Show Us Your Bird & Wildlife Photos

Amsterdam Russ

Weekly visit to Leighton Moss. Seen my first swallows of the year. :thumbup:  And a solitary house martin. Heard my first ever ceti,s warbler,what a song couldn't believe how loud it was. Got some good peregrine and marsh harrier picture's , will post later. Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

filmed this a month ago (below MP4), had a lovely time taking images of our first Butterfly of the season, then it landed on the carpet and the cat jumped on it...!!

couple of other critters in there, and a very nice bloom..

Malcolm

IMG_0973.mov

post-2025-0-40092700-1397000311_thumb.jp

post-2025-0-02997500-1397000324_thumb.jp

post-2025-0-01763200-1397000333_thumb.jp

Edited by Mal C
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

More of the same, nice bloom, may Bug, and the Lambs are out!!

Malcolm

late editions, my mother-in-laws dog, looks like those little chaps of 'Return of the Jedi'

Peacock feels free to roam, and a landscape from the Avebury Stones in Wiltshire.. entitled' Black Man's Bluff'

Some very old roots in there and a shrimp from Brighton sea Life Center..

post-2025-0-51852000-1397053837_thumb.jp

post-2025-0-02659900-1397053854_thumb.jp

post-2025-0-48705900-1397053868_thumb.jp

post-2025-0-66760200-1397055749_thumb.jp

post-2025-0-61722800-1397055785_thumb.jp

post-2025-0-67371600-1397055822_thumb.jp

post-2025-0-20694700-1397055880_thumb.jp

post-2025-0-09898700-1397055948_thumb.jp

Edited by Mal C
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest SleepingVillage

Excellent pics, everyone! Here in southern BC, Canada, spring has fully sprung. The trees are now in full bud and the orchards are just starting to bloom. I need to take some pictures. Even had a Robin singing away this morning for the first time:-) 

Social source share

Excellent pics, everyone! Here in southern BC, Canada, spring has fully sprung. The trees are now in full bud and the orchards are just starting to bloom. I need to take some pictures. Even had a Robin singing away this morning for the first time:-) 

Be nice to get some Canadian wildlife picture's posted, you have set yourself up now for getting out with a camera. Look forward to seeing the results. Steve

Social source share

Guest SleepingVillage

Be nice to get some Canadian wildlife picture's posted, you have set yourself up now for getting out with a camera. Look forward to seeing the results. Steve

Sounds like a plan, Steve. Luckily my girl is photo-happy, so I'll see what we (more like she) can come up with, hah!  She may have some good ones already in a folder on the computer, too.  :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest SleepingVillage

I managed to round up a few older pics. These were taken in Alberta and BC over the last few years.  More to come if we happen to see some more critters in our travels:-)

post-32801-0-63203400-1397093697_thumb.j

post-32801-0-72067100-1397093703_thumb.j

post-32801-0-27552500-1397093707_thumb.j

post-32801-0-09425900-1397093711_thumb.j

post-32801-0-84312000-1397093714_thumb.j

post-32801-0-17700100-1397093718_thumb.j

post-32801-0-39235400-1397093722_thumb.j

Social source share

attachicon.gifIMG_7196.JPG

This mallard duckling was lost and piping for its parents, hope it made it

attachicon.gifIMG_7236.JPG

Greylag goose chick just managed to get picture without parents.

attachicon.gifIMG_7181.JPG

Greylag goose and gosling's, different family and a lot smaller than the single picture above.

Will post more later

Steve

Don't know where the pictures have gone. will repost

Steve

Social source share

Guest eulalie

This must now count as a Wildlife photo, the amazing Voyager 1. Launched in 1977 and still going strong, is now some 19 billion kilometres from Earth and entered interstellar space, the 1st man-made object to ever do so, now that's wild !  :thumbsup:

attachicon.gifVoyager1.jpg

I think that's pretty wild and mind blowing too!  I take it you also know about the Golden Records that were sent out with the probes containing representations of music from Earth.  The most touching story is that of Blind Willie Johnson. He was reportedly blinded as a child when his stepmother threw lye in his face. He died penniless and alone sleeping in the ruins of his burned down house from malaria, after being refused medical treatment for being black. One of his blues recordings Dark Was The Night was chosen to go on the record, long after his death, to represent humanity's expression of loneliness and as you say is floating up there 19 billion km from Earth.  

Wonder if any of those 2 known copies will ever show up on Manships someday?  :D 

Sorry for the thread hijack. Some great photos on here btw.

Edited by eulalie
Social source share

attachicon.gifIMG_7082.JPG

Watch the birdies, watching you. Dogging natural history style

Steve

attachicon.gifIMG_7082.JPG

Watch the birdies, watching you. Dogging natural history style

Steve

Just been informed by the RSPB that they have used my picture of the black headed gulls mating on there Leighton Moss web page ( recent sightings ) I,m so chuffed

Steve

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Had a nice day out on the Wirral at Burton mere RSPB reserve. Managed a few pictures. Will post later. Blackcap, male & female reed buntings, baby Coots, Bluebells and a very special  bird. A little Teal. It's a South American bird that has probably escaped from a private collection.

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

As this brilliant thread runs over 10 pages because of everyone's great pics, I'm not sure if I've posted these already, but here goes...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Peacock close-up

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Starling - summer plummage

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Geese flying past (really fast)!

Russell. I can't remember you posting them before. .trying to photograph any birds flying is difficult.  Like the peacock picture. Will have to find the only decent one that I have taken, it was at bodnant gardens up in Snowdonia .

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Russell. I can't remember you posting them before. .trying to photograph any birds flying is difficult.  Like the peacock picture. Will have to find the only decent one that I have taken, it was at bodnant gardens up in Snowdonia .

Steve

Cheers, Steve. The shot of the geese flying past is one of my faves as it has that great sense of blurred motion about it. It was taken one evening in the late autumn, in the Amsterdamse Bos ( the Amsterdam woods), in an area once under water that was drained and reclaimed about 100 years ago by the Dutch. They call it a Polder. It's marshland by any other name.

It's a feeding ground for 100s of geese and I was there that evening trying to get some dusky flying shots. As it turned out, the conditions were too dull all round for anything taken without a tripod.

But, just before it got too dark, I heard a low whistling of goose wings in rapid flight. I could tell that they were close, but couldn't pinpoint them exactly. Realising then that they were flying super fast behind the trees directly in front of me, I panned the camera as quickly as I could across the trees in the split second available in the hope of catching the birds as they emerged from the other side. I got off just one shot - the one here. 

While I'm sure the result doesn't convay it, it was one of the most exciting and stirring photographic moments I've ever had. Now if only I was skilled enough to do such things at will!  :D

Edited by Russell Gilbert
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Cheers, Steve. The shot of the geese flying past is one of my faves as it has that great sense of blurred motion about it. It was taken one evening in the late autumn, in the Amsterdamse Bos ( the Amsterdam woods), in an area once under water that was drained and reclaimed about 100 years ago by the Dutch. They call it a Polder. It's marshland by any other name.

It's a feeding ground for 100s of geese and I was there that evening trying to get some dusky flying shots. As it turned out, the conditions were too dull all round for anything taken without a tripod.

But, just before it got too dark, I heard a low whistling of goose wings in rapid flight. I could tell that they were close, but couldn't pinpoint them exactly. Realising then that they were flying super fast behind the trees directly in front of me, I panned the camera as quickly as I could across the trees in the split second available in the hope of catching the birds as they emerged from the other side. I got off just one shot - the one here. 

While I'm sure the result doesn't convay it, it was one of the most exciting and stirring photographic moments I've ever had. Now if only I was skilled enough to do such things at will!  :D

Russell. I'm just starting to practice panning shots. I've been advised to practice on car's as they travel past. Hope that little bit of advice helps you. We will have to post up our results to see how we're getting on.

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Russell Gilbert, on 22 Apr 2014 - 9:43 PM, said:Russell Gilbert, on 22 Apr 2014 - 9:43 PM, said:

As this brilliant thread runs over 10 pages because of everyone's great pics, I'm not sure if I've posted these already, but here goes...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Peacock close-up

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Starling - summer plummage

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Geese flying past (really fast)!

Not seen them before Russell.

Great stuff.

I'd really like a day out with some of the posters on this thread. I really do need to sort my mentalist stuff out!

Edit - Starlings maybe quite common - but what a handsome bird they are. I am blessed with the numbers that feed in my garden.

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Not seen them before Russell.

Great stuff.

I'd really like a day out with some of the posters on this thread. I really do need to sort my mentalist stuff out!

Edit - Starlings maybe quite common - but what a handsome bird they are. I am blessed with the numbers that feed in my garden.

Peter. What's stopping us organising something. As you say there's plenty of people posting on this thread. I'm only two hour's from you. 

Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Russell. I'm just starting to practice panning shots. I've been advised to practice on car's as they travel past. Hope that little bit of advice helps you. We will have to post up our results to see how we're getting on.

Steve

Not sure, but are you working on the basis that motion shots have to be crisp and clear? If so, that's not the case. The point is to show motion/action/speed relative to the subject matter. I've caught loads of birds in flight that are motionlessly/frozen 'mid-flight'. It's trying to portray the scene as you observed it - the speed, sense of movement and action - that's the challenge.

Apologies if I've misunderstood you!

Social source share

Not sure, but are you working on the basis that motion shots have to be crisp and clear? If so, that's not the case. The point is to show motion/action/speed relative to the subject matter. I've caught loads of birds in flight that are motionlessly/frozen 'mid-flight'. It's trying to portray the scene as you observed it - the speed, sense of movement and action - that's the challenge.

Apologies if I've misunderstood you!

Russell. I've no experience of panning . I know what your saying and I'm with you but I've been led to believe that part of the picture needs to be sharp . normally the eye is the focus point.and the rest can then portray the movement, speed ,action etc etc and that's the difficulty or so I'm lead to understand

Steve

Social source share

Russell. I've no experience of panning . I know what your saying and I'm with you but I've been led to believe that part of the picture needs to be sharp . normally the eye is the focus point.and the rest can then portray the movement, speed ,action etc etc and that's the difficulty or so I'm lead to understand

Steve

Yes and no! Text books mainly preach that there should be a focus point; it makes for a good nature photo.

Professional photographers also teach that the image as a whole should tell a story. In my case (as I perceive it) the image captures the idea of how fast birds fly past us human observers; how we sometimes just catch fleeting glimpses of shapes and sounds, and how, although they blur across our vision, we can still fill in what we don't see with our imagination and know it's still a specific tyrpe of bird.

• Helpful 1
Social source share