Big Boots

Guest Bogue

Guest Bogue

Also with Steve Manion's thirst for 'boot' threads in mind biggrin.gif ......But as anyone ever seen a 12" boot ?

Was just thinking...there are some reasonably rare LP's & 12"s out there so why have the bootleggers/counterfeiters stayed clear ? Or have they ?

It's something i've sometimes wondered when buying LP's....there is no published guide as there is with 45's...I know the feel & look of the outer & inner sleeve plays a part...along with the weight of the vinyl....but I have had some where i've thought "Everything looks right, but how can the record be so well kept & the sleeves be almost trashed".

Anyone ?

Social source share

• Replies 28
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Also with Steve Manion's thirst for 'boot' threads in mind :shades: ......But as anyone ever seen a 12" boot ?

Was just thinking...there are some reasonably rare LP's & 12"s out there so why have the bootleggers/counterfeiters stayed clear ? Or have they ?

It's something i've sometimes wondered when buying LP's....there is no published guide as there is with 45's...I know the feel & look of the outer & inner sleeve plays a part...along with the weight of the vinyl....but I have had some where i've thought "Everything looks right, but how can the record be so well kept & the sleeves be almost trashed".

Anyone ?

angry.gif

Its your mate Bearsy not me.

I was only pointing out the Travelling mans posts.

(Thought you'd have been on last night, at the latest, to be honest :( )

btw. I think Cunnie has a King Tutt 12" boot :lol:

Edited by SteveM
Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

Also with Steve Manion's thirst for 'boot' threads in mind biggrin.gif ......But as anyone ever seen a 12" boot ?

Anyone ?

What about Alfie Davidson 12",think that got booted!

Social source share

Also with Steve Manion's thirst for 'boot' threads in mind :lol: ......But as anyone ever seen a 12" boot ?

Anyone ?

here's something that might be of interest thumbsup.gif

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/-t76733...ing#entry819877

Social source share

Guest Bogue

:shades:

(Thought you'd have been on last night, at the latest, to be honest :D )

btw. I think Cunnie has a King Tutt 12" boot :(

:D

:) What...me gloat about football ?....the very thought ! :D

here's something that might be of interest thumbsup.gif

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/-t76733...ing#entry819877

:lol: Couldn't remember that thread....... :g: Is it original though Mike ?....those colored in words look a bit dodgy :D

Very nearly bought one of those 'Love Committee' 12"s recently....nice tune :D

Reading that thread I noticed 'Ironside' (Peter99) popped up a few times....is he OK ?...can't recall him being on for quite a while. Anyone in touch with him ?

Social source share

:lol:

(Thought you'd have been on last night, at the latest, to be honest :D )

btw. I think Cunnie has a King Tutt 12" boot ohmy.gif

Think you mean Cunnie has a 12" carver of the unreleased full length version that's different to the Fun City 12" version that came directly from the studio mastertape :thumbsup:

Yum Yums Steve :lol::)

Social source share

I have a one-sided white label 12" of Jackie Ross - Trust in me. Can't remember when or where I picked it up, but presume to be a boot. As its only a 2/3 minute song the record groove starts half way through. Why a 45 wasn't made I don't know?

wasn't they legit... story behind them i think can't remember :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Byrney

loads of classic house tracks got booted. With 3 or 4 unrelated tracks all together on same 12".

for example : Jimi Polo "better days" everyone I know had a boot of that

didn't Mass Order Lift Every Voice boots, made from tapes stolen at The New Music seminar in NY sell for big bucks prior to release? Sure there was a 12" boot EP in late 80s with stuff like Skip Mahoney Janice on it.

Social source share

Also with Steve Manion's thirst for 'boot' threads in mind :thumbsup: ......But as anyone ever seen a 12" boot ?

Anyone ?

Quite the opposite Mr Bouges, almost every LP has been reissued in a very close look alike sleeve and label etc, I have always assumed they are boots but am using re-issue to be polite!! Seriously LP's are now a nightmare trying to figure out what is real or otherwise.

The !2" is a more interesting question as there are lots of Boogie 12"'s that sell for a fortune, so assume there must be some bootleg equivalent but not sure actually, an interesting question. In NY you always find strange looking 12"'s that I always assume are boots but to be honest I do not know about these.

didn't Mass Order Lift Every Voice boots, made from tapes stolen at The New Music seminar in NY sell for big bucks prior to release? Sure there was a 12" boot EP in late 80s with stuff like Skip Mahoney Janice on it.

Yes that was the white label mix that was only released on the double pack promo that was so hard to find until Mr Kerr found about 6 of them in a shop in Musselburgh, one of which I have nestling nicely on the shelves, I think the original boot was changing hands for scary money at the time.

Back in the day :lol: :lol:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Quite the opposite Mr Bouges, almost every LP has been reissued in a very close look alike sleeve and label etc, I have always assumed they are boots but am using re-issue to be polite!! Seriously LP's are now a nightmare trying to figure out what is real or otherwise.

Are a lot of those re-issues not kosher then Jock ?.....really shocked at that! ...I presume we are talking about the ones that are openly advertised as re-issues here though ?

:) Back to the booting issue...I guess it's much easier to pass off a fake LP on the likes of Ebay than it is with a 45....so long as you have the authentic sleeve only the most gened up of buyer is going to be 100% certain of the vinyl put in it.

Social source share

Are a lot of those re-issues not kosher then Jock ?.....really shocked at that! ...I presume we are talking about the ones that are openly advertised as re-issues here though ?

:) Back to the booting issue...I guess it's much easier to pass off a fake LP on the likes of Ebay than it is with a 45....so long as you have the authentic sleeve only the most gened up of buyer is going to be 100% certain of the vinyl put in it.

I am really not sure, I just know that in the States these days the "re-issue" stuff is everywhere, anyone else got views on whether they are kosher or not?

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Is it just me or my eyesight but somehow the title of this topic always plays tricks on my mind. Is it   Freudian Slip or maybe just my dodgy eyesight!"? I wonder :D:D:):lol:

:lol: Just a dirty mind :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

Ah well fair enough :D:D

I always think on similar lines when ever I post in 'Look at your box'

Around this area 'Box' was a slang term for the female nether regions :lol::thumbup:

:) Best get back on topic though.

Social source share

Allegedly one of the major iconic NYC producers fron the 7ts onwards, will regularly press up in demand 12's........ :) ........as they either owned the labels or produced the tracks, you could argue they have a right to do this, however if they no longer own the rights.........?. This is pretty much common knowledge & almost a joke within collecting circles of this genre.

There are boots/reissues out there of almost every collectable genre & format, we are pretty clued up on the vintage soul stuff, but as we spread our wings its easy to get caught out.

Russ

Social source share

didn't Mass Order Lift Every Voice boots, made from tapes stolen at The New Music seminar in NY sell for big bucks prior to release?

Correct I think - the "Bootleg mix" then appeared on the flip of the official 33rpm 7" single.

Another one - Garfield Fleming on a red label boot with James Masons "Sweet Power" and a couple more, picked up in London late 80's/early 90's.

Social source share

Think you mean Cunnie has a 12" carver of the unreleased full length version that's different to the Fun City 12" version that came directly from the studio mastertape :D

Yum Yums Steve :thumbup::lol:

Sorry Martin, its the remix isn't it wicked.gif

As for Yum Yums, do you mean the one I got off Errol and never played out, or the one I got a month later and do play ? tongue.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert