Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Guest miff

Who Was/is James Coit

Guest miff

Just listend to this for the first time in years, and was just wondering who he was, did he recored any thing else, are they any more releases on the Phoof lable

Figured out the lables from New York, but thats about all I can find out, I know it was booted, Original has a SonicSound matrix stamp, More intrested in anything else on the lable, or the man himself

Source: http://funky16corners.lunarpages.net/?p=432

Aside from the music, the first thing I noticed was that it appeared that the record (or at least the label, Phoof) was from Long Island, NY, affixed with the snappy slogan: "Featuring the Bayport Echo Sound of Long Island".

Both sides of the record are excellent in their own way. 'Black Power' opens with catchy, fast moving guitar riff, followed by some heavy drums and sharp horns. Mr Coit drops in with a rough and ready, Eddie Floyd-esque vocal. The lyrics are - if not exactly as militant as the title might suggest - certainly topical and powerful, and might be even more so if the composition thereof weren't credited to someone named 'Mike Szymanski'.

Kenny got a demo of this from the Plinston for a fiver. Gotta be a wise shopper these days! :yes:

Just listend to this for the first time in years, and was just wondering who he was, did he recored any thing else, are they any more releases on the Phoof lable

Figured out the lables from New York, but thats about all I can find out, I know it was booted, Original has a SonicSound matrix stamp, More intrested in anything else on the lable, or the man himself

I have an old issue of Record World from the mid 60's with a blurb about James Coit and a photo of him. As I recall, he was rather heavy-set.

I love the record but love the flip side more spun it out a bit late eighties thats the flip-someone post it up sure its in refo-soul-philandrine !!! im struggling with snow at the momment and need to fly!!

BAZ A

Always liked this record! Are the true originals rare? Mostly see the boot....

Mike Szymanski co- owned Phoof and Sandbag.

Both labels went bust with the rights reverting to licensors(ie Epitome of Sound) apart from their own masters, which we assume ended up in other hands or not as rhe case may be.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts