Record Collectors' And Photographic Memory-Any Stories?

Robbk

My wife tells me I have a selective memory, which is probably true when it comes to things that interest me, but my wife, who is not interested at all in my music collection, has a photographic memory. This allows her to win all arguments over dates, photos. In fact everything! On one occasion when we had friends round for a few beers and stayed up until 3.00am, I asked her to record a tv programme we were going to miss that night. It was in the days of video plus, when you had to put in a 6/7 digit number into the VCR. Not only did she do it whilst drunk, but recalled the exact random number the next morning when I asked if she'd remembered to do it.

I think I have a better memory when it comes to collecting, but only because it interests me. Not as good as yours though Robb!

Kev

Social source share

Funnily enough, I was talking to Glen Bellamy about this very subject just a short while back at The Nags Head, I asked him about a record I bought years ago (Can’t for the life of me remember what it is right now though) :D Glen remembers absolutely everything about records, and as he says, he normally only has to be told the once and he’s got it (in the memory bank)

I do think there is definitely something unique in some collectors, and the more they use it, the stronger it gets. It must have something to do with being really interested in the subject (You listened at School if you were actually interested) but on another level - Gary Holyman is someone else who seems to have that gift.

…..Unfortunately, I do not (far from it) and at times I find it really frustrating, even a bit embarrassing in my younger days, but nowadays I actually find it very amusing at times.

Well done to all those who do have ‘the gift’ - I am a tad jealous! :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

Social source share

I used to have non soul related friends test me on the Top 500 book - generally by label, difficult on some majors, so I then went by number and sometimes by colour of label/design alone...which looks very clever to non soul folk but is fairly rudimentary to most of us :wink:

Edited by Barry
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I think Ian Dewhirst commented on Simon Soussan having a terrific memory for labels, producers, songwriters, etc when he they were trawling for records in the 1970s.

Quote:

"Simon would suddenly stop digging and pull out a record....

He'd then hold the record directly in front of his eyes and say "Hey, baby boy. Are you're nostrils blocked my friend? Well, you will breathe forever when you hear this baby boy. I have just found the ultimate sinus-deblocker"!

And he'd usually be right. He had a photographic memory for label credits and could usually spot a 'good possibility' Northern unknown immediately, usually from a tiny credit buried away on the label. I have to give him that."

Personally, I have never bothered going as far as learning label release numbers, run-out groove details and such, but I usually know an artist and the corresponding label if put to the test...usually!

Social source share

There was a study some years back into the changes that happen to the brains of would-be "Black Cab" drivers in London when they study 'the Knowledge'.

I wonder if the ability to store and process vast amounts of geographical data - as in the case of licensed taxi drives - is in some way similar to the memory recall experienced some collectors relative to label and other data. Here are some snippets from a news report on the study:

Acquiring 'the Knowledge' — the complex layout of central London's 25,000 streets and thousands of places of interest — causes structural changes in the brain and changes to memory in the capital's taxi drivers, new research funded by the Wellcome Trust has shown.

Previous studies of qualified London taxi drivers, led by Professor Eleanor Maguire from the Wellcome Trust Centre for Neuroimaging at UCL (University College London), have shown a greater volume of grey matter -- the nerve cells in the brain where processing takes place -- in an area known as the posterior hippocampus and less in the anterior hippocampus relative to non-taxi drivers.

The researchers examined the structure of the volunteers' brains at the start of the study, before any of the trainees had begun their training. They found no discernible differences in the structures of either the posterior hippocampus or the anterior hippocampus between the groups, and all groups performed equally well on the memory tasks.

Three to four years later -- when the trainees had either passed the test or had failed to acquire the Knowledge -- the researchers again looked at the brain structures of the volunteers and tested their performance on the memory tasks. This time, they found significant differences in the posterior hippocampus -- those trainees that qualified as taxi drivers had a greater volume of grey matter in the region than they had before they started their training.

Source: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/12/111208125720.htm

Social source share

So, the training received in searching through millions of 45s has built up more gray matter (connections) in our hyppocampuses.  But, I had memorized the goals and assists statistics on the backs of hockey cards and in the Sunday newspaper, starting at age 4 or 5.  So, I had the skill before searching for vinyl records, and honing that skill.  By age 7, someone could ask me how many goals Gordie Howe scored in 1947-48, or what was Terry Sawchuck's goals-against average in 1951-52, and I answer all such questions correctly and automatically.  If I didn't remember the stats offhand (a very obscure player), I'd think of the particular card, see the photo of the player and his name on the front of the card, then "flip over the card" in my mind, and "read" the stats.  Same for the card number.  I never really paid attention to them, but memorized them, just the same.  And the few I couldn't remember offhand, I could "read" off the image in my mind.  I had also memorized the numbers of comic books, and the stories in particular issues, starting from age 4.  I started collecting records at 7( when I found out one could by 45s for 5¢ each, and 78s for 10¢ each, at thrift stores.   So, I think that the essence of this talent, and tendency to gravitate towards the use and development of it, are inborn, and those who use it a lot, develop it into a more powerful tool.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Spookily enough, I was thinking of putting up a post on this very same topic.  I wondered what others memory is like when it comes to knowing what records they still need.  My memory is shot to pieces these days and I rely heavily on a spreadsheet detailing my collection.  A few times I`ve been positive I needed something and bought it without consulting the spreadheet, only to discover I already own the record and have to sell it on.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Spookily enough, I was thinking of putting up a post on this very same topic.  I wondered what others memory is like when it comes to knowing what records they still need.  My memory is shot to pieces these days and I rely heavily on a spreadsheet detailing my collection.  A few times I`ve been positive I needed something and bought it without consulting the spreadheet, only to discover I already own the record and have to sell it on.

Ha! Ha!  I have a photographic memory, but not the time to make out large lists of what I have and want.  So, I have bought 5 or 6 copies of the same record before, and avoided buying records 3-4 times each, when I thought I already had them.  But, this was when I was buying 45s for from 5¢ each to $1 or $2 each, NOT paying collectors' prices for them on auction.  Making a mistake there would be a disaster.  Memorizing a wants list would be possible.  But, after crossing several records off, I wouldnot be able to keep each new iteration of the list in my mind.  I would get all those slightly different, but very similar images mixed up in my mind's "camera".

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Dave Ward

My record collection is 500 crap records, probably mostly pressings, I just liked dancing, but it's amazing what I know, labels, dates, artists, titles, cover-ups, etc. that I must remember from DJ intro's and conversations, so it's not just photographic, it's aural memory as well. Always glad to come on SS when I get stuck though !

Social source share

Guest Mart B

On another Soul Source Forum thread, we brought up the high incidence of photographic memories among serious record collectors, and I guessed that there would be a whole boatload of great stories about when collectors on this website used that talent in the old days, and interesting or funny results occurred.  I'm hoping you'll post your stories on this thread, and also comment on the part photographic memory plays in allowing serious record collectors to flip through thousands of random 45s, looking for thousands of specific records, with specific songs, sung by specific artists, and also the collectors are looking for songs by certain writers, published by certain publishing companies, arranged by certain arrangers and produced by certain producers, on specific record labels.  With ALL that to look for, it is almost essential to have been born with, or develop a photographic memory.  I happen to have been born with it.  But, I think it has "directed" me into collecting, rather than just having been a coincidence, that it helped me in my amassing a large record collection.

Here is my best personal story regarding that skill:

Back at the beginning of The '70s, I had a few collectors over to my house.  One of them knew me fairly well.  The other was brought by the latter,  The bloke that knew me showed my run of Atlantic 45s from 874 through about 2700, with not all that many missing, to his friend.  The records were stacked standing vertically (as they should be) on shelves, with the thin edge facing outward, in sleeves,  There were cardboard catalogue number markers for every 25 (e.g. at 875, 900. 925, 950, etc).  He told the guy he could pick out any number, at random, and not let me see it.  Then he would tell me the number, and I would proceed to tell him the artist's name and the title of the "A" side song.

He bet him $10 that I could do that.  The guy took the bet.  He didn't believe I (or anyone) could do that.  He proceeded to pick from the middle of the shelves (it ran across 3 different large book shelves).  He picked 1161 "Yodee Yakee" by The Drifters (one of my favourite early non-McPhatter leads).  I got it right away, and for good measure got the 2 other random picks he made. He was in shock.  My friend later gave me half the take ($5),  Although it was all my friend's idea, and I had never intended to take money from that guy, I felt like Minnesota fats skinning a sucker!*

* Actually, I felt a bit like a heel, but I kept  the fiver anyway, as the loser was a bit of a blowhard. 

In my over 50 years of searching for records, I've come across at least a few thousand record collectors.  I've also met a lot more non-collectors.  I have noticed that the photographic memory skill is much, much, much more prevalent among collectors (of all kinds) than among the general population.  And, although it is a skill that helps a collector keep track of what he or she has and is looking for, I think it actually helps direct the person towards collecting (and categorising) in the first place.  I would guess that MOST of the record collectors I've met that have reasonably large collections, or have obtained large numbers of records over a long period of years have had that skill to a certain degree, and NS "Soulies" had an even higher % with that skill.  It seems that many of them have had the in-born -phenomenal TRUE photographic memory, of being able to see (reproduce) images in their minds of what they have seen, and proceed to "read" off of the images or "see" on those images, things that they couldn't remember by just trying to remember that bit of data or individual item, out of its context.  For example, I have to see in my mind's eye, myself shuffling through the records one by one, to remember the catalogue number of records I've looked at a lot less times than the ones that surround it.  But, when I see, in my mind's eye, the records around it whose number I remember, I then remember the forgotten number -and even see the forgotten image of the number written on the label.

I would like to hear comments from all of you on my theory, as well as any funny and/or interesting stories that came out of your using that skill.

Fire away!

Know Chris & Rob Marriott well,went to nighters with them in the late 70s,their knowledge was unbelievable especially Chris he would buy originals that was unknown to most but he knew they would become big ticket.

Social source share

I could have identified a good portion of the flip sides, too.  But, only remembering about 60% of them would leave me open to look bad, if I would miss 2 consecutively.  There are a LOT of flip sides that I never play, so I didn't look at them enough to memorize them.

Social source share

I asked a house dj mate of mine why he'd never gone digital, and he said all of our generation, that grew up playing vinyl, dj'd visually, 'its the the third mix on that green one', or its the one with the lion on the cover'. I have so many house tunes I can only remember in that way, ask me the title and I've had it, but I could take your to where it is in the box everytime. Soul and funk wise I'm better but the label always comes first with me, 'its on.....' then the artist and ttile is stuck further away in the vaults of my mind.

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Dave Molloy from Farnworth remembers everything. Labels, flip sides, writers, arrangement, group members, who discovered what and in what year along with c/u name. The walking encyclopedia of soul can even tell you exactly when he bought a record, how much and who he sold it too. Our house is full of researched discographies of hundreds of labels.. My husband is a legend!!! *biased wife of Wigan

Social source share

Dave Molloy from Farnworth remembers everything. Labels, flip sides, writers, arrangement, group members, who discovered what and in what year along with c/u name. The walking encyclopedia of soul can even tell you exactly when he bought a record, how much and who he sold it too. Our house is full of researched discographies of hundreds of labels.. My husband is a legend!!! *biased wife of Wigan

Yes.  That's typical of serious collectors.  Even after we get into the several thousands of records, we can remember where and when we got each one.  They are like "old friends".

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Collectors or passionate fans of most activities have incredible recall of their chosen subject. Film buffs, music, stamps, trains etc., followers all can remember minute details. If learning maths was like a passion for records, then most of us would be a maths genius! 

It it is uncanny how much we can recall, I put my recall down to pure love of the subject matter. Now ask me who won the last rugby World Cup, and I wouldn't have clue. Ask me when I first heard saw a record, and the details will come straight back, amazing difference.

Edited by jim g
Social source share

Guest turntableterra

On another Soul Source Forum thread, we brought up the high incidence of photographic memories among serious record collectors, and I guessed that there would be a whole boatload of great stories about when collectors on this website used that talent in the old days, and interesting or funny results occurred.  I'm hoping you'll post your stories on this thread, and also comment on the part photographic memory plays in allowing serious record collectors to flip through thousands of random 45s, looking for thousands of specific records, with specific songs, sung by specific artists, and also the collectors are looking for songs by certain writers, published by certain publishing companies, arranged by certain arrangers and produced by certain producers, on specific record labels.  With ALL that to look for, it is almost essential to have been born with, or develop a photographic memory.  I happen to have been born with it.  But, I think it has "directed" me into collecting, rather than just having been a coincidence, that it helped me in my amassing a large record collection.

Here is my best personal story regarding that skill:

Back at the beginning of The '70s, I had a few collectors over to my house.  One of them knew me fairly well.  The other was brought by the latter,  The bloke that knew me showed my run of Atlantic 45s from 874 through about 2700, with not all that many missing, to his friend.  The records were stacked standing vertically (as they should be) on shelves, with the thin edge facing outward, in sleeves,  There were cardboard catalogue number markers for every 25 (e.g. at 875, 900. 925, 950, etc).  He told the guy he could pick out any number, at random, and not let me see it.  Then he would tell me the number, and I would proceed to tell him the artist's name and the title of the "A" side song.

He bet him $10 that I could do that.  The guy took the bet.  He didn't believe I (or anyone) could do that.  He proceeded to pick from the middle of the shelves (it ran across 3 different large book shelves).  He picked 1161 "Yodee Yakee" by The Drifters (one of my favourite early non-McPhatter leads).  I got it right away, and for good measure got the 2 other random picks he made. He was in shock.  My friend later gave me half the take ($5),  Although it was all my friend's idea, and I had never intended to take money from that guy, I felt like Minnesota fats skinning a sucker!*

* Actually, I felt a bit like a heel, but I kept  the fiver anyway, as the loser was a bit of a blowhard. 

In my over 50 years of searching for records, I've come across at least a few thousand record collectors.  I've also met a lot more non-collectors.  I have noticed that the photographic memory skill is much, much, much more prevalent among collectors (of all kinds) than among the general population.  And, although it is a skill that helps a collector keep track of what he or she has and is looking for, I think it actually helps direct the person towards collecting (and categorising) in the first place.  I would guess that MOST of the record collectors I've met that have reasonably large collections, or have obtained large numbers of records over a long period of years have had that skill to a certain degree, and NS "Soulies" had an even higher % with that skill.  It seems that many of them have had the in-born -phenomenal TRUE photographic memory, of being able to see (reproduce) images in their minds of what they have seen, and proceed to "read" off of the images or "see" on those images, things that they couldn't remember by just trying to remember that bit of data or individual item, out of its context.  For example, I have to see in my mind's eye, myself shuffling through the records one by one, to remember the catalogue number of records I've looked at a lot less times than the ones that surround it.  But, when I see, in my mind's eye, the records around it whose number I remember, I then remember the forgotten number -and even see the forgotten image of the number written on the label.

I would like to hear comments from all of you on my theory, as well as any funny and/or interesting stories that came out of your using that skill.

Fire away!

my altziemers test is quoting the serial number of bobby paris I walked away

Social source share

I do think there is definitely something unique in some collectors, and the more they use it, the stronger it gets. It must have something to do with being really interested in the subject (You listened at School if you were actually interested) but on another level

Well done to all those who do have ‘the gift’ - I am a tad jealous! :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup: 

I can remember all sorts of facts about records, sometimes I even surprise myself on b sides etc! But have a useless memory for other things!

I have often wished I could have been as fanatical about finance/accountancy as I am about Northern Soul!   Maybe I could have become a millionaire!

Solidsoul.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

There was a study some years back into the changes that happen to the brains of would-be "Black Cab" drivers in London when they study 'the Knowledge'.

I wonder if the ability to store and process vast amounts of geographical data - as in the case of licensed taxi drives - is in some way similar to the memory recall experienced some collectors relative to label and other data. Here are some snippets from a news report on the study:

Source: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/12/111208125720.htm

Any complex learning of knowledge causes structural changes in the brain,any bit of new  knowledge causes the growth of part of the neuron  called the dendrites.psychologicaly  we build up knowledge"Schemas",structures concerning a specific topic,these grow more complex and organised  with  increasing interconnections between all the specific bits of knowledge and continued use and growth lead to people having some amazingly factualy rich schemas.As Len said earlier motivation will be a factor,how much you want to know and this will develop into a "Virtuos cycle",feeding on itself for even more motivation.The actual photographic thing is about forming a visual mental image that is brought up into consciousness by  its connection to a thought,series of thoughts,something along the lines of the persistence of vision theory that allows us to see moving pictures on tv and at the flicks,if you hold something in front of your eye then remove it for a split second the image will remain,except in recalling imagery it comes direct from memory.Theres lots of stuff about what these images are etc.Young children often have what is known as eidetic memory where they can conjure up images  very easily using their imagination in various ways,ie when being told stories for one example.This ability seems to disapear in nearly all children around the age of four approx though in very rare cases can remain until and through adulthood.Surprisinly for some but maybe not so for others small amounts of amphetamine when given to subjects in psychological experiments involving memory  have led to results showing significant improvements in performance  in test results after over before administration of the amphetamines!Perhaps this says something for moderation!maybe soussan dived in the dda box before he dived into the crates?

Memory is truely amazing but so is soulful as as you can get records so maybe thats why the two can often be found connected ,someone with amazing memory with amazing records ?Most people it seems from various articles of research have from time to time experienced an instant or two of the eidetic type memory as found in   childhood but I dont think it is of the sort that you would have conscious time to read the tiniest details on an image of a record that pops up in your mind of one of your favourite choons or of one that has a strong prospect of evoking a picture ,say a certain label for its visual look.

Then youve got the idea of memories being organised not in  schemas but scattered bits of info on multiple levels that comes together when required by doing what if known as and is  to complex to even try to explain"Parallel processing on multi levels". To sum up the more you do it the better you ll get and we still dont really know everything about why we get better(probably wont)

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

Any complex learning of knowledge causes structural changes in the brain,any bit of new  knowledge causes the growth of part of the neuron  called the dendrites.psychologicaly  we build up knowledge"Schemas",structures concerning a specific topic,these grow more complex and organised  with  increasing interconnections between all the specific bits of knowledge and continued use and growth lead to people having some amazingly factualy rich schemas.As Len said earlier motivation will be a factor,how much you want to know and this will develop into a "Virtuos cycle",feeding on itself for even more motivation.The actual photographic thing is about forming a visual mental image that is brought up into consciousness by  its connection to a thought,series of thoughts,something along the lines of the persistence of vision theory that allows us to see moving pictures on tv and at the flicks,if you hold something in front of your eye then remove it for a split second the image will remain,except in recalling imagery it comes direct from memory.Theres lots of stuff about what these images are etc.Young children often have what is known as eidetic memory where they can conjure up images  very easily using their imagination in various ways,ie when being told stories for one example.This ability seems to disapear in nearly all children around the age of four approx though in very rare cases can remain until and through adulthood.Surprisinly for some but maybe not so for others small amounts of amphetamine when given to subjects in psychological experiments involving memory  have led to results showing significant improvements in performance  in test results after over before administration of the amphetamines!Perhaps this says something for moderation!maybe soussan dived in the dda box before he dived into the crates?

Memory is truely amazing but so is soulful as as you can get records so maybe thats why the two can often be found connected ,someone with amazing memory with amazing records ?Most people it seems from various articles of research have from time to time experienced an instant or two of the eidetic type memory as found in   childhood but I dont think it is of the sort that you would have conscious time to read the tiniest details on an image of a record that pops up in your mind of one of your favourite choons or of one that has a strong prospect of evoking a picture ,say a certain label for its visual look.

Then youve got the idea of memories being organised not in  schemas but scattered bits of info on multiple levels that comes together when required by doing what if known as and is  to complex to even try to explain"Parallel processing on multi levels". To sum up the more you do it the better you ll get and we still dont really know everything about why we get better(probably wont)

I still have eidetic memory, takes me ages to read a book as it gets so visual, I always knew I hadn't grown up!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

I still have eidetic memory, takes me ages to read a book as it gets so visual, I always knew I hadn't grown up!

That's a right bastard to have Dave every time you go to read a story you only get as far as reading "Once upon a time",and theres a phooken big image of Big Bens clock  and in some there's even the inner voice  aural connection to the  eidetic  and when the image appears a massive big booming of chimes begins.I believe there's even a name for this affliction to some a gift to others called "cross modal synchronisation",oft compared in scientific circles  to a fifteen caps block up.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

That's a right bastard to have Dave every time you go to read a story you only get as far as reading "Once upon a time",and theres a phooken big image of Big Bens clock  and in some there's even the inner voice  aural connection to the  eidetic  and when the image appears a massive big booming of chimes begins.I believe there's even a name for this affliction to some a gift to others called "cross modal synchronisation",oft compared in scientific circles  to a fifteen caps block up.

I'm reading "Mist Over Pendle Hill" at the moment, set in days of yore, and full of things that I don't understand, very confusing for my mind, but I plod on without getting too involved in the history of costume, it's enough to have to cope with the social niceties of the time.  I probably would have "Cross Model Synchronisation" too if it wasn't for the deafening Tinnitus

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!