Soulsource Record Club Record Of The Day 2012 (Spring)

This afternoon's offering: I've only just got one of these and the youtube video claims it's a version of Nevertheless - It's not. it's a great version of a great song that was also done by The Vibrations amongst others, under it's real title "Gonna Get Along Without You". Songs are quite similar in structure but not the same. Anyone got any info on this version? Lots of reissues/remixed versions of stuff on this label that I think was owned by Philly mover and shaker Jerry Greene but this is the only label for this song. Can't ever remember hearing this version anywhere? Great old school pounder once again.

Regards,

Dave

https://youtu.be/RTnDozpTdY4

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Picked up a demo of this back when it was massive at Wigan then forgot about it

So i'll give it a run out !

Al Foster Night of the Wolf !

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest allnightandy

Missed this on Ebay a few years ago , then got a message from seller that he had a box full so bought one stone mint for the same price as it finished at auction !

Social source share

One that landed on the doormat yesterday a great girlie version of George Smith's monster,think it's a really good "other version".

Robin Rice-I've Had It Crackerjack

Cheers

Martyn

Have this on the local release (Metro), also. Anyone looking for a CrackerJack W/Demo? I have a spare.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Missed this on Ebay a few years ago , then got a message from seller that he had a box full so bought one stone mint for the same price as it finished at auction !

The video shows the second issue #. It also came out on #1011. There's also a mistitled "Mend the Broken Pieces" on the same # WDJ. One of the best double siders ever methinks. :thumbsup: The late Kae Williams was a well known Philly DJ/Record guy. His son, who passed away last year, was also in the business. The label was named after him: Kae Williams Jnr. We met him in 2005/6.

Mike Terry and Jack Ashford (A Philadelphian) song that Yvonne does in her own sultry Philly style. Great record..

Regards,

Dave

Edited by Dave Moore
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

One that landed on the doormat yesterday a great girlie version of George Smith's monster,think it's a really good "other version".

Robin Rice-I've Had It Crackerjack

Cheers

Martyn

Always really rated this version Martyn, ya know Tony Bruno, who co-wrote and produced this track (under his other writing name "A Puglisi) wasn't aware that it had been done later by George Smith? and his name was also missing from the credits!)

In the 60's Tony Bruno had one name for ASCAP published tunes (Puglisi, his real name) and one for BMI (Bruno)

... useless info I know LOL.

Got a lot of respect for Tony Bruno and his 60's work (love his own beat ballads too) I mean, anyone who had a hand in writing Marie Knight's "That's No Way To Treat A Girl" is ok by me! :thumbsup:

steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Always really rated this version Martyn, ya know Tony Bruno, who co-wrote and produced this track (under his other writing name "A Puglisi) wasn't aware that it had been done later by George Smith? and his name was also missing from the credits!)

In the 60's Tony Bruno had one name for ASCAP published tunes (Puglisi, his real name) and one for BMI (Bruno)

... useless info I know LOL.

Got a lot of respect for Tony Bruno and his 60's work (love his own beat ballads too) I mean, anyone who had a hand in writing Marie Knight's "That's No Way To Treat A Girl" is ok by me! :thumbsup:

steve

I never realised this was written by Tony Bruno! Nice one... :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Guest allnightandy

This morning's offering: With hook similar to The Ringleaders on M-Pac this Hall/Oates performance is their best outing on Jimmy Bishop's Arctic label for me. Need to upgrade to a mintish WDJ of this if anyone can help. Proper stuff this. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

Either the cameraman was pissed or i was ?

Notice his Chewing gum stuck on top of the stylus LoL

Social source share

I hope this works.SECOND TRACK ON THIS LP CLIP 2.24 MINS a real dancer Another old LP track played back in 1970 but when I started buying again with the help of the internet found a German single release for it also have it on a EP.I think it could take off with some plays,hope you like it.(played of youtube album carrying on https://youtu.be/h3sDyZqPkJc

Lou Rawls Walkin' proud

post-9178-0-83703300-1332504638_thumb.jp

Edited by bri. phill
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I hope this works.SECOND TRACK ON THIS LP CLIP 2.24 MINS a real dancer Another old LP track played back in 1970 but when I started buying again with the help of the internet found a German single release for it also have it on a EP.I think it could take off with some plays,hope you like it.(played of youtube album carrying on

Lou Rawls Walkin' proud

Walking Proud... great track! I've got that EP, a few years back I came across this and thought what a great track. In my ignorance thought it would be totally unknown, great to see it got played back in 1970.. just goes to show Brian, you can only say something is "unknown" to yourself! Have looked for a 45 single release on this, didn't know it came out in Germany, thanx for that. :thumbsup:

steve

Social source share

Hi Steve,

Yeah use to play it off the album and then had it cut on EMI disc to take to play at the Wheel doubt if it's been played out since same with quite a few other album tracks.

I think it could take off but Lou Rawls doesn't have the biggest following on the NS scene because of his cabaret stuff etc.

Social source share

Have this on the local release (Metro), also. Anyone looking for a CrackerJack W/Demo? I have a spare.

Regards,

Dave

Dave

Never seen it on Metro (has it got "Wanted" on the B side like the Crackerjack release)..........any chance of a scan please.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

This morning's offering: With hook similar to The Ringleaders on M-Pac this Hall/Oates performance is their best outing on Jimmy Bishop's Arctic label for me. Need to upgrade to a mintish WDJ of this if anyone can help. Proper stuff this. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

Dave

Bloody hell this the Ringleaders,brilliant.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Hi Steve,

Yeah use to play it off the album and then had it cut on EMI disc to take to play at the Wheel doubt if it's been played out since same with quite a few other album tracks.

I think it could take off but Lou Rawls doesn't have the biggest following on the NS scene because of his cabaret stuff etc.

Know what you mean regarding Lou's caberet stuff Brian! but with David Axelrod at the healm, Lou had some great 45's at Capitol. Can think of "Dead End Street", "When Love Goes Wrong", Show Business", Love Is A Hurting Thing", "The House Next Door", "You Can Bring Me All Your Heartaches" to name a few, and a few of his Philly Int. tracks too! though again at Philly there was always that "caberet" feel too!

steve

Social source share

I hope this works.SECOND TRACK ON THIS LP CLIP 2.24 MINS a real dancer Another old LP track played back in 1970 but when I started buying again with the help of the internet found a German single release for it also have it on a EP.I think it could take off with some plays,hope you like it.(played of youtube album carrying on

Lou Rawls Walkin' proud

Bri

Big Lou fan & really like this,straight on the wants list.

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

Martyn, a great double sider mate, tother side "When Love Goes Wrong" is a great jazz edged Northern dancer imo.

steve

Steve

Originally bought it for "When Love.." but once I'd heard "Showbiz" unfortunately "When Love.." doesn't get a look in now :thumbup:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Steve

One of his best I think,have played it out a couple of time to no reaction what soever...........what do they know :D

Cheers

Martyn

Yeah Showbusiness great track was popular at the Wheel up untill it closing.

Dead end street got plays in the mid sixties I believe but not later.

Regards

Brian

Social source share

Yeah Showbusiness great track was popular at the Wheel up untill it closing.

Dead end street got plays in the mid sixties I believe but not later.

Regards

Brian

Brian

"Dead End" has been getting a few plays over the past couple of years here & there,another great track by him..........got play the monologue bit :yes:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

Have not posted for a while. Just waiting for this one to fall through the letterbox.

great record, one of my early purchases, mine is on a black label tho

Social source share

Lovely, just LOVELY!

gary

Gary

Bought mine for the brilliant dancer (Give It Back) on the other side & when it arrived flipped it over to find this class tune on the B side.......to say I was a happy bunny is a bit of an understatement :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Gary

Bought mine for the brilliant dancer (Give It Back) on the other side & when it arrived flipped it over to find this class tune on the B side.......to say I was a happy bunny is a bit of an understatement :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

Martyn

i actually bought it for this side but t'other side is indeed a belter.

gary

Social source share