Favorite Drummers 45

Guest kool s

Guest gaz thomas

Think that's more of a decent rhythm section rather than an individual drummer if you don't mind me saying so  :D

Great record  :thumbsup:

Richard 

ok

Edited by gaz thomas
Social source share

Guest gaz thomas

don't know who it is but always loved the crash bang wallop in this......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sngb8sztAjE

(Davis & Tyler - hold on help is on the way)

its george davis and red tyler, new orleans class

unless you are a dj, I would advise you get the lp  on original parlo

Its a classic soul lp

aaron neville - tell it like it is

but only on parlo, the imperial release misses the great tracks

including the track you posted

Social source share

unless you are a dj, I would advise you get the lp  on original parlo

Its a classic soul lp

aaron neville - tell it like it is

but only on parlo, the imperial release misses the great tracks

including the track you posted

....good call...I have the album....bought it off Ronnie Hanley '77ish

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL.....To start of there have been some of the worlds top drummers already mentioned, so I thought to go back to the 5ts to the big bands, when the members of the band played a solo in every set,

however to start off.  Can I mention my favourite film about a drummer, FRANK SINATRA in the film "the MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM" A great film to watch with an amazing music score, I recommend this powerful film as a masterpiece & a must watch before you die??/ :huh:

My fave drummer/s are Louis Bellson & Buddy Rich, and possibly Ginger Baker & Keith Moon.

the latter one is not the most skilled, but I have a passion for the WHO.  Ginger was a member of CREAM who made being a being a 3 member group work better than any other, except for the Jimi Hendrix Experience,

My top pick is Louis Bellson  a fantastic drummer as is Buddy Rich please check them out on you chube'

However I do recommend Louis Bellson LP Drumainia on COLUMBIA 33C 9040 if you can find it :g:

AS ALWAYS :wicked: DAVE K

louie belson lp a.pdflouie belson lp b.pdf

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL.....To start of there have been some of the worlds top drummers already mentioned, so I thought to go back to the 5ts to the big bands, when the members of the band played a solo in every set,

however to start off.  Can I mention my favourite film about a drummer, FRANK SINATRA in the film "the MAN WITH THE GOLDEN ARM" A great film to watch with an amazing music score, I recommend this powerful film as a masterpiece & a must watch before you die??/ :huh:

My fave drummer/s are Louis Bellson & Buddy Rich, and possibly Ginger Baker & Keith Moon.

the latter one is not the most skilled, but I have a passion for the WHO.  Ginger was a member of CREAM who made being a being a 3 member group work better than any other, except for the Jimi Hendrix Experience,

My top pick is Louis Bellson  a fantastic drummer as is Buddy Rich please check them out on you chube'

However I do recommend Louis Bellson LP Drumainia on COLUMBIA 33C 9040 if you can find it :g:

AS ALWAYS :wicked: DAVE K

attachicon.giflouie belson lp a.pdfattachicon.giflouie belson lp b.pdf

Buddy Rich vs. Animal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_BmeBfV-O4

Social source share

Saw Rory Gallagher in Sheffield circa '71 with Greenslade as support.  The Drummer from Greenslade did a 10 minute Solo whilst the rest of the band left the Stage - Amazing.  Never seen the like !

:hatsoff2: HI ALL I saw Rory Gallagher in 1969 at the BLUESVILE 69 Cherry Tree Pub Welwyn Garden City, he was playing with his band the TASTE, the drummer also did a great solo, however it was Rory version of "sugar mama" it was outstanding, the BLUESVILE CLUBS took over the mantle that the RICKY-TICK CLUBS had done other clubs like the KLOOKS KLEEK, THE MIDLE EARTH ROUND HOUSE all supported the progressive blues sound of 68/9 sadly it turned into progressive rock then into HEAVY METAL, it's like the rare soul/northern soul scene turning into a cross over modern soul scene, bloody ridicules if you ask me, and it will never happen :thumbsup: .................................................... :ohmy: what's that you say? :ohmy:  :D DAVE K

Social source share

Pop songs?

Ok, Ram Jam, black Betty

the Knack , my sharona

Sparks, this town aint big enough

Golden earring, radar love

Serious drummage on all of those (if you play , youd understand)

Soul stuff?

Clyde stubblefield (james brown)

Benny benjamin, Uriel jones, richard allen (motown)

Stevie wonder (amazing talent)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL.... Hope I have not misread the gist of the post above, but all popular music that means post 1950s are  based around a 12 bar beat, most drummers drum the beat with hands or feat. it goes without saying that the skill is just the same for all genre's of all music, so yes POP JAZZ SOUL ROCK whatever type you want the thread is about the drummer, you cant dismiss the talent of 1 over the other based on who he plays the drums for?? :g: DAVE the STICKS K

Social source share

Guest MBarrett

He deserves a proper mention in this thread.

Animal from the Muppets could have been modelled on him.

It can only be . . . . . . . . .

Social source share

IMHO one of the most brilliantly understated pieces of drumming.

But just perfect . . . . . . .

I am enjoying hearing all of these wonderful drummers, and I'm not trying to be bad but...

...this is one of my favorite artist and songs and I do not want to take anything away from the wonderful Stax sound but, I always thought this was a metronome for 70% of the song. :g::shhh:

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

Saw Bowie at Free Trade Hall Manchester '72.......Mick Woodmansey was the drummer then (Ziggy Tour).....and none too shabby either

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HepcwnB19C0&list=PL2DEBF77D658D2925

(david bowie - soul love) 

Yes, forget how good the musicians really where that backed Bowie. He drew your attention so much that they became bit players.  Ronson was a genius on Guitar also.   Saw the Ziggy Tour on its Sheffield and Doncaster legs.  Amazing !!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

I am enjoying hearing all of these wonderful drummers, and I'm not trying to be bad but...

...this is one of my favorite artist and songs and I do not want to take anything away from the wonderful Stax sound but, I always thought this was a metronome for 70% of the song. :g::shhh:

Lorraine

Hi Lorraine

Agree with Ian above (is that the same as a rimshot?).

For me it's so perfect in its simplicity that it really could be a metronome!!

All the instruments on that track are so beautifully understated underneath the raw emotion of Otis's voice.

I love the interplay of the organ and the piano - and all the other instruments for that matter.

I've never produced a record in my life - but if I had produced that track alone I would die a happy man!! :D

MB

Social source share

Benny Benjamin, Pistol Allen and Uriel Jones are my favourites because of all the great Motown intros,so many start with drums

However, Maurice White (Earth Wind and Fire) was the studio drummer at Chess and was later part of the Ramsey Lewis Trio. He on so many records from our scene and his drumming is very solid and recognisable:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Lorraine !!

Its a rim click.

IanP,

I know what it is suppose  to be, but the 'nome' has a certain sound and I hear that sound!  Also, there is that perfection.  I do love when the 'drummer' does come in because he kicks it!  However, in this case I have no problem in being corrected!

Lorraine

Edited by lorchand
Social source share

MBarrett,

A rim click is done by holding the stick midway . Tapping the butt end againstthe rim and at the same time touchingthe head with fingers.

A rim shot is when the drum head is struck by the stick, simultaneously with the rim . Hence a loud"crack".

A rim click is both subtle and audible, a lovely sound ... As heard on the above track

Social source share

don't know who it is but always loved the crash bang wallop in this......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sngb8sztAjE

(Davis & Tyler - hold on help is on the way)

G.Davis = George Davis (guitar)

R.Tyler = Alvin 'Red' Tyler (sax).

Not 100% sure who was waving the sticks around...possibly Albert "June" Gardner?

:hatsoff2:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest MBarrett

MBarrett,

A rim click is done by holding the stick midway . Tapping the butt end againstthe rim and at the same time touchingthe head with fingers.

A rim shot is when the drum head is struck by the stick, simultaneously with the rim . Hence a loud"crack".

A rim click is both subtle and audible, a lovely sound ... As heard on the above track

Thanks Ian.

I've got a massive respect for drummers. But I don't know much about  techniques or whatever.

I just know that I could barely hold a beat for one bar with one hand.

So when I see these guys really going for it - with all four limbs - twin bass drums etc. etc. - I am absolutely in awe!! :ohmy:

MB

Social source share

One of my faves...Jesse James - Love Is Alright...Ok nothing out standing technically, but those drum rolls are tops!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3MpxcJdGeY

Yes Flynny old boy I to love this drummer he can be herd on many Harthon tracks,have been trying to find out who it is for some time,ive asked Earl Young but he hasn't replied on that as yet.Glad you like it too,respect

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!