Frederick Hymes 3Rd - Time Wont Do Me No Favours -Fab Vegas Repress

Stewart P

Ah, the site automatically capitalises the first letter of each word in the title bar - and since I cut and pasted the original posters info into the title - it's highlighted that he's used lower case "L" instead of upper case "i".

Had to put "3rd" because no matter how you enter it, using any combination of letters in the title, it will not come up as " III "

Social source share

Utter Crap - It was repressed  and Im angry with myself for not keeping a couple of emails that would have put the whole thing to bed- The bloody guy admitted it to me!

it wasnt pressed in the 70`s anyway..90`s pressing :yes: either way all copies are the same..no see thru copies and no really thick vinyl with deep orange label...until we see proof...no one has shown it yet i bet my copy looks the same as yours steve

Edited by dave pinch
Social source share

For those who haven't yet read the important stuff ,here's a reminder that Butch posted up last yr ..

I think that I found the first copies of this 45. I was in Pittsburgh in 1997 looking through a local djs records and along with a few other interesting 45s I bought the Frederick Hymes. A day or two later, I was in a local record shop, where I came across 4 more copies and assumed that the dj had got his copy from that same shop, as he was always junking locally for 45s. Back home, I gave it a few plays at the 100 club, where Keb Darge eventually noticed it and this led to him getting a copy from the small batch. We had it covered up for a year or two and it began to get a following. Eventually, Arthur Fenn got a copy from Henry and I assumed that he had found his copy in Pittsburgh because Henry liked to dig around that town. Once a few other influential djs got hold of the remaining copies it became a huge hit on the rare soul scene through early 2000. Then the copies from the dealer in Las Vegas turned up in greater quantities.

The copies that I found had an orange label. I've never personally seen a copy of the so-called second press, so I can't make a comment on that side of the discussion. But my point is, that the record was found as an unknown soul 45, played in clubs and became a monster sound. It was not discovered as an acetate or from a studio tape; that is just pure speculation from someone who wasn't in the original loop when it got it's first spins here in the UK. I hope that helps in someway to push along the investigation.

Remember Arthur playing it in Sydney in 2003, and we were all 'What the hell was that!!' its funny I'd not heard it at the 100 club, and I was a regular up until then..  eventually got mine from the Las Vegas chap when I was out there;  this second press, I have seen scans that look like a weaker disc, I mean in colour of the label etc...but who's to say they weren't from this same batch, just with off colour labels... it happens..

Mal.c

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

on youtube it shows yellow and orange labels of this and says the yellow ones are reissues

Must be right then :)

To be honest ,I once heard that there were copies that were thinner and if you held em up to the light you could see through them ...but I was also recently told there is no Santa Claus :(

• Helpful 1
Social source share

You can see the difference in colour on popsike:  https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=hymes+frederick&thumbs=&currsel=&sortord=ddate&x=0&y=0

And they all come from the same seller - I got one of these, and when it arrived it was the dark orange. I think it was just a duff scan which got used over and over for the auctions. And it looks like these ran out in 2007. Who knows, I suspect this won't be the last post on this record anyway...

Social source share

You can see the difference in colour on popsike: https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=hymes+frederick&thumbs=&currsel=&sortord=ddate&x=0&y=0

And they all come from the same seller - I got one of these, and when it arrived it was the dark orange. I think it was just a duff scan which got used over and over for the auctions. And it looks like these ran out in 2007. Who knows, I suspect this won't be the last post on this record anyway...

If its the guy from Vegas ,who keeps changing his username ,he does seem to have stock of a lot of records .

The interesting thing though ,is that he also sells stuff that is clearly new press of unissued material ,which begs the question ..which ones are real and which are actually originals ?

Social source share

You can see the difference in colour on popsike:  https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=hymes+frederick&thumbs=&currsel=&sortord=ddate&x=0&y=0

not saying that there aren't two presses (I don't know), but i'm pretty sure all the copies that appear in that popsike link are the same press with different lighting / scanning.

EDIT: I see Tommy already said that above.

Edited by boba
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

it wasnt pressed in the 70`s anyway..90`s pressing :yes: either way all copies are the same..no see thru copies and no really thick vinyl with deep orange label...until we see proof...no one has shown it yet i bet my copy looks the same as yours steve

I agree Dave,yet to see a copy not the same as all/everyone  so called repress.  :g: .  I know someone paid a lot of money for the so called `1st Press` copy. Could it be

trying to protect there investment by spreading mis information :shhh:

Social source share

he might be a known bootlegger but he's also one of the original people to source material from label owners and has had tons of quantity of originals

Yep, but when he's mixing this up with manufacturing his own counterfeits, some of which are pretty convincing, it's a good idea to approach with a little scepticism imo.

Social source share

Yep, but when he's mixing this up with manufacturing his own counterfeits, some of which are pretty convincing, it's a good idea to approach with a little scepticism imo.

sure, i'd be skeptical. but what is the specific point are you making? do you think he bootlegged originals that are really out there or that he pressed these and they are the original presses? If they are the originals, it really doesn't matter if he pressed them or not, they have an established value already and are gone. Also, he's not an expert at making convincing old labels either. like those "jo-val" things...

edit: also, what are the convincing counterfeits? he's not very good with graphics.

Edited by boba
Social source share

sure, i'd be skeptical. but what is the specific point are you making? do you think he bootlegged originals that are really out there or that he pressed these and they are the original presses? If they are the originals, it really doesn't matter if he pressed them or not, they have an established value already and are gone. Also, he's not an expert at making convincing old labels either. like those "jo-val" things...

edit: also, what are the convincing counterfeits? he's not very good with graphics.

Don't know for sure either way, seems nobody does. My only point is that I was wary of them before and still am. They could quite conceivably be cut from an unissued master, in which case you're right, they are what they are. Does seem odd that nobody ever turns up a used copy and they all come from one person, with a long history of making his own pressings, that's all. In terms of the graphics, I personally don't think the type faces used look particularly authentic for the era. It looks like a stock label layout, and most plants would have used a Futura or Franklin font variant. Don't know if anyone has any other Vegas pressed releases of a similar vintage to compare to?

Anyway, no specific point to make. Just waffling really.

Social source share

Don't know for sure either way, seems nobody does. My only point is that I was wary of them before and still am. They could quite conceivably be cut from an unissued master, in which case you're right, they are what they are. Does seem odd that nobody ever turns up a used copy and they all come from one person, with a long history of making his own pressings, that's all. In terms of the graphics, I personally don't think the type faces used look particularly authentic for the era. It looks like a stock label layout, and most plants would have used a Futura or Franklin font variant. Don't know if anyone has any other Vegas pressed releases of a similar vintage to compare to?

Anyway, no specific point to make. Just waffling really.

I agree, the typeface doesn't look very early '70s. I'd guess a new press, but like we said, has an established value already. I think most cases where he pressed unissued stuff it was from acetates, not master tapes.

• Helpful 1
Social source share