Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Dobber

Adam's apples info

Don't take it out on this world has always been a fave northern tune for me,however I've never come across any info on the group or even pics?

is there any info/pics out there?

with the recent interest back on the tune and originals hitting 1k..wow! Can we put faces to the record?

also I have a USA issue,what's the ratio to demo's and issues?

Lee

Edited by dobber

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Have a word with Dave Moore. Apparently he bumped into these guys in the States. I think it was during one of the Soultrip USA things and in a bar or maybe hotel bar. He thought the 4 (?) black guys looked likely candidates to be a group so went over and chatted. They'd heard the Brits were in town and said they were the Adams Apples.

:hatsoff2:- Kev

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Bloomin heck....that's a bit of a lucky chat to strangers!....interesting subject this, looking forward to hearing what people know about the group...kind regards....Rob

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

There was an issue sold on ebay in the last week or so for less than £500 (493.07).  I know it is in demand and a great dancer but £1k a little OTT.

Never seen a photo of the group or found any info about them.

there is a website dedicated to the whol Brunswick roster but no info about them.

Edited by chalky

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
Guest

Ray Allen produced "Don't Take It Out On This World".  He also produced "Strange Neighbourhood for the Imaginations. 

I know he produced/arranged another Northern track, but can't remember what it is! 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
38 minutes ago, chalky said:

There was an issue sold on ebay in the last week or so for less than £500 (493.07).  I know it is in demand and a great dancer but £1k a little OTT.

Record was pretty scratched so interest was limited. First issue I've seen up for grabs. DJ copies surely outnumber demos by 10:1 at a rough guess. Great tune and evidently an in-demand top 500 oldie. Their other track on Brunswick lists at £100 and is hard to come by. The group were overlooked at the time, possibly because they had an odd name. Sorry, no info on the topic but interested to hear anything.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
Guest
41 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

The group were overlooked at the time, possibly because they had an odd name.

Somewhat like The Yum Yums, Big Dons Rebellion or John and the Weirdest!

Edited by Guest

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Adams Apples were from New Brunswick NJ. They were on their way to see me at SoultripUSA 2006. A mix up with dates meant they arrived at the Hilton after I departed. I interviewed them for either Jazz FM or Smooth who I worked for at the time. A Black group made to sound white!  

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
3 minutes ago, Goldsoul said:

Adams Apples were from New Brunswick NJ. They were on their way to see me at SoultripUSA 2006. A mix up with dates meant they arrived at the Hilton after I departed. I interviewed them for either Jazz FM or Smooth who I worked for at the time. A Black group made to sound white!  

Well the black to white worked,cos I thought they were/are white!

cracking northern tune!

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
17 minutes ago, Goldsoul said:

Adams Apples were from New Brunswick NJ. They were on their way to see me at SoultripUSA 2006. A mix up with dates meant they arrived at the Hilton after I departed. I interviewed them for either Jazz FM or Smooth who I worked for at the time. A Black group made to sound white!  

Is there a recording of the interview anywhere Kev? Would love to hear it. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

I am slowly looking through mini discs to find it along with a few others like Frankie Karl, Freddie Perren plus others. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
2 hours ago, solidsoul said:

Somewhat like The Yum Yums, Big Dons Rebellion or John and the Weirdest!

Tasty name, powerful name or myterious name...all tempting. Now, Adams Apples, are they hippies, new-age religion or a part of the anatomy? Give a group a daft name and it might not appeal to potential DJ's, record buyers, promoters etc.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
13 hours ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Record was pretty scratched so interest was limited. First issue I've seen up for grabs. DJ copies surely outnumber demos by 10:1 at a rough guess. Great tune and evidently an in-demand top 500 oldie. Their other track on Brunswick lists at £100 and is hard to come by. The group were overlooked at the time, possibly because they had an odd name. Sorry, no info on the topic but interested to hear anything.

Not sure how bad the scratches were, just said surface marks and plays and sounds well.  Condition hasn't stopped other classics commanding a daft sum, look at the Tomangoes that just sold.

Edited by chalky

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
11 hours ago, Goldsoul said:

I am slowly looking through mini discs to find it along with a few others like Frankie Karl, Freddie Perren plus others. 

Magic :thumbup:

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

heard a rumour in the early 90's that Hoagy lands was something to do with the group  ,but never confirmed

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 21:18, dobber said:

Well the black to white worked,cos I thought they were/are white!

cracking northern tune!

Oh, Yes....:hatsoff2:

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

I had an issue with a slight edge warp, so I ironed it out.  One of the few I did that went wrong.  I took £75 for it :-(

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
On ‎29‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 20:20, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Record was pretty scratched so interest was limited. First issue I've seen up for grabs. DJ copies surely outnumber demos by 10:1 at a rough guess. Great tune and evidently an in-demand top 500 oldie. Their other track on Brunswick lists at £100 and is hard to come by. The group were overlooked at the time, possibly because they had an odd name. Sorry, no info on the topic but interested to hear anything.

I picked up an issue copy recently paid £550 not in the best condition but plays through well, Had to be done as it's my all time Favourite! :wink: :)

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

I seem to remember that they were one of these studio creations made up by Producer and Songwriter Paul Leka

He was also responsible for the Leaders on Blue Rock

 

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Recall Simon (Sid) Bray telling me he had a Canadian Brunswick (issue/demo?) of DTIOOTW that he sold to Tim Brown a number of years ago. 

Edited by theothertosspot
Added label

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
On 01/12/2018 at 06:55, Blackpoolsoul said:

I seem to remember that they were one of these studio creations made up by Producer and Songwriter Paul Leka

He was also responsible for the Leaders on Blue Rock

 

 

Studio creation or not they turned up at one of Kev Roberts USA trips.  Thin k it was after the weekend when most had left.

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
14 hours ago, theothertosspot said:

Recall Simon (Sid) Bray telling me he had a Canadian Brunswick (issue/demo?) of DTIOOTW that he sold to Tim Brown a number of years ago. 

Might be true. The other Adam's Apples release on Brunswick, "You are the one I love" came out in Canada.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Both of their 45's did get reviewed in Cashbox- the 1st is from July 8th, 67, the second from March 9th, 1968 - 

don't.jpg

a2.jpg

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Look At Your Box - Source Forum

Get into the record & soul music talk

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

  1. Adams Apples/yvonne Fair/the Supremes And The Four Tops
    Record Wants by soulboyben on Wed 06 Jul 2016
    • 2 / 556
    • stretfordender on 06 Jul 2016
  2. Adams Apples & Jj Barnes - Uk Brunswick And Contempo
    Record Sales by wiganer1 on Wed 16 Nov 2011
    • 3 / 510
    • wiganer1 on 16 Nov 2011
  3. Adams Apples - Brunswick Ydj Pleeeeeeeze
    Record Wants by russoul1 on Thu 01 Mar 2012
    • 1 / 342
    • russoul1 on 01 Mar 2012
  4. Adams Apples - Don't Take It Out On This World
    Look At Your Box by Bruv on Mon 09 Oct 2017
    • 4 / 938
    • bleep on 09 Oct 2017
  5. Adams Apples Don't Take It Out On This World Brunswick Demo
    Record Wants by KKS on Sun 03 Mar 2013
    • 1 / 314
    • KKS on 03 Mar 2013
    • 2 / 437
    • Tommy on 08 Nov 2007

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.