Is The 'Upfront' Soul Scene Disappearing Up It'S Own A*se?

Len

If you think the northern upfront scene is having it bad, you should see the state of the 70s and crossover scene.

Similar thing going on there really Steve. Too much bitching, backbiting and snidy comments make it not so much fun to be around these days. I love the music but can't stand the parochialism which is one of the reasons I've always liked ducking in and out of several different scenes.........

Ian D :D

Social source share

Actually Ian it's identical to the issues the northern scenes have, except I don't see so much 'backbiting' as you call it (it sounds unpleasant!!). The only difference is there was never really such a Niter scene as there has been with northern. But most people just want to hear the same old boring stuff, a "crossover / 70s Top 500" if you will. The people wanting to hear something new are in a minority there too. Too many weekenders, second string DJs playing last hour anthems from 2 p.m. onwards everyday. Soul music used to be about hearing something new and exciting, now I fear too many just get blotto as soon as they arrive and spend the weekend singing (badly) to Flowers, Beloyd, and Channel 3. Whilst there are pockets left, much of what was the 70s / xover scene has most definately becoming "Ordinary Joe".

Maybe a topic for a different thread though.....

Edited by Steve G
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

dont get me wrong , and this is surely not a go at anyone participating in this or similar threads...but sometimes (and right now is such a "sometimes" moment) I wonder what all this negativity is all about. Just imagine a young one, new soulie reading all these threads and getting his first impressions of the important aspect of nightlife scenery of Rare or Northern Soul from threads like this...he sure wouldnt fancy going anymore would he ?

Think we should all start to look at it a bit more positive again and not try to get all too academic about it...dont know abou you lot but I have jolly good time each time I go out. Long may it continue.

Social source share

I used to attend the Mecca regularly in the 70's .The Northern Soul scene is now reminiscent of the Motown scene in the 70’s which I strayed from to attend the then upfront northern soul scene ie Blackpool Mecca, Wigan etc. At the Motown events we heard the same tunes night after night until it got very boring. The Northern Scene was like a breath of fresh air. Exciting new sounds on each visit.

My point is that in those days the main focus apart from a social gathering was to hear new tunes. Today my hunger to hear new quality soul sounds from Gospel to Modern is still the same as it was all those years ago and i trawl the net to find new stuff which i can buy and listen too.!

These days because of personal reasons i cant get out as much so have to choose carefully where i go. But in the last year or so i have enjoyed venues such as Thorne, Lowton and Silks.

Andy L :)

Social source share

dont get me wrong , and this is surely not a go at anyone participating in this or similar threads...but sometimes (and right now is such a "sometimes" moment) I wonder what all this negativity is all about. Just imagine a young one, new soulie reading all these threads and getting his first impressions of the important aspect of nightlife scenery of Rare or Northern Soul from threads like this...he sure wouldnt fancy going anymore would he ?

Think we should all start to look at it a bit more positive again and not try to get all too academic about it...dont know abou you lot but I have jolly good time each time I go out. Long may it continue.

i agree mark...ive often said its strange how a scene that is so positive and friendly when you're out can be so negative and unfriendly when on line.....

dean

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hi Marc,

Yes that is a good point, lots of comments on many threads do paint a dismal picture whereas in reality we all have a great time, I think some just want to keep it that way so inevitably focus on the negatives, as to discuss them may just sort them out (Or not!)

This thread is about why the difference in attendance, it's not Oldies is better than Upfront or anything like that. Fact is, the upfront scene is shrinking a bit and it's a shame. Maybe its because there are less 'Inbetweeny' soul nights where some of the new sounds are first heard which then filter through.

But yes, think positive, think positive! :yes:

All the best,

Len.

Social source share

Hi Marc,

Yes that is a good point, lots of comments on many threads do paint a dismal picture whereas in reality we all have a great time, I think some just want to keep it that way so inevitably focus on the negatives, as to discuss them may just sort them out (Or not!)

This thread is about why the difference in attendance, it's not Oldies is better than Upfront or anything like that. Fact is, the upfront scene is shrinking a bit and it's a shame. Maybe its because there are less 'Inbetweeny' soul nights where some of the new sounds are first heard which then filter through.

But yes, think positive, think positive! :yes:

All the best,

Len.

Do you mean places playing Some you know, Some you don't, Some forgotten Oldies Some Classics, on OVO ?????

Say, a bit like HEYWOOD, perhaps.

Tony

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

:D lol,

Yes mate, I think the thread's now run it's cause.

Time to stop analysing, best to get on and 'Do'!

Over 'n' Out,

Len.

You,d better be a good boy next saturday len........oh! and do try and keep up!! :wicked::D

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

Im confused too. Richard played other side at Wigan I'd guess from 77/78 on. Must admit don't recall him playing "Sweets" side but he may have done. As Wigan shut in '81 anything later is after him.

ROD

Hi,

Just to set the record straight. I bought Sandi Golden off Barrie Waddington (Brad may have been in cahoots with Barrie). I played it covered up in the 80s for 5-6 years and sold it to Rob in 90/91. I believe Rob subsequently sold the same copy to Richard Searling. I have never come across any reference to it having surfaced previous to the Barrie copy.

All best

Ion

Social source share

Hi Ion,

Until you posted I was pretty sure Richard had it and played it very infrequently in later stages of Wigan.

I guess I could have heard you play it but if it were covered up why is it on my wants list from early 80's? I've still got that here and Sandy is in the main body of the list but me and Dave have added an update which includes Chuck Cockerham amongst others which I didn't know until I found a copy in '89 and sold to Richard so update was done around that time. The main list [less additions] kinda cuts off after Dave and I stopped dj-ing so Limelights,Monique,Phonetics,Young Brothers are there which dates it to around '83. If you had it for 5-6 years and sold it in '90 it's a bit of a mystery why it's on the list.

I know Barrie and Brad. Did one of them tell me I wonder?

I've not heard Richard dj since he was on at Stafford apart from a few times at Parkers in late 80's and a new-fangled R&B night in the 90's.Parkers stopped around time you sold it Rob I think.

So Im still confused.

ROD

Social source share

Hi,

Just to set the record straight. I bought Sandi Golden off Barrie Waddington (Brad may have been in cahoots with Barrie). I played it covered up in the 80s for 5-6 years and sold it to Rob in 90/91. I believe Rob subsequently sold the same copy to Richard Searling. I have never come across any reference to it having surfaced previous to the Barrie copy.

All best

Ion

I have a cd copy of a tape you did in I think 1985 Ion with Sandy Golden on it.

I think you are right with the years Rob sold it to Richard. I can double check as the records were at Nick Stevenson's before they went and sure he said it was '91. Think there was 3 records in the deal in total.

Social source share

Hi Ion,

Until you posted I was pretty sure Richard had it and played it very infrequently in later stages of Wigan.

I guess I could have heard you play it but if it were covered up why is it on my wants list from early 80's? I've still got that here and Sandy is in the main body of the list but me and Dave have added an update which includes Chuck Cockerham amongst others which I didn't know until I found a copy in '89 and sold to Richard so update was done around that time. The main list [less additions] kinda cuts off after Dave and I stopped dj-ing so Limelights,Monique,Phonetics,Young Brothers are there which dates it to around '83. If you had it for 5-6 years and sold it in '90 it's a bit of a mystery why it's on the list.

I know Barrie and Brad. Did one of them tell me I wonder?

I've not heard Richard dj since he was on at Stafford apart from a few times at Parkers in late 80's and a new-fangled R&B night in the 90's.Parkers stopped around time you sold it Rob I think.

So Im still confused.

ROD

Hi Rod,

Good to hear from you.

You are probably right and may well have heard about it from Brad/Barrie prior to it being spun. I seem to recollect Barrie had owned the record for quite a time before he sold it to me. If I remember correctly, when he put it on a tape for me he said he had found it 'at the bottom of a wardrobe'.

Brad and Barrie were turning up a great deal of records back then. I had first copies of King George - I Need You - Audio Arts, Ricky Lewis - Mercury, Barry White - Faro in the same batch and Guy also regularly got some great stuff from them. It was great to see them both at Brad's 60th recently - top lads and very unassuming!

All best

Ion

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!