Do these count as demos

Stateside

I've had these since they were released and got them from a radio dj back in the 70's. He got pretty much everything issued in the UK during that time.

The James Fountain is clearly just stamped and google images doesn't seem to throw up any other versions other than the issue.

The Eddie Spencer search throws up some with an "A" and some without.

Are they demos, or not..................and I know what you're thinking..............who really cares.

Kev

James Fountain.jpg

Eddie Spencer.jpg

Social source share

Reminds me of the NOT FOR SALE stickers on some of the EMI lables, Baby Recosider and Sexy Sugar Plum come to mind.

BTW  how were demos of the molded lables Chess, All Platinum Polydor ect. denoted?

Also WEA had a habit of putting large A's on the a side of a single, thets thrown a few people in the past.

Howya doin' Kev, fancy the Sink on Sunday?

Social source share

14 minutes ago, sjclement said:

Reminds me of the NOT FOR SALE stickers on some of the EMI lables, Baby Recosider and Sexy Sugar Plum come to mind.

BTW  how were demos of the molded lables Chess, All Platinum Polydor ect. denoted?

Also WEA had a habit of putting large A's on the a side of a single, thets thrown a few people in the past.

Howya doin' Kev, fancy the Sink on Sunday?

The only promo copy I've got on a moulded 7" single is this one..................which plays at 33rpm but at least has Cissy Houston on it!

I've got plenty with "A's" on them but they're not demos

The sink sounds like a goer for me on Sunday. I'll pm you later in the week and make arrangements

Kev

DJ Maxi.jpg

Social source share

2 hours ago, stateside said:

I've had these since they were released and got them from a radio dj back in the 70's. He got pretty much everything issued in the UK during that time.

The James Fountain is clearly just stamped and google images doesn't seem to throw up any other versions other than the issue.

The Eddie Spencer search throws up some with an "A" and some without.

Are they demos, or not..................and I know what you're thinking..............who really cares.

Kev

James Fountain.jpg

Eddie Spencer.jpg

Yes. I care 'cos I collect promos. The James Fountain stamped promos are rare believe me!

Ian D :)

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The James Fountain is definitely a genuine promo copy as it was one of the ones I stamped with a rubber stamp back in 75. The promotional copies were sent out to radio stations and all the music magazines as well as some DJs who were on the mailing list . I sent each DJ at Radio 1 a copy addressed to them personally to make sure they got one. Some were also sent to music companies and distributors as we were trying to get a national distribution deal. Each copy would have had a press release with it . I can't remember how many were done as they were taken from stock copies when needed. The figure of 50 quoted above is probably about right but could have been more, but not over 75. 

The contract for the record included a clause that allowed 1 in 10 for promotional use . I think this was standard practice at the time as the contract was copied from another agreement, William Bell didn't object. I'm not sure if there was a tax rule about this as I didn't deal with that side of things.

I didn't keep a promo myself but have a Showstoppers with its press release. The other record in the picture is a James Fountain test pressing. There were three copies of each release done. They aren't much to look at, the record manufacturer didn't use a nice label for the test pressings.

Ric-Tic, I don't have the press release for JF and would really like to see a scan of the one you have.

Rick

DSCF8326.thumb.JPG.89ef9078cf54b92633171

DSCF8327.JPG

• Helpful 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Rick Cooper said:

The James Fountain is definitely a genuine promo copy as it was one of the ones I stamped with a rubber stamp back in 75. The promotional copies were sent out to radio stations and all the music magazines as well as some DJs who were on the mailing list . I sent each DJ at Radio 1 a copy addressed to them personally to make sure they got one. Some were also sent to music companies and distributors as we were trying to get a national distribution deal. Each copy would have had a press release with it . I can't remember how many were done as they were taken from stock copies when needed. The figure of 50 quoted above is probably about right but could have been more, but not over 75. 

The contract for the record included a clause that allowed 1 in 10 for promotional use . I think this was standard practice at the time as the contract was copied from another agreement, William Bell didn't object. I'm not sure if there was a tax rule about this as I didn't deal with that side of things.

I didn't keep a promo myself but have a Showstoppers with its press release. The other record in the picture is a James Fountain test pressing. There were three copies of each release done. They aren't much to look at, the record manufacturer didn't use a nice label for the test pressings.

Ric-Tic, I don't have the press release for JF and would really like to see a scan of the one you have.

Rick

Thanks Rick,

Not only do I get the answer, but I get it from the horse's mouth, so to speak.

Kev

Social source share

5 hours ago, Alan Bonthrone1 said:

Do you still have the stamp ?

Alan

Not got the stamp anymore, it probably got chucked away when Global packed up.

Remembered something else I've got from those days. A Seven Day Lover "silver disc". For some reason the pressing company sent us the the first set of metal stampers for the record when the second set was made for the next pressing. Ed Balbier thought it would look good if we stuck a label on it and got it framed. It looked like the real thing on the office wall even though it was a fake.

I've not seen it for over thirty years but maybe I should dig it out get some white Special Advance Release labels with a big red "A" on , press up a couple of dozen copies, give them to select people and see what happens. :wink:

Rick

• Helpful 2
Social source share

58 minutes ago, Triode said:

Rick

out of interest approx how many would Global of pressed of a typical release?

any truth in the story of a UK Peachtree label?

James Fountain initial pressing was 5000, then another 5000 after a few weeks then I think another 1000 later on. Other releases were 1000 initially but I don't remember which, if any had a second 1000. Johnny Jones- Purple Haze was withdrawn after Decca claimed Brunswick still owned it, not William Bell who licensed it to Global. In hindsight it was perhaps a good idea not to clash with Nat Tarnopol at Brunswick and his Italian friends.

The Peachtree Mitty Collier record was pressed in the UK for a customer in The Netherlands. A few (less than ten) were sold by Derek Howe at HMV in Manchester.

Rick

DSCF8328.thumb.JPG.b814c886abdb87e87dd0a

Social source share

On 2/16/2016 at 22:57, Rick Cooper said:

Rick

DSCF8326.thumb.JPG.89ef9078cf54b92633171

DSCF8327.JPG

How could you not keep a James Fountain promo for yourself Rick! It's one of my most valued promos. :)

I also have a James Fountain UK TP - one of 5 done for the Northern Soul film Record Store Day release.

I think William Bell did pretty well out of "Seven Day Lover" didn't he?

Social source share

17 hours ago, Rick Cooper said:

Alan

Not got the stamp anymore, it probably got chucked away when Global packed up.

Remembered something else I've got from those days. A Seven Day Lover "silver disc". For some reason the pressing company sent us the the first set of metal stampers for the record when the second set was made for the next pressing. Ed Balbier thought it would look good if we stuck a label on it and got it framed. It looked like the real thing on the office wall even though it was a fake.

I've not seen it for over thirty years but maybe I should dig it out get some white Special Advance Release labels with a big red "A" on , press up a couple of dozen copies, give them to select people and see what happens. :wink:

Rick

I think I see what you donr there.

Social source share

21 hours ago, Ian Dewhirst said:

How could you not keep a James Fountain promo for yourself Rick! It's one of my most valued promos. :)

I also have a James Fountain UK TP - one of 5 done for the Northern Soul film Record Store Day release.

I think William Bell did pretty well out of "Seven Day Lover" didn't he?

At the time I wasn't that bothered about the Cream promos as they weren't that special so never kept a James Fountain. A white label US Peachtree demo of Seven Day Lover would be nice but as far as I know doesn't exist. Maybe they just used stock copies for promotion.

Rick

Social source share

On 2/16/2016 at 18:18, stateside said:

The only promo copy I've got on a moulded 7" single is this one..................which plays at 33rpm but at least has Cissy Houston on it!

I've got plenty with "A's" on them but they're not demos

The sink sounds like a goer for me on Sunday. I'll pm you later in the week and make arrangements

Kev

DJ Maxi.jpg

Somebody at Phonogram couldn't spell, I mean DETRIOT Emeralds, come on, where's Quality Control when you need it. :wink:
By the way, I've got about 5 or 6 of these DJ Promo Maxi things, were they actually released or only intended for Radio Stations and the like, to help promote up and coming Lp releases?

On 2/16/2016 at 18:20, sjclement said:

I think you'll find the Detroit Emeralds is the deal breaker on that one, Kev.:ohmy:

Hmmm? I like both, as well as Don Covay's funky version of Money on the flip. :thumbsup:

Social source share

On 18 February 2016 at 14:34, Ringleader said:

There are a few copies of Eddie Spencer on popsike with a push out centre and no large "A"

https://www.45cat.com/label/power-exchange

it looks like all releases up to Jan 1976 have an "A" with "demo record" text, and then there's a change in the catalogue numbers and it switches to the smaller "A" with no "demo" text. So... most likely demos.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!