Timi Yuro Is This A Genuine Acetate ?

• Replies 42
  • Views 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Thought it looked dodgy to me - 10 " discs are still manufactured as you said Chalky - only if genuine expect the seller to come on here ranting and raving angry.gif

Might be wrong, might look different in me hands but looking at the scans it looks too new to me, no wear round the holes that you would expect from an acetate from the 60's, look at the centre hole. Label looks new as well and hardly a mark on the disc. The flip on this "acetate" isn't the flip on the 45, is it on the LP?

Would Liberty use New York Audiodisc, especially for a 45 UK release?

Social source share

Thought it looked dodgy to me - 10 " discs are still manufactured as you said Chalky - only if genuine expect the seller to come on here ranting and raving angry.gif

Only ever owned one, which I thought was genuine, the label was a goldie-brown colour not black.

It was a track by Lonna King, forgot the title or even where I got it from.

I do know that I sold it at Al-Brighton in the 90s.

Social source share

Liberty used their own acetates. Being a west coast company I can't see them ordering from New York.

There was what looked like a genuine U.S. Liberty acetate that sold on ebay some years ago, so if it was a right one perhaps they were thinking about giving it a U.S. release ?

Edited by pottsy
Social source share

Might be wrong, might look different in me hands but looking at the scans it looks too new to me, no wear round the holes that you would expect from an acetate from the 60's, look at the centre hole. Label looks new as well and hardly a mark on the disc. The flip on this "acetate" isn't the flip on the 45, is it on the LP?

Would Liberty use New York Audiodisc, especially for a 45 UK release?

Someone else had an 'authentic' acetate of this a couple of years ago, think his name was Mike, it was on a Liberty custom studio acetate though, he was certainly sold it as genuine but I was never 100% convinced.

Social source share

Guest smudgesmith

I believe its Mike Balderson that owns the pucker acetate,it was his avatar at one time

10 inch acetates are still readily available,like Chalky says.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest sharmo 1

Hi there I thought that the audio disc was the name of the manufaturers that made the disc was it a studio then ? the reason I thought this is that i got a few Frankford / wayne job's in Belgium in the 80's and in the sleeves were blank untitled/ unused audiodisc lables on the discs were both frankford/wayne design lables .When I asked Andrea why this was He said that when studios bought the blanks they had the audiodisc lables to use but most studios used there own .Anyone shed any light on this all the best Sy.

Social source share

audiodisc, were the manufactures of the blank discs, i think the "audiodisc" trade mark was leased out to various disc manufacturers as i have got one that lists capitol magnetics, winchester, va. as the address on the label, and a couple that list audio devices, 444 madison avenue, new york, as the address, later on they were bought out by transco, who were bought out by apollo masters, who are the currant owners

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hi again I looked through my acetate's this morning and some of the audio discs are still in thier original manufacturers sleeves they have " The thread cut from all profesional blanks is flamable " obviously a warning to the engineer on the acetate lathe therfor Liberty could have used audio discs as they do seem good quality discs , and just used the free audio disc lable.I've got Dickie wonder on an A 1 studio lable but in a audio disc sleeve and an alternative cut to J Watson's Big bad wolf on a blank lable with a audio disc sleeve and thing's like T Lindsey's Gotta find a way (3rd cut) on an RCA lable 10 inch acetate again in a audio disc sleeve so I don't think that being on an audio disc lable is too much to worry about .A few years ago I got a pile of the Jimmy Conwell acetates all of them were on Audio discs including thing's like Let it all out and loads of B sides they were all hand written i don't see any reason for any one to recut thing's like that to make them look authentic the only oddity was the exits got to have money which was on a H & L studio lable and this turned out to be Jimmy Conwells version off the album all the best Sy.

Social source share

audiodisc, were the manufactures of the blank discs, i think the "audiodisc" trade mark was leased out to various disc manufacturers as i have got one that lists capitol magnetics, winchester, va. as the address on the label, and a couple that list audio devices, 444 madison avenue, new york, as the address, later on they were bought out by transco, who were bought out by apollo masters, who are the currant owners

:ohmy: . This was my understanding too.

Russ

Social source share

Yes but liberty as shown in other topic use their own acetates they wouldn't send a track to New York. Look at the other evidence. All points to a fake.

Yes but how many other 'Liberty' acetates have we ever seen? I'd have thought they were more likely to use acetates of the studio where they were recording. I think the Timi Yuro is a fake, but there's no reason why it couldn't feasibly be on an audiodisc blank as they were the most popular blank discs for cutting demos

Social source share

I can't see anything here that points to this being a fake - although nothing that confirms it is an original either.

Acetates could well be cut at any time in the recording place - the studio where it was recorded for instance, and in that case a to hand blank from a manufacturer would be used. Audiodisc acetates would have been used all over the country.

Liberty's own labels would probably have been used at the mastering stage.

The 'remix' mentioned above will have been to donate the mix used by the mastering engineer when cutting the master.

Does anyone know where Yuro recorded this.

Social source share

I can't see anything here that points to this being a fake - although nothing that confirms it is an original either.

Acetates could well be cut at any time in the recording place - the studio where it was recorded for instance, and in that case a to hand blank from a manufacturer would be used. Audiodisc acetates would have been used all over the country.

The 'remix' mentioned above will have been to donate the mix used by the mastering engineer when cutting the master.

In the UK I think

Social source share

Yes but liberty as shown in other topic use their own acetates they wouldn't send a track to New York. Look at the other evidence. All points to a fake.

the new york address on the label is the address of the blank disc manufacturer, liberty didnt manufacture blank discs, they bought them from companys like audiodisc, audiodisc were a blank disc and tape manufacturer, not a recording or mastering studio,

Social source share

acetates that turn up with labels on, be it bell sound, virtue, audiodisc, were used for reference purposes, if a acetate was intended for manufacturing a record it wouldnt have a label on, as it has to be coated with silver, also, acetates used for the manufacture of a record are only cut on one side, any acetate used for the mastering of a record gets virtually destroyed during the manufacturing process.

Edited by soulman1964
Social source share

Well that would make an Audiodisc acetate less likely to be genuine.

Be honest, was it ever likely to be genuine? The first time I saw the listing on ebay it looked like a fake, it shouted out boot!! The more looked into and the more it was discussed it looked even more like a fake. the label, the fact that neither was released as a 45 Stateside, one in the UK and the other French/Italian. they were from different sessions, so why would they be on a studio acetate in the states?

Social source share

the new york address on the label is the address of the blank disc manufacturer, liberty didnt manufacture blank discs, they bought them from companys like audiodisc, audiodisc were a blank disc and tape manufacturer, not a recording or mastering studio,

I know full well what who Audiodisc are. Liberty may have bought blanks from other companies but the Liberty ones I've seen have been their won label as in the other topic.

Are you saying it's real Trev?

Social source share

Did,nt Mr King knock out Acetates back in the 90,s on the same acetate labels :ohmy:

he sure did ian, a very nice looking set of virtue discs...larry clinton, eddie holman - where im not wanted / hurt , irma and the larks - you need love, all snapped up for 500 quid each by steve chadwick, now that guy did have more money than sense, problem was, it wasnt his money

Social source share

I know full well what who Audiodisc are. Liberty may have bought blanks from other companies but the Liberty ones I've seen have been their won label as in the other topic.

Are you saying it's real Trev?

i personally think its a real timi yuro one sided acetate, that someone has taken the liberty (excuse the pun) of cutting "it'll never be over" on to the blank side, the fact that its different handwriting on each side sets alarm bells ringing

Social source share

...the fact that its different handwriting on each side sets alarm bells ringing...

The difference comes from the fact that one side is done in pen and the other in pencil. In the same hand pen and pencil will produce slightly different results even on the same paper. But, look closely and you'll see they are indeed the same. They certainly look the same to me.

Edited by rigilbert
Social source share

The difference comes from the fact that one side is done in pen and the other in pencil. In the same hand pen and pencil will produce slightly different results even on the same paper. But, look closely and you'll see they are indeed the same. They certainly look the same to me.

the y's on yuro look totally different to me, that aside the fact that one side is in pen and the other in pencil suggests to me that they were not cut at the same time

Social source share

Guest sportique

the y's on yuro look totally different to me, that aside the fact that one side is in pen and the other in pencil suggests to me that they were not cut at the same time

well I have this acetate in front of me, and as far as I can see they are both in the same handwriting (there is a mark which is not pen on the Y which makes is look a bit different) but IMHO there are too many similarities between the two sides for them to be different people

Social source share

By way of additional confirmation, here's an overlay of the writing on both sides! The word 'Timi' is obviously from the same hand, and the 'r' in Yuro is very unique and easily identified as being the same in both.

By the looks of things the ink side was written using a fountain pen and the other with a blunt pencil. All this confirms to me is that the writer changed writing tool! yes.gif

post-9478-0-96746300-1300975462_thumb.jp

Edited by rigilbert
Social source share

Capitol bought audiodisc/audio devices in 1972. You can read the story here https://www.apollomasters.com/story.html

Social source share

Would they have released a US acetate of this looking to release this in the USA and in the thirty years of collecting it has never turned up....and in 2011 we get an acetate that hasn't even turned up in Rosetta Stones husbands shed.....laugh!I nearly forked out 500 quid

Social source share

• 6 months later...

Read this topic eight months after it started typical huh! I did own the liberty acetate but sold it quite some time ago - it was found amongst a whole pile of liberty acetates in the USA - One sided and a slightly longer take than the UK 45 release. No doubt in my mind and other long standing collectors and sellers as to its authenticity - why it was in the states when it was only released on british as a 45 who knows - but genuine it was.... !!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert