Show Us Your Bird & Wildlife Photos

Amsterdam Russ

No picture but I can report a Sparrowhawk at Taylor Towers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Idly looking out of the window I thought to myself 'why is there a chicken on my fence', on careful closer inspection I realised it was in fact a Sparrowhawk; ( no glasses and no observation skills but it was reddy/brown with powerful legs hence the confusion with a chicken :shhh: )I was so excited (and still am :yes: ). I remember when Pete99 reported one. We have literally dozens of sparrows in our garden - well maybe one or two less now  :(  - despite them apparently being in decline! 

As for the 'Common' birds, less is more as they say :) :)

Melly CommonBird from Banbury :lol:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGH6b7n08LclLoflFwEvEQwaQuJZNl5zYCuAdQYxqY6A_JPckIug

Mellytee. I love sparrowhawks, they have that yellow eye that looks so evil. I need to get some decent photographs of them. Steve

Social source share

mellytee, on 20 Mar 2014 - 10:28 PM, said:

No picture but I can report a Sparrowhawk at Taylor Towers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Idly looking out of the window I thought to myself 'why is there a chicken on my fence', on careful closer inspection I realised it was in fact a Sparrowhawk; ( no glasses and no observation skills but it was reddy/brown with powerful legs hence the confusion with a chicken :shhh: )I was so excited (and still am :yes: ). I remember when Pete99 reported one. We have literally dozens of sparrows in our garden - well maybe one or two less now  :(  - despite them apparently being in decline! 

As for the 'Common' birds, less is more as they say :) :)

Melly CommonBird from Banbury :lol:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGH6b7n08LclLoflFwEvEQwaQuJZNl5zYCuAdQYxqY6A_JPckIug

Hiya Melly

Hope yer well.

Sparrow Hawks are a top, top predator. Having one or a breeding pair around is a sign of a healthy bird population generally. They are nice to see like all birds but I sometimes have mixed feelings when they pick off my very tame collared doves which I have nurtured through the winter.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Black headed gull in breeding plumage

Sorry about the slightly dark pictures

Steve

Steve

There was an old adage when I started photography to help with exposure issues ... "add light to white" ... if you are photographing a white subject adjust the exposure compensation by +1 to +2 stops. (The opposite for a black subject)

The camera meter always assumes that it is looking at 18% grey, this is why the majority of peoples shots taken in the snow look grey, the white has fooled the meter so the image is underexposed.

Usually +1 will be enough, just take a test shot and check the image on the screen.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Steve

There was an old adage when I started photography to help with exposure issues ... "add light to white" ... if you are photographing a white subject adjust the exposure compensation by +1 to +2 stops. (The opposite for a black subject)

The camera meter always assumes that it is looking at 18% grey, this is why the majority of peoples shots taken in the snow look grey, the white has fooled the meter so the image is underexposed.

Usually +1 will be enough, just take a test shot and check the image on the screen.

Thanks Martyn. Always forget. I just get to excited and want to take the picture. Steve

Social source share

I'm definitely going to look at getting a half decent camera and getting out and about along the canal and river this year.

This thread is very inspirational - thanks everyone.

Peter

Peter. It's a whole new world just waiting for you mate. It's a special world that we live in, it's just a shame that more people don't realize exactly what's around them. a camera certainly opened my eyes to the more intricate ways of nature. And that's from someone who has fished and loved the great outdoors since I was about 5 years of age. Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I saw a yellowhammer whilst out walking the dogs early this morning - first one I`ve seen for absolutely YEARS.  Well chuffed!

I remember you commenting when I posted the pictures of them last year. Am chuffed for you..Can't wait for my holidays. 8 weeks to go. Always see loads of them down in Pembrokeshire. Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I remember you commenting when I posted the pictures of them last year. Am chuffed for you..Can't wait for my holidays. 8 weeks to go. Always see loads of them down in Pembrokeshire. Steve

Blimey Steve, Well remembered!  I struggle to remember what I had for breakfast...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Peter. Many years ago when I was fishing a local lake I had three young stoats (kits I think ) playing about two feet away from me. It was and still is one of those moments that will live with me forever. Steve

The difference between a stoat and a weasel?

Weasels are weasily recognisable and stoats are stotally different!  :yes:  :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Russell. That's weasily the worst stoat joke ever.  :D Steve

I am sorry - to a degree. It's one of my girlfriend's all-time favourite punning punchlines and so I'm conditioned to use it whenever the opportunity may arise.

I'll tell Bev that I used it here and she'll be mightily impressed that I somehow snuck it in.

Thanks then for feeding me the opportunity to do so  :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Here is an image showing why Tawny Owls are so tricky to find

attachicon.gif401_033.jpg

A crop of that shot

attachicon.gif401_033c.jpg

Nice one Martyn. Last year when I was out for a walk in the local park just before dusk I heard a few small birds scolding ,what I didn't know. Then I seen a tawny owl appearing out of a hollow in a oak tree. Just the classic poster shot but no camera. I've been back many times with the camera just in case but I've never seen the tawny owl near that tree. Steve

Social source share

I am sorry - to a degree. It's one of my girlfriend's all-time favourite punning punchlines and so I'm conditioned to use it whenever the opportunity may arise.

I'll tell Bev that I used it here and she'll be mightily impressed that I somehow snuck it in.

Thanks then for feeding me the opportunity to do so  :thumbup:

Russell. If it gets you brownie points with Bev that's cool mate. Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I also happened upon a couple of Red Legged Partridge, the one posed nicely for me

attachicon.gif401_019.jpg

attachicon.gif401_026.jpg

attachicon.gif401_030.jpg

Martyn. Another set of good pictures. Not that I expect anything less from you.  :thumbup: can't remember the last time that I seen any common partridge. Me thinks they not so common anymore. Steve.  You at keele Sat ? 

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share