Can You Believe Someone Bootlegged This?

Pete S

I don't remember this coming out but maybe Dave Evison played it once as a revive and someone decided it needed booting - just two years after it sold a good 20,000 copies on UK Capitol.  This is one of the most bizarre ones I've ever seen

Babe Ruth - Elusive

$_57.JPG

Social source share

Just looked on ebay and no UK capital copies for sale so checked discogs and 27 for sale starting at £1.60.

Given there are so many available for sale did it need booting or do people not know where to look?

No I'm not inferring it's a recent bootleg - it was done circa 1978 - I just wondered why.

Social source share

No I'm not inferring it's a recent bootleg - it was done circa 1978 - I just wondered why.

It's a strange one Pete, as the Capitol was ten a penny back then.

Always like the record, always stuck in my head, even if it is a Prog Rock with guitar rifs that Pink Floyd would have been proud of.

Edited by MrsWoodsrules
Social source share

I'm guessing that a lot of people liked the idea of an American import rather than a British record. Maybe the Booter (or is that Bootee?), twigged the same?

Just a theory :)

Social source share

I'm guessing that a lot of people liked the idea of an American import rather than a British record. Maybe the Booter (or is that Bootee?), twigged the same?

Just a theory :)

There was a Capitol import though, came out after the UK one and used the same backing track with a different vocalist.  Not a lot of people know that  :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's got a completely different vocalist on it guys, I said so above, if you check the two versions you'll see

Is it definitely a different vocalist, or just a different take Pete?

I've only ever heard the one version, that being the one on the British Capital issue (re-issue?)

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

just a thought but whats on the other side ? could this be a b side of a better number although I must say can't remember seeing this boot , ironicly could be rarer than the original !!!!!!! regards .S.

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

It was recorded in England. They were an english group.

Really I didn't realise that , haven't really taken much notice of this record over the years as it's not really my thing so didn't look into them , where were they from ? regards S.

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

They were an english group.

Chipping Onger or Hatfield.

I feel sure I might have seen them live in the early 70s - some festival or college gig or somesuch.

Was Jenny Haan herself American though?

Social source share

I don't remember this coming out but maybe Dave Evison played it once as a revive and someone decided it needed booting - just two years after it sold a good 20,000 copies on UK Capitol.  This is one of the most bizarre ones I've ever seen

Babe Ruth - Elusive

$_57.JPG

CRAP bootleg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Edited by Kev John
Social source share

To my shame I had that exact record when I was a lad - about 79' - 80 or thereabouts - I didn't know any better in them days, didn't know what a boot was! Can't remember where I got it from - probably Vallances in Mansfield for £1.35 - bought it blind. I hated the bloody thing and gave it away to a pal o mine a bit later. What a waste of the world's scarce resources!!

Babe Ruth were on a BBC 4 compilation of Whistle test stuff a bit back - just a poor rock band. Funnily enough Stone The Crows were on the same programme as well, featuring Maggie Bell ('Frankie' of Frankie and Johnny).

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!