Show Us Your Bird & Wildlife Photos

Amsterdam Russ

Peter, Collins Gem do a good series of ID books for Birds about the size of a fag packet, not as in depth as some others but is certainly pocket size, they also do others in the series for Butterflies, Trees and Insects, they are around £5 I think

Used to carry mine around every where Martyn. Fag packet that is when I smoked :P

Steve

Social source share

Thanks Martyn. wasn't sure which one it was. So hard to tell them apart. 

Steve

On the Marsh Tit the spot on the upper mandible is definitive, (they also have a pale line runs up the edge of the greater coverts), the Marsh Tit always looks a neater bird, the Willow tends to look scruffy.

Social source share

Nice stuff Steve .

I like to think I know a bit about birds but there are loads of species I struggle with/get mixed up with. I have a fairly hefty reference book which I can use at home but isn't very practical to carry around outside. Do you use a reference book at all?

Peter

I've quite a number of books which I mainly collected when I was an enthusiastic kid and eager member of the Young Ornithologists Club. That must have been late 70s, I suppose.

The one I use as a field guide is The Hamlyn Guide to Birds of Britain and Europe (author Bertel Bruun, published 1975). No idea if that's still available today. Because it covers Europe as well it's handy to take it on holiday - very useful when encountering all those unfamiliar species. 

Had a quick look on Amazon and this book is still being published with the most recent edition being June of last year. Here's a link to it if anyone's interested:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0753725274

Edited by Russell Gilbert
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

post-2516-0-34748200-1394805184_thumb.jp

Avocet at Leighton moss. These pictures where taken from approximately 400 yds away and cropped to show the  bird and a bit of the lagoon . just wish these beautiful birds would have  been a lot closer to get a decent close up

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Just a quick selection of snaps from our last visit to Orkney, inc one of me to show how close we were. Hundreds of puffins living on the cliff face.

attachicon.gifRIMG0144.JPG attachicon.gifDSC01250.JPG attachicon.gifDSC01239.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC01254.JPG  attachicon.gifRIMG0149.JPG attachicon.gifRIMG0113.JPG

attachicon.gifRIMG0125.JPG  attachicon.gifRIMG0146.JPG attachicon.gifDSC01258.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC01219.JPG

Spook .love  the  pictures.

I,m hoping to realise one of my ambitions to photograph puffins later this year when I visit Skomer..

Steve

Social source share

Had a days fishing on the River swale in Yorkshire on Wednesday. Was a joy to be on the riverbank, after all the floods over the winter. Always plenty of wildlife. I arrived at 6am just as it was getting light, there was a heavy mist shrouding the river and the surrounding fields. As I walked the river, I put up two deer in the field to me right, which in turn startled a couple of Hares, there were pheasants all over the place, also a few grey partridges, which were nice to see as there in serious decline. Once on the river bank I was treated to the Dawn chorus. Gangs of long tailed tits flitted from willow to willow, a shrill peeeeep!! made my ears prick up. and with a flash of electric blue, the best angler on the river flew past and settled in a small bush upstream. Directly opposite at the top of an old oak I could just about see a large bird on the trunk of the tree, as I looked through my binoculars, I could see it was a green woodpecker. It really is a wonder I get any fishing done, watching all these wonderful creatures on the river. As for the fishing? I really didn`t care, its, as always more a case of just being there. !!!

Harry . You make it sound as good as it is :hatsoff2: . River season over for you now mate. you can always go puddle chucking :lol: steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Spook .love  the  pictures.

I,m hoping to realise one of my ambitions to photograph puffins later this year when I visit Skomer..

Steve

Hi Steve,

Puffins are very  friendly its the "Gilly Mots" that dive bomb you along with the seagulls :-) The main problem is the Puffins only nest on that particular area on Orkney for 5 or 6 weeks of the year and they are off again until next year, so if you go to Skomer to photograph them  please check its the time of year they will be there .

Best David

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Steve,

Puffins are very  friendly its the "Gilly Mots" that dive bomb you along with the seagulls :-) The main problem is the Puffins only nest on that particular area on Orkney for 5 or 6 weeks of the year and they are off again until next year, so if you go to Skomer to photograph them  please check its the time of year they will be there .

Best David

Thanks David

. Have checked at Skomer,  they arrive in May and nest from June onwards. my trip is planned for sometime in the first two weeks of June so will hopefully be ok. the island is limited to three boat landing per day with a 250 limit on visitor numbers so as not to cause to much disturbance 

Best Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Nice one Steve

Pretty majestic aren't they.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Pete they are truly majestic birds, was lucky enough to hear the male calling the female and watch him deliver a small bird, which I think is visible in one of the pictures as she holds it in one of her talons

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

This must now count as a Wildlife photo, the amazing Voyager 1. Launched in 1977 and still going strong, is now some 19 billion kilometres from Earth and entered interstellar space, the 1st man-made object to ever do so, now that's wild !  :thumbsup:

attachicon.gifVoyager1.jpg

Chris. It was launched two years after my allnighter journey started. I have definitely had some wildlife encounters on my incredible journey and I've also met a few spacemen on the way.  Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Another day spent at Leighton Moss RSPB reserve. Seen peregrine falcon , male and female marsh harriers, little egret, goldcrest wrens x 2, and heard my first chiffchaff of the year. Always I sound I love to hear. Even had a robin feeding out of my hand. How lucky am I that a wild bird trusted me enough to land on my outstretched hand. Will get round to posting some pictures soon. Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Oi smiffy ... get a job  :D

Duck ....

The last one is quite scarce as far inland as Belvide,it's an American Long Tailed Duck,  it has been with us 120 days now ... be charging it rent soon

attachicon.gif398_007.jpg

attachicon.gif398_086.jpg

attachicon.gif398_046.jpg

Martyn. What do I want a job for ? :D I,m enjoying myself to much. may have six months off maybe more cant make my mind up :g:

Got a picture somewhere I,ve taken of a long tailed duck up at Leighton moss.

Steve

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

We havent had one Chaffinch visit our garden this year. Which is quite unusual. Anyone else missing some regular visitors?

Social source share

We havent had one Chaffinch visit our garden this year. Which is quite unusual. Anyone else missing some regular visitors?

No all ok in Manchester at the moment. blue, great, coal and long tailed tits. gold and green finches. dunnocks, house sparrows, starlings, jays, magpies, robins, song thrush, blackbirds, chiff chaff, collard doves, wood pigeons, occasional lesser spotted woodpecker, sparrow hawk.  hear tawny owls all around but we never get chaffinches for some reason

Steve

Social source share

Mike, the UK gets Chaffinch (amongst other common birds)  migrate from Scandinavia and Northern Europe to over winter here, as it was a relatively mild and gentle winter there, I expect the numbers were lower than when there is a severe winter.

You will also find our Chaffinch migrate south to France and Spain, so you may see a few returning over the next few weeks.

Edited by martyn pitt
Social source share

Mike, the UK gets Chaffinch (amongst other common birds)  migrate from Scandinavia and Northern Europe to over winter here, as it was a relatively mild and gentle winter there, I expect the numbers were lower than when there is a severe winter.

You will also find our Chaffinch migrate south to France and Spain, so you may see a few returning over the next few weeks.

From what I've seen, I think they're all in the woods of Amsterdam!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Help. I've become addicted to Leighton Moss. 2nd time this week. Got settled in one of the hides and less than ten yards in front of me was perhaps 7 or 8 a Avocets before a could get my camera sorted a peregrine scattered them. It took a while for them to return ,but they did ,infact 21 of them in total. Amazing. Got few pictures to post later.  Very happy Steve

Social source share

Help. I've become addicted to Leighton Moss. 2nd time this week. Got settled in one of the hides and less than ten yards in front of me was perhaps 7 or 8 a Avocets before a could get my camera sorted a peregrine scattered them. It took a while for them to return ,but they did ,infact 21 of them in total. Amazing. Got few pictures to post later.  Very happy Steve

Pictures downloaded and  ready for posting. To knackered at moment. Will upload them tomorrow (Friday)  Steve

Social source share

Guest mellytee

No picture but I can report a Sparrowhawk at Taylor Towers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Idly looking out of the window I thought to myself 'why is there a chicken on my fence', on careful closer inspection I realised it was in fact a Sparrowhawk; ( no glasses and no observation skills but it was reddy/brown with powerful legs hence the confusion with a chicken :shhh: )I was so excited (and still am :yes: ). I remember when Pete99 reported one. We have literally dozens of sparrows in our garden - well maybe one or two less now  :(  - despite them apparently being in decline! 

As for the 'Common' birds, less is more as they say :) :)

Melly CommonBird from Banbury :lol:

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTGH6b7n08LclLoflFwEvEQwaQuJZNl5zYCuAdQYxqY6A_JPckIug

Edited by mellytee
Social source share