Pete S

• Replies 29
  • Views 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

legit...but not a soul-only label. Used to be more a general "Golden Hits" re-release kinda label. It stopped operatinga while ago if I remember correct.

Marc

Certainly not legitimate in my opinion, although I suppose there are "degrees of legitimacy". Some issues could well be legal to a degree but others certainly aren't

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Is this the same Canadian label run by Continental Records Company? The label looks different than the brown one we're all familiar with, but they are also based in Ontario, Canada. If it's the same label someone could always contact them and find out if they have a licence for all their releases. Easier than guessing on here?

https://www.gocontinental.com/index.html

Social source share

Is this the same Canadian label run by Continental Records Company? The label looks different than the brown one we're all familiar with, but they are also based in Ontario, Canada. If it's the same label someone could always contact them and find out if they have a licence for all their releases. Easier than guessing on here?

https://www.gocontine....com/index.html

Hello Matt,

Different company, I think, and they're hardly likely to discuss licensing with strangers.

And my comments weren't based on any guesswork, by the way.

Best regards,

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Hello Matt,

Different company, I think, and they're hardly likely to discuss licensing with strangers.

And my comments weren't based on any guesswork, by the way.

Best regards,

Fair enough. I was just asking because Marc said it's legit, Benji said he's 'pretty sure' and you said 'in my opinion'. It sounded like there seemed to be some doubt.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

I think it ostensibly licenses the records in Canada, i would be amazed if it had licenses for the very many and varied sources releases.

Thats the along Paul´s posting one of the better thought about answers... as the question was "Is Stardust a legit label" and not "are all Stardust records boolegs or not".

The label is/was a legit and official label operating from/via Canada for obvious reasons. So the answer is yes, a legit label.

Its been run by an old and if I remember correctly blind man.

They started out releasing classic hit records just like the Troggs and what you have and added Soul releases later on. Wethere these were all legit I can not tell.

Marc

Social source share

I suppose it depends on how cynical you are.... I mean look at the range of labels, artists, it's HUGE, and a LOT of work for somebody to do legally. There again, If I was running this label, and couldn't give a sh*t about things like "licensing" I think I could come up with a much easier way of putting out a huge & varied catalogue of sounds out, that doesn't incur too many costsg.gif

Des

Social source share

Stardust released Kenny Carter's previously unreleased 'What's That On Your Finger'. I bought one as it's the only way to get it on vinyl and was told they are legit???? I'm really surprised Kent didn't release it on a 45 as they have the rights to the RCA stuff anyway???

For some reason, the Stardust release had the superb intro chopped out, don't know why as the source (CD) was 100% complete.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

yeah, my girlfriend has the Frank Wilson on Stardust.

Doesn't it have Chris Clark on flip?

I seriously doubt that Stardust has and had the rights to all the tracks they brought out. Most of the early releases had a rather common pop hit on the a side and a rather obscure northern in demander on the flipside. Rather shady in my opinion...

Social source share

I have several original releases on Stardust, a lot of them had coloured & marbled effect vinyl mainly gold !! some of them are Jimmy Radcliffe i,m sure, wish i could find them to scan it in !!!

I bought them in a job lot from Canada about 8 to 10 years ago and the seller said he worked for the label years ago, think it,s folded now so the more recent ones could well be not so original whistling

Ian.

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Don't think this info is on the thread - Interesting comment re the identity of the singer posted on youtube vid of 'Kenny Carter'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bK_2GYHzdEhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bK_2GYHzdE

If the link doesn't work go to youtube and search Kenny Carter What's That and read the interesting comment from someone who reckoned there was another take in 1967 whilst the original was cut in 1966.

Could be fiction but who knows?

Social source share

Just found this lurking in our Lasses Northern collection.

Kinda backs up the argument for Stardust being a legitimate label as don't think anyone would bring out a demo of a bootleg (would they?).

Hope it is legit as seen loads of Liberty Timi Yuro's go for up to a grand but never seen one of these before biggrin.gif

post-3218-0-00076900-1301075587_thumb.jp

post-3218-0-33182300-1301075649_thumb.jp

Social source share

Just found this lurking in our Lasses Northern collection.

Kinda backs up the argument for Stardust being a legitimate label as don't think anyone would bring out a demo of a bootleg (would they?).

Hope it is legit as seen loads of Liberty Timi Yuro's go for up to a grand but never seen one of these before :hatsoff2:

They look like home-made test pressing labels.

Social source share

They look like home-made test pressing labels.

Not sure what they are Pete but they do look rather basic & the different handwriting on each side is strange too.

Not the sort of thing I buy & out of Shelleys Northern collection.

Just thought they would be of interest on this thread.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert