unreleased status always staggers me is Garland Green's "Come Through Me." So much better than anything GG did get released by Spring at the time.

The unreleased Motown material is a fascinating topic. I wonder how the production meeting where "Suspicion" was binned went: the simple fact is they didn't get it too wrong too often, there was such a sheer wealth of quality material to choose from that gems were bound to be relegated. My own favourite unreleased record from this source is Eddie Holland's "Daydreamer". Can anyone post up a soundfile of this marvellous track?

Social source share

I still get a buzz from some of RCA stuff left in the can.

Sharon Scott - "I'm not afraid" and "Lock and Key"

Willie Kendrick - She'll be Leaving You"

Kenny Carter - "What's That on Your Finger"

All great sounds. Can we expect more from this label?

Godz

Social source share

A record whose unreleased status always staggers me is Garland Green's "Come Through Me." So much better than anything GG did get released by Spring at the time.

How spooky, I was just listing to this as I read this thread! This is what I'd call a "beautiful" song.  I presume it got binned because of the similarity of the lyrics and a well known quote from the bible?

The unreleased Motown material is a fascinating topic. I wonder how the production meeting where "Suspicion" was binned went: the simple fact is they didn't get it too wrong too often, there was such a sheer wealth of quality material to choose from that gems were bound to be relegated.

Amazingly, it got 'binned' on all three of it's outings!

My own favourite unreleased record from this source is Eddie Holland's "Daydreamer". Can anyone post up a soundfile of this marvellous track?

link

Yes, when I can find it.

Social source share

OK I'm getting a bit confused now - enclosed is a sample of the version I had years ago which I thought didn't have the funny intro - but it does - but it's n ot the same as the one I don't like...and I've got it listed as THE VOLCANOS

Social source share

OK I'm getting a bit confused now - enclosed is a sample of the version I had years ago which I thought didn't have the funny intro - but it does - but it's n ot the same as the one I don't like...and I've got it listed as THE VOLCANOS

Social source share

link

Won't open for some reason, kep getting error message files missing....

Volcanoes is what Butch covered it up as.

Social source share

I still get a buzz from some of RCA stuff left in the can.

Sharon Scott - "I'm not afraid" and  "Lock and Key"

Willie Kendrick - She'll be Leaving You"

Kenny Carter - "What's That on Your Finger"

All great sounds. Can we expect more from this label?

Godz

link

Straight up, I didn't think any of those RCA things were as good as a lot of people reckoned - they were good alright, but too many to take in at one time - none are a match for I'll Always Need You or Change Your Ways

n.b. except You Only Live Twice, that was F*cking phenomenal

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

I've never heard this version before. Has a completely different vocal to the classic mix of the track, and, as you say Pete, an extraneous keyboard sound throughout.

Crap (IMHO) compared to the acetate as played out by the great and good.

Social source share

I've never heard this version before. Has a completely different vocal to the classic mix of the track, and, as you say Pete, an extraneous keyboard sound throughout.

link

After listening to it, this is the first one I heard and the one I prefer to the other one!

Social source share

link

Well Mrs G (who loves this song) just pricked her ears up and said "That's a nice version - I like the different vocal"

Godz

Social source share

link

After listening to it, this is the first one I heard and the one I prefer to the other one!

link

from what I can hear over the tinny internal speaker this is the version played by the great an good...Butch wink.gif The other version Rob Thomas plays is an acetate also, different mix I think to the one Butch plays.

all versions Northern Soul as good as it gets :thumbsup:

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Just a few i love.

Lou Johnson : Panic Is On

Barbara McNair : You Beat Me To The Punch

Danny Cobus : The Two Of Us

Wee Willie Walker :I Don't Want to Take A Chance (Now released by Kent...does this count ?)

Leo Wright : Baby Don't You Do It (Philadelphia acetate c/up from R Searling)

wish i had all night.....good topic..... :thumbsup:

Social source share

The unreleased Motown material is a fascinating topic. My own favourite unreleased record from this source is Eddie Holland's "Daydreamer". Can anyone post up a soundfile of this marvellous track?

link

A fantastic tune indeed. Sadly I can not do RA`s but can tell you that along with this Jobete Acetate I also purchased another really great uptempo Motown tune in the shape of the Valadiers "Tell All Your Friends"...even Tim Brown likes it :thumbsup:

Social source share

Brett: you may be interested to know that the Wee Willie Walker was issued in Japan in the late 70s on a Vivid Sound/Goldwax album. It's a version without horns and backing vocals, and to me, even better! Credit must go to my old George Jackson compardre, Noss, who hammered this brilliant track at every opportunity for years.

Social source share

Blimey - I forgot Little Ann "what Should I Do" aka "When He's Not Around" - Patience Valentine.

That's got to be among the best. :thumbsup:

Godz

link

Rose Valentine mate, and yes, that is absolutely fantastic, not the one kent put out but the original one Searling used to play...the Kent one is great but just not quite as good. And what about Who Are You Trying To Fool - fantastic - and the instrumental version, just as good.

Social source share

Rose Valentine mate, and yes, that is absolutely fantastic, not the one kent put out but the original one Searling used to play...the Kent one is great but just not quite as good.  And what about Who Are You Trying To Fool - fantastic - and the instrumental version, just as good.

link

oops - Patience? where the fcuk did that come from? wink.gif

Used to make my hair stand up at Wigan. Didn't even realise at the time that it was unissued, I just thought it was a fantastic cover-up.

Slightly off subject but it's more ammo to use against the "Wigan was all crap pop" brigade :thumbsup:

Godz

Social source share

I'm amazed that so many people like Deon Jackson. To my mind it just isn't a soul record. Nor is it good in any way at all.

It's mindless pop pap in the same league as the lesser talented British performers of the 60s such as Freddie Garraty and as someone else mentioned before, Gerry Marsden.

I would be embarrassed to play this to anyone.

Perhaps I'm misssing something. Would genuninely appreciate it if those who rate this record so highly could enlightpensando.gifen me.

Edited by Billy Freemantle
Social source share

Brett: you may be interested to know that the Wee Willie Walker was issued in Japan in the late 70s on a Vivid Sound/Goldwax album. It's a version without horns and backing vocals, and to me, even better! Credit must go to my old George Jackson compardre, Noss, who hammered this brilliant track at every opportunity for years.

link

Thanks Gareth never knew that, like to hear this version. :thumbsup:

Brett

Social source share

Rose Valentine mate, and yes, that is absolutely fantastic, not the one kent put out but the original one Searling used to play...the Kent one is great but just not quite as good.  And what about Who Are You Trying To Fool - fantastic - and the instrumental version, just as good.

link

Pete always thought R Searlings "Little Ann" acetate was the same, just pitched a little faster ?

Social source share

I'm amazed that so many people like Deon Jackson. To my mind it just isn't a soul record. Nor is it good in any way at all.

It's  mindless pop pap in the same league as the lesser talented British performers of the 60s such as Freddie Garraty and as someone else mentioned before, Gerry Marsden.

Perhaps I'm misssing something. Would genuninely appreciate it if those who rate this record so highly could enlightpensando.gifen me.

link

:thumbsup:wink.gifshades.gif:ohmy:yes.gif:yes:

Godz

Social source share

My three would have to be-

Deon Jackson

Maxine Brown - It's Torture

Alfreda Brockington - Spilt Milk

link

Chuck Jackson - 'What's With The Loneliness' takes some beating with Melba Moore -'Magic Touch' a close second, the Motown stuff was outstanding but Mr Croasdell has very much had the pick of the bunch over the years even up to most recently with the superb Jackie Lee - 'Anything You Wank' AKA 'Any Way You Want' how Mirwood never put this out at the time is a real puzzle to me, The Diplomats - 'Perfect Love' are two outstanding tracks, Wee Willie Walker - 'I Don't Want To Take A Chance' with horns out of the Goldwax vaults has to be one of the best tunes i've heard in years, a tune i've known about for about 15 years as it featured on one of two Japanese import CD's which also featured Spencer Wiggins another gem.

Regards - Mark Bicknell

Social source share

Pete likes this version, I think

link

Remember having the "Rose Valentine" on a tape from one of RS radio shows 20+ years back, then playing it side by side with the then newly released Kent CD (with the uncovered Little Ann tape) it was definitely(slightly) faster......

Social source share

Guest hammy

I really like

Little Ann - Long, lean lanky Daddy

but not sure whether it was issued or not so,er, if it was... whoops :thumbsup:

I'm sure someone will correct me if it was.

Hammy

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Can't believe that nobody has mentioned Art Gentry - This is my chance or The Sanfransican TKO's or Peggy Gaines all superb finds by Ady and the Kentish types :thumbsup:

Agree with the Willie Walker, Betty Boo and Garland Green coments so far :ohmy:

And it's deffo Gerry Marsden not Freddy Garritty wink.gifshades.gif I actually really like the record but it still sounds like the old scouser to me :yes:

Social source share

It's  mindless pop pap in the same league as the lesser talented British performers of the 60s such as Freddie Garraty and as someone else mentioned before, Gerry Marsden.

link

I rather think you are Billy. Go out and come in again :thumbsup:

Social source share

link

Its good but not up there with the best in my opinion. Thats What You Do To Me pisses all over it if you ask me!

Social source share

Agree with Mark Bicknell about Chuck Jackson "What`s with this loneliness" Also Gareth and John`s choices (Art Gentry etc) are also top notch. Vying for top spot with Chuck Jackson for me though is John Edwards "Walls that seperate us" Simply one of the greatest ballads ever recorded.Thanks to Ady (yet again !) for making this available).

Mark H

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert