Pitches/phoenix....20 Yrs Since

Lfcjunkie

'Kinel!! 20 years!

Pitches was perfect & Phoenix phantastic. My favourite times. 

Marie Franklin, Being In Love Ain't Easy off Gary for a fiver. Oh yes. (And many, many more similar besides)....

Tomorrows Wish, My Love With You.... not heard that out since I don't think..... Criminal! Diggin it out now as I type.....

Didn't we end up 'upstairs' at Phoenix? It's a bit hazy now.... :-)

20 years? Insane. 

Hi Steve,

Yes mate, we ended up upstairs!

No idea how many we did up there, but I always liked that room. Downstairs was huge and difficult to fill for our type of music, but moving from Pitches to Phoenix gave us the extra hour that people begged us for. The upstairs room was a nice compromise, but it seems every venue has a life span and it can't have lasted more than a few months.

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

One of my favourite tunes from Pitches was by Skip Mahoney but I can't remember any details. Can anyone shed any light?

Pretty sure it was Sean that used to play it.

I'd picked this up on a limited edition CD in Baltimore.

The shop I bought it from were the only place selling it at the time.

The title was 'Overnight Success' but I used to announce it as 'Send Your Love Back To Me'.

Which I guess could make it the first instance of a CD 'cover up', lol.

It was certainly a very big tune at Pitches / Phoenix and Soul Essence etc, at the time.

Sean

Social source share

Guest Ivor Jones

Canal Tavern, Thorne, was easily the best venue in the country for a very long while; when under Gary and Steve Kilgour and later under the auspice of Rod Dearlove.

The playlist from those years set the bedrock and tone of the 'crossover' scene for years to come.

Rod Dearlove, to me, was one of the very best collector / DJ's.

He always displayed excellent taste and wit. A great entertainer on all levels.

Proud to say Rod worked for us at The Phoenix in Dec 1998 - Can't remember if he did Pitches or not? Guys, can you recall? (I do know I only got to work at his venue, Thorne, the once, so I guess that was about right :D). 

I think Dec '98 was the last night, from memory!

See photograph & flyer of the night below!

Superb!

Sean

Sean. About that photo…..What on earth is Dearlove doing to Kev Briscoe ?

Edited by Ivor Jones
Social source share

Seems to be mate.  If you see one give us a shout.

I'll do that Buddy. At the time I bought it only 'Roadhouse' in Baltimore were stocking it. Skip was a regular customer there (probably still is) and left them a handful to sell.

They are now online. Might be worth an email!

https://www.roadhouseoldies.com/

Either way, will definitely keep a look out mate.

Cheers,

Sean

• Helpful 3
Social source share

I got two copies of the CD via Skip himself, who put me in touch with a local store to sort the payment etc. It was well over 10 years back, could be a lot more!

I've been trying to see who it was, but not found any info as yet - it could well have been Roadhouse themselves, it was pre PayPal, but I don't think I sent cash either, probably that one where they sent a cheque from the U.S. and you paid them via  your card? I forget now!

The CD title was Then, now and forever, same as the one on CD Baby, but with more tracks. I thought Sean's CD was a couple of years earlier than this one - titled something like "Now"?  Without the older things on.

No spare copy though, it was spoken for before I got it  :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I loved these days, everything seemed so fresh to me.

I still have my Aleshure 45 too. Great tune.

Chris

Ditto Chris...the brand new stuff played was still real soul nowt else dj's  didn't resort to playing house music etc for brand new soul..got the Aleshure 45 too..

dave L

Edited by lfcjunkie
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I'll do that Buddy. At the time I bought it only 'Roadhouse' in Baltimore were stocking it. Skip was a regular customer there (probably still is) and left them a handful to sell.

They are now online. Might be worth an email!

https://www.roadhouseoldies.com/

Either way, will definitely keep a look out mate.

Cheers,

Sean

And me...after chalky please Sean :D

dave L

Social source share

Glad you all agree about the Skip Mahoney tune chaps!

Another thing I really loved about the Pitches/Phoenix was that there was a lot of "Southern Soul" played in amongst crossover tunes etc. Mind you that was back in the days when you could buy anything with a Malaco label blind without worrying! Loved all the southern stuff like Ronnie Lovejoy, Mel Waiters, King Ernest , Sheba Potts Wright etc!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Glad you all agree about the Skip Mahoney tune chaps!

Another thing I really loved about the Pitches/Phoenix was that there was a lot of "Southern Soul" played in amongst crossover tunes etc. Mind you that was back in the days when you could buy anything with a Malaco label blind without worrying! Loved all the southern stuff like Ronnie Lovejoy, Mel Waiters, King Ernest , Sheba Potts Wright etc!

Couldn't have put that better ...no house /garage etc...know what you mean with malaco ..ecko and ichiban to name a couple more...the stuff mike ward played in first hour was ace on tiny independent labels straight out the USA...didn't Chull used to help him out behind the decks?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...

Well, here it is at last, the second in a series of only three 'cassettes' we gave away at Pitches, way back in December 1995. Memory jerkers for some folk and perhaps something new for others, I hope you'll enjoy listening:

Featuring tracks chosen by Kev Briscoe Sean Hampsey Andy Tats Taylor and myself.

https://www.mixcloud.com/JohnBenson/soul-solution-pitches-tape-2/

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Canal Tavern, Thorne, was easily the best venue in the country for a very long while; when under Gary and Steve Kilgour and later under the auspice of Rod Dearlove.

The playlist from those years set the bedrock and tone of the 'crossover' scene for years to come.

Rod Dearlove, to me, was one of the very best collector / DJ's.

He always displayed excellent taste and wit. A great entertainer on all levels.

Proud to say Rod worked for us at The Phoenix in Dec 1998 - Can't remember if he did Pitches or not? Guys, can you recall? (I do know I only got to work at his venue, Thorne, the once, so I guess that was about right :D). 

I think Dec '98 was the last night, from memory!

See photograph & flyer of the night below!

Superb!

Sean

Social source share

The Canal Tavern was and still is a fantastic soul venue. Now run brilliantly in a similar vein by Maria O and my old friend Arthur Fenn. If you enjoyed Pitches, Phoenix and Thorne previously, give it a go, you won't be disappointed. It's now called Boomerang incidentally.

Incidentally, it was the first place that I can ever remember having Caffrey's on draught. This was in the old days when it was around 5% in strength. Usually 6-8 of us would go up from Barnsley, all couples. It took the wives about three years to work out that every time the Canal Tavern was on, it was their turn to drive! Great times.

Edited by John Everard
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 months later...

Soul Solution Sampler, Volume 3

Completing the Soul Solution series, here is the third and final 'sampler tape' - in digital format, that was given away in December 1996.

As with the others, this isn't just a copy from the cassette tape, but a recording of all the tracks direct from their original format & 'lovingly remastered' !!!

The tracks chosen between the four of us, Sean Hampsey, Kev Briscoe, Andy Tats Taylor and myself.

I hope you'll enjoy it:

https://www.mixcloud.com/JohnBenson/soul-solution-pitches-tape-3/

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Completing the Soul Solution series, here is the third and final 'sampler tape' - in digital format, that was given away in December 1996.

As with the others, this isn't just a copy from the cassette tape, but a recording of all the tracks direct from their original format & 'lovingly remastered' !!!

The tracks chosen between the four of us, Sean Hampsey, Kev Briscoe, Andy Tats Taylor and myself.

I hope you'll enjoy it:

Nice one John. Can you show the playlist?

Cheers,

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I've got Rod down as DJ along with Bob Cosby & Gavin Page for the Saturday April 5th 1997 opening night at the Phoenix.

Kev has some info as well, he might be able to check if Rod did Pitches, but I can't see any mention in the stuff I have and certainly don't remember!  :P

Last one was actually Friday August 28th 1999... according to the flyer I have  :D

I think I came to that one with Gavin. After Gavin's set we drove down to Dave T's Gloucester all niter - got stopped by the police on the M1!

Peter

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I hope you'll enjoy it:

Cracking John - playing it now.

Thanks for taking the time.

Peter :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Playlist here folks - I hadn't forgotten! :P

Soul Solution tape 3

VOL 3 SIDE ONE

GEORGE BENSON - “My Woman's Good To Me” - (A & M)
TOMMY TATE - “If You Got To Love Somebody” -  (KoKo - JAP C.D. )
LUTHER INGRAM - “Trying To Find My Love” - (KoKo)
ANNETTE POINDEXTER - “Wayward Dreams” - (TwiNight)
MARVIN GAYE - “My Love For You” - (Motown)
GLORIA JONES - “Look What You Started” - (Minit)
GENE CHANDLER & BARBARA ACKLIN - “Will I Find Love” - (MCA)
The MINITS - “Still A Part Of Me”- (Sounds Of Memphis)
C.L. BLAST - “Love Don't Feel Like Love No More” - (Cotillion)
ANGELO BOND - “Reach For The Moon” - (ABC)
JERRY BUTLER  - “Stop Steppin' On My Dreams” - (Mercury)
JOHNNY TAYLOR  - “A Love To Call Mine” - (Malaco)
The MIGHTY CLOUDS of JOY  - “I'm Ready” - (ATR)
ALESHURE - “Shower The World” - (ATR)

SIDE TWO

VIRGIL HENRY - “You Ain't Sayin' Nothing New” - (Colossus)
PAT BROWN  - “Don't Get Off On Me” - (Ace)
MARCIA HINES  - “You Gotta Let Go” - (Wizard)
DYNELLS  - “Call On Me” - (Atco)
BARBARA MASON - “You Better Stop It”- (Arctic)
BRENDA and the TABULATIONS - “That's In The Past” - (Dionn)
WILLIAM BELL - “Somebody's Gonna Get Hurt” - (Stax)
TRAMMPS - “I Know That Feeling”- (Golden Fleece)
PARKES STEWART - “All In The Name Of Love” - (Paradigm)
SKIP MAHONEY - “Send Your Love To Me” - (Wonder Watt)
FABULOUS SHALIMARS - “Playing A Losing Game”- (Cotillion)
OTIS CLAY - “Brand New Thing” - (Hi)
J. W. McGEE  - “What You Trying To Do To Me ” - (Scorpio)
BOBBY WOMACK - “Give It Up” - (Arista)

Release Date: 27/12/96

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!