Devotions On Tri-Sound

Hi everyone

I have read in a number of places that The Devotions - Same Old Sweet Lovin' on Tri-Sound came out with two different song titles printed on the label.

Apparently, the first release was called Same Old Sweet Lovin'. However, the later release(s) were Same Old Sweet Feelin'.

These two different song titles are also listed in Manship's Price Guide.

I have three different versions of this 45 - the original gold issue, the yellow issue with bars across the label, and another yellow issue (like the Ed Crook 'Detroit Address' version).

I am posting up scans I have found on the internet of the three versions I have in my own collection. All three have the title as Same Old Sweet Lovin'.

Can anyone scan a copy with the title Same Old Sweet Feelin' please, or let me have any more information on that variant if it exists?

Cheers

Richard

post-12286-1272202905279_thumb.jpg

post-12286-12722029501051_thumb.jpg

post-12286-12722029691076_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone confirm the Same Old Sweet Feelin' title please?

One of the best cheap Detroit 45s you can buy by the way.

Cheers

Richard

DEVOTIONS - SAME OLD SWEET LOVIN' -

Yes sounds like it should be hundreds, great soundthumbsup.gif

Social source share

• 6 months later...

Hi Dave

I suspect the release order might be as shown in the scan above on my original post.

The first two releases with the bars on the label have Pend in a little (looks hand-drawn) box suggesting they were not quite there with all the legal/copyright/publishing registrations when it went out.

If that is true, then my guess would be that gold was first of the two Pend releases - simply because it would have been more expensive to do gold paper, so the re-release would have been done on cheaper yellow ???

The later yellow release (third one shown above) is the same design as what I think most people believe to be the second label design of Ed Crook (the first being the stars design), again suggesting a second press.

That's my guess anyway - happy to be 'shot down in flames' now though :D

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Hi Dave

I suspect the release order might be as shown in the scan above on my original post.

The first two releases with the bars on the label have Pend in a little (looks hand-drawn) box suggesting they were not quite there with all the legal/copywrite/publishing registrations when it went out.

If that is true, then my guess would be that gold was first of the two Pend releases - simply because it would have been more expensive to do gold paper, so the re-release would have been done on cheaper yellow ???

The later yellow release (third one shown above) is the same design as what I think most people believe to be the second label design of Ed Crook (the first being the stars design), again suggesting a second press.

That's my guess anyway - happy to be 'shot down in flames' now though :D

Cheers

Richard

the ed crook on that label design is the nashville matrix stamped disc - isnt it supposed to be rarer than the stars label.

I have never heard of that being described a second issue - the press without "dimensional sound" i thought it was the

most desirable format .

It says "pend" on all 3 of the devotions 45s ?

I reckon they were all pressed in 1966 around the same time.

different runs - different label variations yes - but not second issues - re releses whatever.

tri sound must have changed the label designs mid run - thats all. IMO

Edited by mossy
Social source share

the ed crook on that label design is the nashville matrix stamped disc - its a lot rarer than the stars label.

I have never heard of that being described a second issue - its the most desirable format .

It says "pend" on all 3 of the devotions 45s

different runs - different label variations yes - but not second issues - re releses whatever.

tri sound must have changed the label design mid run - thats all.

Well my copy of Devotions is on the gold label..making it by far the rarest, most desireable and valuable of the three! :D

Social source share

the ed crook on that label design is the nashville matrix stamped disc - isnt it supposed to be rarer than the stars label.

I have never heard of that being described a second issue - the press without "dimensional sound" i thought it was the

most desirable format .

It says "pend" on all 3 of the devotions 45s ?

tri sound must have changed the label designs mid run - thats all. IMO

Only the first two Devotions' (see scans at top of post) releases with the bars on the label have the Pend mark on - and then only on the side shown.

Both copies of the Ed Crook have Dimensional Sound on them - both the one with stars and the one without.

Yes, there are two schools of thought on the two Ed Crook designs re which came first. Have to say I think the stars design is quite a bit rarer.

Both Ed Crook copies are Nashville stamped and I think have identical dead wax markings - I will check later if I get the chance.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Only the first two Devotions' (see scans at top of post) releases with the bars on the label have the Pend mark on - and then only on the side shown.

Both copies of the Ed Crook have Dimensional Sound on them - both the one with stars and the one without.

Yes, there are two schools of thought on the two Ed Crook designs re which came first. Have to say I think the stars design is quite a bit rarer.

Both Ed Crook copies are Nashville stamped and I think have identical dead wax markings - I will check later if I get the chance.

Cheers

Richard

all the devotions have pend on the label

the yellow one has it before the 1966 date

just different pressing runs done in different places with different labels in 1966

no re releases or second issues IMO

just two great cheap Detroit 45s with different labels

all are originals

none are rare !

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Richard

nope !

this stamped original nashville matrix copy does not have dimensional sound print !

Prophonics above has the same copy as me

original Detroit 45s

the stars label maybe a tad rarer,

but the devotions and ed crook look superb when they are together on the same identical tri sound label !

these are the great little 45s we should be shouting about these days

original vinyl sounds you might just hear out on a Saturday and own by the end of it !

without having to sell your mother at the end of the weekend !

perhaps we have forgotten about these little diamonds in our frenzy to own 1000 pound things ?

both are available and fantastic 60s 45s IMO

Edited by mossy
Social source share

Guest I KNOW NOTHING

6 items No Search Filter Set (Add Filter) Artist TitleCondition Format Price GBP

[Change]SellerLocationrt.gif Devotions Same Old Sweet Lovin

Tri Sound, 501M-7" £37.95 Times Square

4star.gifUSA visa_tiny.gifrt.gif Devotions Same Old Sweet Lovin - Devils Gotte

VG+/VG+7" £406.90 F-seventies

2.5star.gifFrance rt.gif Devotions Same Old Sweet Lovin / Devils Gotte

44360 rare, Hard To Get! Condition Sleeve/record: White Sleeve/m- Number On Label, With Band Pic...Special Order7" £84.30 CDExpress

3.5star.gifNetherl visa_tiny.gifdevotions%20-%20same%20old%20sweet%20lovin.JPG Devotions Same Old Sweet Lovin'

Us, Tri-sound 501Ex7" £28.75 VinylnetUK

4.5star.gifUK visa_tiny.gifrt.gif Devotions Same Old Sweet Lovin'

VG+/VG+7" £265.22 F-seventies

2.5star.gifFrance rt.gif Devotions Same Old Sweet Lovin' / Devil's Gotten Into My Baby

Xol, With Band Picture Insert Tri-sound, 501M-7" £36.37 Barry Wickha

5star.gifUSA visa_tiny.gif

Social source share

I am not sure but are they all Nashville stamped?

ed crook with dimensional sound on the label had no nashville stamp if i remember

i may be wrong - i sold it years ago

Edited by mossy
Social source share

all the devotions have pend on the label

the yellow one has it before the 1966 date

Mossy - yes you are spot on about the Pend on the Devotions :thumbsup:

nope !

this stamped original nashville matrix copy does not have dimensional sound print !

I have 4 Ed Crooks - a star design issue, a star design demo, and two of the 'normals'.

I have here in my hand an Ed Crook 'normal' with Dimensional Sound on the label plus a Nashville Stamp.

I can't find my other normal but will check it out when I find it.

Cheers

Richard

Edited by Premium Stuff
Social source share

Guest REVILOT

Extra bit of info.

One of my extra copies of the Devotions on the yellow label without the lines (like the normal Ed Crook) came with a fantastic little pocket-sized picture of the group.

Here it is.

Cheers

Richard

Neat pic, green eyed now....

It is a great record, brill kitchen sink backing and ace vocals.

Social source share

• 13 years later...

I'm now editing my interview with Major Reynolds, who founded Tri-Sound (as well as the Amazing and Major labels), and he said that the Devotions' 45 was pressed up in Detroit at a (then) new place on Davison, which must have been Archer. (He couldn't recall the name)

Does anyone have a copy of the 45 with Archer's name-numbers in the deadwax?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Great stuff!... many thanks, Yank

Major talked about Henry Hines - The Devotions going on tour didn't end well. 

I imagine Henry put out these press releases, as the company was never based in Greenville.

The bottom one will be included in the YouTube vid, which I hope to complete soon.

Social source share

19 hours ago, G F said:

I'm now editing my interview with Major Reynolds, who founded Tri-Sound (as well as the Amazing and Major labels), and he said that the Devotions' 45 was pressed up in Detroit at a (then) new place on Davison, which must have been Archer. (He couldn't recall the name)

Does anyone have a copy of the 45 with Archer's name-numbers in the deadwax?

My copy has 501-A and 501-B sides, both having also Nashville Matrix 95 etched into the dead wax.  It lists 11825 Hamilton in Highland Park, as the address. It's older than the Ed Crook record, as the copyright for B&B music was still pending non this one, earlier in 1966 than Crook's release.  No indication that it was pressed at Archer, and no Archer number code.

Social source share

Thanks, Robb.

Is yours the yellow label or the gold one?

Major said that Henry Himes had extra copies pressed down South - Henry hailed from down there and it sounds like he had a record store in somewhere like Memphis.

Social source share

35 minutes ago, G F said:

Thanks, Robb.

Is yours the yellow label or the gold one?

Major said that Henry Himes had extra copies pressed down South - Henry hailed from down there and it sounds like he had a record store in somewhere like Memphis.

Mine is the Gold one (which was released first).  I didn't see that one till some months later.  The yellow issue got to Chicago.  I don't remember seeing the gold one there.

Social source share

you may well have already figured this out...but Henry Hines had a few geograhic connections with Greenville.

(Henvick Lynn's) Lynn Productions. 

Tommy Bee's Tomahawk label branch address was also Greenville ( Henry was sales & marketing).

Social source share

9 hours ago, Robbk said:

My copy has 501-A and 501-B sides, both having also Nashville Matrix 95 etched into the dead wax... No indication that it was pressed at Archer, and no Archer number code.

'95' is Archer's client code at Nashville Matrix, who did the metalwork for the stampers. The record was pressed at Archer on East Davison. 

Social source share

55 minutes ago, Nick Soule said:

'95' is Archer's client code at Nashville Matrix, who did the metalwork for the stampers. The record was pressed at Archer on East Davison. 

That's great to know - many thanks. 

4 hours ago, Kenb said:

you may well have already figured this out...but Henry Hines had a few geograhic connections with Greenville.

(Henvick Lynn's) Lynn Productions. 

Tommy Bee's Tomahawk label branch address was also Greenville ( Henry was sales & marketing).

No, I didn't know that - thanks.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!