Show Us Your Bird & Wildlife Photos

Amsterdam Russ

Guest MBarrett

I'm on the Committee of the Friends Group for our local Park.

There is a chap who takes some fantastic wildlife photos in the Park and the Sandwell Valley.

There are a few on the website at the moment - bottom of the page. http://www.friendsofdartmouthpark.org.uk/index.htm

Until a few days ago there was a beautiful one of 2 swans with their necks making a heart shape.

I'll post the link again when any new ones go up.

MB

Social source share

I'm on the Committee of the Friends Group for our local Park.

There is a chap who takes some fantastic wildlife photos in the Park and the Sandwell Valley.

There are a few on the website at the moment - bottom of the page. http://www.friendsofdartmouthpark.org.uk/index.htm

Until a few days ago there was a beautiful one of 2 swans with their necks making a heart shape.

I'll post the link again when any new ones go up.

Mark. some nice pictures there. look forward to seeing any new ones appear

Steve

MB

Social source share

post-33051-0-51731500-1401825277_thumb.j Euphorbia serrata

post-33051-0-40208900-1401825002_thumb.j Common Centaury

post-33051-0-95065400-1401825313_thumb.j Leuzia

Spanish flora is the most diverse in Europe, but some are very difficult to identify, when I post things it's because I'm pretty certain I've identified them, if you could see the file of unidentified plants you'd cry, and I have a degree in Botany

Social source share

We get the top and the bottom butterflies here where I live in Teesdale

Here's a couple of wild plants, first one taken yesterday just in the next field it is Yellow Rattle Plant, they're a parasitic plant which feeds on grasses, they help the diversity of meadows, in other words with these plants around you can bet a field will be packed with different wildflowers. These plants have grown here as long as I can remember. The next one is Red Nettle just growing near our garden wall :)

Suz x

post-12536-0-78705500-1401828242_thumb.j

post-12536-0-70402600-1401828273_thumb.j

Social source share

We get the top and the bottom butterflies here where I live in Teesdale

Here's a couple of wild plants, first one taken yesterday just in the next field it is Yellow Rattle Plant, they're a parasitic plant which feeds on grasses, they help the diversity of meadows, in other words with these plants around you can bet a field will be packed with different wildflowers. These plants have grown here as long as I can remember. The next one is Red Nettle just growing near our garden wall :)

Suz x

You get Spanish Gatekeeper butterflies in Teesdale?  Probably from the Armada if you do.  Yellow rattle is here too, though red nettle not

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Do you get blue Spring Gentians growing there Tattoo Dave?

Suz x

Hi again Suz, never seen it here, but supposedly grows on Sierra Nevada in damp grassy places, there's a poster with an area full of them, it's a bit too warm here, it grows also in the Pyrenees and the Massif Central.

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Company I work for has just moved into new warehouse and we've got a robin nesting in one of the book bays.  Haven't managed to photograph her yet, but we found a nest that she made and abandoned a few bays over -- check out how cute and weeny this little egg is!!!

post-1448-0-64593400-1402063430_thumb.jp

Social source share

Hello Suz, it's a different one, Gatekeeper is Pyronia tithonus, Spanish Gatekeeper is Pyronia bathseba.Dave

Sorry it looks the same as the ones we have down the woods, my mistake. The other one is a common blue though isn't it? I know more about wildflowers than butterflies

Suz x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

They are similar but the Spanish has a cream band on the underwing, an easily overlooked detail, I had to look in a reference book. 

Sorry it looks the same as the ones we have down the woods, my mistake. The other one is a common blue though isn't it? I know more about wildflowers than butterflies

Suz x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

martyn pitt, on 06 Jun 2014 - 4:03 PM, said:

Managed to catch a glimpse of a Reed Warbler sitting on eggs.

What always amazes me is the nest, they weave them around 3 reed stems just using their beaks.

attachicon.gif410_001.jpg

Yep, using spiders webs Martyn - so the nest can move and be flexible.

Amazing picture Sir.

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Aka French partridges - if I recall my Observer Book of Birds correctly.

Really nice shots  :thumbsup:

And why they call them French Partridges is because they always ran, this goes back to when we was at war with the French. Edited by good angel
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

And why they call them French Partridges is because they always ran, this goes back to when we was at war with the French.

Most sources I've come across suggest that it's because they have red legs - and so share a similarity with the trousers worn by French soldiers in times past. And they originated from the warmer climes of France and Italy, too.

Nice concise overview of their introduction into the UK here...

http://www.purdey.com/shooting-life/a-guide-to-game-birds/red-legged-partridge/

Social source share

This fine creature, a Green Darner I believe, and a good 2½ inches long, paid a visit to our 2nd floor balcony early evening and rested on the railings for a good while.

I think Dragonflies are great, not sure I would have wished to encounter their prehistoric ancestors with their 3 foot wingspan 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think Dragonflies are great, not sure I would have wished to encounter their prehistoric ancestors with their 3 foot wingspan 

A scary thought. The one in the pic looked a real monster excepting for the reality of its actual size. The pic was taken flat to the subject, so doesn't really show just how amazingly thick set and armour plated it looked. 

Give it a three-foot wingspan and you'd need to be out there defending yourself with something that was mightily powerful - and lightning fast!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Woo loving all the photos they're fabulous. My photos are Birds Foot Trefoil; Lesser Yellow Trefoil; Yellow Rattle plant getting ready for the pods to disperse seeds; Whitlow Grass I think although am open to being corrected, tiny white flowers with four petals smaller than stitchwort;

post-12536-0-62191200-1402779598_thumb.j

post-12536-0-87623100-1402779715_thumb.j

post-12536-0-05186400-1402779864_thumb.j

post-12536-0-88752800-1402779887_thumb.j

post-12536-0-38476000-1402779902_thumb.j

post-12536-0-11405100-1402780311_thumb.j

Edited by suzannek
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Welcome back Steve, hope you got some good Puffin shots.

Dave

Thanks Dave. Got a few, none with sandeels in beaks though, for some reason the puffins are approximately two weeks behind this season. So they're still sat on eggs. Got a few plant and orchids pictures (not very clear, windy on headlines) and they will need identification along with a few moths, butterflies and a spider

Steve

Social source share

Thanks Dave. Got a few, none with sandeels in beaks though, for some reason the puffins are approximately two weeks behind this season. So they're still sat on eggs. Got a few plant and orchids pictures (not very clear, windy on headlines) and they will need identification along with a few moths, butterflies and a spider

Steve

I'll lend a hand if need be with the orchids

Dave

• Helpful 1
Social source share