James Lynn Marsh - Searchin For My Baby - Gay Shel....tune

Recently picked this up off ebay in a VG- condition but as you can tell from the soundfile it plays really well. I've never heard it played out and was wondering if any one knows it or has a copy? A few people i would expect to have it tucked away in thier collections have (marc forrest :wink: ) but I think this is well uner he radar and i REALLY RELLY rate it!

It's the same vocalist 'James Lynn Marsh' who singson 'Charles Johnson - You made a mistake which fecthes $$$$, a spin for Pomonkey, Honky, Alfie, Ted Massey, Pat Bleasdale and maybe one or two more.

well here it is, thought i would share it with you to find out more info i.e if it has had plays etc.

Enjoy!

Callum

Edited by callum_64
Social source share

Recently picked this up off ebay in a VG- condition but as you can tell from the soundfile it plays really well. I've never heard it played out and was wondering if any one knows it or has a copy? A few people i would expect to have it tucked away in thier collections have (marc forrest :wink: ) but I think this is well uner he radar and i REALLY RELLY rate it!

It's the same vocalist 'James Lynn Marsh' who singson 'Charles Johnson - You made a mistake which fecthes $$$$, a spin for Pomonkey, Honky, Alfie, Ted Massey, Pat Bleasdale and maybe one or two more.

well here it is, thought i would share it with you to find out more info i.e if it has had plays etc.

Enjoy!

Callum

Got one recently,after having it on tape from phil wainwright for over 15 years and asking everyone,no one knew it,thanks to ged parker,who also has a copy for supplying artist and title,looks like the copies are all in the north west.I rate this as rare and not that well known,fantastic record.
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

indeed a great tune. not really under the radar though anymore, its been a a Hip City spin for some time and I even dared to play it at the recent Southampton Allnighter and Manchester European Cultured Festival Northern Soull night in May.

Also included on our recent 22nd Annivesary CD in July.

I can honestly say all his 45s on Gay Shel are very much worthwhile! Fantastic Texas Soul.

Edited by Marc Forrest
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

indeed a great tune. not really under the radar though anymore, its been a a Hip City spin for some time and I even dared to play it at the recent Southampton Allnighter and Manchester European Cultured Festival Northern Soull night in May.

Also included on our recent 22nd Annivesary CD in July.

I can honestly say all his 45s on Gay Shel are very much worthwhile! Fantastic Texas Soul.

But Marc you are so far ahead of the game it still has to be under the Radar :thumbsup: , Strange how a record gains momentum all of a sudden! I'll keep and eye out for his other 45's.

Callum

Social source share

Ha! We've all had the same 45 interest recently then. I'd been looking for it too. The Big Bo is an awesome slice of mid tempo on the label.

Indeed, I have two instrumental Big Bo 45s on Gay Shel plus the fabulous "I`ve Got To Go" I played the great flipside to

https://snd.sc/QqFghU on solar radio a month ago.

"Well, Get it" used to be a regular spin of mine at such places as the Hideaway and Club Separee here in Berlin some ten plus years ago. Last friday when deejaying together with Callum (who did a great set!) at the Berlin Beat Explosion weekender I gave it a spin again...it sounded so goood!

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

It's a great record but also is a very typical rhythm & soul sound with the horns etc. What I mean by that is it doesn't have any complex or left field elements to it so should work well on the dancefloor. Popsike shows a few sales all in the last few years.

It does Joel, after I played it at the Southampton Allnighter I had two people coming up the stage to ask me what it was.

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

I often wonder how records like this find favour all of a sudden in different places with different DJ's. Even though rare copies seem to hit peoples playlist independantly around the same time.

Reminds me of when I was playing the Sonics - Find Myself Another Girl as an unknown' only for me to hear it was being played in Germany at exactly the same time.

The James Marsh always goes well with.....................

.........well you'll just have to be at the Southport Weekender to find that out :wink::D

Social source share

'I often wonder how records like this find favour all of a sudden in different places with different DJ's. Even though rare copies seem to hit peoples playlist independantly around the same time.'

Ebay Ged!!! :)

Most of my records come from more 'traditional' routes; but your probably right.

Social source share

The Gay Shel label has been collected for a fair while - I had a copy many moons ago aswell - in fact I almost reviewed it for Shades of Soul back in the day. Goes well with as label mate Fred Lowery which also gained a national release on Atco.

Edited by Flynny
Social source share

Got one recently,after having it on tape from phil wainwright for over 15 years and asking everyone,no one knew it,thanks to ged parker,who also has a copy for supplying artist and title,looks like the copies are all in the north west.I rate this as rare and not that well known,fantastic record.

Aye up Mick

Hope you well. One I should have kept! Doh!

Saus also used to play it at Wilton etc covered up around the same time.

Have fun,

Phil

Social source share

Aye up Mick

Hope you well. One I should have kept! Doh!

Saus also used to play it at Wilton etc covered up around the same time.

Have fun,

Phil

still got the tape mate,need to see if I can get it converted onto disc,kings of soul,willie dee,soul brothers inc"teardrops" out a sights "for the rest of my life" etc,speak soon.
Social source share

The Gay Shel label has been collected for a fair while - I had a copy many moons ago aswell - in fact I almost reviewed it for Shades of Soul back in the day. Goes well with as label mate Fred Lowery which also gained a national release on Atco.

mind you, the atco rel. sounds terribly disstorted. theres also two other very nice 45s by fred lowery on gay shel, "daddy´s baby" (my fave by him) and "cant get enough of my babys love" ... by the way this is sadly the only gay shel release I am missing if anyone wants to get rid of a copy ,) ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!