Which Tune Brings A Tear To Your Eye Everytime?

Guest ShaneH

• Replies 81
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Kitchengroove

Donny Hathaway-Someday we'll all be free. Took on more relevance after his death. I love it but find it difficult to listen to even when the song was covered for the Malcolm X film

Social source share

Guest mattmale

James Kirk - You better come home

Magnificent Seven - Never will i make my baby cry

Bobby Smith - Walk on into my heart

and almost anything slow by Maxine Brown but especially 'You're in love'.

Also a bit cheesy but for some reason Oh Linda - Leroy Taylor used to get me going... blush.gif

Matt

Edited by mattmale
Social source share

4 Tops - Ask The Lonely, has had me blubbing while djing.

Aretha Franklin - It Only Happens , blubbing in a joyous happy way, so not sure if that counts.

Linda Jones _ Dont Go (I cant Bear To Be Alone) - possibly one of the most heart ripping moments on record, although bizarrely used to play it to cheer me up when down which it did due its sheer soulfulness and her artistry.

Told you I was strange blush.gif:(

Cheers

Jock

PS Cant think of any faster ones yet but there are a number!

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Jack Montgomery - My Dearly Beloved

One of my best friend's favourite record. He was killed in a car accident and it was played at his funeral.

That was 18 years ago, and today hearing that record I can shut my eyes, and see his crooked smile. I have a couple of vivid memories where I can see Paul clear as day, and thanks to Simon T/Hippo I have the dvd of the Leicester anniversary, and get to see Paul dance and leave the club at the end.

Choked.

Social source share

Jack Montgomery - My Dearly Beloved

One of my best friend's favourite record. He was killed in a car accident and it was played at his funeral.

That was 18 years ago, and today hearing that record I can shut my eyes, and see his crooked smile. I have a couple of vivid memories where I can see Paul clear as day, and thanks to Simon T/Hippo I have the dvd of the Leicester anniversary, and get to see Paul dance and leave the club at the end.

Choked.

link

sad story mikey, but nice in a way.

pyramid does it for me.

or 'how come' by birdie green or 'this is the thanks i get' by barbara lynn or 'i was born to love you' by herbert hunter

Social source share

Have to be Ray Pollard The Drifter.... Timi Yuro It will never be over for me... and The Four tops Where did you go.... :( After you with the tissues....

Ray Pollard for the reason he wrote the song, cos he lost his true love, Timi Yuro for friends no longer here, and the four tops, well thats for me to know blush.gif

Social source share

Have to be Ray Pollard The Drifter

Ray Pollard for the reason he wrote the song, cos he lost his true love

i thought it was because he was a tramp?

btw has anyone else noticed you don't get tramps like you used to. where have they all gone?

Edited by Dan
Social source share

btw has anyone else noticed you don't get tramps like you used to. where have they all gone?

link

I think he wrote (or some one did) it cos his girlfriend died/ or got killed and then he took to the road, to escape the heartbreak and the loss... blush.gif "Out of my arms and left me to wander" Thats so sad

Social source share

I think he wrote (or some one did) it cos his girlfriend died/ or got killed and then he took to the road, to escape the heartbreak and the loss...  blush.gif   "Out of my arms and left me to wander" Thats so sad

link

i was only kidding dawn

it is a brilliantly blindingly good track that always reminds me of 4am at the 100 Club back in the mid-late 80s when it seemed to get a lot of plays

good choice!

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

I think he wrote (or some one did) it cos his girlfriend died/ or got killed and then he took to the road, to escape the heartbreak and the loss...  :(   "Out of my arms and left me to wander" Thats so sad

link

I think you are right there. I always understood the song to have that sentiment.

I was fortunate to meet Ray Pollard & his wife when he played at Prestatyn the other year. He was in main room at lunchtime prior to the evening show. He was very polite and even introduced me to his wife. I knew before I met him that he had a false arm (lost in the Korean war if i am right) and when I attempted to shake his hand I went for the wrong one blush.gif

The same day I was in the reception on my own and was watching Tony Middleton get quite irate with a payphone. After several attempts to call the US, I offered him my mobile. I watched the minutes go trying to convince myself that it was worth every penny in return for my enjoyment over the years with 'end of the earth' :(

Shane

Social source share

link

Now this is so true.

I remember when I was a young lad you'd see loads knocking about the town.

There was one who used wander around Hanley (Stoke) whistling all the time...you'd get on a bus and hear the whistling from the top deck, or walk into some shop/cafe and hear the same. blush.gif:(:(:(

I have to say he was an excellent whistler, and always in tune....

He still smelt of p*ss though :(:(

Social source share

I think you are right there. I always understood the song to have that sentiment.

I was fortunate to meet Ray Pollard & his wife when he played at Prestatyn the other year. He was in main room at lunchtime prior to the evening show. He was very polite and even introduced me to his wife. I knew before I met him that he had a false arm (lost in the Korean war if i am right) and when I attempted to shake his hand I went for the wrong one :(

The same day I was in the reception on my own and was watching Tony Middleton get quite irate with a payphone. After several attempts to call the US, I offered him my mobile. I watched the minutes go trying to convince myself that it was worth every penny in return for my enjoyment over the years with 'end of the earth'  :(

Shane

link

:( How cool is that? blush.gif nice one

Social source share

Stevie Wonder "I Hear a Symphony" is just sheer emotion. On Motown Sings Motown CD. This was played at our 25th wedding anniversary do, and will be played at my funeral. What a record!!

Ask the Lonely not far behind. Played this in the car the other day and the goosebumps on my arm nearly had my eye out.

Social source share

james lately - Love, friends and Money

Superb record and probably my favourite of them all.

Terry Scott - My Brother ... this has also brought me to tears, the vocal is astounding ! blush.gif:(

Hammy

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

james lately - Love, friends and Money

Superb record and probably my favourite of them all.

Terry Scott - My Brother ... this has also brought me to tears, the vocal is astounding !  :(   :(

Hammy

link

is it the same terry scott who did 'juuuuuuuuune'? blush.gif:(

Shane

Social source share

Full marks to Mr Bicknell for Jimmy Wallace's "I'll Be Back" blush.gif   In the same vein, I also love Chuck Jackson's version of "Any Day Now" (quick, fetch the hankies...)

Two from Aretha:-

I Can't Wait to See my Baby's Face

Cry Like a Baby

link

Thanks for that Richard........ Agree with Aretha's version of 'Baby's Face' but for me 'The Monticellos' takes some beating on Red Cap also do a blinding version on the Flip of 'Don't Hold Back' which also sits on the flip of Spyder Turner - 'I Can't Make It Anymore' MGM, slightly off the thread a little but that's the beauty of this site we can bring in related stuff..lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert