The Book On Record Hunting

Steve Foran

:lol: Sitting on the fence there Chalkster, there's only 18 days left of this year, seriously though, there is great anticipation about this book, can't wait 

Kev

:lol:  I don't know how far they are down the line, I've not asked for a while.   Maybe one of them will read this, if not I will ask Andy.

Social source share

You speak for yourself Phil ... This project is still 100% happening ! It is  just taking longer than first thought... a million and one hurdles to get over which tend to be more complex to the amateurs (like us) in comparison with the more experienced persons.Without rambling on for too long,because i want any monies made to go to charity - we are having to do the biggest part of the process ourselves also transcribing interviews from camcorders is time consuming aswell as pretty funny at times etc. ... got loads of written contributions that said we are at the mercy of some contributers (who have to be included) who are still working on the stories.... not helping much is that i've been split in 20 different directions for the last year and a half.We are very grateful to all who have contributed a true reflection of the community spirit of our  soul scene ... dare i say it, but if anyone has any stories by all means get em in just drop us a line. Certainly gonna be pulling our fingers out here with ...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

You speak for yourself Phil ... This project is still 100% happening ! It is  just taking longer than first thought... a million and one hurdles to get over which tend to be more complex to the amateurs (like us) in comparison with the more experienced persons.Without rambling on for too long,because i want any monies made to go to charity - we are having to do the biggest part of the process ourselves also transcribing interviews from camcorders is time consuming aswell as pretty funny at times etc. ... got loads of written contributions that said we are at the mercy of some contributers (who have to be included) who are still working on the stories.... not helping much is that i've been split in 20 different directions for the last year and a half.We are very grateful to all who have contributed a true reflection of the community spirit of our  soul scene ... dare i say it, but if anyone has any stories by all means get em in just drop us a line. Certainly gonna be pulling our fingers out here with ...

Andy.....if you need contributors......try  steve cooper....lives in the village of bolnhurst....has met   len jewel,lynn vernado...the owners of  pathway records.....soulin records.....he was going to the states all through the 70's....told me some fantastic tales  of diggin

Social source share

Andy,I had a funny but frightening experience in NASSAU looking for records, I nearly missed the boat !

Give me shout if you want details .Rod Clegg

Social source share

I left a copy of "Black Power" by James Coit down the grid outside Wigan....car park side in 1977 and cracked copies of The Steinways and Van Dykes in a motel in Binghamton NY in 1990.....maybe someone wants to go and find these?

They filled the grid with concrete, tarmacked Station Road then built the Grand Arcade on top, barring a nuclear explosion James Coit will never be seen again! :D 

Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

Andy,I had a funny but frightening experience in NASSAU looking for records, I nearly missed the boat !

Give me shout if you want details .Rod Clegg

Was it 'funky' as well as funny ? :D

Social source share

Yep these things take time....Keep plugging away!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Post up details on here please, I'll be in Nassau in 4 weeks time. Any record shops still exist there ??

Hi Roburt, sorry I'm late mate.Well it goes like this my wife and I went on a Caribbean cruise for my 50th. I knew that I wouldn't have time to look in America as it was a night flight, looking at the ports that we would be stopping at: Nassau seemed best bet.When we got to Nassau and got of the ship, the wife and her sister did the usual sightseeing trip to the shops(every bloody shop). So I ran of to find anyone who might know where to find a record shop, a bobby! Just the man, I asked if a record shop existed in Nassau and he gave me directions down a side street. When I got there I was disappointed ;Cd,s Game shite but no Records, dam, just about to leave when lad behind the counter asked what I was looking for! I looked at this bit of a kid and tried to explain what a 45 or LP was. After a long silence he said that he had an Aunt that might still have some records in an old shed, he rang her while I'm standing there,and he relayed what music I was looking for.  As not to complicate the task I said' Soul music, Motown, Stax, Atlantic,he nodded his head and said his Aunt would be on her lunch break in an hour and would show me what she had. I ran to catch up with the wife only to find she had only moved about six shops on. I told her that I was meeting up with this old dear ( ? ) in an hour and that I would be back in plenty of time to catch the boat we where booked on for a trip. I trotted of again to the shop and met up with the lad again, he told me his cousin would take me to meet up with his Aunt, not thinking anything wrong I said OK.  In comes this youth with all the rapping shit on and I thought Oh no. Sure enough it was him and off I went thinking what are you doing. Along the way he asked me what I did for a job ( starting to get a little nervous about the situation I went from being a postie to being a copper ) we carried walking but this was at midday and it must have been in the 90s and I was feeling a bit worse for wear. After we walked for a mile or two up and down alleyways past an old cemetery  I shouted STOP I'm not going any further and I'm running out of time; he said it's just around the corner and I said if that's the case bring them to me. He said look from the corner and I'll get my Aunt to come out so you can see her; OK you go and get her to come out with the records and we'll meet, sure enough she stood there with a holdall in her hands.I went over a bit gingerly to where she was and took a look inside her bag,about 300 plus singles, mostly soul on STAX,MOTOWN,DAKER,ATLANTIC,MERCURY,VOLT,GLADES,etc with a few Funk Classics.( yes Nassau gone funky was one)we agreed a price after a bit of a fuss and me telling her I wasn't much bothered as the state was poor, I had to laugh she wanted the holdall back,so I transferd the 45s to my lightweight haversack that now weighed 1/2 hundred weight,knackerd ,sweating, late, And feeling a bit stupid I made my way back to the harbour to meet up with the wife as they where getting on the boat for the trip. I won't tell you what she called me? But in answer to your question, there are NO record shops in NASSAU::; was it worth it  YES... ROD

Edited by Rodders22
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Andy.....if you need contributors......try  steve cooper....lives in the village of bolnhurst....has met   len jewel,lynn vernado...the owners of  pathway records.....soulin records.....he was going to the states all through the 70's....told me some fantastic tales  of diggin

Terry thanks for reply if you could send me Seve's details i'll drop him a line- it's not really a matter of needing material (although it's always great to get new stuff)  it's organising the stuff we got but it'll get there...

Social source share

Personally, I think there's too much about drugs in it, and it's not even written yet.....down with this sort of thing.

seriously though - really looking forward to this  :rofl:

crack on eh  :wicked:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!