Truthful Feedback

Tezza

I can't think of any negative feedback being removed by any Mods? Sure Martin will be along to confirm as such. We only step in if the negative is blatant slagging off with little effort of a review in sight. Constructive criticism should be welcomed?

I personally like to read all reviews good or bad, the bad as long as it is constructive. I'm sure any like minded promoter, although not liked is open to constructive criticism, otherwise how do you improve?

If you have any criticism of any event you have attended there is nothing to stop you posting what you feel is wrong, as long as it is constructive and you give a reason.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Read some feedback some time back that said ' The evening was banging from the start with the floor heaving all night long.' The review was placed by the Promoter and I can see how they want to build things up but speaking to someone who attended was told the 20 - 30 people attended and it was like a 'Morgue'

Should this be posted in the feedback or is it wrong to do so ??

Social source share

I can't think of any negative feedback being removed by any Mods? Sure Martin will be along to confirm as such. We only step in if the negative is blatant slagging off with little effort of a review in sight.

I personally like to read all reviews good or bad, the bad as long as it is constructive. I'm sure any like minded promoter, although not liked is open to constructive criticism, otherwise how do you improve?

If you have any criticism of any event you have attended there is nothing to stop you posting what you feel is wrong, as long as it is constructive and you give a reason.

Totally agree. How can you improve things if you don't know what needs improving.

The trouble is, as you said, people tend to get personal and not constructive. We should be helping one and other.

Chalky, you've become very astute as you've got older, but then again you always were !!

Social source share

I can't think of any negative feedback being removed by any Mods? Sure Martin will be along to confirm as such. We only step in if the negative is blatant slagging off with little effort of a review in sight. Constructive criticism should be welcomed?

Beat me to it Chalky.

Like Chalky said ANY criticism is welcome as long as it is constructive.

Don't forget most promoters are fans of the music too just like us & most of them will be more than willing to put right any wrongs.

Social source share

The problem with negative feedback is that you upset people... naturally. When I was doing reviews for Manifesto, I was quite honest in my opinions on venues. I looked at not just the number of people through the door, but also the floor reaction, the equipment and the DJ's and their sets. On more than one occasion I slated the equipment which was a real bug bear of mine having run mobile disco's in the past where I felt it necessary to have equipment that would cope with all venues (height, width and floor space can be very much a part of how a set up will sound). By doing this I caused conflict, never to be asked to DJ in the area again. It should have been a pointer to the promoter that something needed addressing.... but it never was. It was always taken personally. The problem, as you say, is that in a forum, the promoter can "big up" the venue and say it was a banging night when in reality, 20 people were in attendance, all mates, all dancing (maybe) but without atmosphere and all saying what a great night. Strike up the barbeque, ask the same 20 people round, play the same tunes from YouTube and the same thing would be said... "What a banging night". All that and a free sausage thrown in too!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

I've been to nights where I've thought that it was lacking in quality sounds, atmosphere and people in and read the look backs where people were at the same do and they've had a fabulous night because the few people in were their best mates and the sounds were their cup of tea.

I agree that truthful feedback is the way forward but it can still be hard to get a good reading of how a do went.

Social source share

If it is constructive and not a slagging then it shouldn't be too much of an upset. I agree n o one likes to read something negative about an event a promoter has put a lot of work into but surely it should be of benefit in the long run.

I've read reviews from some and I think I was at a different venue at the time despite being with said person.

Social source share

The problem with negative feedback is that you upset people... naturally. When I was doing reviews for Manifesto, I was quite honest in my opinions on venues. I looked at not just the number of people through the door, but also the floor reaction, the equipment and the DJ's and their sets. On more than one occasion I slated the equipment which was a real bug bear of mine having run mobile disco's in the past where I felt it necessary to have equipment that would cope with all venues (height, width and floor space can be very much a part of how a set up will sound). By doing this I caused conflict, never to be asked to DJ in the area again. It should have been a pointer to the promoter that something needed addressing.... but it never was. It was always taken personally. The problem, as you say, is that in a forum, the promoter can "big up" the venue and say it was a banging night when in reality, 20 people were in attendance, all mates, all dancing (maybe) but without atmosphere and all saying what a great night. Strike up the barbeque, ask the same 20 people round, play the same tunes from YouTube and the same thing would be said... "What a banging night". All that and a free sausage thrown in too!

I have had the same reaction. The sound system was diabolical, I mentioned it wasn't too good and was lambasted by the promoter and a few others but made to feel like I was in a crowd of 1 !!

Trouble is also that a lot of the people running events are your friends, or at least you talk

to them, acknowledge them, so you feel a little aggrieved to saying anything that they may find hurtful.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have had the same reaction. The sound system was diabolical, I mentioned it wasn't too good and was lambasted by the promoter and a few others but made to feel like I was in a crowd of 1 !!

Trouble is also that a lot of the people running events are your friends, or at least you talk

to them, acknowledge them, so you feel a little aggrieved to saying anything that they may find hurtful.

Quite agree. I may be speaking out of turn by mentioning this but I'm going to anyway. I stopped going to Lowton when it first started because the equipment couldn't cope with the room, or rather the DJ's(?) were insistent on turning the volume up to max for impact and the sound was so distorted it became un-listenable.. to me anyway. There we go, I've said my bit. Promoters please listen. There is no need with todays technology for poor, under performing sound. On that note I'm out of here.

Edited by soulman
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I've come to the conclusion that if you can't say anything good then the best thing to do is say nothing at all. lol

JB xxx KTF xxx

Really - Even if it's a blatant lie.

It's not matter of dissing someone or an event but helping out a colleague !!

Social source share

Really - Even if it's a blatant lie.

It's not matter of dissing someone or an event but helping out a colleague !!

I never lie about something I'm not happy with at a soul do,that's why I don't say anything anymore because of the slagging off you get if you post anything negative. lol

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I never lie about something I'm not happy with at a soul do,that's why I don't say anything anymore because of the slagging off you get if you post anything negative. lol

If you read something about a do you went to and it was obviously an untruth don't you feel like - 'Dear BBC' and all that ?? If you don't then they will get away with it and that's not right is it ??

• Helpful 2
Social source share

If you read something about a do you went to and it was obviously an untruth don't you feel like - 'Dear BBC' and all that ?? If you don't then they will get away with it and that's not right is it ??

No it ain't right!!

I've actually had someone tell me they had a crap time and then post on the forum that they had a great time,I just don't get some folks. lol

Social source share

Terry: If you`re not that bothered about being asked to DJ `round and about` or numbers being negatively effected at the Phoenix, then try and be constructively positive or contradict the views of some people and you will see how positively promoters take on your assistance in trying to point out their flaws. If you are interested inn getting Dj spots and having a good number through the doors of your venue then I think the advice of keeping `yer gob shut` is sound !!

Sharon

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Terry: If you`re not that bothered about being asked to DJ `round and about` or numbers being negatively effected at the Phoenix, then try and be constructively positive or contradict the views of some people and you will see how positively promoters take on your assistance in trying to point out their flaws. If you are interested inn getting Dj spots and having a good number through the doors of your venue then I think the advice of keeping `yer gob shut` is sound !!

Sad but so so true.

Sharon

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Was not gonna post anymore on this site,but hey one more time......Thing is people want to hear nowt critical at all and thats a fact......over the years l have posted about people who blatently rip folk off (guy from northampton)...result everyone has a go at me.

Have put up countless lookbacks which tell it like it is.....result who cares?... (usually a little earner) so they'll say nowt cause they wanna earn some dosh or dj ect ect.....thing is how can an event thats clearly got it wrong,make it right if everyone lies in their lookback.....times i,ve been out and folk have said one thing at the venue and another on here......so theres ya answer lie on here let the promoter think alls well in the garden and then scratch his head when it all goes PETE TONG with everyone telling him what a great night he,s running.....heres a clue though (regards upsetting folk) if you were a boxer and you kept getting your nose broke because your guard was to low would you be upset with ya mates who told you to "keep your guard up"..which resulted in curing the problem....l think not. Mr Positive.

p.s constructive critism is usually/totally ignored

Edited by gordon russell
comment removed
Social source share

Guest Big Al 68

After traveling to various "250+ through the door , banging packed dance floor" nights, only to be told by the regulars that the most in were around 70, feedback , whether positive or negative, no longer holds any sway over me whatsoever. Unless I know the "reporters" personally, I treat nearly all feedback as " bumph", worse than junk mail !

Whatever you read, it's only that persons view, nowt else. Now I just go , if good , I will return, usually with mates . If not so good , I will not give it my money again. But if anyone asks, I give my opinion only, and suggest they find out themselves, as tastes vary wildly.

Most "bull" feedbacks stand out , for me , as they state x amount of punters, but only have a couple of feedback , month after month,usually written by the same 1 or 2 people, in the same, tired format . As Jellybean said above, the silence can be deafening ! Whether a great night or diabolical, just chatting to folk usually puts you in the picture, then the decision to attend or not is your choice ! Seemples........

Social source share

I think "negative" as well as "positive" feedback should be welcomed, after all it gives an idea of what type of soul nite is being promoted, what the music policy is and most importantly gives an idea of the type of people who are following that particular event and why. Agreed by all means be diplomatic with the criticism but my one yardstick is I will try anything once and give it a few goes if there are doubts. Trainspotters, vinyl collectors and dj's who are unable to use a mike are a big no no for me- as well as non-dancing venues where the sole focus is on turgid "one step" rareities which value price of the vinyl above everything else..it must be good... because the Emperor says so. I reserve the right to spend my hard earned on venues that play the kind of music I want to hear on a Friday/Saturday night. I would rather go and try somewhere thats free in order to escape the soul clique. Have even been to venues in S Yorks that were deemed unfashionable, and played atb only to have the best night ever. Each to his own but don't critise a negative feedback if it appears to hold some truth in it.

ATB

Mick

Social source share

If it is constructive and not a slagging then it shouldn't be too much of an upset. I agree n o one likes to read something negative about an event a promoter has put a lot of work into but surely it should be of benefit in the long run.

I've read reviews from some and I think I was at a different venue at the time despite being with said person.

Could'nt agree more .. if its constructive yes. . but moaning or slagging because they get their talc or alcohol taken off them or the sound systems shit ( well move away from the fooking speaker) or they have hidden agendas nah

i think most folks see through the hype or negative feedback on a forum . the one thing that.s worked from the year dot on this scene is word of mouth :yes: which is the biggest driver.

and i think the vast majority of us have been to venues and read feedback and thought wtf :lol: :lol:

Edited by Naughty Boy
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I think "negative" as well as "positive" feedback should be welcomed, after all it gives an idea of what type of soul nite is being promoted, what the music policy is and most importantly gives an idea of the type of people who are following that particular event and why. Agreed by all means be diplomatic with the criticism but my one yardstick is I will try anything once and give it a few goes if there are doubts. Trainspotters, vinyl collectors and dj's who are unable to use a mike are a big no no for me- as well as non-dancing venues where the sole focus is on turgid "one step" rareities which value price of the vinyl above everything else..it must be good... because the Emperor says so. I reserve the right to spend my hard earned on venues that play the kind of music I want to hear on a Friday/Saturday night. I would rather go and try somewhere thats free in order to escape the soul clique. Have even been to venues in S Yorks that were deemed unfashionable, and played atb only to have the best night ever. Each to his own but don't critise a negative feedback if it appears to hold some truth in it.

ATB

Mick

Sorry you're offended by vinyl collectors Mick.Or "trainspotters".Or the soul "clique". :lol:

Everyones truth about a venue is their perception.In general i agree with what your'e saying though.

Social source share

Post removed whilst it is discussed by the moderators.

Not sure what this is all about, however,

Looking forward to the outcome of this discussion and the reasoning behind it's removal.

Maybe this is the answer to terry's question?

Only happy smiley people allowed with positive feedback and don't dare upset people and their precious venues, allegedly.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Youngsters and or newcomers would get a slightly rose tinted view with most of the feedbacks we leave tis true.

Partly due to the sentiments held by Chalky's Nan that we all/most have, but also (perhaps) the thinking of I'm not the kind of chump that would blow a load of dough and travel hundreds of miles for something that's crap - I know better etc..

That said we've all been to crap do's. The way to read between the lines with look backs is, where's there's 2+ pages of comments with everyone raving about it - it was probably good - verses 17 replies and "numbers were a bit down, but all the dj's gave a good account of themselves" = it was crap.

Not just the written word either, it's a brave man or women that'll take a pic of three dancers on a massive floor - more that lot huddled in the corner - if any!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've come to the conclusion that if you can't say anything good then the best thing to do is say nothing at all. lol

JB xxx KTF xxx

I think this is absolutely the right attitude. I used to write reviews for a couple of magazines, and some web-sites, always did it off my own back so no payment was involved, then it became like a job because I found I was sought out to write reviews, that brings different problems. Whether I had a good night was suddenly irrelevant, I was trying to gauge others feelings, it was time consuming, and could lead to petty squabbles, so I stopped. Bottom line is, Jellybean's summing up is perfect, if you enjoyed the night yourself, say so, if you didn't, maybe others did, so a negative review could be unfair.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Not sure what this is all about, however,

Looking forward to the outcome of this discussion and the reasoning behind it's removal.

Maybe this is the answer to terry's question?

Only happy smiley people allowed with positive feedback and don't dare upset people and their precious venues, allegedly.

Hello mate how are you.....spot on with that....thing was the first guy l exposed mike actually threw off the site,second guy probably complained and had the post removed....whatever!!,but just goes to prove in these two cases l was right on the money...however people don,t wanna hear....because it makes them feel uncomfortable..also it means their integrity is called into question......as l said folk prefer to make out they know nowt about it. So as far as venues are concerned say nowt and just don,t go anymore.....if someone asks "why haven,t you been to X,Y or Z lately"....lie atb T

Social source share

Hello mate how are you.....spot on with that....thing was the first guy l exposed mike actually threw off the site,second guy probably complained and had the post removed....whatever!!,but just goes to prove in these two cases l was right on the money...however people don,t wanna hear....because it makes them feel uncomfortable..also it means their integrity is called into question......as l said folk prefer to make out they know nowt about it. So as far as venues are concerned say nowt and just don,t go anymore.....if someone asks "why haven,t you been to X,Y or Z lately"....lie atb T

as chalky says a post was removed while awaiting moderation

idea of him posting that is so that members are aware and help avoid any unneeded speculation

once moderation (if any) has been decided will post

people posting guessing mod decisions/reasons before they have been made or indeed discussed doesn't really help with the moderation side of things

so ask members in such cases at the very least wait till we have made a decision before commenting

thanks

mike

Social source share

Yep as the Simses said, there's a skill to interpreting what a do was really like. It's all in the nuances. I nearly always really enjoy the 100 Club, there was only one I really didn't about 2 years ago and i did say it in my lookback piece. That may have been the one that started the "Let's support the 100 Club and not take it for granted" movement. If so then it was more than worthwhile criticising my own gaff! Ady

Social source share

Post removed whilst it is discussed by the moderators.

a comment has been removed in one earlier post due to a complaint about serious accusations regarding a past occurrence

all members please note if you ever do feel a need to make such posts on here, then do ask that ask that you word them in a factual manner which reflects the seriousness and backs up any accusations with facts

as always ask if members do wish to discuss any element of soul source site moderation then please do so in the feedback forum rather than the actual threads

thanks

mike

Social source share

Glass half full or half empty? Simsy - "numbers down,but dj's gave good account of themselves".Been to a few nights like this.Sometimes its the truth and not always a crap night.

Depends how many folks you need around you to have a good time.

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Guest Bearsy

Too off me face to give a shit normally but when I had once been critical I got attacked from every angle by those running the venue, a quick phone call or 2 and a face to face chat soon ended all that bolux, needless to say I would never attend anything them 2 faced lying shitbags ever promoted again .....

The other issue is half the scene are djs so saying anything negative about any venue would almost guarantee no dj bookings.

Social source share

Too off me face to give a shit normally but when I had once been critical I got attacked from every angle by those running the venue, a quick phone call or 2 and a face to face chat soon ended all that bolux, needless to say I would never attend anything them 2 faced lying shitbags ever promoted again .....

The other issue is half the scene are djs so saying anything negative about any venue would almost guarantee no dj bookings.

Well you wouldn't want to dj at a venue you'd criticised anyway. :thumbup:

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Guest davethedisc

Mmm...I think what Tezza was eluding to hear may not be about criticism (constructive or otherwise) to help promoters rectify shortcomings but more a lack of honesty from the promoter or feedback poster regarding the true outcome of the event or the underlying motives for putting it on. Aliens visiting "Planet Northern" and using Soul Source event feedbacks as their guide would no doubt think that, there has never been a poorly attended do, all persons who get behind the decks do "crackin spots" and always to a full dance floor. In all walks of life where you are "into a scene" there will be liars, cheats, dullards, weirdos, deluded egotistical maniacs, sycophants and those who may not have the best interests of the "scene" in general at heart. You will fortunately, come across a large section of honest, genuine, intelligent, "normal", cheerful, dedicated people who have no hidden agendas and simply want to listen to the music they like and have a bit of a dance with some like minded souls. The scene belongs to everyone and no-one. You as an individual have the ability to assimilate information about an event and the people promoting or being associated with it, to process that information and then make a personal choice as to whether you wish to patronise and support that event. Some will take a moral stance regarding perceived validity of the presentation of the music and the format used to deliver it, others will use differing personally specific criteria to determine whether or not they will attend.

I would suggest that you do not need qualifications in rocket propulsion to see through some of the feedback, just a few months on the scene and a few visits to different venues to gain an understanding of the musical variances within the "Rare/Northern Soul" genre and the promoters and DJs who tend to deliver the stuff you prefer, to be able to gauge what's right for you. On balance people tend to associate with those with similar likes and views to themselves. The good news is you have the power to make your own decisions! It would be unrealistic to expect people to be totally honest, you just need to read between the lines and make an informed choice.

Social source share

I personally think that most feed back is sometime,s pumped up, the best thing to do, is make your own informed choice, by DJ line up, music policy, however, what,s one person,s gold, is another,s coal, we all have different idea,s and tastes, and expectations , I have none except about what is to be played, thats my only concern , I do oldies across the board , and rare soul. where ever I chose to go, I always have a good idea what to expect. There has been times when I have been somewhere in the past, and been bored shitless, looked at the lookback,s and thought, I must have been somewhere different :g: but, just because I have not thought much of it, does not mean to say everybody else felt the same, perhaps sometimes, my expectations have been to high, but generally i know what I am gonna get, where ever i choose to go. So my rule is always, not to put feed back for somewhere if I have not enjoyed it, rather than be untruthful . Most problems arise because if its not packed with loads of people , people wont go, whatever,s played, and that in my opinion is detrimental to venue, and a shame , instead of having patience and faith , to help it build up , they don't bother , or scrub it off, and even far worse, say to other,s ..don't bother going there, they dont get no one in, if I had a pound for every time I heard that phrase, I would be able to buy count the days! :yes: .I have heard the most fantastic music in the most worst venue,s . but some people want a great venue, the best dancefloor, packed out,posh loo,s ect, they want it on a plate, well let me tell you, you cant have it all your way, all the time,have a bit more faith, tell the truth in a constructive way, is far better than slagging some where off , I do always say what,s on my mind weather people like it or not, I,m not out to win friends and influence people , or be in anyone,s camp, I,m hear to enjoy something that's, been a massive part of my life for the last 35 years :thumbup:

I agree with you wholeheartedly. My 'gripe' if you wish to call it that is the blatant stuff. Yes we have all been to nights with a handful present and they have played a set that would be hard to better. Also been to a few Nighters etc, heard some Headlining DJ and thought WTF !! but that, as you said, is my opinion and others in the house could love or hate it with as much verve.

The stuff that riles me the most is the ' the floor was packed all night, place was heaving, another packed night' when in reality there was a handful of punters and no one danced. I understand that a promoter needs to push their venue as they need to make it pay for them to pay the DJs and the Hire for the Room but at what cost. A simple 'had a great night etc' would suffice with no need to mention numbers or the business on the floor but to tell an untruth is morally not right.

Its been a massive part of all our lives for 35 years or more and we should respect one and other.

Makes me feel sad for the rest !!

Edited by Tezza
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

me gran said that..."if tha's nowt good to seh keep tha gob shut"

thats why whenever I notice NO feedback at all for a night I assume it must have been slightly sub-optimal LOL

Another good way to get your own impression and make up your wn mind is to have a look at photos from the night. some (most actually) can have a very unmasking effect ..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!