Salsoul The Ultimate Disco Label?

Popped into town at dinnertime and instead of thumbing through 'Record Collector' like we tight northerners do I actually bought this months edition. (£3.50p gasp I can buy 3 pints and a bag of crisps in our local for that...)

There's a great article called 'Salsoul the ultimate disco label' which I flicked through, I can't comment on that claim as I don't know enough about the subject. Critics might claim thats never stopped me gobbing off about a wide range of subjects before hehehe.

But what did get me thinking was for such a revered seventies label like this how come so little of its releases got air play on either the northern or modern scenes of the day? Was its sound just too clubby or disco for the grim north?

Once again I've let my mouth shoot off, bear in my mind my knowledge of the label is very minimal and I wasnt attending venues in the mid seventies. Did its output appeal more to the jazz funk clubs or was it strictly disco? Was it a London ting?

I stand ready to be educated by those that know more than me....

derek

Off the top of my head the only 2 Salsoul cuts I could think of which got major play on the northern scene were Eddie Holman's "This could be a night to remember" and Sylvetti's "Spring rain". Both were massive at Wigan and immediately make me think of fluffy white towelling socks, polyveldts, baggy trousers and immortal smell of brute (don't tell anyone but I was in Superdrug yesterday and smelt or is it smelled a bottle of Brut. It doesnt smell that bad actually but whether I'd wear it is a different matter...)

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Popped into town at dinnertime and instead of thumbing through 'Record Collector' like we tight northerners do I actually bought this months edition. (£3.50p gasp I can buy 3 pints and a bag of crisps in our local for that...)

There's a great article called 'Salsoul the ultimate disco label' which I flicked through, I can't comment on that claim as I don't know enough about the subject. Critics might claim thats never stopped me gobbing off about a wide range of subjects before hehehe.

But what did get me thinking was for such a revered seventies label like this how come so little of its releases got air play on either the northern or modern scenes of the day? Was its sound just too clubby or disco for the grim north?

Once again I've let my mouth shoot off, bear in my mind my knowledge of the label is very minimal and I wasnt attending venues in the mid seventies. Did its output appeal more to the jazz funk clubs or was it strictly disco? Was it a London ting?

derek

Off the top of my head the only 2 Salsoul cuts I could think of which got major play on the northern scene were Eddie Holman's "This could be a night to remember" and Sylvetti's "Spring rain". Both were massive at Wigan and immediately make me think of fluffy white towelling socks, polyveldts, baggy trousers and immortal smell of brute (don't tell anyone but I was in Superdrug yesterday and smelt or is it smelled a bottle of Brut. It doesnt smell that bad actually but whether I'd wear it is a different matter...)

Social source share

derek

link

Derek

Take it back and swap for the beer and crisps!

https://www.disco-disco.com/labels/salsoul.html

Social source share

ooh think you're forgetting skip mahoney's janice derek

i agree, great label if you're in the mood for a bit of feel good party bollocks

doesn't generally reward too close or too regular a listen though, i feel

Social source share

derek

link

I read the article and they did'nt even mention one of the biggest dancefloor packers of all time, Janice by Skip Mahoaney, are any of these people at that magazine clued up? :angry:

Social source share

link

Is your local called the 1970s?

Col.

Social source share

just merged both threads into the one

worth a mention ?

double exposure - ten per cent -

eddie holman - time will tell

instant funk - crying

not really worth a mention but sure also got plays at wigan

salsoul orchs 3001

link

I can remember a fair bit of Salsoul getting spun at the Ritz Alldayers in the late 70s.

As well as the above I'm sure most of these were played:

Loleatta Holloway - "Hit and Run" and "Runaway"

Claudja Barry - "Sweet Dynamite"

Moment Of Truth - "Helplessly"

Double Exposure - "My Love Is Free"

Another old fave of mine was the Salsoul Orchestra's "Magic Bird of Fire" - Not really soul but a fantastic disco arrangement of Stavinsky's "Firebird"

Great stuff whistling.gif

Godz

Social source share

I've always felt that Salsoul is unfairly derided by the soul fraternity, as though its association with the term 'disco' is enough to deserve contempt.

Look a bit closer though - there's loads of well-produced, well-sung material on the label. Try this lot -

Love Committe

Loleatta Holloway

Moment of Truth

True Example

First Choice

Skip Mahoney (both sides, not just Janice)

Double Exposure

Eddie Holman

So there you go - open your ears and forget your prejudices!

Cheers

Steve.

Social source share

Guest Awake 502

Moment of truth "Loving you is killing me"

Leroy Burgess "Heartbreaker"

Skyy "Show me the way"

Logg "I know you will"

Eddie Holman "All my life"

Come on Derek, didn't you ever venture downstairs at Queens Hall in Bradford :ohmy:

Edited by Awake 502
Social source share

Guest musicden786

Moment of truth "Loving you is killing me"

Leroy Burgess  "Heartbreaker"

Skyy "Show me the way"

Logg "I know you will"

Eddie Holman "All my life"

Come on Derek, didn't you ever venture downstairs at Queens Hall in Bradford  :ohmy:

link

Great Label Salsoul.

Suprised nobody mentioned Carol Williams-Love Is You.

Been played here and there on the Northern Scene for over 25 years. Classy recording.

Social source share

For me the holy trinity of disco is:

PRELUDE

WEST END

SALSOUL

I've got about 90 12" singles on Salsoul and I admit some are label fillers. But my favs are:

LOGG-YOU'VE GOT THAT SOMETHING

FIRST CHOICE-LET NO MAN PUT US UNDER

AURRA-CHECKING YOU OUT

CLAUDIO SIMONETTI-I LOVE THE PIANO

INSTANT FUNK-CRYING

LOVE COMMITTEE-JUST AS LONG AS I'VE GOT YOU-GOLD MIND (sub. of Salsoul)

But overall, I think that the West End and Prelude catalogs have some better material. All those labels have their fair share of junk though.

KTF

Jas

Social source share

Popped into town at dinnertime and instead of thumbing through 'Record Collector' like we tight northerners do I actually bought this months

i went to town to buy that looked at the cover the index flicked through most pages buggered if i could see it are you sure you mean the july issue? what page is it on? hey i aint buyin till im sure :D

Social source share

Guest nubes

A monster!  especially when the 12 inch remix surfaced

link

Absolute stormer of a record,warrents playing very loud particularly when the horn section kicks in, luv it ,Del x

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

PRELUDE

WEST END

SALSOUL

I've got about 90 12" singles on Salsoul and I admit some are label fillers. But my favs are:

AURRA-CHECKING YOU OUT

INSTANT FUNK-CRYING

But overall, I think that the West End and Prelude catalogs have some better material. All those labels have their fair share of junk though.

KTF

I have lots of Salsoul too. Logg- fantastic and the album also has loads of great tracks.

Jas

link

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

link

OOH, I don't know what I did there-I made it look like you sais it Jas, sorry!

Meant to say Logg-fantastic. Not just 12" but brill album.

Edited by Karen Heath
Social source share

Guest Jamie

PRELUDE

WEST END

SALSOUL

AURRA-CHECKING YOU OUT

INSTANT FUNK-CRYING

KTF

Jas

link

Some decent tuneroonies there Jas,

I ain't got a great deal on any of the labels, but from memory I've got:

D Train - Keep On and Kumano - I'll Cry For You on Prelude.

Billy Nichols - Diamond Ring on West End

and the usual standards on Salsoul. You did finish off with Love Committee on Gold Mind - I've got to disagree with you there - Cheaters Never Win has got to be their best outing - Sounds really 'Soulful' and very 70's Northern.

Infact, I may just dig it out and pop it on my playlist for next month :thumbsup:

Jamie whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest funky4u

Horses for courses - but I love - luv salsoul meself.

First Choice "Let No Man Put Asunder" - wkd.

"Moments Of My Life" - feat jocelyn Brown - great!!

Also with Joe Bataan in the management -good mix of Latin & Jazz caried over - where latin soul in the 60's left off.

What ever it is it has Soul.

whistling.gif

Social source share

Great track ! The album was one of my best 20p purchases from Record and Tape Exchange in the late 70's as a new album. I like 'Who Am I?" from the album too

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert