Soul Source Record Of The Day,(Some Say It's The Nights Drawing In?)Late Fall2012

dthedrug

• Replies 806
  • Views 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

lovely bit of sunday soul from me, been listening to this stuff all afternoon - perfect

Niteflyte (feat the voice of Jean Carne) - If You Believe on Expansion 12" from 2003

Social source share

Blimey - this is a traditional northern soul record isn't it? I'm not sure if I've heard that before - nice one buddy. Yep, I like this.

Peter

:thumbsup:

I would also describe it as a very traditional northern sound. It's one of these records in my collection that I appreciate very much. It's not that expensive, but it sounds fantastic :wink: I got my copy a couple of years back, but it did take me a bit of time to source a nice one, so that probably adds to my appreciation. And I got it very cheap. The seller had describe it as VG, but after a cleaning it was M-.

Edited by Preben
Social source share

lovely bit of sunday soul from me, been listening to this stuff all afternoon - perfect

Niteflyte (feat the voice of Jean Carne) - If You Believe on Expansion 12" from 2003

Fantastic record. Always loved this but thought it was CD track only. Never knew it came out on a 12". Must keep an eye open for this now.

Cheers

Dave

Social source share

Midtempo female magic on RCA today.... 1st time I heard it I thought it was slow to start and made up my mind 30 seconds in that I didn't like it, but it just gets better, and I loved it and had to have it by the time it finished!

Lesley Miller - You got a way of bringing out my tears

Social source share

I was playing some Johnny Bristol stuff last night and doing a bit of research on tinternet. Blimey, he wrote and produced/co produced loads of stuff as well as performing some of his own stuff. Brilliant.

So, here's mine for the day. Man up in the Sky - Mr Johnny Bristol. A bit of very soulful gospel for the afternoon.

Peter

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I was playing some Johnny Bristol stuff last night and doing a bit of research on tinternet. Blimey, he wrote and produced/co produced loads of stuff as well as performing some of his own stuff. Brilliant.

So, here's mine for the day. Man up in the Sky - Mr Johnny Bristol. A bit of very soulful gospel for the afternoon.

Peter

He has a bl**dy great voice too! Nice one Peter

Social source share

Glenn Jones' singing origins are in the Church. Jones spent most of his teen and early adult years singing Gospel in various groups, most notably the Modulations. He then worked with many of the Gospel greats of the 70s, including Rev. James Cleveland and the Mighty Clouds of Joy, and appeared to have a bright future in the Gospel world.

In the late 70s, Jones came to the attention of producer Norman Connors. Connors recruited Jones to sing on his 1980 LP, Take It To the Limit. After touring with Connors, Jones signed with RCA Records for what would be a four-year relationship. During that period he worked with Connors, SOLAR producer Leon Sylvers and others, and released some moderately successful material, including "Show Me, " "Bring Me Back Your Love," and a fine duet with Dionne Warwick, "Finder of Lost Loves"

He jumped to Jive Records in 1987 and scored his biggest crossover hit, "We've Only Just Begun," He had another hit two years later with "Stay" before moving to Atlantic Records and scoring his first Soul #1 with "Here I Go Again" and a top 10 follow-up, "I've Been Searching (Nobody Like You)." He recorded his last Atlantic LP, "Here I Am," two years later.

In 2002, Jones signed with Russ Freeman's Peak Records and released "Feels Good"

2006, on Shanachie Records he brought out Forever: Timeless R&B Classics, an album of soul music cover songs.

Late in 2012, Jones is working on new music, with an album on the horizon tentatively titled Give it Time.

Social source share

Glenn Jones' singing origins are in the Church. Jones spent most of his teen and early adult years singing Gospel in various groups, most notably the Modulations. He then worked with many of the Gospel greats of the 70s, including Rev. James Cleveland and the Mighty Clouds of Joy, and appeared to have a bright future in the Gospel world.

In the late 70s, Jones came to the attention of producer Norman Connors. Connors recruited Jones to sing on his 1980 LP, Take It To the Limit. After touring with Connors, Jones signed with RCA Records for what would be a four-year relationship. During that period he worked with Connors, SOLAR producer Leon Sylvers and others, and released some moderately successful material, including "Show Me, " "Bring Me Back Your Love," and a fine duet with Dionne Warwick, "Finder of Lost Loves"

He jumped to Jive Records in 1987 and scored his biggest crossover hit, "We've Only Just Begun," He had another hit two years later with "Stay" before moving to Atlantic Records and scoring his first Soul #1 with "Here I Go Again" and a top 10 follow-up, "I've Been Searching (Nobody Like You)." He recorded his last Atlantic LP, "Here I Am," two years later.

In 2002, Jones signed with Russ Freeman's Peak Records and released "Feels Good"

2006, on Shanachie Records he brought out Forever: Timeless R&B Classics, an album of soul music cover songs.

Late in 2012, Jones is working on new music, with an album on the horizon tentatively titled Give it Time.

Paul

Thank you very muchly :thumbsup:

Looks like a talented guy.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Paul

Thank you very muchly :thumbsup:

Looks like a talented guy.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Was it his I am Somebody 45 which had some plays in the early 80's - I think it was might have been Adam? Anything else?

Cheers

peter

P

Think that was about 1983 Peter, was a little bit funky disco for a lot of people, but did get a few plays out. A year later there was this... much better!

You're the only one I love from the Finesse album

Social source share

Cheers Paul.

I've got the Finesse album - funny what time does to our memories. I can remember I am Somebody being played out back then but not this. Funny old world. :huh:

I've got loads of sealed albums in my office at work which I bought from someone on here about four years ago - gonna bring em home, unwrap em and spin em!

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hiya Peter

All i can find is that they had 2 UK releases in 1975, this being the second. Their first was Thank You Girl, but i've never heard it, although JM has one for sale :-)

Mm, wasn't aware of this version Ady and it's nice isn't it. Any idea who the IG's are? Al Wilson is the version for me.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

How's about this baby - from the dirty box, forgot I had it and don't know where it came from. :huh:

Stunning soul music - in my honest and humble opinion.

Peter

Title? Artist? -- For those of us stuck behind firewalls, thought you'd got the hang of it now Peter!

Social source share

How's about this baby - from the dirty box, forgot I had it and don't know where it came from. :huh:

Stunning soul music - in my honest and humble opinion.

Peter

this was on that steppin stone cd that came out last year , santa fetched me one :thumbsup: , full of top tunes like this one. says alt vocal on the cd ,
Social source share