Another Good Night On Bbc4

Almost every friday on BBC 4 is superb and has been for years - seen some of the best documentaries ever on there, about artists I wouldn't usually be that interested in: Fleetwood Mac, Dr Feelgood, Easy Listening, and so on and so on..

p.s. who is Charles Bradley?

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Tomorrow night:-

What's Going On............The Life & Death of Marvin Gaye

Charles Bradley.................Soul Of America

Barry White @ the BBC

:thumbup:

Seen the Barry White programme before I think. If it's the one filmed in the 70's its fantastic - a real close up show.

Peter

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Excellent, set the Tivo box, off to Lowton friday night, then home to a BBC4 fest.  :thumbsup:

I read Marvin's book, truly heartbreaking the way he went.

The last time I ever seen him on telly alive was on The Tube, I think it was Jools H or someone, went over to Holland and did a film piece with him, he was very happy when he was there, as he could walk down the street, get a smoke or do whatever he wanted without getting mobbed.

Social source share

Almost every friday on BBC 4 is superb and has been for years - seen some of the best documentaries ever on there, about artists I wouldn't usually be that interested in: Fleetwood Mac, Dr Feelgood, Easy Listening, and so on and so on..

Pete..............don't know a great deal about him to be honest..................current day funky soul artist.  

I actually recognised the name because he used to be a James Brown impersonator.

Caz   :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Garry Huxley

Check out the charles bradley on jools holland and you will see somee amazin soul

Edited by Garry Huxley
Social source share

Thanks for the heads up.

Wonder if it's that one when he was in Oslo (?)...........if so, saw it ages ago and remember it being a bit depressing. 

Not sure if it's the one you mention..................but just looked it up and it was made in 2005 so probably been on telly several times over the years.  

Carol   :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks for the heads up.

Wonder if it's that one when he was in Oslo (?)...........if so, saw it ages ago and remember it being a bit depressing. 

Ostende you mean? This has been on before but it's not the Ostende one but there are snippets of the Ostende programme on it. 

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Pete..............don't know a great deal about him to be honest..................current day funky soul artist.  

I actually recognised the name because he used to be a James Brown impersonator.

Caz   :thumbsup:

Charles Bradley records on Daptone, his second album came out earlier this year.

He did used to be a James Brown impersonator but was known as 'Black Velvet' then.  His life story is really interesting, living on the streets etc, nearly dying after being given penicillin  ((which he's allergic to), his brother got murdered just down the road from his mums house, the list goes on.

Social source share

Mr White show ain't too shabby either is it? Just look and listen at that orchestra - and we ain't see The Man yet!

He might not be everyone's cup of tea - but he is mine. He was also very a influential black rights and equality campaigner. I'd have enjoyed being at this show and shaking the mans hand!

Peter

:thumbup:

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Carl Dixon

Enjoying Barry White (Albert Hall 1975), but the TV employee holding the technical cabling out the way who is in vision, whilst BW wanders all over the place, look what he is smoking! And the bass player, he looks like James Jamerson! 

Edited by Carl Dixon
Social source share

Have to say the charles bradley programme was superb, thanks to the bbc for bringing him to my ears :), also i love barry white, no point getting snobby about hearing good soul music, barry white sold millions of records that means he was good at what he did !! also the majestics on linda( i love her so much), yep thats barry singing away plus all the stuff a&r wise on bronco and mustang means the guy had serious pedigree too, a great night on bbc4 :)

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

From Bradley's latest album the deeper "Let Love Stand A Chance" is perhaps my pick, but for those who prefer a more dancefloor friendly track then "You Put The Flame On It" is pretty good

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Just watching the Charles Bradley prog now, what a nice guy with a truly inspiring story

John

Social source share

Just watched the Marvin Gaye documentary.

Really really good.

He was such complex character it's untrue.

For me, Marvin had it all.

Funny enough, George Benson was on Inheritance Tracks on Radio 4 this morning, he chose Save The Children from What's Going On, great choice from another hero of mine.

Berry Gordy said that was the best piece of music ever made at Motown (even though he never backed the project because of 'image' issues).

Social source share

Enjoyed all three programmes even though I had seen both the Barry White and Marvin one previously.................the Charles Bradley programme was excellent and as already mentioned................. sad, but also inspiring.

As Chalky has mentioned in another thread, Charles will be touring over here..................hopefully he will get more recognition................which is thoroughly deserved!!!

:yes:  :thumbsup:

Edited by CeeJay
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!