Soul Source Record Of The Day,(Some Say It's The Nights Drawing In?)Late Fall2012

dthedrug

• Replies 806
  • Views 26.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Bloody hell boys,I leave you alone for a day & you go mad,I'll catch up ASAP.

As it's Saturday night & I'm stopping in :( thought I'd post one I wished I was out dancing to.

This is one of my collecting "results",paid $6 for a mint demo & seen it listed at £100+.........well chuffed :thumbup:

Gerri Granger - Ain't It Funny Big Top

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Bloody hell boys,I leave you alone for a day & you go mad,I'll catch up ASAP.

As it's Saturday night & I'm stopping in :( thought I'd post one I wished I was out dancing to.

This is one of my collecting "results",paid $6 for a mint demo & seen it listed at £100+.........well chuffed :thumbup:

Gerri Granger - Ain't It Funny Big Top

Spot on Martyn, we all love getting a bargain mate :thumbsup:

steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The Violinaires - I Don't Know

I bought this recently on the strength of their Gospel Classics connection. I personally really like it but would be interested to know others thoughts. Maybe you have to go to church on Sundays to get into it ? :thumbup:

Got the following off the net:-

Members of "The Gospel Classics" were previous members of the Violinaires. The members were Melvin Reed, Leo Coney, Wilson DeShields, James Malone, Cleofas Tilmon, Elceanor Debose, and Charles Williams Five of them were previous Violinaires.

Not sure I'd want to hear it out??Saying that I wouldn't mind too much.Certainly a cracker for home :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Sort of off topic but just pulled another out the box - I won't post it up cos I don't particularly like it. Ted Ford You're Gonna Need Me - just played the flip Give Me One More Chance - which ain't a bad ballad.

Anyway it's in a nice old, coloured paper RCA sleeve with a "Mecolico" sticker stuck which says:

Specially Imported By

Soul Bowl 5p

Under licence from MCPS on payment of the precsribed royalty to the British Copyright owners.

Not of huge interest but a little bit of nostalgia.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Sort of off topic but just pulled another out the box - I won't post it up cos I don't particularly like it. Ted Ford You're Gonna Need Me - just played the flip Give Me One More Chance - which ain't a bad ballad.

Anyway it's in a nice old, coloured paper RCA sleeve with a "Mecolico" sticker stuck which says:

Specially Imported By

Soul Bowl 5p

Under licence from MCPS on payment of the precsribed royalty to the British Copyright owners.

Not of huge interest but a little bit of nostalgia.

Peter

Fook me , forgot all about that one Peter , sorry but gonna put it up , class imho , used to have it myself, thanks for reminding me :thumbsup:

Swifty :thumbsup:

Edited by SWIFTY
Social source share

Peter, with that dirty box of yours, you should get a spot at Filthy Soul All Dayer :thumbup:

That made me smile mate. :wink:

Got a nice Johnny Dean record "I've got a feeling that we'll be seeing each other again" it's a cover of the Al Wilson record. It's a stunner from 1984 produced by Willie Mitchell. There's no clip on tinternet - anyone know it and or have a clip. Pat Brady gave this a few spins as a new release.

Cheers

Peter

Social source share

Ted Ford - You're gonna need me - Sound Stage Seven

Peter , I'll have your's mate if you don't want it :wicked:

Peter/Swifty

Plays back end of Wigan??Certainly used to get played at Oval Ball by Alan Rhodes I think it was.Have always loved it you & never hear it out,these are the sort of oldies that should get played out more often rather then the usual played out stuff..........I'll get off my soap box now :wink:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Peter/Swifty

Plays back end of Wigan??Certainly used to get played at Oval Ball by Alan Rhodes I think it was.Have always loved it you & never hear it out,these are the sort of oldies that should get played out more often rather then the usual played out stuff..........I'll get off my soap box now :wink:

Cheers

Martyn

Martyn

I reckon that would be about right - a long time ago anyway. For some reason it is really famliar to me - but I've never played it at home for years. Was this a main stream tune?

Peter

:g:

Social source share

Right, I better not be greedy - ought to make this the last one from me.

Earl Connelly Make Up Your Mind. Bit of a Mecca classic apparently - before my time. However, I could see this getting some current plays.

Peter

Bloody love this record.... 'modern' as it should be... northern!

Social source share

Peter/Swifty

Cheers

Martyn

Far older than that Martyn - great record and i had pulled mine out to post it tonight...... beaten to it again!

Social source share

Far older than that Martyn - great record and i had pulled mine out to post it tonight...... beaten to it again!

Beaten by my dirty box too Paul! You really must try harder. :D

So why does that Ted Ford sound so familiar - do you know if it was a mainstream record?

Peter

Social source share

Paul

Maybe so,but that when I remember it from,been a whipper snapper I wouldn't know about before that :wicked:

To answer Peter it was never that main stream,few plays here & there at the time but never really took off.........but it did with me.Mines on Seventy Seven would love a copy on Sound Stage 7 but never seen one for sale on that........anyone know how much the SS7 copies go for please.

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

None of this easy Sunday morning stuff from me (amazing how you feel when you've not been out :lol:)

Dance craze mover today,one I think could cross over from the R n B rooms into the main rooms??

Little Ray-Come Swim With Me Faro

Little Ray (real name Ramon Jimenez) Renowned "Eastside" L.A. Chicano singer, who could belt out a dance tune or drop into a deep soulful ballad. Nice one Martyn, also rate his Columbia 45 he recorded later as Ray Jimenez "I'll Keep On Loving You" but really prefer the flip that these days, "Leave Her Alone"

Another track of his I love is the deep swayer "Ive Been Trying", got it on Atco, it also came out on Donna (which is a slighty different take having backing vocals)

steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Little Ray (real name Ramon Jimenez) Renowned "Eastside" L.A. Chicano singer, who could belt out a dance tune or drop into a deep soulful ballad. Nice one Martyn, also rate his Columbia 45 he recorded later as Ray Jimenez "I'll Keep On Loving You" but really prefer the flip that these days, "Leave Her Alone"

Another track of his I love is the deep swayer "Ive Been Trying", got it on Atco, it also came out on Donna (which is a slighty different take having backing vocals)

steve

Steve

Great info,didn't realise Little Ray = Ray Jimenez.Also love "Leave Her Alone",top tune :thumbsup:

Cheers

Martyn

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The Ted Ford one reminded me of this for some bizzare reason , maybe played same sort of time?

CHARLES WRIGHT - KEEP SAYING - PHILLIPS

proper Old school Northern IMHO

Cheers

Swifty

Another that proves my moan of yesterday?An oldie I haven't heard in years & one that takes me back to when I could get out of a chair without making a noise :wicked:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Swifty

Another that proves my moan of yesterday?An oldie I haven't heard in years & one that takes me back to when I could get out of a chair without making a noise :wicked:

Cheers

Martyn

Martyn , I know where you're coming from mate , these sort of tunes seem to be ignored now .

Cheers

P.S. I can't remember ever being able to get out of a chair without making a noise :lol:

Edited by SWIFTY
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Here's another oldie but in my top 10 alltime faves , bought 3 copies from the states late 70's I think , off Bob Cataneo,

sold 2 for £2 each and kept one for me. Since found out 20 odd years later that they were a bit iffy?? :wicked:

CASANOVA TWO - WE GOT TO KEEP ON - EARLY BIRD

Cheers

Social source share