The Northern Soul Track You Hate / Dislike

• Replies 50
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Why so many of these negative record threads?

One of the great things about the fanzines of old was reading record reviews where people were bursting with enthusiasm in trying to spread the word about under-heard music. Nowadays it seems that it's easy to sit in front of a monitor and produce lists of crap records. It strikes me as peurile and counter-productive.

Social source share

Why so many of these negative record threads?

One of the great things about the fanzines of old was reading record reviews where people were bursting with enthusiasm in trying to spread the word about under-heard music. Nowadays it seems that it's easy to sit in front of a monitor and produce lists of crap records. It strikes me as peurile and counter-productive.

Its not peurile or counter-productive its fun it brings back memories and if we are honest there were and still are some awful sounds being played :ohmy:

Music is fun dont take it to seriosly mate :lol:

Social source share

Guest sarahleen

I walked away .......... i wish he would! cant stand it :ohmy:

also I'll hold you (Frankie n Johnny)..... bloody awful

whilst we're at it, that other THING , How can i ever find a way (Carol n Jerry i think) ... arrrggggghhhhh :rolleyes:

thmbdn.gif

yes

i cant stand that- janice- thing either, especially the bit were he says "you can do it darling baby" :lol:

stop critisizing janice and telling her what to do , and whats it got to do with him anyway ?

Social source share

Its not peurile or counter-productive its fun it brings back memories and if we are honest there were and still are some awful sounds being played :thumbsup:

Music is fun dont take it to seriosly mate :thumbup:

Well said Mark,I put up this thread as an fun based idea,Not to slag anyone Dj's or artists,and as you said there are and where some crappy tracks,but not everyone will agree with my or other peoples idea of fun or my personal dislikes of certain records,

And for the record I think that Barbara Mills "Queen of Fool's" is a crap track also,

DING DING Round 2,

Grant

Edited by grantdyche
Social source share

Guest marge

Don't know the history of where and when it got / gets played, have only heard it out in the last year or two, but 'after closing time' - is it Hal or Al Frazer? sorry I don't know... can only imagine dad dancing and jazz hands aplenty to this one.

Never liked Dean Parrish - Determination

Doris Troy - I'll do anything (that tinkly piano bit, just too twee, oddly those two triangle notes on Monique and the other version / Challenge my love doesn't detract from the rest of the track for me like those 4 notes do on the Doris Troy track). I also hate the bloody lyrics (to Doris Troy).

Naughty Boy - aaaargh.

and yet again am I out of kelter because I love 'I'm on my way' and Jimmy Radcliffe, Long after...

nevermind

Social source share

There are a lot on here with the same point of view. If they don't like it it isn't northern it's RnB or it's pop or it's country, or it's rock and roll or cowboy music or by a white artist etc etc.

So you don't like something, so what, get over it. tongue.gif

Music is all about opinion that's what makes it so special

Social source share

There are a lot on here with the same point of view. If they don't like it it isn't northern it's RnB or it's pop or it's country, or it's rock and roll or cowboy music or by a white artist etc etc.

So you don't like something, so what, get over it. :unsure:

Music is all about opinion that's what makes it so special

The point of this thread is to discuss the tunes you don't like,not as I have stated before to have a go at anyone,Just to say I don't like a certain song / record,

As for country/rock n roll/ RnB/White artist,does it matter if you dont like eggs with your chips you would'nt buy eggs,If there are songs you dont like you dont buy / dance to it would you!!,

Its not a crime to have an opinion,and I quote yourself"Music is all about opinion that's what makes it so special",

And just for the record, I also think that "Superlove" by David & the Giants is a crap track also

DING DING Round 3

Grant

Social source share

The point of this thread is to discuss the tunes you don't like,not as I have stated before to have a go at anyone,Just to say I don't like a certain song / record,

As for country/rock n roll/ RnB/White artist,does it matter if you dont like eggs with your chips you would'nt buy eggs,If there are songs you dont like you dont buy / dance to it would you!!,

Its not a crime to have an opinion,and I quote yourself"Music is all about opinion that's what makes it so special",

And just for the record, I also think that "Superlove" by David & the Giants is a crap track also

DING DING Round 3

Grant

What happened to round 2? :rolleyes:

My point wasn't about people having an opinion it was the use of labels by many on here as a way of justifying why they don't like a particular record and a subtle way of deriding those that do like it. I realise you haven't done this in this thread but it happens.

As it happens I don't buy records I don't like but I don't dismiss them either (or for that matter the people that like them).

This scene can just be so negative sometimes. If you don't like something fine what you telling me for? I'd rather know what you do like and hopefully you can open my ears to something new and interesting I didn't know before. This forum is great at doing that.

Just an opinion :yes::lol:

Social source share

Guest imcomunhome

What happened to round 2? :rolleyes:

My point wasn't about people having an opinion it was the use of labels by many on here as a way of justifying why they don't like a particular record and a subtle way of deriding those that do like it. I realise you haven't done this in this thread but it happens.

As it happens I don't buy records I don't like but I don't dismiss them either (or for that matter the people that like them).

This scene can just be so negative sometimes. If you don't like something fine what you telling me for? I'd rather know what you do like and hopefully you can open my ears to something new and interesting I didn't know before. This forum is great at doing that.

Just an opinion :lol::lol:

:

Wise words. Lets just get on and enjoy the music ... all except for this track that is: After years of trying i still cant get my head around Travis Wamack's 'Scratchy'. Whats that all about then :yes: !

Social source share

i never liked "you didnt say a word" yvonne baker, and still dont, i also dont like "sleepless nights", i dont know why, i just dont, troy dodds "try my love" and smoke "so glad you came along" also not on my likes list, still cant play yvonne baker all the way through on cd or whatever, hate it, peggy march as well, oh well it takes all sorts, oh and i forgot "room full of tears", i,m now going to play janice to cheere myself up

Social source share

I once played Something new to do, to a workmate who had a liking for soul .After taking off the earphones i asked him what he thought, thinking he,d be blown away ,his words were sounds like Neil Sedaka . And he was right to my ears , now whenever i hear it played Oh Carol comes to mind.

Social source share

I once played Something new to do, to a workmate who had a liking for soul .After taking off the earphones i asked him what he thought, thinking he,d be blown away ,his words were sounds like Neil Sedaka . And he was right to my ears , now whenever i hear it played Oh Carol comes to mind.

?

Social source share

Guest ritchie

Call Me - Eddie Bishop

I know a lot of people adore it ..but it just bothers me.

Also anything by Bobby Goldsboro. (except Honey)

Social source share

YEP,YEP,YEP!!

also The Delites -Lover,

neither Rock and Roll nor Doowop,

but sounding like the worst of both

Tony

How about

RAIN - OUT OF MIND

AL WILSON - THE SNAKE

SIDNEY BARNES - STANDING ON SOLID GROUND

ABSOLUTE PANTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

What happened to round 2? :D

Just an opinion :wicked:biggrin.gif

A good point and well made,

As for round 2,there was never a round 1 really,It's just my way of of trying to encourage the discussion,

Something I say to my mates,To prompt them to reply,

As for the thread,It's just something I thought of after looking at some of my old vinyl(non of them original I must add)

And thinking that I would never buy some of them now,If I was 15-16 again,

To be truthful I bought a real pile of cack in the 70's,Just to say that I had them and to be part of the"SCENE"

I was only a kid and anything that had a Northern connection to it was cool,

I was never and still are'nt a vinyl only type of person,If it sounds good,and it was good to dance to I would probably buy it,Cd, mp3,tape,vinyl,

I remember running to our local shop to buy the Capreez " How to make a sad man glad"

It cost 75p (most uk singles at the time were about 45p)taking it back to my mates house to play it,How much they all said,It only lasts 1 minute 57 seconds,

Inky Dinky Wang Dang Doo,is another,I only bought it for the Woo bit,so I knew when to throw my arms up in the air,Would I or yourself rush to buy these songs now!!

The point I was trying to make in this thread,Is that every track vocal or instrumental that has been played on the Northern Scene,Is not a classic tune,there are more good than bad to be true,But there are some real stinkers,

The point about white / coloured artists is a no go area for me,The artist could be Pink with Green spots on there bums for all I care,If it's soul then that's what it is,

Cheers and KTF

Grant

Social source share

Guest JerryL

There was so many its hard to choose, and they were mostly played at wigan in the later years realy.

Any simon Soussan made rubbish, but the one that used to make me spit rocks was: PRESENT - MANYS A SLIP :wanker: :thmbdn: :thumbsup:

Listen to the words for f***'s sake its shite!...............must have been written in 3 minutes

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bazabod_downunder

I absolutely detest & hate with a passion Wade In The Water by anyone....Marlena Shaw, Little Sonny, Ramsey Lewis & even your grandmother....just really annoys me, much to the amusment of other people who take great pleasure in making sure that I know the piece of shite is being spun.

KTF

Baz

Social source share

I wouldn't say this is a negative thread as such, we all have tracks we don't quite get.

But what I will say is, and I have just skimmed the thread, that the tracks that people generally have knocked may never heard those tracks that they supposedly hate in contex.

'Diamond Ring' is a killer. :rolleyes:

Just proving that this kind of thread is subjective.

Social source share

absolutely detest & hate with a passion Wade In The Water by anyone

I find that a very odd statement Bazza.

If I was being an arse I could say that by your statement alone you don't really accept or understand quality music.

I mean, could you go into a studio and come out with something anywhere near 'WITW'.

Answer: Could you f***!

Ramsey Lewis etc etc, after years of musical tuition write, produce and come out of a studio with an iconic production that still stands up today, and will for another 100 years....but it don't meet your standards.

Trust me, neither I, Ramsey, or real music lovers give a shiny one about your gelded views.

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

You really do spout a load of bollocks sometimes.....no I stand corrected, actually alot.....the thread asked the question 'The Northern Soul Track You Hate / Dislike' to which I duly replied (as have others), but as per usual you resort to derision & demeaning replies to anyone who has an opinion which is contary to your own, I'm not knocking Ramsey Lewis's ability in any shape or form other than just the simple fact that I do not like 'Wade In The Water' by whoever, whenever or wherever........but obviously you like everything that's played out...there a fair few tracks on this thread mentioned by others as pet hates which I adore, do I resort to personal abuse because I disagree, nup, each to their own....& in reply to your own internal question about youself....I'd have to agree.

KTF

Baz

l

I find that a very odd statement Bazza.

If I was being an arse I could say that by your statement alone you don't really accept or understand quality music.

I mean, could you go into a studio and come out with something anywhere near 'WITW'.

Answer: Could you f***!

Ramsey Lewis etc etc, after years of musical tuition write, produce and come out of a studio with an iconic production that still stands up today, and will for another 100 years....but it don't meet your standards.

Trust me, neither I, Ramsey, or real music lovers give a shiny one about your gelded views.

Edited by bazabod_downunder
Social source share

You really do spout a load of bollocks sometimes.....no I stand corrected, actually alot.....the thread asked the question 'The Northern Soul Track You Hate / Dislike' to which I duly replied (as have others), but as per usual you resort to derision & demeaning replies to anyone who has an opinion which is contary to your own, I'm not knocking Ramsey Lewis's ability in any shape or form other than just the simple fact that I do not like 'Wade In The Water' by whoever, whenever or wherever........but obviously you like everything that's played out...there a fair few tracks on this thread mentioned by others as pet hates which I adore, do I resort to personal abuse because I disagree, nup, each to their own....& in reply to your own internal question about youself....I'd have to agree.

KTF

Baz

l

Well said pal but have you heard it by The Angelic Choir on Savoy?

Cheers

ROB :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest bazabod_downunder

No I haven't.....thanks for the heads up, maybe this one will be the one I actually can bear, but I wouldn't put too much hope on it...lol....just to add the other artists that have recorded this track that unfortunately I'm 'apparently' too souless to appreciate.

Mikey Boy

Apostles Of Music

Ramada Singers

Brass Union

Big Mama Thornton

KTF

Baz

Well said pal but have you heard it by The Angelic Choir on Savoy?

Cheers

ROB :lol:

Edited by bazabod_downunder
Social source share

No I haven't.....thanks for the heads up, maybe this one will be the one I actually can bear, but I wouldn't put too much hope on it...lol....just to add the other artists that have recorded this track that unfortunately I'm 'apparently' too souless to appreciate.

Mikey Boy

Apostles Of Music

Ramada Singers

Brass Union

Big Mama Thornton

KTF

Baz

Well its a gospel version mate so you never know you might be "converted"! :lol:

Best

ROB

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert