Artists And/or Labels Without Any Cd Compilations?

Derek Pearson

It's rumoured Santa Claus once said 'So much music so little time' (or summat vaguely similar......)

I only wish he'd left me a few more pairs of ears under the Christmas tree.

However can you think of any artists and/or labels that haven't had any sort of CD compilation release yet?

A few I've often wondered about which are: 

Chuck Bernard (covering all his Zodiac releases onwards)

Lee Moses (His Dynamo & Musicor releases to start with)

Fantastic Four (Ric Tic to Motown period)

Way Out label (everything)

Saru label (Out Of Sights etc)

Ovide label (everything)

I admit though I haven't done any google leg work investigating any of these above.

Derek

Edited by Derek Pearson
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

golden world , wingate , soul clock rictic  dont have full releases on cd and there isnt many duke compilations available afaik

The Duke of Soul ... 8 volumes

post-13147-0-77720100-1388225651_thumb.j

post-13147-0-03920700-1388225653_thumb.j

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

It's rumoured Santa Claus once said 'So much music so little time' (or summat vaguely similar......)

However can you think of any artists and/or labels that haven't had any sort of CD compilation release yet?

Chuck Bernard (covering all his Zodiac releases onwards)

Lee Moses (His Dynamo & Musicor releases to start with)

Fantastic Four (Ric Tic to Motown period)

Ovide label (everything)

I admit though I haven't done any google leg work investigating any of these above.

Derek

The Musicor and just one of the two Dynamo releases are included on the expanded Time & Place CD

post-13147-0-54717200-1388226243_thumb.j

Social source share

Social source share

Don't think the Golden World, Ric Tic ones are remotely legit.

You are correct.  I wonder why Universal.Motown hasn't tried to make some money off that property?  Maybe Ace/Kent can make a limited collectors' issue (like their other Motown issues?

Social source share

Derek

Derek,  Numero (up there in Chicago) have been pulling together a Way Out project for about a year now. They have been using Lou Ragland as a consultant & (I believe) have gained access to a lot of old mastertapes of unissued tracks that have languished in a local recording studio for 40+ years.

Not sure if their project is near to fruition yet, will ask Lou if he knows.

The Saru label went through 2 phases of management / ownership. Lou R was involved with one of them, the O'Jays members with the other. Not sure if the O'Jays retained the rights to the stuff they worked on at the label.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Numero have been pulling together a Way Out project for about a year now. They have been using Lou Ragland as a consultant & (I believe) have gained access to a lot of old mastertapes of unissued tracks that have languished in a local recording studio for 40+ years.

Not sure if their project is near to fruition yet, will ask Lou if he knows.

I got in touch with Lou about the Way Out / Numero project & this was what he had to say ........... 

I have spoken to Jon Kirby and they are in the packaging stage at this time and getting all the necessary insert information together for the booklet.

So it seems that we can expect a comprehensive Way Out Records package in the very near future. Guess that will mean both vinyl (unissued & rare tracks on 45) & CD releases as part of the overall project.

A bit about Jon Kirby here ............ https://uncannedmusic.com/post/41655701396
Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Both of the Shiptown CD's above have been done very cheaply, the one Chalky has posted up is ok, but not comprehensive, they also contain tracks released on Gregory including the Dream Team, they may have been recorded at the studio behind the Shiptown record store, but I'm not certain that Noah's son has the legal rights to release these ???...keeping in mind he also had Shiptown 45's pressed up & sold as originals.

I would like to see a proper release by a proper re issue company, not someone who is just trying to make a fast buck....

Best Russ 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

What about Trade Martin, the man covered just about every base yet doesn't seem to get the praise he deserves in full even though he's well respected by the people on this forum et al. Checked Ace's sight and they've nothing. Well due a retrospective imo. He came to mind because I've just noticed he wrote 'take Me For a Little While'

I know....I should take more notice and have realised that already but you know what us bumbling amateurs are like. :yes:

Slinging it in this years Jukebox anyway.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!