Uk Lp Prices

Why are uk sellers of Lp's in particular far more expensive than European and US dealers. Even with postage they often work out cheaper to buy from abroad.

There was one Lp on here last week that I wanted and there were five copies on Discogs half the Uk sellers price or less. Do they want to sell, are they in it for what they can get out of it? This wasn't or isn't an isolated case either, time after time Uk sellers on Discogs are near the bottom of he list for sale.

Edited by chalky
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I did hear John is compiling a price guide for LPs now,

I don't know if this is true or when it is due out.

But if it does come out I expect LP prices especially from the states to rise sharply as the US dealers jump on the bandwagon just as they did when the 7" book came out.

Bob

Social source share

I guess a lot of people in the UK bought their LP's when the prices were higher and are looking to get back what they paid

I remember in the late 80's and early 90's LP's from the like of Jean Carn, Roy Ayers, Jones Girls etc were selling at record fairs for around £15 - now they go for around £5

• Helpful 1
Social source share

POSTAGE IS TOO MUCH FOR LP's FROM THE STATES NOW.SOME SELLERS WANT $20 OR MORE NOT WORTH BUYING LP's ANYMORE.JOE.

I agree the postage is too much from the states but even with the extra it is usually cheaper than a UK dealers copy.

There is a record advertised on here at £40. On Discogs there is one at $14.99, just under a tenner, even with postage it is still half the uk price.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I guess a lot of people in the UK bought their LP's when the prices were higher and are looking to get back what they paid

I remember in the late 80's and early 90's LP's from the like of Jean Carn, Roy Ayers, Jones Girls etc were selling at record fairs for around £15 - now they go for around £5

You are probably right but do UK sellers not checkout competition? Almost to a record, very seller outside the UK is cheaper than the UK seller on Discogs.

I would much prefer to do my trading in this country but when LP's are twice the price and more than European and US dealers then I will do my buying with them.

Social source share

I am going to have to get on this discogs and sell some lp's, I find you can't give them away half the time.

I joined discogs last year, and was about to list my stuff there, as I do on a few others sites like Musicstack / Gemm etc, until I came to upload my database. It was then I realised you had to either search for your items individually and add them one at a time using discogs unique number for that item, or If it wasn't there, then create a discogs number and add it that way. either way it would be one at a time, fine if you list about 20 items, but I have what I consider a small database, at about 2000. It would take me 6 months solid to retype all that. God knows how sellers with many thousands of items manage.

Cheers

Mick

Social source share

I joined discogs last year, and was about to list my stuff there, as I do on a few others sites like Musicstack / Gemm etc, until I came to upload my database. It was then I realised you had to either search for your items individually and add them one at a time using discogs unique number for that item, or If it wasn't there, then create a discogs number and add it that way. either way it would be one at a time, fine if you list about 20 items, but I have what I consider a small database, at about 2000. It would take me 6 months solid to retype all that. God knows how sellers with many thousands of items manage.

Cheers

Mick

I always have a couple of thousand items on there. The listings takes around a minute a record if they're already on the database, so you can list 50 a session easily. I did 30 last night when I got a spare 40 minutes. I turn over a lot of stuff on there but mostly the less obscure stuff. It's pretty perfect for me as e-bay takes around 7-8 minutes a listing and is a lot more tedious IMO.....

Ian D :D

Social source share

If you are looking for a particular record and it is on Discogs it will always be near the top of the search results. You usually get a few choices as well. It is also a great resource with all the details about the recording.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

I don't buy much these days although I have bought some albums recently. Nearly all of them came from Discogs - I really like the site. As has been said uk sellers are often way over priced compared to non uk sellers. Bought from France, Italy and Germany recently all cheaper even taking postage into account. I don't think I've ever purchased anything from ebay.

Peter

:thumbsup:

Social source share

I agree the postage is too much from the states but even with the extra it is usually cheaper than a UK dealers copy.

There is a record advertised on here at £40. On Discogs there is one at $14.99, just under a tenner, even with postage it is still half the uk price.

And you are more likely to get a sealed copy from the US - guarantees condition for me - LP's must be in first class condition for listening at home, none of that 'OK for Djing' nonsense you get for knackered 45's.  Mike

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

pity john manship didn't do a price guide for lp's,

record collector is now much use for soul records lp's or 45s

just about everybody has a few lp's don't they.

joe.

I am not sure John has the information in his database to price lps correctly

He is a soulman, he sells soul records that are on 45 format

the obvious lps with  non 45 tracks that have become collectable due to dj plays

tempests, freddie butler, metros, hesitations etc

what else needs to be said in a price guide.

I can't see him ever doing a lp price guide .

Its just not his thing.

Of course I may be way off the mark

I have collected thousands of lps over the years, including most of the important boogaloo things

the last lp I bought of Manny was in the early 90s - It was the Deon Jackson LP on Atco

It just aint what he does.

craig morers database would be far more intresting as far as a realistic price guide for lps

but do we need or want a guide for lps ?

information is fantastic, but when it determines a price baseline.

i dont think so.

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

L.p's still the best value pro rata quality soul obscure items. theres 1000's of bargains out in the ether. A list/price guide would be ambitious to say the least though.

Social source share

i've got a few record collectors books,

but you've still got to know what to look for,

i suppose you could have say the top 500

joe.us & uk would be start,

say like a wikileaks where people could just add lps to the list which would sort itself out in a abc order,

then everyone could have there 2 pennoth worth no one need argue about what was rarest or worth the most,

Social source share

Why are uk sellers of Lp's in particular far more expensive than European and US dealers. Even with postage they often work out cheaper to buy from abroad.

There was one Lp on here last week that I wanted and there were five copies on Discogs half the Uk sellers price or less. Do they want to sell, are they in it for what they can get out of it? This wasn't or isn't an isolated case either, time after time Uk sellers on Discogs are near the bottom of he list for sale.

because we think we control the market chalky.

Social source share

i've got a few record collectors books,

but you've still got to know what to look for,

i suppose you could have say the top 500

joe.us & uk would be start,

say like a wikileaks where people could just add lps to the list which would sort itself out in a abc order,

then everyone could have there 2 pennoth worth no one need argue about what was rarest or worth the most,

There are a couple of great Lp topics on here somewhere. One was LP only tracks and another LP recommendation topic. Maybe one of the mods can find them for you.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!