• Views 22.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

"Move on up" Sorry no. Bobbins!!

ROD

You won't believe this but I had a bet with myself that the first person who said they didn't have a copy would be you, Rod. Not sure why either - have you stated before that you're not keen? Bedtime now so maybe I'll find out in the morning.

Godz

ps - you're wrong, clearly :lol:

Social source share

You won't believe this but I had a bet with myself that the first person who said they didn't have a copy would be you, Rod. Not sure why either - have you stated before that you're not keen? Bedtime now so maybe I'll find out in the morning.

Godz

ps - you're wrong, clearly :lol:

Again not Northern really [so you wouldn't expect a NS fan to have it] and more suited to it's place on the album. Even then there are better tracks like "We are the people darker..." and "The makings of you".

ROD

Social source share

ok, to tidy things up, just reply to the ones you don't have & if someone else has already crossed it off, you don't have to. obviously you have to have a ok sized collection to play (whoever said they only own 1 45 is possibly not helping...). I'll have to go through the posts I missed today to try & decipher what 45s are still active & what is out. ps. I did go on ebay out of interest to search that Spyder Turner but couldn't find any....... maybe it isn't as common as it once was (or I screwed up the search)... :-)

Social source share

You absolutely have to be thinking generic for it to work, ie. think of a 45 that should appeal to most regardless of it being northern or standard.

From what I can work out, the still active ones are:

Showstoppers - Houseparty

Bettye Swann - Make Me Yours

Contours - Misunderstanding

how about

Barbara Acklin - Am I The Same Girl?

Social source share

Again not Northern really [so you wouldn't expect a NS fan to have it] and more suited to it's place on the album. Even then there are better tracks like "We are the people darker..." and "The makings of you".

ROD

Really? I'm sure you remember Dave Evison playing Move On Up as a 'reactivated oldie' at W*g*n. Whether it was actually activated in the first point is a moot point maybe, but I certainly recall hoovering up copies rom Oldham market after he first played it and flogging them in the bar the following week. So played at a major venue, danced to and demand enough to be bought and sold in the record bar yet not NS?

However, that's just an observation and I guess the argument about definition is just academic in this context if you don't have a copy.

More to the point, nz45s - If you have three records still in the running why add another?

Social source share

You absolutely have to be thinking generic for it to work, ie. think of a 45 that should appeal to most regardless of it being northern or standard.

From what I can work out, the still active ones are:

Showstoppers - Houseparty NO

Bettye Swann - Make Me Yours NO

Contours - Misunderstanding NO

how about

Barbara Acklin - Am I The Same Girl? NO

Mark

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

Showstoppers - Houseparty

Contours - Misunderstanding

You're doing it right P.

So just these two in the running for now until someone comes on and does not have a copy

ROD

Just a little Misunderstanding...................just about sums it up!...............or maybe not!

Steve J

Social source share

That's already discounted Gareth. Mark b and Trevski don't appear to have any of those earlier listed. So we need a new title.

Bobby Hebb Love love love?

Tony Clarke Landslide?

That'll teach me to read the entire thread.

It would seem from the fulsome praise that it's receiving on other areas of the site that the record which unites this sometimes disparate scene (and would appear to be in most collections) is none other than 'Elusive' by Babe Ruth.

"Who knew" as the yanks are fond of saying.

Social source share

That'll teach me to read the entire thread.

It would seem from the fulsome praise that it's receiving on other areas of the site that the record which unites this sometimes disparate scene (and would appear to be in most collections) is none other than 'Elusive' by Babe Ruth.

"Who knew" as the yanks are fond of saying.

A favourite of the wife actually but whilst Im here it wont pass the doorstep so Im sorry but that's out. Still Bobby and Tony then.

ROD

Social source share

A favourite of the wife actually but whilst Im here it wont pass the doorstep so Im sorry but that's out. Still Bobby and Tony then.

ROD

Think if Bobby and Tony are the only 2 still live is it not best that no more are added till these 2 are discounted? Saves on the confusion,

Pete E

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

How about Curtis Mayfield - Move On Up? Who's going to be the first to say they ain't got one of those?

...Me. Still waiting for a US copy to turn up at a Rounce-friendly price. Never owned a UK Buddah copy, always used to play it off the LP...

Social source share

ok, to tidy things up, just reply to the ones you don't have & if someone else has already crossed it off, you don't have to. obviously you have to have a ok sized collection to play (whoever said they only own 1 45 is possibly not helping...). I'll have to go through the posts I missed today to try & decipher what 45s are still active & what is out. ps. I did go on ebay out of interest to search that Spyder Turner but couldn't find any....... maybe it isn't as common as it once was (or I screwed up the search)... :-)

Maybe it would be a good idea to say what qualifies as a limit to the minimum size of a record collection. The smaller the collection, the unliklier it is to contain a record, no matter how popular. I've been surprised by the fact that certain 45's are not in peoples collections and also that certain records I don't have in mine appear to be popular amongst others. Good game, though :thumbsup:

Social source share

Maybe it would be a good idea to say what qualifies as a limit to the minimum size of a record collection. The smaller the collection, the unliklier it is to contain a record, no matter how popular. I've been surprised by the fact that certain 45's are not in peoples collections and also that certain records I don't have in mine appear to be popular amongst others. Good game, though :thumbsup:

I think it would make an interesting thread as to why some people don't have these records in their collection.

ROD

Social source share

Bobby Hebb Love love love? NO

Tony Clarke Landslide NO

That's the lot then I think smile.gif

How about ...

JJ Barnes - Please let me in?

Is Edwin Starr - Back Street not still in the running?

Just been back through the thread and not seen it discounted yet?

*Edit - Sorry, forget that. Just spotted the last part of mark.b's post at the top of this page relating to having no motown related in his collection.

*2nd Edit - Would that not apply to JJ Barnes - Please Let Me in aswell being a Ric-Tic record?

Edited by Blunny
Social source share

Is Edwin Starr - Back Street not still in the running?

Just been back through the thread and not seen it discounted yet?

*Edit - Sorry, forget that. Just spotted the last part of mark.b's post at the top of this page relating to having no motown related in his collection.

*2nd Edit - Would that not apply to JJ Barnes - Please Let Me in aswell being a Ric-Tic record?

Maybe.

But just to avoid any confusion and in the absence of NZ let's go with

JJ Barnes Please let me in

JJ Barnes Real Humdinger

Laura Lee To win your heart

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

Maybe.

But just to avoid any confusion and in the absence of NZ let's go with

JJ Barnes Please let me in

JJ Barnes Real Humdinger

Laura Lee To win your heart

Still got none of those, have not got a lot of detroit stuff i am not a big Motown fan, and i do have a rerasonable collection about 1500 singles and about 40 albums. as rod is slghtly avers to 70's i think we should steer clear of those.

mark

Social source share

Still got none of those, have not got a lot of detroit stuff i am not a big Motown fan, and i do have a rerasonable collection about 1500 singles and about 40 albums. as rod is slghtly avers to 70's i think we should steer clear of those.

mark

OK so none in running again. Do you want to put forward three titles Mark?

ROD

Social source share

No to first two so just

Jackie Wilson I've lost you

And add a couple to replace your first two

Dells Run for cover

Frankie Beverly If that's what...

Think NZ said boots or re-issues do count.

ROD

Run for cover - NO

P :lol:

What about Tainted Love??

Edited by paup-ine
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!