Benny Curtis - Dirty Hearts - Resist

Reg Scott

Benny Curtis - Is My Label Sax'd?  

1. 1. If you own Benny Curtis - Dirty Hearts on Resist...

• Is your label clean of the Sax scribble?
    • Is your label infected by the Sax scribble?

It's only taken me forever to ask anybody about this but...

Can anybody fill me in on the background behind the autograph 'Come To Sax's on lots of copies of Benny Curtis (including mine)?

I've also posted a poll (I thinks that's what I've done) so as I can 'finally' see how many of this record were "got at" back in the day!

If this has been done before please forgive me but right now I just need to know :thumbup:

Thanks in advance for any info and participation...

Regards.

Social source share

• Replies 15
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Matt Male

Can anybody fill me in on the background behind the autograph 'Come To Sax's on lots of copies of Benny Curtis (including mine)?

I've also posted a poll (I thinks that's what I've done) so as I can 'finally' see how many of this record were "got at" back in the day!

If this has been done before please forgive me but right now I just need to know yes.gif

Regards.

I wish i owned a Benny Curtis, but i don't, but what was Sax's? Was it a club, or a record shop, or what...?

Social source share

If this has been done before please forgive me but right now I just need to know yes.gif

Regards.

I can't remember if the one I had was clean or not, sold it in 1980.

It was not one of my fav's back than, but someone played it at the Burnley All- Nighter the other week and it sounded great.thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I can't remember if the one I had was clean or not, sold it in 1980.

It was not one of my fav's back than, but someone played it at the Burnley All- Nighter the other week and it sounded great.thumbsup.gif

bin -playing at burnley for yonks on and off.............the home of great underplated stuff...........they play it here then 2 years later they play it all overwicked.gifbiggrin.gif

Social source share

bin -playing at burnley for yonks on and off.............the home of great underplated stuff...........they play it here then 2 years later they play it all overwicked.gifbiggrin.gif

Really pleased to hear your giving this some plays up at Burnley. Great records never date they just get better!!

Regards...

Social source share

My take on this is Sax's was a record store and perhaps copies of Benny Curtis were used to promote the store in house as it were, maybe copies were used in the shop stock at random points within the racks or shelves, or maybe Sax's stocked the record and it may have been given away by the artist at gigs to again promote the record and the store? On my copy it say's 'Come To Sax's' on the top side and has the store address on the flip.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

post-1475-12527397910777_thumb.jpg

post-1475-12527398742874_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mark Bicknell
Social source share

My take on this is Sax's was a record store and perhaps copies of Benny Curtis were used to promote the store in house as it were, maybe copies were used in the shop stock at random points within the racks or shelves, or maybe Sax's stocked the record and it may have been given away by the artist at gigs to again promote the record and the store? On my copy it say's 'Come To Sax's' on the top side and has the store address on the flip.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark

That was always my thoughts on it i.e it was a record store promo maybe given out at gigs etc. Interestingly, my copy doesn't have anything written on the flip just the "Come To Sax's" on the 'Dirty Hearts' side. Your copy seems to confirm that Sax's was indeed a record store. Also interesting, is the handwriting on your copy is exactly the same as on mine suggesting the same hand signed many of the copies.

Many thanks for the info...

Regards.

Social source share

Hi Mark

That was always my thoughts on it i.e it was a record store promo maybe given out at gigs etc. Interestingly, my copy doesn't have anything written on the flip just the "Come To Sax's" on the 'Dirty Hearts' side. Your copy seems to confirm that Sax's was indeed a record store. Also interesting, is the handwriting on your copy is exactly the same as on mine suggesting the same hand signed many of the copies.

Many thanks for the info...

Regards.

Juat checked mine and it's as clean as a whistle. Whats a minter worth nowaday's ?? Just might sell mine as i've only ever played it once and that was in the freestyle room at Rugby in April. atb Tony. oz. K.T.F.

Social source share

's funny that.......I thought it was a Wigan oldie laugh.gif ...........it's great how top records catch on so fast.....wicked.gif

Edited by Wrongcrowd
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert