Show Us Your Bird & Wildlife Photos

Amsterdam Russ

Went to Formby today to hopefully get some pictures of the famous red squirrels. Seen the first one before I had even got the camera set up. Then the next and only other one I seen was camera shy and sat as high in a pine tree as it could possibly get without it been seen by any passing bird of prey or me from underneath. All I got was a slight view of its tail between a couple of branches. Still it's a first for me as I don't remember seeing them before. Am well happy. Steve

Social source share

There's some of my wildlife photos on my FlickR account which can be seen here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tomhunt29/

I've recently sold my camera so I can upgrade. Just wasn't getting the quality I wanted. Was using a cannon EOS 350D. Don't no what to get next thought.

Tom 

Tom. I've just seen your Flickr pictures there's some amazing one's. Did you upgrade your camera ? I,m upgrading this year to the Canon eos 7 d mk 2 when it finally makes its appearance. Steve

Social source share

Guest TomCaponeHunt

Tom. I've just seen your Flickr pictures there's some amazing one's. Did you upgrade your camera ? I,m upgrading this year to the Canon eos 7 d mk 2 when it finally makes its appearance. Steve

Thanks, Steve. Appreciate it :)

Nah, I've still not upgraded yet. Been buying too many records haha. I'm hoping to be set back up before the summer. I've been looking at some cameras these last few weeks and got my eye on something.

Tom

Social source share

Went to Formby today to hopefully get some pictures of the famous red squirrels. Seen the first one before I had even got the camera set up. Then the next and only other one I seen was camera shy and sat as high in a pine tree as it could possibly get without it been seen by any passing bird of prey or me from underneath. All I got was a slight view of its tail between a couple of branches. Still it's a first for me as I don't remember seeing them before. Am well happy. Steve

Here's a picture I took of one in 2007 at Formby. 

I remember seeing loads the first time I went there in 1983 but their numbers have diminished since then.

post-10098-0-69024400-1392767989_thumb.j

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Here's a picture I took of one in 2007 at Formby. 

I remember seeing loads the first time I went there in 1983 but their numbers have diminished since then.

. The first red squirrel I seen yesterday was on the ground before rapidly climbing a tree , it was almost black in colour but I've heard that there's a high percentage there that are like that. Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

. The first red squirrel I seen yesterday was on the ground before rapidly climbing a tree , it was almost black in colour but I've heard that there's a high percentage there that are like that. Steve

I think they turn very dark during the Winter though I'm not 100% sure about that.

A few years ago I was staying near Stevenage in a hotel that backed on to some woodlands and actually saw a Black Squirrel. When I returned home I looked it up and discovered that they are a variation of the Grey Squirrel and are prevalent in East Anglia and parts of Hertfordshire.

Social source share

I think they turn very dark during the Winter though I'm not 100% sure about that.

A few years ago I was staying near Stevenage in a hotel that backed on to some woodlands and actually saw a Black Squirrel. When I returned home I looked it up and discovered that they are a variation of the Grey Squirrel and are prevalent in East Anglia and parts of Hertfordshire.

This was definitely a red. There's no Grey's as far as I'm aware anywhere near this isolated nationally important site. I don't think natural England or any others body would allow them within a few miles. Bet you thought it was unique, I know I would have done. I know you can get a black variant of the red Fox. Steve

Social source share

Formby is one of the, all too sadly, few remaining outposts of the Red so I wouldn't expect to see any Greys there at all.

When I saw the Black one in Stevenage I thought it was a cat at first (it was a long way away). Then it moved and it definitely moved like a squirrel. Unfortunately I was too far away to get a picture and I'm not even sure whether I had my camera with me.

Here's a link to a web site about it:

http://www.blacksquirrelproject.org

Social source share

Formby is one of the, all too sadly, few remaining outposts of the Red so I wouldn't expect to see any Greys there at all.

When I saw the Black one in Stevenage I thought it was a cat at first (it was a long way away). Then it moved and it definitely moved like a squirrel. Unfortunately I was too far away to get a picture and I'm not even sure whether I had my camera with me.

Here's a link to a web site about it:

http://www.blacksquirrelproject.org

Thanks mate.  Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gfarrington

thats where i work steve, see them most days,  in the bins usually, i'll try  & get some pictures on my phone, they are quick though, sometimes see them running round & round the trees

Social source share

Guest gfarrington

yes , but it wasnt approved, it was children with learning diss, way before my time , its now adults with learning diss, story  goes it was a family home , they had a diabled daughter so they donated the land to francis taylor foundation , they have places all over the world, our location just happens to be called st joesph's(not to be confused with st joe's down the road) which is a hospice. & can only take young adults 18+

Social source share

yes , but it wasnt approved, it was children with learning diss, way before my time , its now adults with learning diss, story  goes it was a family home , they had a diabled daughter so they donated the land to francis taylor foundation , they have places all over the world, our location just happens to be called st joesph's(not to be confused with st joe's down the road) which is a hospice. & can only take young adults 18+

Thanks Gary. you work in a very special place. :hatsoff2:

Steve

Social source share

Well I finally joined the RSPB today when I got to Leighton Moss reserve near Carnforth. Had a wish list of 4 birds to see. Marsh harriers, bitterns, bearded tits and the just arrived avocets. Guess what didn't see any of those or the otters and red deer that frequent the reserve. Had a close encounter with a coal tit, it sat about 3 ft from me at eye level , guess who had his 400 ml lens on his camera so couldn't get a picture, Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Winsford Soul, on 24 Feb 2014 - 7:39 PM, said:

Well I finally joined the RSPB today when I got to Leighton Moss reserve near Carnforth. Had a wish list of 4 birds to see. Marsh harriers, bitterns, bearded tits and the just arrived avocets. Guess what didn't see any of those or the otters and red deer that frequent the reserve. Had a close encounter with a coal tit, it sat about 3 ft from me at eye level , guess who had his 400 ml lens on his camera so couldn't get a picture, Steve

Ah well, early days yet Steve.

Spring will bring an explosion of renewal and new life - and plenty of photo opportunities. This might be the year that I begin a photography hobby - I have lots of places to go here in Notts, including having the Grantham canal at the side of my house.

All the best mate.

Peter

:hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Russell Gilbert, on 24 Feb 2014 - 9:07 PM, said:Russell Gilbert, on 24 Feb 2014 - 9:07 PM, said:

Some more pics from me. These were taken through a window at home last winter (not had a winter over here in the Netherlands this year, I'm delighted to say! Result  :thumbup: )

Blackbird

attachicon.gifBlackbird.jpg

Hedge Sparrow/Dunnock

attachicon.gifHedgeSparrow.jpg

Robin

attachicon.gifRobin.jpg

Lovely pictures Russell.

Our winter has been very mild too - the birds and other wildlife have been very lucky. I can't remember a winter where the birds have taken so little food from the feeders. They've had insects and fruit throughout the period which has meant that what I've been putting out has been a bonus for them

All the best.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Ah well, early days yet Steve.

Spring will bring an explosion of renewal and new life - and plenty of photo opportunities. This might be the year that I begin a photography hobby - I have lots of places to go here in Notts, including having the Grantham canal at the side of my house.

All the best mate.

Peter

:hatsoff2:

Peter Spring has arrived, seen my first lambs of the year today and in my post the Avocets have arrived back from wintering in Africa. Go on you know you want to buy a new camera. I've done loads of things in my life, some good some not so clever but buying a dslr camera was a good move, I can't believe that it's taken me so long to jump in to proper photography just wish I had done it years ago. Steve

Social source share

Some more pics from me. These were taken through a window at home last winter (not had a winter over here in the Netherlands this year, I'm delighted to say! Result  :thumbup: )

Blackbird

attachicon.gifBlackbird.jpg

Hedge Sparrow/Dunnock

attachicon.gifHedgeSparrow.jpg

Robin

attachicon.gifRobin.jpg

Russel. Like the pictures. Peter beat me to the point about the mild winter. The nature reserve that I've been today had me in shirt sleeves at one stage it was that warm in the sunshine. Steve

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Peter Spring has arrived, seen my first lambs of the year today and in my post the Avocets have arrived back from wintering in Africa. Go on you know you want to buy a new camera. I've done loads of things in my life, some good some not so clever but buying a dslr camera was a good move, I can't believe that it's taken me so long to jump in to proper photography just wish I had done it years ago. Steve

I'm not very good with gadgets Steve - and don't have a great deal of patience. I do fancy it though and I need a hobby and something to get me out of the house. I'll do a bit of research and see what I can come up with - I might even consider joining a local group or doing a night class.

Peter

Social source share

I'm not very good with gadgets Steve - and don't have a great deal of patience. I do fancy it though and I need a hobby and something to get me out of the house. I'll do a bit of research and see what I can come up with - I might even consider joining a local group or doing a night class.

Peter

Peter. You can have the camera on auto and just press the button , it will auto focus , set the shutter speed everything. Basically a point and shoot till you get the hang of things. I'm a complete dunce when it comes to technology and gadgets. But it so simple. Honestly Peter. If I can do it anyone can. Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Investing in a dslr is well worth it. Mine's a 2nd hand Nikon D80, which is pretty antiquated now if you believe all the techno-gadget hype. However, it'll do me for a while yet.

My first digital camera was a compact Canon that took 3mb photos - tiny by today's comparison - but it was enough to get me hooked, and I like to think that I took some cracking pics with that

If you do buy a camera, I absolutely recommend that you buy one of the unofficial manuals. They go by the name of the "Digital Field Guides" and tell you all the things that the manufacturers manual either tells you in terrible English or doesn't tell you at all.

I'd also recommend a practical 'how to' book or two so that you can start to get to grips with basic techniques. I particularly like a a guy called Bryan Peterson. His book "Bryan Peterson's Understanding Photography Field Guide" is a favourite. He also has loads of quick and easy photography tutorials on YouTube. he's well worth checking out.

Buy a dslr and you'll be in for hours of fun!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Peter

It is not that complicated, if Smiffy can use one anyone can  :D

A good simple to follow book, written in plain English is "Digital Exposure Handbook" by Ross Hoddinott ... LINK

There are a few of us on here that could help out if you hit a brick wall, the beauty of digital is that you can see instantly if you have got it right or wrong.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

post-2516-0-97481500-1393361538_thumb.jppost-2516-0-74495000-1393361615_thumb.jppost-2516-0-98625400-1393361683_thumb.jpAnother visit to leighton moss again today still no birds off the list . however got to see peregrine, little egret, curlew and snipe among others today. snipe are near impossible to see once they,re settled on the ground as you can see from the pictures 

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Winsford Soul, on 25 Feb 2014 - 8:56 PM, said:

attachicon.gifIMG_6073.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_6074.JPGpost-2516-0-98625400-1393361683_thumb.jpAnother visit to leighon moss again today still no birds off the list . however got to see peregrine, little egret, curlew and snipe among others today. snipe are near impossible to see once they,re settled on the ground as you can see from the pictures 

Steve

Nice stuff Steve .

I like to think I know a bit about birds but there are loads of species I struggle with/get mixed up with. I have a fairly hefty reference book which I can use at home but isn't very practical to carry around outside. Do you use a reference book at all?

Peter

Social source share

Nice stuff Steve .

I like to think I know a bit about birds but there are loads of species I struggle with/get mixed up with. I have a fairly hefty reference book which I can use at home but isn't very practical to carry around outside. Do you use a reference book at all?

Peter

Peter.  the birds that I know are from hours spent reading and researching them many years ago. I really struggle with ducks and a few sea birds because I,ve never spent much time watching them until very recently. I learn something new every time I go out and about. the book I use for reference is a pocket guide called the rspb birds of Britain and Europe.by rob hume it also comes with a cd with bird songs and calls it replaces one I have misplaced or lost somewhere. its a great book well worth £16.99

Steve

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Peter.  the birds that I know are from hours spent reading and researching them many years ago. I really struggle with ducks and a few sea birds because I,ve never spent much time watching them until very recently. I learn something new every time I go out and about. the book I use for reference is a pocket guide called the rspb birds of Britain and Europe.by rob hume it also comes with a cd with bird songs and calls it replaces one I have misplaced or lost somewhere. its a great book well worth £16.99

Steve

I'm pretty sure mines an RSPB publication - it's pretty hefty. I'll check it out later.

Peter

Social source share

Winsford Soul, on 25 Feb 2014 - 9:32 PM, said:

Peter. This is actually a pocket guide, a big pocket none the less it measures about 9 " x 4 1/2 "

Steve

Mine is the RSPB Wildlife of Britain - The Definitive Visual Guide and it's no pocket book! Bloody hell I've just had to wrestle the bugger from the other room. :) It's a cracking book but it's no pocket guide. I'll check out the one you have and see what else is around.

Peter

Social source share

Mine is the RSPB Wildlife of Britain - The Definitive Visual Guide and it's no pocket book! Bloody hell I've just had to wrestle the bugger from the other room. :) It's a cracking book but it's no pocket guide. I'll check out the one you have and see what else is around.

Peter

Peter. just noticed at the back of rspb where to discover nature handbook ( freebie when you join  ) there,s loads of books obviously rspb ones at shopping.rspb.org.uk. 

Steve

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks Steve

I'll check it out.

Hi Peter I have a " pocket guide" which is my bible and keep it handy all the time.This is a RSPB publication but covers trees, wild flowers, fungi & lichen,mammals,birds,reptiles & amphibians, fish and invertebrates.

It is printed by DK Publications.  IS BN 978-1-405-35657-2. 

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hi Peter I have a " pocket guide" which is my bible and keep it handy all the time.This is a RSPB publication but covers trees, wild flowers, fungi & lichen,mammals,birds,reptiles & amphibians, fish and invertebrates.

Dave. It's sounds like a interesting book to have around. Got a tree Identification book that I don't read . Should do really. Don't seem to get time but whilst I'm off work I should make the effort. Steve

Social source share

Thanks Dave

I'll check it out.

Peter

Social source share