Soulsource Record Club Record Of The Day 2012

dthedrug

This arrived today , nice demo 45 in company sleeve (Cheap) another blind buy , not quite sure about it , sounds good loud but gets a little messy toward the end , thoughts anyone ?

BOBBY PARIS - LET ME SHOW THE WAY

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

Been tried at gigs a few times over the years but never really 'stuck'. It's missing something eh? Nice demo for a couple of $$s though, sits well next to "Personally" Demo which is also sleeved.

Regards,

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This morning's offering: Another great 45 from the group that were the Yum Yums under Jerry Ross' previous tutelage. This one's arranged by Philadelphia legend Bobby Martin and although Jimmy Bishop's name is alone on the writing credit's I suspect he had "some help". Think my pal Dave F has a Virtue acetate of this, not sure if it's the same take or not. Great femme dancer that gets aired now and then but seem ripe for a reactivation.

Regards,

Dave

https://youtu.be/7tzyJvN4qq8

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Paul

How dare you.........it's Bob n Earl all the way & not that speed-ed up version ...........I feel another thread coming on :D

Love the horns on your post.

Cheers

Martyn

There's certainly enough versions to get a good debate going about which is the best! I love the Traits version too, play that out when I get the chance.

Have to admit to not owning a bob n earl version! :ohmy::shhh:

Social source share

There's certainly enough versions to get a good debate going about which is the best! I love the Traits version too, play that out when I get the chance.

Have to admit to not owning a bob n earl version! :ohmy::shhh:

Paul

Think the Traits version is probably the best dance version?

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

HI ALL THIS IS A CLASSIC FROM OUT OF MY, A US RECORD FROM ME TO-DAY NOT SURE! BUT I THINK IT WAS A BLACKPOOL MECCA SOUND, IT'S IN MY TIP-TOP 500 NORTHERN SOUL US LIST?

LEE ROGERS "MY ONE AND ONLY!- D-TOWN 1062 VALUE O DUNNO HOW MANY £'S AS THE LABEL USED TO BE EASY TO FIND, A BIT LIKE RIC-TIC HOWEVER IT'S A GOOD UN! CHEERS DAVE

My type of record cheap,but sounds a $million$.

played it at the last months Rafa in Newton Aycliffe.

kev

Social source share

Morning all :thumbsup:

Does this one qualify for the group ?

Always loved this version and as opinions go .. don't care who thinks either is better ..both are fantastic imho and great in their own way .

But because of rarity this one is under the radar :(

Uploaded via mix cloud ...should be ok but if it's contravening any copyright rules ..please let me know and i'll remove it :yes:

TONNY HYMES -TIME AIN'T GONNA DO ME NO FAVOR

https://www.mixcloud.com/nev-griffiths/tonny-hymes-time-aint-gonna-do-me-no-favor/

• Helpful 1
Social source share

This afternoon's offering: A great uptempo song given the Gamble and Huff treatment. Original by Dee Erwin on Redd Coach although also released on Imperial I suppose it's the Chuck Jackson ABC version that's probably the best known. Here's Mr Sigler belting out his version.

Regards,

Dave

Dave

Had mine since Wigan,great dancer,heard it out a couple of times recently.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

My type of record cheap,but sounds a $million$.

played it at the last months Rafa in Newton Aycliffe.

kev

:hatsoff2: HI KEV, Tgat is exactly why I started the thread, it has to be eclectic in form to make it enjoyable, for every one, it does not matter if it is woth 50p or £5000, if it turns you on and you want to share the tune, especialy if you feel "it's to good to be forgotten, what more can I say" :thumbsup: It also allows you to recieve feedback from DJ & collectors alike, And if you want to be a DJ but will be seldom asked, your choice, for 1 day is just the same BUZZ! well I get emence enjoyment from the thread, thats why I dont post every day as even that sometimes may put others of posting, I would love to have a club to go to and here what brilliant records that have been picked by all members rather than have the same stuff being played all the while, thanks for your comments, :thumbup: DAVE
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Yet another tune I've never heard ! Like that Martyn , very nice

Cheers

Swifty :thumbsup:

Swifty

Never had a great deal of turntable action but when it does always gets quite a good dancefloor reaction which always makes me wonder why it's never got more plays???

And a cheapie :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

This morning's offering: First done I think by The Stylistics although this may be the original I'm not 100% sure. Both great, falsetto style, sweet soul outings that just float along. Great group the Vibrations, out of California as youthful singers, great Philly connections, including having the writer of Storm Warning, The Laws Of Love amongst other Philly monsters (Carl Fisher), who became a great friend. This 45 may say Chess but it's pure mid 70s Intruders styled Philly.

Regards,

Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuASolhjlWQ

Social source share

Had to stop in last night as York was cancelled due to the snow.We got about 3/4 inches of it about 9.30-ish last night here in Hull,so ended up been a good decision.

So here's one of my all time fave slowies to warm you up.

Wade Flemons-That Other Place Vee Jay

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

This morning's offering: Another quality 45 from Weldon's protege with the Jimmy Bishop writing credit. Ms Mason knew (knows) how to deliver a sweet ballad with a little 'lushness' in the arrangement probably better than anyone else from the city's golden era I reckon. Another Hitsville Sunday Soul Brunch play.

Regards,

Dave

https://youtu.be/uXWxyZ7EbJw

Social source share

This morning's offering: Probably in the top 5 most 'majestic' introductions. Great Billy Jackson song sung by a stalwart of the Northern scene. Can't remember when I last heard this outside of my record room. Fantastic dancer for the price of a can of coke! Just how we like 'em! :thumbup:

Regards,

Dave

POST 677 ON THE LAST THREAD :thumbup:

KEV

Social source share

Previously unissused till Goldmine put it out as b side of one of their 7" has since been put out on starburst i think.

L V Johnson Got to get rid of you same as J J barnes so think it would be a Groovesville recording by Don Davis

BRILLIANT!

https://youtu.be/SFhUUNNg2sY

Don Davis all the way. Strong percussion led vocal, subtle female supporting vocals (hate the phrase backing singers!), tempo that makes you almost wanna slew your words. And then, halfway through, that marshmallow soft sax takes you to heaven and back...GroovesVille, late 60s Detroit? ABSO- FOOKIN'-LUTELY! Post of the thread so far for me.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

:hatsoff2: Hi All I was ging to post somthing differant? but for most of you this will be differant, and a world away from what you are used to? However Brothers & Sisters this record is in the roots of rare uptempo dance music, and played live at the Twisted Wheel in 1969

on PYE 7N 17631 the Ferris Wheel - the NA NA song

I hope you like it as much as I do :thumbup: DAVE

https://youtu.be/V-Wu1HDSLHg

Social source share