Gloucester Bristol Hotel 19/12/87 Video

Wiggyflat

Wow! what a wonderful trip down memory!!

Tell me about it...quite a few Soul-Sourcers are there...should they care to reveal themselves :)

Thankfully I wasn't there that night having already left Gloucester by '87, but so good to see some of the old regular faces...thanks for the upload and looking forward to part II already.

Social source share

That's a brilliant bit of footage. I love seeing these uploads (Tony's empress ballroom,odd fellows etc).and I am sure I have met the chap being interviewed at about 14min 40sec a few times and he still had the moves. What does surprise me is back then it was still the same argument oldies,nostalgia etc vs newies (as they call them) and that was back in 1987!.

Edited by mark and donna
Social source share

Gloucester - a city with a fine history of northern soul. :thumbsup:

Gloucestershire - a county with a fine history of Northern Soul - and it continues!

What's frightening is that it's almost twenty seven years since that was filmed...don't think I DJ'd at that one, although I did quite a few there, probably off doing a nightclub gig! Dennis Lee, Wilxy with big hair, Sue Reddy, Julie, Rich Gough, even Steve Smith, loads more faces, and what's positive is that a lot of 'em will be at either Soulfusion this Saturday or Gloucester Wotton Hall niter next month!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

can someone give me the artist name of the song l.o.v.e at around 8.45minutes please, heard it out a few times but never caught the artist.

Leon Thomas on Flying Dutchman

Then one around 19:11 is Pharrell, Ivan Dewsbury's favourite 'soul' record of all time :))))))

Edited by Sutty
Social source share

Am blocked too :(

There's a Firefox add-on called "Proxytube" to watch blocked YT videos. Will give it a try tonight.

Yes, Benji, found it on You Tube last night

Unfortunately 1987 was prime changing nappies, working 7 days a week to support family, not going to Northern nights so I missed this and most local nights at that time as I had to be picky about where I went.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Watched these last night. I see it is billed as the 2nd anniversary. There were of course regular nights there long before 1985. Upstairs more often than not.

My memory is never great but who used to run the nights in the video? I remember Julie on the door, but for the life of me cant remember who ran these nights. Can someone help?

I'd be interested to know if the success was largely due to persuading the landlord to let the nights move to the bigger downstairs area. I actually kinda liked the upstairs room, but downstairs seemed to attract a lot more people through the door.

Social source share

very interesting.. :thumbsup: ...got a few friends  on the footage  but for me  its an insight into the local soul scene in gloucester that i completly missed out on for 25 years.. not really sure why know as i always loved the music while never going anywhere......the bristol had some big soul acts on in the 60s and i went to a few soul nights there in the early  70s. ez

Social source share

Yes it was a great night, have a copy of this video that we watched just before Xmas. I seemed to spend the whole night with a walk on part as seemed to spend more time walking past in the background then on the dance floor. Great to see so many of the local characters, alongside those from afar.

Have attached a copy of some of the original flyers.

Mark (Gloucester)

post-4624-0-42146800-1390055366_thumb.jp

post-4624-0-56193700-1390055395_thumb.jp

post-4624-0-38705000-1390055411_thumb.jp

Edited by littlestanley
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!