Which Artist Would You Like To See Live

Which rare soul artist would you like to see over in the UK. Not that I plan bringing someone over, but in my travels in the US I always get the "I would love to come over" conversation.

When I mention their names to guys over here no one seems interested. Over the last few years, it has seemed to me that we keep getting acts at weekenders that we've had before and not enough, 'Not seen before'. Even worse many acts I've seen in recent times, struggle to sing any longer and can't remember their own lyrics. Lets try and stick to one still alive.

Social source share

• Replies 95
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Which rare soul artist would you like to see over in the UK. Not that I plan bringing someone over, but in my travels in the US I always get the "I would love to come over" conversation.

When I mention their names to guys over here no one seems interested. Over the last few years, it has seemed to me that we keep getting acts at weekenders that we've had before and not enough, 'Not seen before'. Even worse many acts I've seen in recent times, struggle to sing any longer and can't remember their own lyrics. Lets try and stick to one still alive.

Is Tobi Legend still alive, Dave?

Roccia

Social source share

I think I prefer acts that are still active and unlike most I like hearing their current stuff. Not sure how appropriate that is at a 'northern' event.

I know the stick we got at the Neighbourhood for Betty LaVette doing stuff off her (then) current album.

Mind you when she was jamming in the Winter Gardens with just a Pianist the night before was just about the best live performance I've ever seen and there was only about ten of us there.

She did tell us about being good friends with Pat Lewis. Now she would be worth seeing.

Social source share

I think I prefer acts that are still active and unlike most I like hearing their current stuff. Not sure how appropriate that is at a 'northern' event.

I know the stick we got at the Neighbourhood for Betty LaVette doing stuff off her (then) current album.

Mind you when she was jamming in the Winter Gardens with just a Pianist the night before was just about the best live performance I've ever seen and there was only about ten of us there.

She did tell us about being good friends with Pat Lewis. Now she would be worth seeing.

I do know that Pat's voice is still in good shape, she is still a very indemand session singer in Detroit today

Social source share

cleethorpes a few years back i think?

Shane

Social source share

I've seen (and heard) Pat Lewis in Northampton. Top person and top singer...

Roccia

Social source share

I do know that Pat's voice is still in good shape, she is still a very indemand session singer in Detroit today

SEEN PAT THREE TIMES NOW, SHE'S STILL GOT IT AND BARBARA MERCER SHE HAS DEFINITELY STILL GOT IT , HELL OF A POWERFULL VOICE !!! LOVE TO HEAR HER DOING 'CALL ME', ALMETA LATTIMORE STILL GREAT TOO !!!
Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

How about Barbara Lewis , like most of what she's done, don't think she's been over has she ?

Cleethorpes, a few years ago....

TONE :lol:

I REALLY WANT TO SEE JERRY BUTLER !!! AND PLANS ARE AFOOT BUT NOT OVER HERE SADLY ,BUT I'M WILLING TO SHELL OUT AND TRAVEL thumbsup.gif

Saw him in Dallas about five years ago - he opened with 'Moody Woman' and it just got better and better! He's still in great voice and he does a terrific show, with almost everything that you'd want to hear him do. Well worth the plane fare IMO

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Which rare soul artist would you like to see over in the UK..

...After seeing Pete's You Tube clip, Jackie Shane's gone straight to the top of my list :lol:

TONE yes.gif

...Seriously, I'd like to see Freddie Hughes come back over and do a show where he sang just his own hits and classics. Wouldn't everybody?

Social source share

Guest martinsbox

Id crawl naked over broken glass to see THE HESITATIONS perform live.

Didn't they sing live at The Twisted Wheel under a different name?

Martin ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Didn't they sing live at The Twisted Wheel under a different name?

Martin ph34r.gif

You're thinking of the Invitations, or "The Original Drifters"/"Fantastic Impressions" or whatever name it was that promoter Roy Tempest sent them out under...

Social source share

You're thinking of the Invitations, or "The Original Drifters"/"Fantastic Impressions" or whatever name it was that promoter Roy Tempest sent them out under...

TONE yes.gif

I saw the Invitations under the guise of " The Original Drifters " at The Bid Lid Club in Dewsbury , West Yorkshire ( not sure of the date , possibly 1968 ) . It was not until years after that I found out I had seen the Invitations .....

Also saw Paul Anka in Las Vegas in 1980 : one of his / the backing singers was Wally Cox .

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Valerie lamar. but she cant come over and do her one (As far as I know) tune.

Barbara Lynn is a great shout. If you had to pick one person who you think really, I mean REALLY!! should have been as big as Marvin or Aretha. Barbara has to be in the frame.

I also to use a phrase, would crawl over broken glass to hear Anne Sexton sing You've Been gone too long (Have you guessed the link yet?)

The Marvells and The Inverts would also be top of my list, but I only know one tune by each of those.

If we could have any of the deceased. I'd love Ty Karim to stand up there, like Lorraine Chandler did at Stafford, with tears rolling down her cheeks, as we finaly get the chance to show her just how fucking much we love her music.

If she has played over here I aplolgise. I got to meet her daughter at the 100 club and discretion made me too reserved to tell her how much we love her mothers songs. but tonight. hell I'd wax lyrical.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Sorry Dave this does not fit with the rare bit -

Most of who I would have liked to see are no longer with us :lol:

However

Maze, they must be due a visit and just so good live yes.gif

Aretha is the one act that I would still love to see. But it seems she will not travel :yes:

Edited by Gavin Page
Social source share

Gloria Jones,missed her last time .

Still in trouble about a mini crash?

Heard so much about her being a great performer on stage

Social source share

Valerie lamar. but she cant come over and do her one (As far as I know) tune.

Barbara Lynn is a great shout. If you had to pick one person who you think really, I mean REALLY!! should have been as big as Marvin or Aretha. Barbara has to be in the frame.

I also to use a phrase, would crawl over broken glass to hear Anne Sexton sing You've Been gone too long (Have you guessed the link yet?)

The Marvells and The Inverts would also be top of my list, but I only know one tune by each of those. Which Inverts tune Time Will Change - Broadway or Look Out Love - Tower?

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

If we could have any of the deceased. I'd love Ty Karim to stand up there, like Lorraine Chandler did at Stafford, with tears rolling down her cheeks, as we finaly get the chance to show her just how fucking much we love her music.

If she has played over here I aplolgise. I got to meet her daughter at the 100 club and discretion made me too reserved to tell her how much we love her mothers songs. but tonight. hell I'd wax lyrical.

Social source share

Chris just said it...Jerry Butler..One of the very best for me,would love to see this man and Barbara Lewis too :yes: ,not at a soul venue but in a theatre..

==============

Good point, don't like live acts at nighters, although I have to say Barbara Lynn was magnificent at Fleetwood a few years back

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Hi Dave

Would you give a us a few names of the Artist's who have mentioned that they'd love to come over...

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

Guest Goldwax

In my few years living in New York I was lucky enough to see Sam Moore, Carla Thomas, Maxine Brown, Barbara Lynn, Ann Sexton ,King Hannibal, Bobby Bland and more but the best by far was Freddie North - met him after the show and he called me at work the following day for a chat, really nice bloke. Still got his number if anyone is keen to bring him over..............

Social source share

This is 10 years old but has some great info, and obviously Tobi was around when SWONS was made

In anticipation of this year's event I had the pleasure of speaking with Tobi Lark while she visted Toronto recently on a house hunting trip. The soft-spoken and humble Lark, originally born as Bessie Gupton in Alabama and then raised in Detroit, Michigan, is taking Toronto's Jazz and Blues circuit by storm.

"It's really strange because I haven't been really interested in the Blues till about 3 years ago. I've been singing it more seriously for close to a year. I think this is because being my age I've finally grown up."

Returning to the stage after a long absence, her story reads like a Blues fairy tale. An early rival of Aretha Franklin's, Lark began singing in the church choir at age 9 and toured for ten years with the Emma Washington Gospel Singers. The daughter of legendary Gospel and Blues singer Emma Washington, during the sixties Lark got her first professional job with a friend of her mother's, B.B. King. King was impressed with the young singer but felt that her voice was too sweet for her to really be able to sing the Blues. "He told me that I was really a balladeer and that I needed to experience more of life before I could really sing the Blues. At first I go mad at him, but he was right."

Well, Tobi Lark has definitely lived and experienced the glory and the pains of life. After working with BB King, her ambrosial vocals also embellished performances with the Impressions, the Four Tops, Ben E. King, Wilson Pickett, King Curtis, Cannonball Adderley, Duke Ellington, among others. In the late 60's Lark moved to Montreal with her young son after separating from her husband, where she left her mark at clubs like Rockhead's and then after performances at EXPO '67 moved to Toronto to work with Ronnie Hawkins. Soon after her arrival she was selected to play a lead role in the musical HAIR. From there Lark created the hugely successful Armageddon Revue at the Blue Orchid. Audiences have known her through stage and television performance with the Toronto Symphony or with the likes of Kenny Rogers. But few of us have been there during her downtimes when her son died; when her son's father died; when she was ill; or the tribulations of single parenting.

"I don't mean to sound corny but after the problems of changes in (life) it was so strange. It was like musically I quit. I wouldn't work much. But when I would sing and I would notice that people would respond to me. It strengthened me and made me so strong in the faith, that now I don't give a care who don't like it. I know that God brought me through in flying colours."

Lark's voice reflects the wisdom of a woman who's returned from the height of painful experience and a woman who understands the depth of her own power. Whether singing Chicago Blues, Mississippi Blues, Jazz, Pop or Gospel, Lark is confident about her soulful renditions. Impressed with advances made by women in the music industry, Lark strongly identifies with other vocalists notorious for doing things "my way".

"Etta James is my favourite right now because whether she sings the Blues, modern or old timey, she keeps that gospel influence. Bonnie Rait was singing her behind off but people weren't swinging her way. But look at her now. (She's doing well) because she took control of her life. Females now are taking control of their music. The males used to tell them how they had to sing or dress. They've become stronger as leaders in the music industry. They want to be their own person and do things on their own terms now."

Looking toward a promising future as she prepares to move back to Toronto from the Windsor/Detroit area, Lark is particularly excited about plans to perform reggae tunes combining Blues and Gospel. Lark is also in the process of confirming a distribution deal for her live CD which was recorded at Toronto's Judy Jazz club in the Spring 1995. Lark reminds me in some ways of another mighty Blues woman Billie Holiday - a woman who, despite narrow definitions of Blues and Jazz, always sings in the spirit of the Blues. Perhaps this is because Lark's southern roots remain, proudly, with her.

- Marva Jackson

Social source share

How about Barbara Lewis , like most of what she's done, don't think she's been over has she ?

Same here, some cracking recordings by her, love to see Barbara Lynne too. Just noticed in event's Barbara Lewis appearing on 17th November in Belgium, bit far to travel...

Karen

Edited by sanquine
Social source share

This is 10 years old but has some great info, and obviously Tobi was around when SWONS was made

In anticipation of this year's event I had the pleasure of speaking with Tobi Lark while she visted Toronto recently on a house hunting trip. The soft-spoken and humble Lark, originally born as Bessie Gupton in Alabama and then raised in Detroit, Michigan, is taking Toronto's Jazz and Blues circuit by storm.

"It's really strange because I haven't been really interested in the Blues till about 3 years ago. I've been singing it more seriously for close to a year. I think this is because being my age I've finally grown up."

Returning to the stage after a long absence, her story reads like a Blues fairy tale. An early rival of Aretha Franklin's, Lark began singing in the church choir at age 9 and toured for ten years with the Emma Washington Gospel Singers. The daughter of legendary Gospel and Blues singer Emma Washington, during the sixties Lark got her first professional job with a friend of her mother's, B.B. King. King was impressed with the young singer but felt that her voice was too sweet for her to really be able to sing the Blues. "He told me that I was really a balladeer and that I needed to experience more of life before I could really sing the Blues. At first I go mad at him, but he was right."

Well, Tobi Lark has definitely lived and experienced the glory and the pains of life. After working with BB King, her ambrosial vocals also embellished performances with the Impressions, the Four Tops, Ben E. King, Wilson Pickett, King Curtis, Cannonball Adderley, Duke Ellington, among others. In the late 60's Lark moved to Montreal with her young son after separating from her husband, where she left her mark at clubs like Rockhead's and then after performances at EXPO '67 moved to Toronto to work with Ronnie Hawkins. Soon after her arrival she was selected to play a lead role in the musical HAIR. From there Lark created the hugely successful Armageddon Revue at the Blue Orchid. Audiences have known her through stage and television performance with the Toronto Symphony or with the likes of Kenny Rogers. But few of us have been there during her downtimes when her son died; when her son's father died; when she was ill; or the tribulations of single parenting.

"I don't mean to sound corny but after the problems of changes in (life) it was so strange. It was like musically I quit. I wouldn't work much. But when I would sing and I would notice that people would respond to me. It strengthened me and made me so strong in the faith, that now I don't give a care who don't like it. I know that God brought me through in flying colours."

Lark's voice reflects the wisdom of a woman who's returned from the height of painful experience and a woman who understands the depth of her own power. Whether singing Chicago Blues, Mississippi Blues, Jazz, Pop or Gospel, Lark is confident about her soulful renditions. Impressed with advances made by women in the music industry, Lark strongly identifies with other vocalists notorious for doing things "my way".

"Etta James is my favourite right now because whether she sings the Blues, modern or old timey, she keeps that gospel influence. Bonnie Rait was singing her behind off but people weren't swinging her way. But look at her now. (She's doing well) because she took control of her life. Females now are taking control of their music. The males used to tell them how they had to sing or dress. They've become stronger as leaders in the music industry. They want to be their own person and do things on their own terms now."

Looking toward a promising future as she prepares to move back to Toronto from the Windsor/Detroit area, Lark is particularly excited about plans to perform reggae tunes combining Blues and Gospel. Lark is also in the process of confirming a distribution deal for her live CD which was recorded at Toronto's Judy Jazz club in the Spring 1995. Lark reminds me in some ways of another mighty Blues woman Billie Holiday - a woman who, despite narrow definitions of Blues and Jazz, always sings in the spirit of the Blues. Perhaps this is because Lark's southern roots remain, proudly, with her.

- Marva Jackson

Nice piece Pete

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...Can't believe some of the names that are being posted up here as being 'someone you would love to see live'...

Barbara Lynn's been over to Europe no less than three times in the past decade inclding twice (I think) to the UK, Bobby Bland's been here twice, ditto Irma Thomas at least a couple of times (I saw her in Italy not three months ago, and she was touring all through Europe - although, granted, she didn't come to the UK on this visit), Barbara Lewis once (at Cleethorpes, as I said earlier) and coming to Belgium in November - and that's just for starters. Obviously some of you lot need to get out more if you're missing artists of this calibre when they visit...

...consider yourselves admonished biggrin.gif:lol::lol:

TONE :yes:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert