Show Us Your Bird & Wildlife Photos

Amsterdam Russ

I do like autumnal colours in photos. Here's a couple of pics I took during a dining table-top still life photo session...

Dutch hazel nuts

attachicon.gifColours of Autumn Dutch Hazel Nuts.jpg

Ripe, autumnal pears

attachicon.gifColours of Autumn Ripe Pears.jpg

Russell. Nice pictures my friend but how did you resist the temptation of just eating them before you photographed them.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Russell. Nice pictures my friend but how did you resist the temptation of just eating them before you photographed them.

Steve

Ha! Notice that there are only two and a half pears in the photo - and we picked considerably more nuts than you see in the photo.  :D

Beautiful lighting.

Thanks a lot. The set up was done using a very basic softbox kit, side lighting (two small domestic spot lights), macro extension tubes, the camera on a tripod, and a dinner table! The backdrop to the pears photo is a wooden chopping board along with a checked tablecloth out of a picnic set. For the hazel nuts pic I used a different tablecloth. 

The background to the faded autumnal flowers photo I posted recently is a beigey-brown hand towel.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

A blurry photo of antelope taken by a 'known' wildlife photographer has been accoladed as "best European wildlife photograph" 2014.

With my excuses to the photographer, I've upload the pic here so you can see it. The photographer reckons he knew it was special the moment he reviewed it on the back of the camera's screen.

What's your opinion - is it a truly fantastic photo worthy of being described the best wildlife photo in Europe this year - or is it just a blurry image?

post-9478-0-86064200-1414272048_thumb.jp

Source story: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bristol-29770415

Edited by Russell Gilbert
Social source share

A blurry photo of antelope taken by a 'known' wildlife photographer has been accoladed as "best European wildlife photograph" 2014.

With my excuses to the photographer, I've upload the pic here so you can see it. The photographer reckons he knew it was special the moment he reviewed it on the back of the camera's screen.

What's your opinion - is it a truly fantastic photo worthy of being described the best wildlife photo in Europe this year - or is it just a blurry image?

attachicon.gifblurryantelope.jpg

Russell. I'm not sure. It is such a emotive topic in the two photography magazines that I get monthly. One side says anyone can move taking a picture and most people normally do, that's why there's so many blurred pictures. But to produce something like that is it luck or skill. My self I'm not sure. I may still have a photograph that I took in a wood to get a similar effect with the tree's distinctive but blurred.

Steve

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

Russell. I'm not sure. It is such a emotive topic in the two photography magazines that I get monthly. One side says anyone can move taking a picture and most people normally do, that's why there's so many blurred pictures. But to produce something like that is it luck or skill. My self I'm not sure. I may still have a photograph that I took in a wood to get a similar effect with the tree's distinctive but blurred.

Steve

Steve

I take it you didn't read the BBC story, Steve. The picture came about when the photographer got out of his vehicle, stepped into a hole in the road and pressed the camera shutter by mistake.

Luck or skill - I think that's utlimately irrelevant. It's either a good pic or it's not. I don't know about you, but I've collected quite a few blurry shots over the years and I don't think any of them are up for an award just yet.  :D

Social source share

I take it you didn't read the BBC story, Steve. The picture came about when the photographer got out of his vehicle, stepped into a hole in the road and pressed the camera shutter by mistake.

Luck or skill - I think that's utlimately irrelevant. It's either a good pic or it's not. I don't know about you, but I've collected quite a few blurry shots over the years and I don't think any of them are up for an award just yet.  :D

Sorry Russell. I missed it just read through it now. I.m sitting on the fence on this. To me there's a better photograph in today's daily mail supplement that shows a water vole sticking it's head out of a drain pipe seeming to look at its own reflection. It's stunning in my opinion

Steve

Social source share

Sorry Russell. I missed it just read through it now. I.m sitting on the fence on this. To me there's a better photograph in today's daily mail supplement that shows a water vole sticking it's head out of a drain pipe seeming to look at its own reflection. It's stunning in my opinion

Steve

And that's sitting on the fence?  :D

You got an online link to the vole pic by any chance?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I think I got it...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2804839/You-naturals-Earlier-year-launched-amateur-wildlife-photography-contest-received-10-000-stunning-entries-announce-winners.html

If so - wow - what amazing pics! Second thought though is to wonder why the story of these pics is filed under the Daily Mail's 'female' section!

Social source share

I think I got it...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2804839/You-naturals-Earlier-year-launched-amateur-wildlife-photography-contest-received-10-000-stunning-entries-announce-winners.html

If so - wow - what amazing pics! Second thought though is to wonder why the story of these pics is filed under the Daily Mail's 'female' section!

That's the one Russell. Amazing pictures indeed. Must be a slightly different version online regarding where the picture's are shown compared to the paper edition.

Steve

Social source share

attachicon.gifblurryantelope.jpg

Looks like a primitive cave painting done by a Neanderthal, arty types talk a load of BO**OCKS.

Social source share

Yes, I thought it looked a bit like early cave art as well. In spite of that it's still just a blurred photo to me.

I once took a picture of some crocus with a filter on the lens and called it Soft Focus Crocus, twice as good as that in my opinion, and it came out as I wanted, not a fluke foot in a hole and press the shutter mistake. Photographers that make money out of it are as bad as actors and professional footballers, too many people fawning over them. If the picture was entered into competition it would be laughed at by 99% of people
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I once took a picture of some crocus with a filter on the lens and called it Soft Focus Crocus, twice as good as that in my opinion, and it came out as I wanted, not a fluke foot in a hole and press the shutter mistake. Photographers that make money out of it are as bad as actors and professional footballers, too many people fawning over them. If the picture was entered into competition it would be laughed at by 99% of people

In light of the 'blurry antelope' photo being accoladed with 'best photo', I've rethought the merits and artistic value of my own photographic mishaps. I see them now not as the product of shoddy camera work on my part, nor can I think of the untimely pressing of the shutter's button as some accident. Instead of mistakes, I see creative genius at work.

In fact, given the number of blurry pictures I've taken over the years, I can only conclude that I'm an as yet unrecognised giant of the photographic world whose work should stand as an inspiration to millions.

As proof of my ability to compete at the highest level — and with the fantastic 'blurry antelope' masterwork in my sights — I give you my very own 'blurry daisy'.

Ta-da…..

post-9478-0-70288800-1414323960_thumb.jp

:thumbup:  :hatsoff2:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Saw a bittern(flying) whilst afloat yesterday and the noise from the pinkfoot after dark was incredible.

Also on list,Marsh harriers,heron,cranes(fantastic and common in Thurne valley),grebes and flocks of what i thought were snow bunting

• Helpful 2
Social source share

In light of the 'blurry antelope' photo being accoladed with 'best photo', I've rethought the merits and artistic value of my own photographic mishaps. I see them now not as the product of shoddy camera work on my part, nor can I think of the untimely pressing of the shutter's button as some accident. Instead of mistakes, I see creative genius at work.

In fact, given the number of blurry pictures I've taken over the years, I can only conclude that I'm an as yet unrecognised giant of the photographic world whose work should stand as an inspiration to millions.

As proof of my ability to compete at the highest level — and with the fantastic 'blurry antelope' masterwork in my sights — I give you my very own 'blurry daisy'.

Ta-da…..

attachicon.gifBlurryDaisy-2007.jpg

:thumbup:  :hatsoff2:

Thought it was a Fried Egg Russel  :lol:  :thumbsup:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I have a bungalow right opposite my house.

Yesterday, I was watching a Magpie, he was more than interested in of the roof overhang beneath the guttering, landed on a fence right near, looking up into this guttering, made four attempts to get up there, eventually managed to perch on a sideways downpipe, stuck his head right into the guttering for ages.

Dawned on me that he was looking for chicks or maybe eggs to eat from another nest, even though it's wrong time of year, maybe the mild weather, don't know.

Can any birdwatchers on here confirm if I'm right?

Is this common practice with Magpies?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yesterday, I was watching a Magpie, he was more than interested in of the roof overhang beneath the guttering, landed on a fence right near, looking up into this guttering, made four attempts to get up there, eventually managed to perch on a sideways downpipe, stuck his head right into the guttering for ages.

Dawned on me that he was looking for chicks or maybe eggs to eat from another nest, even though it's wrong time of year, maybe the mild weather, don't know.

Yes your right,a pair will soon strip a hedgerow of all its nests. Edited by good angel
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Ade. Firstly you must be lost down here in this thread. You turned left at all about the soul instead of right. The magpies will be looking for spider's, that's the normal thing they're doing when you see them doing that. No chicks this time of year. Not normally.

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A Lesser Black Back gull having a go at a juvenile female Peregrine

Known in the Netherlands as a Slechtvalk, with "valk" meaning falcon and "slecht" meaning bad, evil, malign, wicked...

Pigeon fancying is very popular over here. At least it is in our small corner of the country. So it's easy to imagine that the damage peregrines might cause to a flock of treasured birds gave rise to their name.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

attachicon.gifIMG_0211.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0252.JPG

Managed to photograph two out of the three Mistle thrushes that where eating the berries on my rowan tree in the back garden.

These must be one of the most wary birds that drop in to the garden the slightest thing and they fly off

Steve

A few years ago I was watching one stuffing itself with sloe berries, it got one stuck in it's throat, thought it was going to choke on it for a moment, until it finally forced it down.

I never thought of them as being wary, probably just scared of dodgy northerners  :D

Edited by martyn pitt
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

We got a Smew drop in, the regular birders reckoned there had not been many reported in the UK as yet, and this was probably the earliest we had had one at the reservoir.

Trouble is they are easily spooked ... even by good looking Gloucestershire lads, so I only managed a quick backlit shot as it flew off to the middle of the reservoir.

This was basically ground the tripod and camera and get one shot

attachicon.gif429_074.jpg

Martyn. Who where the good looking Gloucester lads that don't scare birds. Thought you lot where used to be put out in fields to protect the crops.

Nice picture by the way. Female I'm guessing with the brown on its head.

The male in winter plumage is a stunning bird. Think you might be just on its range limit in your neck of the woods mate, don't normally end up this far west.

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share