Record Missing In The Post

Mark B

Amazing that I have only had one go missing in the post what's more amazing is that if it didn't arrive why hasn't it come back to me as all my packages have the senders address on the back, it was only twenty pounds but that then leaves me ther twenty I sold it for and also no record. So from now on all my sales will be signed for, one person can balls things up for everyone.

Social source share

Amazing that I have only had one go missing in the post what's more amazing is that if it didn't arrive why hasn't it come back to me as all my packages have the senders address on the back, it was only twenty pounds but that then leaves me ther twenty I sold it for and also no record. So from now on all my sales will be signed for, one person can balls things up for everyone.

I'm not 100% sure but I think all packages sent first class are covered up to £20 - so long as you have a proof of postage receipt

Social source share

Sent a parcel to ITALY a couple of weeks ago with tracking. So the buyer emails me some time after asking for the reference number. I checked it out on RM's online track and trace only to be informed that the item had arrived and was being processed in NEW DEHLI!!! WTF! I use a drop and go service and checked out the docket and the receipt and both clearly state ITALY...how the hell can it end up in India!  :dash2:  :facepalm:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

That's the wrong way round. The seller has to claim.

I beg to differ.

I always get the buyer to claim because he can prove what he paid, whereas

I cant, for records I bought donkeys years ago.

Its always worked for me in the past.

Obviously the buyer has to co-operate.

Social source share

On the odd occasion things have gone missing for me I always wait until the appropriate timescale has lapsed, refund the buyer (It's not his fault RM lost it!), and then claim myself.

This avoids the hassle of getting the buyer all the info that's needed by RM

To be quite honest, if you sold me a record that went missing I'd expect you to claim because you have sold me something that hasn't arrived (Not your fault either), but I'd want my money back without all the hassle of getting posting info etc from you and filling in online claim forms.

Put simply. I paid, you failed to deliver, you have to refund me and then what you do is up to you.

I usually fill the form and send it to the buyer along with the postage receipt.

When you claim, do you claim for what the buyer paid you or what you originally

paid for the record, how do you provide proof of value.

I'm not arguing just trying to establish how you get around the

value aspect of the claim.

RM states it will only refund what the claimant paid for the item, which

can be very different for seller/buyer.

Social source share

On the odd occasion things have gone missing for me I always wait until the appropriate timescale has lapsed, refund the buyer (It's not his fault RM lost it!), and then claim myself.

To be quite honest, if you sold me a record that went missing I'd expect you to claim because you have sold me something that hasn't arrived (Not your fault either), but I'd want my money back without all the hassle of getting posting info etc from you and filling in online claim forms.

Put simply. I paid, you failed to deliver, you have to refund me and then what you do is up to you.

But what if you were offered to chance to have it sent signed for but declined and were told that it would be sent by normal post at buyers risk...I'm always getting overseas customers asking me to send by normal post and not signed for, of course it had to happen and one went missing last month, he didn't want signed for..

Social source share

But what if you were offered to chance to have it sent signed for but declined and were told that it would be sent by normal post at buyers risk...I'm always getting overseas customers asking me to send by normal post and not signed for, of course it had to happen and one went missing last month, he didn't want signed for..

I insist on signed for to Spain/Italy no matter what the value.

If they don't want to pay it  I ask them to pay by Paypal Gift which

means they cant claim off you and its at their risk.

Social source share

That is of course right but unfortunately Royal Mail will only pay the seller the price they paid for the record not the price they sold it for, I've had this problem before, you have to prove what you paid for it. If you can get the buyer to claim then Royal Mail actually pay out what they have paid for the record as that is the loss.

So if you buy a record to sell on at a profit, Royal Mail will not reimburse you your profit, mainly as they don't understand the workings of a business. If you've had a record 20 years how do you prove what you paid for it?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I won't do send stuff overseas without sending it insured, if they don't want to pay just don't sell it to them. In the UK I always make the point that if sent unsigned for i will not accept paypal and it is sent at the buyers risk, pointing out the claim limit.

Never understood why people will pay hundreds for records then won't pay the insured postage.

Social source share

Sent a parcel to ITALY a couple of weeks ago with tracking. So the buyer emails me some time after asking for the reference number. I checked it out on RM's online track and trace only to be informed that the item had arrived and was being processed in NEW DEHLI!!! WTF! I use a drop and go service and checked out the docket and the receipt and both clearly state ITALY...how the hell can it end up in India!  :dash2:  :facepalm:

A 45 I bought from a seller in New York went missing even though it was trackable through the USPS system. Some weeks later it showed on the tracking service as being back in New York. Next day though, it arrived at my door. On the package was a stamp stating that it had been "missent" to the Caribbean island of Montserrat!

post-9478-0-67624700-1413890428_thumb.jp

If only they'd arranged for me to collect it in person!

Social source share

I beg to differ.

I always get the buyer to claim because he can prove what he paid, whereas

I cant, for records I bought donkeys years ago.

Its always worked for me in the past.

Obviously the buyer has to co-operate.

I have wondered how it works if you can prove what you paid for it, and it was a greater amount than the sale price. I did have a conversation with a guy who deals in old digital watches, and he was having this problem. It was around the time that the PO started tightening up their claim system and we were discussing doing exactly as you say, having the buyer claim, because they had proof of purchase and more likely the greater amount. He was in the process of trying to claim for a watch he had sold for £750, but had paid over a grand, a year or so previous - and he had the bill.  I haven't seen him since, and never found out the outcome, but the PO had refused to pay the greater amount, and he was arguing the toss. 

Girf     

Social source share

I sold one on Ebay a while ago which didn`t arrive, it was sent signed for but lost by RM, I was the seller and the sender so I had the postal reciept and the Ebay listing to prove the costs. I used the RM on-line form and faxed them the proof of sale and postage which was about £35.00.

Within a fortnight I got an apology and a check for the full amount from Royal Mail.

I think you have to wait 28 days or so before you can claim but no problem getting refunded.

Social source share

Waste of your energy claiming from Royal Mail . They have tightened up on claims in the last year. 

You now need proof of value in the form of an official receipt for the item mailed , and IMHO having gone that route they still sometimes fail to pay up ...

It needs to be factored in prices for any selling techniques - just a unfortunate but necessary factor...

On a more positive note Mark - it will most likely return to sender . I have them return normally after 20 odd days or so - the royal mail  office  delivery office keeps them for 14 working days prior to returning to sender if remaining unclaimed.  

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

I had one go missing a couple of weeks ago, I normally keep the proof of postage for a few weeks but typically hadn't on this occasion and had emptied my wallet out only a few days before. Luckily it was only for £12 so just refunded the buyer. Will teach me to keep the PoP a bit longer in future though

Social source share

I have the receipt but to be honest like Glynn I looked into it and it's not worth my time as I would have to prove the value, my gripe is that I think the person has received it as if it was wrongly delivered or wrong address it would have come back to me

Social source share

Mark, shit happens and you've just gotta put up with it. The Post Office are not perfect as some of these comments testify, but the real problem is the chicanery some customers get up to, and on rare occasions, the odd dealer. I have never not had a record delivered and on the single occasion one went missing, it was stolen by a neighbour and seen in her flat. For records above a certain value, it makes sense to insure them against loss; to not do this increases the risk of losing out in terms of money, time and effort. I have been eBaying records with a partner for over three years and lost track of the excuses, wheezes, tricks and triple whammies. In fact, it's reaching the point when I don't want to sell via the mail, even though the vast majority of rare soul buyers are totally honest; the trouble is, just a small number of unscrupulous individuals spoil it for everyone else. Pick your customers with care and you won't go wrong.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I have the receipt but to be honest like Glynn I looked into it and it's not worth my time as I would have to prove the value, my gripe is that I think the person has received it as if it was wrongly delivered or wrong address it would have come back to me

Ask the buyer if he will co-operate with a claim, if he wont then I would be suspicious.

I've always done this and the buyer has always got a refund for total value.

Social source share

Spent 10 years buying from all corners of the world

Bought records from £1 to over £1000

At a guess I would say over 500 single items

One took over a month to arrive but turned out that the seller had been hospitalized

The global postal service was ace and gave me 100% delivery

Am I just a lucky guy - Of to get a lotto ticket  

Social source share

Cheers Kegsy. Have sent stuff all over very expensive stuff one which was supposed to be delivered within 3 days but took two weeks that had me worried, but it was insured. Just lucky really that only one item gone walkabout yeh right. From now on its signed for or not willing to send it

Social source share

I had one go missing a couple of weeks ago, I normally keep the proof of postage for a few weeks but typically hadn't on this occasion and had emptied my wallet out only a few days before. Luckily it was only for £12 so just refunded the buyer. Will teach me to keep the PoP a bit longer in future though

i keep mine for 1 month

Social source share

seller has to claim & unless you have a purchase receipt for item you will only get 4 or 6 postage stamps.it never changes so get yourself a receipt asap

if you have a reciept for either first or second class as a seller you are entitled to the full amount you sold it for plus postage back.......this after 15 days from date of postage............i have claimed on numerous occasions and that is always the case.

Social source share

if you have a reciept for either first or second class as a seller you are entitled to the full amount you sold it for plus postage back.......this after 15 days from date of postage............i have claimed on numerous occasions and that is always the case.

never ever with my claims.but mine have been clothes i sold on ebay.never lost a record yet

Social source share

I have only had one [ touch wood ] that did not arrive, this was recent the seller refunded me straight away, if I have to return one then I do it signed for. I think the service is good. I got one a few years back that arrived with a piece missing a small cheese wedge shape I informed the seller who said it must have been damaged in the post and that I should claim from RM but where was the missing piece I asked, it must have dropped out when unpacking or in transit he said. :no: I don't think so.

Social source share

never ever with my claims.but mine have been clothes i sold on ebay.never lost a record yet

Funnily enough the last thing I claimed for was for a windcheater i sold on ebay. I didn't have the original receipt, but sent the proof of what it sold for, which was about £26. I also had proof of postage. The RM sent me a cheque for £22.80, which was £20 compensation, and £2.80 postage.

Ok, it was slightly less than the price it sold for on ebay, but it was most of my money back !

Social source share

Sent one (via ebay) to Mexico and he's claiming he never received it. He has 5 feedback I have 2,656.  Paypal have held the money, do you think I'll get the money back? I have the postal receipt but I bet the Royal Mail will say it's all down to the Mexican P O ...or will I get a refund off Royal Mail?? 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!