The Best £5 Record In Your Play Box?

Citizen P

Not been keepin` up,with this thread............the title is;"the best £5 record" biggrin.gif

Best Ken

don't be pedantic!

in the first post, the ante is upped to a tenner!

so there!

Social source share

• Replies 80
  • Views 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

don't be pedantic!

in the first post, the ante is upped to a tenner!

so there!

:)

As Baz would say,change the title then :thumbsup: i said i wasnt up to thread!!.

Carry on thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Five Stairsteps - Change of pace (This started getting a few spins a while back down south, it seems to have gone a bit quiet again now)

Good call. Lots of the stairsteps stuff is great to dance to, and dead cheap. On ebay now you could pick several of their 45s up for under £20 the lot..

Playgirls Love

https://cgi.ebay.com/THE-FIVE-STAIRSTEPS-US...1QQcmdZViewItem

The Girl I Love

https://cgi.ebay.com/The-Five-Stairsteps-No...1QQcmdZViewItem

Aint Gonna Rest

https://cgi.ebay.com/NORTHERN-SOUL-THE-FIVE...1QQcmdZViewItem

But this one is the most astonishingly soulful of all...

Social source share

Depends on what you class as a £5 tune, what you paid for it then or now coz I remember Pete Crampton getting the Brooks Brothers off of Manship for a fiver :thumbsup: Alot of my collection I paid a fiver for years back (Pennies in some cases) but then they aint worth that now! Shame the prices of good collectables are soo much nowdays.

Ok got these for £4 the other week, Howard Tate - Half a man, Little Milton - I Know What I Want, Clarence Murray - Dont talk like that

Now looking on Manships he rates them at alot more!!! Again its the what you rate as a five pound record yourself isnt it :ohmy:

"Clarence Murray"- Now thats anice tune

Social source share

There are many good records that can be had for a £5 but a couple that do it for me are:-

The Trammps - Where do we go from here - Golden Fleece.

Al Kent - The way you been acting lately - Ric Tic. (I know dealers may be looking for a bit more than a £5 but hey defo only a £5 record but the cream of Detroit)

Regards

Alan

Social source share

These would find there way into my play-box,at some point,all obtained in the last few months,most at nighter`s :ohmy: £10 or less!!.

1;once;L Hale;Diamond promo......seen issues,at £40. £5

2;if that aint loving you/standing on the inside;L Charles;Revue......awesome bit of plastic :lol: £5

3;part time love/fool are not born;C Reid;Alston..so good i got two :thumbsup: different designs...£4+£3

4;the spoiler;E Purrell;Stax..........classic,old time soul. £4

6;whats a matter baby;T Yuro;Liberty audition copy..........allways loved this.£5

7;show me;K Lester;Pete promo..........nice bit less than £10

8;the man i love;M Stewart;R promo.........never heard this before,will be if ever :( £3 last weekend.

9;stop that lyin`;C Saunders;Edit promo........strong R+B,great sax break £5+

10;you`re the cause of it;the Angels;RCA promo........nice,old style northern £10-

11;i`ll be loving you forever/train keep movin`;Liberty....... do i have to explain?,£7

All reall,if anybody needs a scan,or file.........just ask.

11 good reasons,to attend allnighters :lol: got dozens of things like this,just keep looking in the boxes,they`re there..................oh and quiet a few nice 7ts through to present.

:D

Edited by ken
Social source share

hi ken, take it ya dint buy any othose corkers from a dealer then, cos most of em would be 20 quiders whistling.gif , and wouldn,t qualify for this thread eh.

best, bri.

Most of em`,just outa` small boxes,but a couple off thikc dealers :thumbsup: and Mr Cheap Chapman,great feller :lol:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest chipsman

Jimmy James & the vagabonds- Want you so much Uk Pye This will be a monster and the gasher played it at the Big lock and people were asking what it was and were suprised to hear its the b-side of abig hit.

Now is the time- to buy this before it gets hiked price by a bloody price guide!

Apparently a big play early in the year for our European brothers ( nice pic sleeve available aswell )

chipsman

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I must have dropped a cod somewhere cos I have both A piece of Gold and Ain't nothing you can do. Honey Child aint on either blush.gif

Tony

:rolleyes:

'Aint nothing you can do' has 'Do what you set out to do' on the A side?

What's on the flip of the Piece of Gold 45?

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest chipsman

bit of background first.

at Christmas we was asked to do a Motown & Sixties Soul Night, so i had to pick up afew of the more well known tunes.so i Picked this up at the record fair and was asked by a mate(Albert"Jock" Herron) "what you buying that for?", so I told him.

"Well play the other side"

So I did, and thought I like this, how've I missed it?

Now, whenI play it out, It

1) Fills the floor

2) Has folk running up asking what it is.

Not bad for four quids :rolleyes:

Oh, its The Tams--Take Away--b side to Hey Girl Don't Bother Me.

So what's your best cheap 'un.?

Let's say under a tenner.

If we are talking current value the underated Fantastic Four -As long as i live

For an overlooked 'b' side try the modern sound of Rufus & Chaka Khan -What am i missing on MCA . If we are talking best buy for under a tenner then a copy of the Kittens - Wait a minute on Vick for £3 'cos its definitely a pressing' or the Drizzabone - Conspiracy L.P.from my local Oxfam , which i still feel embaressed about taking the penny change for from my £1.50

neezer

Social source share

bit of background first.

at Christmas we was asked to do a Motown & Sixties Soul Night, so i had to pick up afew of the more well known tunes.so i Picked this up at the record fair and was asked by a mate(Albert"Jock" Herron) "what you buying that for?", so I told him.

"Well play the other side"

So I did, and thought I like this, how've I missed it?

Now, whenI play it out, It

1) Fills the floor

2) Has folk running up asking what it is.

Not bad for four quids smile.gif

Oh, its The Tams--Take Away--b side to Hey Girl Don't Bother Me.

So what's your best cheap 'un.?

Let's say under a tenner.

Under a Tenner you say,ARETHA FRANKLIN / ROCK WITH ME Luvly Tune. :rolleyes:

Ebeneezer

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently a big play early in the year for our European brothers ( nice pic sleeve available aswell )

chipsman

====================

Just picked this up at a fair for a quid - have to say its a crackin' little 45. This & the Johnny Johnson Stateside B Side are two under-rated (and over looked due to the 'A' sides) SOUL 45s !

:D to Ernie Andrews (I think) for the tip - this is what Soul Source is about!

ATB

Rich

Social source share

Not been keepin` up,with this thread............the title is;"the best £5 record" :D

Jim Gilstrap 'Love Talk' on Roxbury :unsure: The Dogs Nadgers.

All for the cost of Fish,Chips,Peas and 3 Scallops from the West End Fish Bar last night :thumbsup:

Social source share

Edwin Starr - Running Back and Forth.

Well it only cost me a fiver recently. Another one of those records that makes you wonder why you haven't had it for years

HI KIRSTY

BET YOU BOUGHT IT FOR THE OTHER SIDE EH :thumbsup:

YOU DON'T KID ME :unsure:

Social source share

Jim Gilstrap 'Love Talk' on Roxbury :unsure: The Dogs Nadgers.

All for the cost of Fish,Chips,Peas and 3 Scallops from the West End Fish Bar last night :thumbsup:

=================================================================

Second that one! Voices recc. strike again. An artist I've over looked for some reason until brought to my attention. Nice moody group cheapie picked up recently -

TRUE REFLECTION - Whisper (ATCO) -

ATB

Rich

Social source share

Guest ruffsounds

Heres one for you picked it up last week for £4 and in my opinion a great track, one that people dont seem to know about till now, played it out at Nuneaton on Sat and it sounds great on a big system.

It could do something if the right people play it.

Dunn & Bruce Street--Moment Of Truth

Social source share

Picked up a Deon Jackson-Love makes the world go round-Carla @ last Cardiff all-niter for £5, a record I'd always passed up without blinking, I am now a big Deon fan. The record in my humble opinion is one of those that on hearing, can turn a frown into a smile :unsure:

Certainly the best cheapie I think I've ever bought, and one that means a great deal to me :thumbsup:

Social source share

I have to agree with some of the guys before -

The Five Stairsteps 'Playgirls Love' - I picked this up for a fiver in a local record stall (he had 3 of them at the time) around February and have played it every time I've DJ'd since.

A really excellent tune at a bargain price.

Dave

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert