Charles Diamond And The Inspirations - Breakthrough - Reply From Charles Diamond - Priceless

Having listened to the 1977 re issue or whatever you want to call it, IMO there is no way that this record was recorded in 1977, the backing track is just not of that period, an email from Andy Rix who is not a member of 'Soul Source' pretty much confirms this and when he replies to my request to cut and paste his comments and observations i will do so.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

• Replies 84
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Mark,

The "rules" for Rare Soul have never changed. Just the people who are involved in it. You know the answer to your question otherwise you wouldn't be sort of "seeking approval", you'd just do it. "Thin edge of the wedge" comes to mind....but then you know that, that's why you asked the question in the first place eh? wink.gif

Sorry to buck the general trend of the thread but there you go. :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

www.soulclub.org

www.deancourtney.com

Dave, I'm not seeking approval from anyone mate certainly not you and i mean that in the nicest possible way, i simply asked the question without commiting the crime of god forbid breaking the unwritten rules of a select few if infact this record breaks those rules?, it turns out that there were infact at least three takes of the song originally recorded, the one sided promo version 'Original' is a different mix with possibly a different lead singer? the 1977 re - issue or whatever you wish to call it was also recorded in the 60's but is a Stereo mix, when Andy Rix allows me to post the email he sent me it will all be a little clearer...lol Yes Dave of course i know the answer when it comes to the playing of non originals and you know i don't do that, again i was simply trying to find out if the 45 in question is authentic in terms of it's origin rather than being pressed up by any Tom, Dick, Harry or Simon...lol as most of the so called re - issues were in the past, and on reflection perhaps seeking feedback, opinion and yes maybe approval, a great mix of a great song is the basis of my original post.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Hi Mark,

Probably a poor choice of phrase on my part, Mate.

Regards,

Dave

www.therestahtbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

www.soulclub.org

www.deancourtney.com

Respect Dave, as always mate, the information from Andy Rix is first generation and from the source so i will be posting that up later, also we need to get Neil Rushton's input on this one as he seems to know the story behind this one.....Neil over to you?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Having listened to the 1977 re issue or whatever you want to call it, IMO there is no way that this record was recorded in 1977, the backing track is just not of that period, an email from Andy Rix who is not a member of 'Soul Source' pretty much confirms this and when he replies to my request to cut and paste his comments and observations i will do so.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Which is more or less what I said to you an hour back, definitely a 60's recording

Social source share

the same planet as you pete - put one up fopr auction on your site or ebay it with a sound file son

watch it go

:thumbsup:

No offence Paul but I think the customers who've stuck with me for this long deserve a bit more respect than me putting up a common pressing and then asking them to bid for it. The last one I had was £15 set sale and it went to the first person to shout up. I won't auction anything unless I genuinely don't know the price. If you're just selling to anyone who comes onto your website then I understand why you are doing auctions, but I've got a miling list of a couple of thousand people to look after and it just wouldn't wash with them.

Social source share

that is quite right pete you have a duty to your customers to a certain point,but ocassionally you can move the boundaries around you.

we all have different ideas and methods of selling which makes us all unique.

you have to give love to receive love

the love man..

Social source share

that is quite right pete you have a duty to your customers to a certain point,but ocassionally you can move the boundaries around you.

we all have different ideas and methods of selling which makes us all unique.

you have to give love to receive love

the love man..

I tried it once before, I got called a money grabbing you know what, blimey I even had over a dozen people leave the list just because I told them I would no longer reserve records because I was getting left with so many (i.e. an enquiry equals an order), funny so-and-so's.

Social source share

Which is more or less what I said to you an hour back, definitely a 60's recording

I know Pete thanks for your reply, i never had any doubt that the second version was recorded in the 60's and Andy Rix's comments and knowledge will confirm this, fun this ain't it, sad but fun....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

https://cgi.ebay.com/NORTHERN-SOUL-INSPIRAT...1QQcmdZViewItem

Well unless demand has increased these past two weeks less than £20 seems to be going rate.

I seem to remember back in 70's buyers were disappointed cos it wasn't the version played in the first place.

How are my CD dubs coming along Mark? Sat is last time I'll see you to pick them up.

ROD

Edited by modernsoulsucks
Social source share

https://cgi.ebay.com/NORTHERN-SOUL-INSPIRAT...1QQcmdZViewItem

Well unless demand has increased these past two weeks less than £20 seems to be going rate.

I seem to remember back in 70's buyers were disappointed cos it wasn't the version played in the first place.

How are my CD dubs coming along Mark? Sat is last time I'll see you to pick them up.

ROD

Very well thank you very much Mr Shard, see you Saturday.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Below is the content from a couple of emails from Andy Rix, i trust his judgement on this as Andy's attention to detail and information is spot on i.e. his Shrine Records contributions and findings over the years, pretty much from the horses mouth you might say. Mark,Simon Twiddy popped round to see me last night & we had a conversation about the Inspirations on Breakthrough which you had raised on 'Soul Source'. I'm not a member of the site so unable to post anything but I thought I'd let you know what I know. Neil Rushton is really the person to ask about the deal on the 77 Charles Diamond version but I had a number of conversations with Joey Jefferson and these are my recollections of them. Joey said that he did still have the master tapes on the track having recorded at least 3 different versions with different group members on lead to see which take, using the same backing track, came out best. I have the group line up but can't look at it just now. He said that he pressed it up as a single sided 'promo' on Breakthrough to get some local interest and then decided he would use it as the flip of 'You'll Never Make The Grade' on Mutt n'Jeff ... in essence the Sunlovers & Inspirations were the same group. He never really gave a reason as to why this didn't happen other than "things change" My gut feeling, purely based on assumptions of mine, is that the Inspirations were a 4 man line-up, the pic of the Sunlovers shows a 3 man line-up. I wouldn't be surprised if Johnny Hendley departed to be a solo artist, on Mutt n'Jeff & then as John & Weirdest, and this led to a group name change and Joey's decision not to use the Johnny led version on a Sunlovers 45 ..... I don't know if this is true and I didn't ask Charles or Joey this specific question. It doesn't sound totally stupid though !!! The Inspirations did include Johnny Hendley and Charles Pennywell aka Charles Diamond aka Charles Perry (How Can I Keep From Crying) .... and it is Johnny Hendley who sings lead on the original version pressed (not released as promo only) at the end of 1967. The 77 Charles Diamond version, as I believe from my conversations with Joey Jefferson & Charles, was cut at the 60s session & is therefore one of the 3 different lead vocal versions recorded by Joey. It is not Joey getting Charles back in the studio some 10 years later. The 77 version is in stereo but if compared side by side is the same backing track as the Breakthrough version. It just sounds slightly different because it's been mixed in stereo etc etc.... this confirms the statement made by Joey regarding using different lead singers Charles has heard both versions & has confirmed Johnny as the lead on the Breakthrough version. The 77 version is therefore a legal issue, by the label owner, of a previously unreleased take and can therefore be viewed as an original, in its own right and certainly not a bootleg in any way shape or form. I was just thinking about the stereo mix comments I made ... just to clarify, when recorded in 67 it would have been a 3 or 4 or 8 track master ... this would have been mixed to mono for pressing as was totally common practie at that time. When the 77 version was released they would have of course taken the master & been able to mix a 'stereo', or non-mono, take as there were enough 'tracks' on the tape to do it ... does that make sense ?? Anyway to really know we need Neil Rushton to tell us what really happened :-) The Inspiratrions were Johnny, Charles, Robert Tisby & Eddie Le'Jay (deceased) Regards - Andy Rix.

Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(mark.b @ Oct 3 2006, 06:45 PM) link
ginger had one originally and sold it to m koppel i think then he bought it back first time martin sold up dont know if he has still got it though

mark

Thats correct Mark. Ginger told me a couple of years ago that he paid a hell of a lot more to get it back than he sold it for.

ATB

Brian B

Social source share

Below is the content from a couple of emails from Andy Rix, i trust his judgement on this as Andy's attention to detail and information is spot on i.e. his Shrine Records contributions and findings over the years, pretty much from the horses mouth you might say. Mark,Simon Twiddy popped round to see me last night & we had a conversation about the Inspirations on Breakthrough which you had raised on 'Soul Source'. I'm not a member of the site so unable to post anything but I thought I'd let you know what I know. Neil Rushton is really the person to ask about the deal on the 77 Charles Diamond version but I had a number of conversations with Joey Jefferson and these are my recollections of them. Joey said that he did still have the master tapes on the track having recorded at least 3 different versions with different group members on lead to see which take, using the same backing track, came out best. I have the group line up but can't look at it just now. He said that he pressed it up as a single sided 'promo' on Breakthrough to get some local interest and then decided he would use it as the flip of 'You'll Never Make The Grade' on Mutt n'Jeff ... in essence the Sunlovers & Inspirations were the same group. He never really gave a reason as to why this didn't happen other than "things change" My gut feeling, purely based on assumptions of mine, is that the Inspirations were a 4 man line-up, the pic of the Sunlovers shows a 3 man line-up. I wouldn't be surprised if Johnny Hendley departed to be a solo artist, on Mutt n'Jeff & then as John & Weirdest, and this led to a group name change and Joey's decision not to use the Johnny led version on a Sunlovers 45 ..... I don't know if this is true and I didn't ask Charles or Joey this specific question. It doesn't sound totally stupid though !!! The Inspirations did include Johnny Hendley and Charles Pennywell aka Charles Diamond aka Charles Perry (How Can I Keep From Crying) .... and it is Johnny Hendley who sings lead on the original version pressed (not released as promo only) at the end of 1967. The 77 Charles Diamond version, as I believe from my conversations with Joey Jefferson & Charles, was cut at the 60s session & is therefore one of the 3 different lead vocal versions recorded by Joey. It is not Joey getting Charles back in the studio some 10 years later. The 77 version is in stereo but if compared side by side is the same backing track as the Breakthrough version. It just sounds slightly different because it's been mixed in stereo etc etc.... this confirms the statement made by Joey regarding using different lead singers Charles has heard both versions & has confirmed Johnny as the lead on the Breakthrough version. The 77 version is therefore a legal issue, by the label owner, of a previously unreleased take and can therefore be viewed as an original, in its own right and certainly not a bootleg in any way shape or form. I was just thinking about the stereo mix comments I made ... just to clarify, when recorded in 67 it would have been a 3 or 4 or 8 track master ... this would have been mixed to mono for pressing as was totally common practie at that time. When the 77 version was released they would have of course taken the master & been able to mix a 'stereo', or non-mono, take as there were enough 'tracks' on the tape to do it ... does that make sense ?? Anyway to really know we need Neil Rushton to tell us what really happened :-) The Inspiratrions were Johnny, Charles, Robert Tisby & Eddie Le'Jay (deceased) Regards - Andy Rix.

Pretty much what i thought,so why the fuss........it`s real :)

Social source share

This is the story...I got the very first copy of the record on one sided Breakthrough. in the UK, definitely before anyone else. It was around 1974.

It was sold to me by Bob Cattaneo from San Francisco. He played it me over the phone and charged me something like £30, the most I had ever played for a record at the time...it was like 2 weeks wages..

Later when I was DJ'ing at The Ritz it was one of my big records and the North Wales lot kept bugging me to sell it and I eventually relented and sold it for £120..which I instantly regretted..

I was always fond of the record and when I started importing and wholesaling records I spoke to Bob and he said he had been in touch with Joey Jefferson and could supply a repress of the record.

When the stock turned up I was totally bemused to get the different version with the credit to Charles Diamond.But it's a great version and I only ever had 1,000 copies and they are all originals of that version, when you think I found over 800 original Sassy copies of "If That's What You Wanted" and look what they fetch now I can't understand why the Charles Diamond version doesn't fetch money these days..

A few years Bill Baker and myself were in LA and we rang Joey Jefferson and he invited us over to his place and on the phone was as friendly as as anything. When we got there he got all moody and went mad about records on Mutt & Jeff that he owned and had been bottlegged for the UK.. I told him he should have a go at Simon Soussan not me and as I was the good guy who had -via Bob - done the right thing and paid for 1,000 copies of "No One ElseCan Take Your Place" he should be happy with me.

This calmed him down and I said look I had the first copy of the record in the UK and did he have another one I could buy? As Bill will tell you Mr Jefferson produced one. I offered him 50 dollars and he took it out into the shop next to his office (he also had a warehouse) and told the customers that this crazy English guy had offered him 50 dollars for a single.He wouldn't sell it me.

Joey then went back into the warehouse and came back into the office with a pile of records including what he told us was a box of 25 of "No One Else Can Take Your Place".If you put me on the spot now I can't swear if he opened the box or not...but at the time Bill and myself were convinced there were 25 copies of the single, and I am sure we saw at least a couple out of the box and he wouldn't even sell me one. I pointed out that he was wasting our time and he then went nuts and said he would sell us the box and licence some of his masters to Inferno but only if we flew him to London and sat him in front of Stephen James at DJM who was the only person he trusted in the UK!.

We declined his kind offer and things were getting a bit iffy and we had to tell Joey that we were in LA doing business with Eddie and Brian Holland and they knew where we had gone. At that stage we got our taxi.

I still feel gutted today that the record was so close...at some stage I told Tim Ashibendie the story in case it was a racist thing and maybe Tim would fare better but Tim never got anywhere either.,

Neil

Social source share

This is the story...I got the very first copy of the record on one sided Breakthrough. in the UK, definitely before anyone else. It was around 1974.

It was sold to me by Bob Cattaneo from San Francisco. He played it me over the phone and charged me something like £30, the most I had ever played for a record at the time...it was like 2 weeks wages..

Later when I was DJ'ing at The Ritz it was one of my big records and the North Wales lot kept bugging me to sell it and I eventually relented and sold it for £120..which I instantly regretted..

I was always fond of the record and when I started importing and wholesaling records I spoke to Bob and he said he had been in touch with Joey Jefferson and could supply a repress of the record.

When the stock turned up I was totally bemused to get the different version with the credit to Charles Diamond.But it's a great version and I only ever had 1,000 copies and they are all originals of that version, when you think I found over 800 original Sassy copies of "If That's What You Wanted" and look what they fetch now I can't understand why the Charles Diamond version doesn't fetch money these days..

A few years Bill Baker and myself were in LA and we rang Joey Jefferson and he invited us over to his place and on the phone was as friendly as as anything. When we got there he got all moody and went mad about records on Mutt & Jeff that he owned and had been bottlegged for the UK.. I told him he should have a go at Simon Soussan not me and as I was the good guy who had -via Bob - done the right thing and paid for 1,000 copies of "No One ElseCan Take Your Place" he should be happy with me.

This calmed him down and I said look I had the first copy of the record in the UK and did he have another one I could buy? As Bill will tell you Mr Jefferson produced one. I offered him 50 dollars and he took it out into the shop next to his office (he also had a warehouse) and told the customers that this crazy English guy had offered him 50 dollars for a single.He wouldn't sell it me.

Joey then went back into the warehouse and came back into the office with a pile of records including what he told us was a box of 25 of "No One Else Can Take Your Place".If you put me on the spot now I can't swear if he opened the box or not...but at the time Bill and myself were convinced there were 25 copies of the single, and I am sure we saw at least a couple out of the box and he wouldn't even sell me one. I pointed out that he was wasting our time and he then went nuts and said he would sell us the box and licence some of his masters to Inferno but only if we flew him to London and sat him in front of Stephen James at DJM who was the only person he trusted in the UK!.

We declined his kind offer and things were getting a bit iffy and we had to tell Joey that we were in LA doing business with Eddie and Brian Holland and they knew where we had gone. At that stage we got our taxi.

I still feel gutted today that the record was so close...at some stage I told Tim Ashibendie the story in case it was a racist thing and maybe Tim would fare better but Tim never got anywhere either.,

Neil

neil

old school stories from pioneers like you mate, are just awesome! when are you coming to dinner?

i especially like the one you told me, when you played cards, using the Sassy 45s as "chips" love it.. and some guy on this forum is saying the value of something, has dropped 'cause he thinks maybe 30 copies have been found???

that's only true, if there's only 29 collectors want to own it. John

Edited by john manship
Social source share

Neil

Priceless Neil, thanks for your knowledge and time on this one.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

From Mr Charles Diamond - Priceless Reply.

Mark, Thank you for your letter. I did lead vocals on the 1977 re issue of No One Else Can Take Your Place. I don't know anything about the masters on the records and yes Joey Jefferson did produce the re issue as well. I have both versions on CD, but I am afraid that I don't have any extra 45's to spare. John Hennley recorded the first version. I was in the studio then as well. I was a back up vocalist on the original version, then years down the line, Joey asked me to re record it which I agreed to. So, Mark this is all of the information I can remember about both of the recordings. Please feel free to let me know if you need further information. Thank You for your interest in my music.Charles Diamond...

Social source share

So after the 'Priceless Reply' do you feel like you'll be playing the record Mark?

I'd have said it was a great track to open your spot with... under the circumstances.

Set your stall out for a real 'gloves off' - damn the torpedoes' shit kickin' hour!

Wish I could be there to hear it!

All the best

ranting_1.gif

Sean Hampsey

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

So after the 'Priceless Reply' do you feel like you'll be playing the record Mark?

I'd have said it was a great track to open your spot with... under the circumstances.

Set your stall out for a real 'gloves off' - damn the torpedoes' shit kickin' hour!

Wish I could be there to hear it!

All the best

ranting_1.gif

Sean Hampsey

Sean, :shhh:

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Neil

Can you ring mr Jefferson and ask him about my version,"can i lick your wound" it was writen by him,as i remember. ranting_1.gif or something like that.

Social source share

Just one further detail, which I noticed when compiling my playlist from Whitley Bay last night.

The two records also have slightly different titles:

The one on orange Breakthrough is 'No One ELSE Can Take Your Place'

Whereas the Charles Diamond version is 'No One Can Take your Place'.

A minor detail I know, but there we are - two different versions with two different titles!

Peter

Social source share

Mark, Thank you for your letter. I did lead vocals on the 1977 re issue of No One Else Can Take Your Place. I don't know anything about the masters on the records and yes Joey Jefferson did produce the re issue as well. I have both versions on CD, but I am afraid that I don't have any extra 45's to spare. John Hennley recorded the first version. I was in the studio then as well. I was a back up vocalist on the original version, then years down the line, Joey asked me to re record it which I agreed to. So, Mark this is all of the information I can remember about both of the recordings. Please feel free to let me know if you need further information. Thank You for your interest in my music.Charles Diamond...

but don't mr diamond's comments suggest there WAS a re-recording? an overdubbed vocal perhaps?

macca

Edited by macca
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert