Loads & Loads Of Events

Logging on to the site this morning and something struck me again....the amount of postings in 'Events' ......loads and loads and loads.

Is anyone actually going to all these events? It really looks like overkill and I wonder if it gives a false impression as to how healthy the Northern Soul thing really is?

Not a critisism, just a question.

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

• Replies 58
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Logging on to the site this morning and something struck me again....the amount of postings in 'Events' ......loads and loads and loads.

Is anyone actually going to all these events? It really looks like overkill and I wonder if it gives a false impression as to how healthy the Northern Soul thing really is?

I know what you mean Simon.

On October 7th... the date of the last Soul or Nothing.. i counted 24 different venues in the the events section for that night... AND one weekender!!!

How mad's that?

Social source share

Never thought I would say this but I think there is now to much soul about........ to many venue's chasing to few punters means we have the Quantity!, but do we have the Quality??. rolleyes.gif

Social source share

The good venues will survive the bad wont you only have to look at the amount of promotions that run for a couple of nites then disapear or relocate.I can only speak for the events im involved in but our numbers are growing,that said we are in the heart of the north west which is traditionaly a huge catchment area.There are a number of clubs in this area doing very, well soul or nothing ,bury town hall,prestwich,lowton,twisted wheel,stockport guild hall etc which all are pretty much full every event.So to be honest in this area the scene is very healthy thumbsup.gif .

Social source share

The good venues will survive the bad wont you only have to look at the amount of promotions that run for a couple of nites then disapear or relocate.I can only speak for the events im involved in but our numbers are growing,that said we are in the heart of the north west which is traditionaly a huge catchment area.There are a number of clubs in this area doing very, well soul or nothing ,bury town hall,prestwich,lowton,twisted wheel,stockport guild hall etc which all are pretty much full every event.So to be honest in this area the scene is very healthy thumbsup.gif .

As you say Andy, loads come and go very quickly. The North West is still the heart of it all and works well. :D

The good ones will always survive, big or small.

When I see the bitching that goes on over Kev Roberts hugely successful events it makes me wonder how sour grapes can be !

Social source share

Never thought I would say this but I think there is now to much soul about........ to many venue's chasing to few punters means we have the Quantity!, but do we have the Quality??. rolleyes.gif

I've been saying for years that there are now too many venues and agree with too many chasing too few but how do you define quality?

Social source share

Its horses for courses chalky m8 the scene is so diverse at the moment its hard to know which direction to take as a promoter.Lke yourselves at lifeline alls you can do is hire the best djs you can and hope people like what you do.Personaly i dont think there will ever be a problem for the quality nites like lifeline,soul or nothin etc but equaly there will always be a place for stoke and the big oldies nites i really dont think theirs to much to worry about,as i said before the bad clubs always close quickly thumbsup.gif .

Social source share

Its horses for courses chalky m8 the scene is so diverse at the moment its hard to know which direction to take as a promoter.Lke yourselves at lifeline alls you can do is hire the best djs you can and hope people like what you do.Personaly i dont think there will ever be a problem for the quality nites like lifeline,soul or nothin etc but equaly there will always be a place for stoke and the big oldies nites i really dont think theirs to much to worry about,as i said before the bad clubs always close quickly thumbsup.gif .

What are Soul Sourcers definitions of a good/bad club? Attendance? Music Policy? DJs?Venue? - Discuss.

Social source share

Numbers wise a bad nite for middleton is under 400,music wise a bad nite for me is hearing a record repeated.Luckily with our line ups fortnum dyson soul sam etc it doesnt realy happen.As far as good club definition goes when we turn the lights on at 7 30pm we are still packed with a full dance floor when that stops so will i.These are my own personal definitions obviously.

Social source share

I've been saying for years that there are now too many venues and agree with too many chasing too few but how do you define quality?

Without wishing to start 'another' newies v oldies arguement this is what I have noticed in recent years...........

Around 4-5 years ago there were less venue's than now, but we were going to a least one, sometimes two every week. Yet today we have More choice yet we only go to around one or two a month..

It seems to me that many of these venue's try to appeal to a wide an audience as possible in order to get as many punters through the door as possible........ many newer people have been encouraged onto the scene with lots of nice 'safe' music, ie the usual New/old tracks that everyone knows only to well, it means Mr + Mrs blogs can go to a nice little soul night, Mr can have a few late drinks, while Mrs has a dance round her handbag with her mates........ AND if MR has had a few to many Stella's he get up and show us all his 'Northern' dance to 'Out on the Floor'.....

Meanwhile countless 'quality' sounds, both new and old have little chance of every seeing a turntable because of this ultra 'safe' policy.

Some venue's seem little more than Teen Disco's for '40 somethings' .....

There is a lot more to Northern than Frank Wilson and Sid the bloody Snake, in the same way as I imagine there is a lot more to modern than Angie Stone and Drizabone!.

All of course IMHO! rolleyes.gif

Social source share

What are Soul Sourcers definitions of a good/bad club? Attendance? Music Policy? DJs?Venue? - Discuss.

Good is any that have nothing to do with Kev Roberts ............pass those grapes ....ohhhh theres sour for you!.

Social source share

Think its getting quite silly now with the amount of events out and about, main reason IMO every one wants a slice of the cake, likes been said the good will survive big and small, but its having a effect on the whole scene with half empty rooms, they maybe playing fantastic records, great venue ect but whats the good in that if the punters are faced to make a choice of where to attend half will go there half eill go here, pointless.......ok you cant help the odd clash here and there but when you get people putting on nights for the sake of it when there is another do on half hour up the road mental, typical example, we got soul in Wellingborough, just your typical monthly local do, good fun with a few quality tunes along with some played out muck every last friday of the month then half hour up the road in peterborough some one does the same its a nightmare and causes bad feelings, and thats half the reason behind some of the shit and backstabbing ect that goes on.

With regards to KR.....sour grapes :D get over it, no probs about his nights good luck to him, i think the ordasity of the bloke and the way he treats his paying customers is appaling, and yet people still support him huh.gif erm i'll decide on my own if i think he is legendary, yeah legendary in his own little mind, his ego is bigger than some of his atendancys

Social source share

Think its down to probably too much diversity within "our" music, not a bad thing, dont get me wrong but with regards to venues many people go to a local soul nite decide that perhaps the music policy isnt to taste and think they can offer better and put on a night of their own. Shame really, cos in an ideal world it would be nice if we all worked together. But I guess egos do not allow this, plus apart from the "big" venues putting on nighters and having the facilities of other rooms under the one roof, they also time on their side, wheras a soul nite usually finishes around the midnight/ 1am mark. I think its about the quality of the music played and perhaps not quantity of people but then I guess there are many on the scene who put on a soulnite not specifically to make loads of dosh, but to play out soul sounds that aren't on offer anywhere locally.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=35899

this one says it all I reckon

Edited by Sister Dawn
Social source share

Not sure what I think of this to be honest....on one level I agree with it, but on another its smacks of 'Soul Police'.

I suppose if you go to a Soul night weekly, travel the country every weekend and collect records all the time, then the more obvious events seem ...well obvious I guess.

But if you're a more casual punter and just want to hear music you can actually dance to ( and lets face it if we are really saying there are 500 top quality truly great memorable danceable Northern Soul records we're actually really fucking lucky... I think they maybe a few hundred more.... the rest are really second third and fourth division..same with Disco, House, R&B, Modern Soul (doesn't count cos they play borderline ballads too)...500 is a pretty big number !) in a reasonably nice big venue with a good sound system then why shouldn't the more casual punter have that privlege? It's really wierd how the English always like to have someone to look down on.

The hardcore Northern Soul nutters can go to a smaller more trusted -by -them - venue and listen to second rate stuff, talk the same old crap to the same old trainspotters and get all wet at the thought of finding a rare record for tuppence at the local dealer/ Oxfam/ rubbish tip/bootfair etc. Thats the wonderful thing...everyone has the choice..go or don't go.

Social source share

The hardcore Northern Soul nutters can go to a smaller more trusted -by -them - venue and listen to second rate stuff, talk the same old crap to the same old trainspotters and get all wet at the thought of finding a rare record for tuppence at the local dealer/ Oxfam/ rubbish tip/bootfair etc.

I don't really agree that the music played at some smaller venues are 2nd rate Simon think that comment is perhaps a tad unfair shhh.gif , 9/10 some play fantastic sounds bang up to the standards played at a big nighter/dayer somewhere.

Now where are these "bargins" that I can get off on... :D

Social source share

Not sure what I think of this to be honest....on one level I agree with it, but on another its smacks of 'Soul Police'.

I said it before, if by wanting quality over quantity and wanting a cohesive scene makes you part of the Soul Police sign me up now. Thought someone of your supposed high brow attitude to all this would be above the very tired and frankly jaded soul police insult.

( and lets face it if we are really saying there are 500 top quality truly great memorable danceable Northern Soul records we're actually really fucking lucky... I think they maybe a few hundred more.... the rest are really second third and fourth division..same with Disco, House, R&B, Modern Soul (doesn't count cos they play borderline ballads too)...500 is a pretty big number !) in a reasonably nice big venue with a good sound system then why shouldn't the more casual punter have that privlege? It's really wierd how the English always like to have someone to look down on.

Only 500 truly great records, get out of it, yeah right, assume you are judging them all by the Mirwood sound alike circa 1966, which I suppose is consistent with your view of house. Ridiculous comment, and as for the second point please translate with direct digs rather than coded insults to the various other genres and scenes that dont fit your quality definition.

The hardcore Northern Soul nutters can go to a smaller more trusted -by -them - venue and listen to second rate stuff, talk the same old crap to the same old trainspotters and get all wet at the thought of finding a rare record for tuppence at the local dealer/ Oxfam/ rubbish tip/bootfair etc. Thats the wonderful thing...everyone has the choice..go or don't go.

I assume this is a dig at Lifeline etc, I find it difficult to defend as I don't attend as much as I should but the above is typical of your comments lately Simon, absolutely no substance behind them. The assumption that serious Northern fans cant have fun is as tired and jaded as the Soul Police insult, I think it just shows that you like many, I am afraid, dont get the whole Northern Soul ethos, and I am sorry if that means I sound "up myself" but it frustrates the hell out of me that this is thrown around. I dont attend because other than a few obvious places I dont know where these "hardcore Northern Soul nutter nights" are, please direct me to a few and I will see if they meet up to my standards.

WTF - I assume you are just trying to annoy everyone in each sub-scene with this post rather than the odd individual you try and piss off and unfortunately its worked with me, I should know better but I appreciate you are a master of putting out incorrect facts that then become history, one of my pet hates in life, not just NS.

The one thing we do agree on is we have a choice, I have sadly chosen my armchair although knowing there are views like the above around reminds me of why I did!

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Answering your more reasonable post, as said I don't attend much so difficult for me to say on this, However reason I stopped regularly attending in mid 90's was because of what I see as the evoluition of the current scene position.

Firstly I dont think there is one scene anymore, or at best a very fragmented scene with little co-ordination, this is for a number of reasons but mostly the proliferation of small soul nites which in turn are attracting amounts of returnees of the sorts that Teapot refers to, this in turn stifles the ability of these small soul nights to play anything different. I do think there is a place for these but these appear to be now the centre of the scene, rather than on the periphery feeding bigger venues.

These that do feed into bigger venues appear to want same old again and therefore Stoke etc multiplies, again not against this but just not for me, good luck to those who do attend, its certainly better in my eyes than them attending Abba tribute nights.

However the issue then is there is no room for a regular (minimum monthly, but ideally fortnightly) smaller progressive night where the top sounds are played regularly, which to me has to be the centre of a cohesive Rare Soul scene.

Therefore for me it has killed my interest in the scene as whole, however I also realise that we are in different situation, would people travel fortnightly to a central place, are there enough sounds to maintain that, but that is another question!!

Jock

Social source share

I suppose if you go to a Soul night weekly, travel the country every weekend and collect records all the time, then the more obvious events seem ...well obvious I guess.

But if you're a more casual punter and just want to hear music you can actually dance to ( and lets face it if we are really saying there are 500 top quality truly great memorable danceable Northern Soul records we're actually really fucking lucky... I think they maybe a few hundred more.... the rest are really second third and fourth division..same with Disco, House, R&B, Modern Soul (doesn't count cos they play borderline ballads too)...500 is a pretty big number !) in a reasonably nice big venue with a good sound system then why shouldn't the more casual punter have that privlege? It's really wierd how the English always like to have someone to look down on.

sleep3.gif:D:thumbsup:

Looking for a bite Simon? You'll have to do better than that Mate. biggrin.gif

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

The hardcore Northern Soul nutters can go to a smaller more trusted -by -them - venue and listen to second rate stuff, talk the same old crap to the same old trainspotters and get all wet at the thought of finding a rare record for tuppence at the local dealer/ Oxfam/ rubbish tip/bootfair etc.

I don't really agree that the music played at some smaller venues are 2nd rate Simon think that comment is perhaps a tad unfair :D , 9/10 some play fantastic sounds bang up to the standards played at a big nighter/dayer somewhere.

Now where are these "bargins" that I can get off on... :lol:

Hmmm....thing is Dawn, I really want to say that there is great new stuff turning up...but truthfully in real terms there isn't.

The biggest DANCEFLOOR records over the last couple of years (and before anyone says 'so and so' is huge for so and so'...maybe it is huge for so and so, but is it any good or is it just a hardcore followers that are saying it because they want to be seen as in with the in crowd ??) have been Gayle Adams, The Brothers, The Futures ect, all tracks on the commercial side.

The really good stuff has mostly been previously unreleased stuff which SOUNDS like something that could have been played at a Northern venue twenty years ago....that unreleased Chris Clark CD track is a case in point. Massive... but had to be booted so it could be played at venues ! The recent scrabble for the latest Kent Anniversary 45 is another case. Fantastic record but a percived rarity so the scrabble is on. But better than either of them is the Supremes 'Honey Bee' 45 from last year....but I have mine stockpiled for the future.

And as for Sidney Barnes 'Solid Ground'..again the DANCEFLOOR loves it, Nicole Willis the DANCEFLOOR loves it, but the amount of sneering that goes on would make you think the majority hated those records. But they don't. Sometimes they have to be told they like them though which is interesting...and it won't be the smaller venues that tells them. Sidney Barnes is a case in point. NO ONE would play that record when they first appeared because it was produced by you know who. I could have told anyone that it was great on its initial release and did..suddenly it's huge.. but no one played it when it came out four years ago. Hilarious.

.I could tell you now that the Herman Griffin track released from the same source at the time is BETTER... but you won't find one without a pressing fault. But The Satintones is another story......

:D:thumbsup:sleep3.gif

Looking for a bite Simon? You'll have to do better than that Mate. :D

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

No I wasn't... Mate, rolleyes.gif but looks like I got one from you !

Social source share

I assume this is a dig at Lifeline etc,

Not a dig at Lifeline at all unsure.gif ..or any other specific venue. But what it is is another OPINION and to be honest its an opinion to counter the loud ones that sneer all the time at the big successful venues and somehow think they are superior becuse they like rarer soul than someone else Modern, Northern or otherwise.

As for the rest of your post..what ?

Social source share

Think its down to probably too much diversity within "our" music, not a bad thing, dont get me wrong but with regards to venues many people go to a local soul nite decide that perhaps the music policy isnt to taste and think they can offer better and put on a night of their own. Shame really, cos in an ideal world it would be nice if we all worked together. But I guess egos do not allow this, plus apart from the "big" venues putting on nighters and having the facilities of other rooms under the one roof, they also time on their side, wheras a soul nite usually finishes around the midnight/ 1am mark. I think its about the quality of the music played and perhaps not quantity of people but then I guess there are many on the scene who put on a soulnite not specifically to make loads of dosh, but to play out soul sounds that aren't on offer anywhere locally.

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=35899

this one says it all I reckon

BRILLIANT! :D I love it. whistling.gif

Social source share

Not a dig at Lifeline at all unsure.gif ..or any other specific venue. But what it is is another OPINION and to be honest its an opinion to counter the loud ones that sneer all the time at the big successful venues and somehow think they are superior becuse they like rarer soul than someone else Modern, Northern or otherwise.

As for the rest of your post..what ?

I've yet to see you at venues like Lifeline so how can you give an opinion with regards to type of venue hard core soul nutters or whatever you call them frequent? Your counter opinion is just as bad as those that slag of the ones you are so called defending? As you don't frequent the type of venue hardcore soul nutters go to how do you know the music is second rate :D Some of your comments make you no better than some of the so called soul police.

Like Dave Thorley says go to where you want to go, hear what you want to hear and let others get on with what they want to do and hear.

Social source share

Hmmm....thing is Dawn, I really want to say that there is great new stuff turning up...but truthfully in real terms there isn't.

There are still plenty of records out there either forgotten or already discovered but yet to have their day so to speak. If it wasn't for the so called second rate venues these records would never get a look in wicked.gif

Social source share

The biggest DANCEFLOOR records over the last couple of years (and before anyone says 'so and so' is huge for so and so'...maybe it is huge for so and so, but is it any good or is it just a hardcore followers that are saying it because they want to be seen as in with the in crowd ??) have been Gayle Adams, The Brothers, The Futures ect, all tracks on the commercial side.

The really good stuff has mostly been previously unreleased stuff which SOUNDS like something that could have been played at a Northern venue twenty years ago....that unreleased Chris Clark CD track is a case in point. Massive... but had to be booted so it could be played at venues ! The recent scrabble for the latest Kent Anniversary 45 is another case. Fantastic record but a percived rarity so the scrabble is on. But better than either of them is the Supremes 'Honey Bee' 45 from last year....but I have mine stockpiled for the future.

And as for Sidney Barnes 'Solid Ground'..again the DANCEFLOOR loves it, Nicole Willis the DANCEFLOOR loves it, but the amount of sneering that goes on would make you think the majority hated those records. But they don't. Sometimes they have to be told they like them though which is interesting...and it won't be the smaller venues that tells them. Sidney Barnes is a case in point. NO ONE would play that record when they first appeared because it was produced by you know who. I could have told anyone that it was great on its initial release and did..suddenly it's huge.. but no one played it when it came out four years ago. Hilarious.

.I could tell you now that the Herman Griffin track released from the same source at the time is BETTER... but you won't find one without a pressing fault. But The Satintones is another story......

No I wasn't... Mate, rolleyes.gif but looks like I got one from you !

Must say have to agree with some of your points here Simon, true and valid... but disagree with the comments bout the Sidney :D and Nicole :thumbsup: tracks, I cant stand either but thats personal opinion. .. .. and doesnt really address the issue.

But I really do think that an awful lot of the smaller venues cater for a wide variety of soul people, some that have been off the scene for perhaps a number of years and some that go to the different venues on a weekly basis both big and small, and by doing so, they play the tried and tested oldies "the safe stuff" but they also play alot of the "more recent tunes" to satisfy the ones that go to venues on a regular basis, I dont know what the happy medium is on the issues here, but I think its great at the moment it gives choice, and diversity, its not going to last forever for certain people due to the ageing process, in the late 8ts/early 9ts there wasnt alot on, due to the "infamous" split on the scene, but at the moment its back and we should take full advantage of it while we can.

Got myself two spots tonight one of which will be full on Retro sounds and the other will include giving my latest buy of Kirk Franklin an airing.... So where ever you go tonight soul people enjoy it. x

Social source share

in the late 8ts/early 9ts there wasnt alot on, due to the "infamous" split on the scene, but at the moment its back and we should take full advantage of it while we can.

Just out of interest what was this split in the late 80s? thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I don't think the massive amount of venues is a problem, it might be if people choose a crap local venue rather than travel to hear something a bit different, but on the whole not a problem.

As for the old... ancient oldies vs. progressive debate i posted something about Mark F's soulnight a while ago that went as far as to say 'why can't we have it all?' I love Lifeline and i'm hoping to go next week. I was on the floor practically all night and Cliff Steel's spot blew my mind with the difference from most everywhere else. Superb.

On the other hand i'll be at Stoke tonight, with no illusions. I know exactly what i'm gonna get (maybe a bad thing) but again i'll probably spend a far amount of the night dancing.

It's horses for courses. The only time i get annoyed is when venues are falsely advertised, but if somewhere is an obvious oldies venue then it's crazy for people to come away moaning about the lack of a 'progressive' scene, it's the same as coming away from Lifeline bemoaning the lack of oldies.

Matt thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I don't think the massive amount of venues is a problem, it might be if people choose a crap local venue rather than travel to hear something a bit different, but on the whole not a problem.

As for the old... ancient oldies vs. progressive debate i posted something about Mark F's soulnight a while ago that went as far as to say 'why can't we have it all?' I love Lifeline and i'm hoping to go next week. I was on the floor practically all night and Cliff Steel's spot blew my mind with the difference from most everywhere else. Superb.

On the other hand i'll be at Stoke tonight, with no illusions. I know exactly what i'm gonna get (maybe a bad thing) but again i'll probably spend a far amount of the night dancing.

It's horses for courses. The only time i get annoyed is when venues are falsely advertised, but if somewhere is an obvious oldies venue then it's crazy for people to come away moaning about the lack of a 'progressive' scene, it's the same as coming away from Lifeline bemoaning the lack of oldies.

Matt thumbsup.gif

Hi Matt

Agree with most of that, but wrongly advertised ?

Most of us know what most of the DJ's play, and from the list of DJ's advertised you should know what your gonna get. Unless of course they play a rock set then I would be pissed off :D

But if it's soul, good enough

Social source share

Hello Simon

I can only speak from the modern scene perspective not the northern soul scene .

To be absolutely blunt there is no etiquette , manners ,politeness or communication between promoters on this scene anymore with a few exceptions ..it's dog eat dog now and has been for a while .

As a promoter of a fairly established event on the modern scene I thinks its an exceptionally worrying time with us smaller venues literally "fighting" for survival . Every single week there are loads of modern events on now,there are literally NO "free" weekends ,the modern scene is miniscule already and all these new venues springing up all over the place do is serve to dilute an already fragmented scene even further if thats possible .

It seems to me that in the future if we aren't careful it will be about the really big events and the numerous weekenders ,I guess that it will be the small non-profit making venues like mine that sadly go under.

I dont know what the answer is really , all you can do is put on the best possible night using the best DJ's and give people the best value for money and then worry yourself sick and hope people turn up ...it used to be everyone wanted to be a dj now everyone wants to be a promoter :-((

Lin

Edited by soulgirlie
Social source share

Here's a thought, Lin mentioned that everyone wanted to be a DJ a few years back, now they all want to be promoters. Maybe, lots of those people who wanted to be DJ's but couldn't get booked, thought right I'll put on my own night and then I'll be able to DJ. ohmy.gif

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Here's a thought, Lynn mentioned that everyone wanted to be a DJ a few years back, now they all want to be promoters. Maybe, lots of those people who wanted to be DJ's but couldn't get booked, thought right I'll put on my own night and then I'll be able to DJ. ohmy.gif

And in turn,book promoter DJs,everyones a promoter :D must say it does work,after doing a promotion myself,i got booked for all of em`,and had about 8 of em`,in Brixton.

Social source share

Agreed there are lots of venues - it is therefore up to the punter themselves to choose where they go based upon IMHO - Music Policy - DJs - Travelling Distance. Do your homework & you shouldn't be disappointed.

Remember - all venues were new once. rolleyes.gif

Social source share

Agreed there are lots of venues - it is therefore up to the punter themselves to choose where they go based upon IMHO - Music Policy - DJs - Travelling Distance. Do your homework & you shouldn't be disappointed.

Remember - all venues were new once. rolleyes.gif

Spot on, but travelling distance!!!!!!!!! If it's a good venue distance shouldn't matter. I hear some people say we don't travel to Soul nites more than 30 miles away, we only travel further if it's an allniter. But in many cases, soul nite 8-2 = 6 hours. Allniter 10 or later-7=9 hours whats the real difference and most people don't stop all nite anyway.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Spot on, but travelling distance!!!!!!!!! If it's a good venue distance shouldn't matter. I hear some people say we don't travel to Soul nites more than 30 miles away, we only travel further if it's an allniter. But in many cases, soul nite 8-2 = 6 hours. Allniter 10 or later-7=9 hours whats the real difference and most people don't stop all nite anyway.

Point being if you scan the gig guides & say two venues offer pretty much the same - which one are you going to attend? The one which involves say 2 hours travelling or the one which involves 4-5 hours travelling? Love that journey home when you are the designated driver & all your pi**ed up mates are telling you how much they love you for taking them - "You're our best mate" hic.

Answers on the back of a Goldsoul wristband please.

Edited by epic
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Hi Matt

Agree with most of that, but wrongly advertised ?

Most of us know what most of the DJ's play, and from the list of DJ's advertised you should know what your gonna get. Unless of course they play a rock set then I would be pissed off :D

But if it's soul, good enough

You're right that you more or less know which DJs are going to play what, but the venue is also a factor. I know for a fact that tonight Butch will play a different set at Stoke than i heard him play at the last Lifeline, he's playing to the paying punters, which is as it should be.

So, you can't always go by the DJ lineup but need to rely on the information about the venue as well. For example if some place advertises itself as 'across the board' but plays nothing but oldies i'd feel cheated. Not because it was all oldies but because i'd turned up expecting to hear someone different maybe.

I hasten to add that i wouldn't feel cheated if a place advertised as 100% oldies but then played stuff i didn't know all night (that would be pretty good) whistling.gif

M.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

I've yet to see you at venues like Lifeline so how can you give an opinion with regards to type of venue hard core soul nutters or whatever you call them frequent? Your counter opinion is just as bad as those that slag of the ones you are so called defending? As you don't frequent the type of venue hardcore soul nutters go to how do you know the music is second rate unsure.gif Some of your comments make you no better than some of the so called soul police.

Like Dave Thorley says go to where you want to go, hear what you want to hear and let others get on with what they want to do and hear.

First off Chalky, I didn't mention Lifeline or any other venue, that was Jocko.

Last time you saw me anywhere was the 100 Club about five years ago I think....maybe you've seen me somewhere else but I don't remember seeing you. :P

I've been to a few since then believe it or not and keep a keen eye and ear on what's currently buzzing.

Secondly, if my counter opinion is 'as bad' then that means you think the original opinion is bad...but at least mine is different...and perhaps not as serious as you think ? :yes:

But funny how certain subjects are OK when presented from one side..but not from the other !

If my posting was meant to get a bite as Dave Moore thinks, then what the hell are all the postings that slag off big venues then ? :lol:

Thirdly, I agree with what Dave Thorley says entirely and if you read my posts you'll see I said the choice is to go or not go.

Dawn... I didn't say I loved Nicole Willis or Sidney Barnes..I said the DANCEFLOOR loves them and that was in the context of big, popular and more mainstream venues.

My point is that records like those are popular with the Northern Soul overground rather than the Northern Soul underground who often get excited about something rare and not great rather than not so rare and good .. kind of cutting the nose off to spite the face. :D

And Lin, agreed entirely. :lol:

I like my music as much as anyone here but not for rarity over quality and for some people that seems to be the only real criteria. Great for them, but to then slag of the bigger venues for playing popular records would be as laughable as someone slagging of trainspotter venues for playing bad but rare records............

...... except theres been a lot of slagging off bigger venues already, so surely all this is just the other side of a mass debate?

Social source share

For me the more choice the better, as I don't get out much. blush.gif

If I'm going out to spend my money to enjoy myself, then surely it's down to me where I choose to go.

There's a few things that I consider whenever I go anywhere. One of the most important things is where it is. I can basically forget about public transport and I live right by Heathrow Airport. So I have to drive to nearly all events I attend, so I normally just stay local to me. Why?, you may ask. Well it's because I'm a lazy git. I don't want to be spending hours driving up and down motorways, when I could be there and back in under an hour. Anywhere that requires much more I have to consider stopping over somewhere, another drain on limited funds.

The two events that I probably attend the most are Solid Hit Soul & Lightwater. Martin, Stuart, Gene & Dave at Solid Hit have always been welcoming and friendly, the same can be said for Moldie at Lightwater. The two musically are totally different (IMO), but I enjoy both events.

I am trying to put in words at the moment what I'm thinking, bear with me as I'm struggling.

Music policy doesn't generally play any part in my choice of events. I normally see who's promoting or DJing, if it's someone I know and like, I try to support them. For instance, Rich & Jamie in Leeds, two great lads, how they didn't get the support they deserved is beyond me! :huh: Unfortunately I only managed the trip up once to Bar Jupiter. Other events that I keep looking at and that I'd like to attend are Soul or Nothing and Ponds Forge. Why, because the impression that I have is that the people involved and the people who attend these events, don't give a toss about polotics, they just want to play records and enjoy themselves (same as soulsville boys). Plus Steve and Mark are another two good blokes (even if they are northerners :P ). However, for me to attend either one of these would mean booking accommodation for me and the wife. Or squaring it with the wife for me to go. As she isn't too enarmoured with the thought of being left on her own for a couple of days with the kids. Call me Wayne Gibson if you like :lol: , but why should I upset my wife and kids for the sake of listening to a few records. My family is more important to me, again my choice.

I could write a list on here of people I would be willing to travel and support, but I shall refrain from doing so, as I've done enough butt-kissing already.

I've got loads to say about choices of events, but I'm finding it difficult to put into written words. So I'm going to stop now.

Social source share

Interesting that not one person , whether they be DJ or promoter or "leading personality" , either on this website or anywhere else on the scene , no matter what part of the soul spectrum they are a part of (oldies, modern, new 60's discoveries, crossover and so on) , suggests that EVERYBODY should get together , perhaps have a summit meeting of some sort, put their prejudices aside, pool their efforts/ideas/resources and organise ONE big weekly or fortnightly regular event which caters for - and pulls together - every strand of the soul scene.

It certainly CAN be done , if there is the WILL there is the way ....

History has shown that what the soul scene needs to thrive is leadership, focus and direction ... Wheel Mecca Torch Wigan and to a slightly lesser extent 100 Club and Stafford , (not discounting all the other great venues that have made their own worthwhile contributions).

Question is, is there too much self interest on everyone's part and too many "perceived" riches and power at stake , to allow the scene to be put in the hands of ONE small group of people to run the scene ?

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

First off Chalky, I didn't mention Lifeline or any other venue, that was Jocko.

Last time you saw me anywhere was the 100 Club about five years ago I think....maybe you've seen me somewhere else but I don't remember seeing you. :huh:

I've been to a few since then believe it or not and keep a keen eye and ear on what's currently buzzing.

Secondly, if my counter opinion is 'as bad' then that means you think the original opinion is bad...but at least mine is different...and perhaps not as serious as you think ? :P

But funny how certain subjects are OK when presented from one side..but not from the other !

If my posting was meant to get a bite as Dave Moore thinks, then what the hell are all the postings that slag off big venues then ? :D

Thirdly, I agree with what Dave Thorley says entirely and if you read my posts you'll see I said the choice is to go or not go.

Dawn... I didn't say I loved Nicole Willis or Sidney Barnes..I said the DANCEFLOOR loves them and that was in the context of big, popular and more mainstream venues.

My point is that records like those are popular with the Northern Soul overground rather than the Northern Soul underground who often get excited about something rare and not great rather than not so rare and good .. kind of cutting the nose off to spite the face. shhh.gif

I like my music as much as anyone here but not for rarity over quality and for some people that seems to be the only real criteria. Great for them, but to then slag of the bigger venues for playing popular records would be as laughable as someone slagging of trainspotter venues for playing bad but rare records............

...... except theres been a lot of slagging off bigger venues already, so surely all this is just the other side of a mass debate?

Hi Simon, have seen each other couple of times since then, Stoke and Fleetwood two venues :lol:

I'm not saying the original post was bad or your's was bad, just it makes you no better than those who made the posts slagging off larger venues playing popular well known records and I think you'll find I've defended Kev more than most on here.

Like Dave says go where you want to go and hear who you want to hear.

Why people have to publicly slag of other events, especially when they have know intention of attending puzzles me at times but I suppose it's the nature of us Brits, if someone puts themselves out there in the spotlight we just seem to love taking pot shots to knock them down :( This scene is too small and all this bitching and fighting between rival promoters and events will just drive people away in the end to the detriment of the scene.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert