Jump to content
  • Sign Up
The Tempest

Christine Cooper - Voices of Vista Lp - 1966

Recommended Posts

Picked this up on evil bay from the States the other night for £8.00 

It has " Heartaches Away My Boy " on it , which is one of my favourite oldies , 

Another member had a copy for sale recently on here , apparently it has a spoken intro , but not arrived yet so no idea what it will be like but for the pittance I paid , who cares ! 

My point is - does anyone know anything about the series , there seems quite a few about , promotional discs to promote the single release ? 

Any other decent Vista ones out there with Northern tracks on ?

I have a few of the Armed Forces Radio Service ones which have Beverley Ann , Joey Heatherton , Sharon Scott on , but never heard of the Vista series until recently 

 

 

 

image.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, soul shrews said:

Is it the same mix/version as the 45 ?

Cheers Paul

It comes at over two mins longer - so am guessing Miss Cooper is gonna tell us all about herself and the record , will post it up when I get it - but I like you just don't know !!! 

Edited by The Tempest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That seems to be the common issue with them , no track listing just artists ! If I hadn't seen one for sale on here in recent months I wouldn't of even looked at it ! Obscure to say the least 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a couple of these a many years back there is a intro from some Guy then Christine Cooper introduces her new record nice item bit different

Ian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Christine Cooper is a puzzle to me. I bought the Teri Nelson album donkeys years ago, and the version of S-O-S on that album is the same as the CC 45. 
I used to wonder if the vocalist on the Teri Nelson tracks was the same person as CC, but I read that Teri Nelson Group wasn't ever a group as such, just Teri and various backing vocalists she'd used. The photo on the album cover has three girls who all could be the same person as on the really poor quality video from those old Shivaree shows on youtube, she appears to have a gap between her front teeth but sadly the album photo has them posed with their mouths shut.
Is the general concensus that Parkway was not exactly run correctly/legally/ineptly ?
Has anyone got a clear photo of CC, or have any confirmed info on her?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Teri Nelson Group on this LP included two ex- Crystals- La La Brooks and Mary Thomas; La La is on the far left,Mary is 2nd from the right,back row.

Teri Nelson is seated at the front.  Christine Cooper ( John Clemente's definitive 'Girl Groups-Fabulous Females That Rocked The World' Girl Group bible states 'Betty Cooper',but this is,with respect, surely La La's memory at fault,unless Christine preferred to be known as Betty at this point) is 2nd from left,directly behind Ms.Nelson. The remaining singer,far right, is Ona Lee.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Michael V said:

The Teri Nelson Group on this LP included two ex- Crystals- La La Brooks and Mary Thomas; La La is on the far left,Mary is 2nd from the right,back row.

Teri Nelson is seated at the front.  Christine Cooper ( John Clemente's definitive 'Girl Groups-Fabulous Females That Rocked The World' Girl Group bible states 'Betty Cooper',but this is,with respect, surely La La's memory at fault,unless Christine preferred to be known as Betty at this point) is 2nd from left,directly behind Ms.Nelson. The remaining singer,far right, is Ona Lee.

 

 

 

 

 

D3215015-4781-45E7-A73C-56BFC1BF0E5B.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry,yes,my mistake-Barbara Alston of The Crystals(far left,front cover)-not La La Brooks! Did'nt have the LP to hand.Minds not working too well today..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Michael V said:

The Teri Nelson Group on this LP included two ex- Crystals- La La Brooks and Mary Thomas; La La is on the far left,Mary is 2nd from the right,back row.

Teri Nelson is seated at the front.  Christine Cooper ( John Clemente's definitive 'Girl Groups-Fabulous Females That Rocked The World' Girl Group bible states 'Betty Cooper',but this is,with respect, surely La La's memory at fault,unless Christine preferred to be known as Betty at this point) is 2nd from left,directly behind Ms.Nelson. The remaining singer,far right, is Ona Lee.

 

 

 

 

 

Although the name suggests otherwise, this was not a group. By contrast it was named for Teri Nelson, a young female vocalist from Harlem, New York, who was managed by Steve Camhi. During the late 1960s, the Super K Production company offered the then eighteen year old soloist a one year contract. After recording a few singles, Nelson's studio sessions were compiled into an album, which the Kama Sutra label released in 1968—purportedly without her knowledge—and promoted it as a group effort (comparatively, the artists pictured alongside Nelson on the album's cover are backing vocalists from the recording sessions). Nelson withdrew from her arrangement thereafter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, purist said:

Christine Cooper is a puzzle to me. I bought the Teri Nelson album donkeys years ago, and the version of S-O-S on that album is the same as the CC 45. I used to wonder if the vocalist on the Teri Nelson tracks was the same person as CC, but I read that Teri Nelson Group wasn't ever a group as such, just Teri and various backing vocalists she'd used. The photo on the album cover has three girls who all could be the same person as on the really poor quality video from those old Shivaree shows on youtube, she appears to have a gap between her front teeth but sadly the album photo has them posed with their mouths shut. Is the general concensus that Parkway was not exactly run correctly/legally/ineptly ?
Has anyone got a clear photo of CC, or have any confirmed info on her?

Christine Cooper remains an anomaly, I've been in touch with the Kasenetz-Katz people they really didn't remember a lot about her but are interested to find her again. Here's a picture of her with James Brown and Jerry Kasenetz from 1966. 

Christine Cooper.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/10/2018 at 13:23, The Tempest said:

Arrived this morning ! 

Best £8.00 I’ve spent in a long while !! 

 

Thanks for putting it up. But I can"t hear it as it contains "Warner Chappell" music and is blocked in Holland 😣 so is it the same as the 45?

Cheers Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Sign up/in to remove

11 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

 

Although the name suggests otherwise, this was not a group. By contrast it was named for Teri Nelson, a young female vocalist from Harlem, New York, who was managed by Steve Camhi. During the late 1960s, the Super K Production company offered the then eighteen year old soloist a one year contract. After recording a few singles, Nelson's studio sessions were compiled into an album, which the Kama Sutra label released in 1968—purportedly without her knowledge—and promoted it as a group effort (comparatively, the artists pictured alongside Nelson on the album's cover are backing vocalists from the recording sessions). Nelson withdrew from her arrangement thereafter.

I wonder how many beside 'Willie' have Teri on lead? SOS is definitely CC, so maybe there's other tracks that feature other girls on lead ? My hearing isn't that great to distinguish between them all, though Teri is different vocally to CC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, purist said:

sounds the same to me, just with an introduction

 

Thanks purist. Is it stereo being an LP ?

Would like one if anyone has one for sale

Cheers Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Chris L said:

Christine Cooper remains an anomaly, I've been in touch with the Kasenetz-Katz people they really didn't remember a lot about her but are interested to find her again. Here's a picture of her with James Brown and Jerry Kasenetz from 1966. 

Christine Cooper.jpg

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=9ycEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA8&lpg=PA8&dq=christine+cooper+cameo+parkway&source=bl&ots=vDFSjcNuWK&sig=OuN6g0EqlsjB0aEP3gMKFWNpjTU&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjhw8bur4_eAhUNecAKHRUeDGc4ChDoATAJegQIBhAB#v=onepage&q=christine cooper cameo parkway&f=false

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, soul shrews said:

Thanks purist. Is it stereo being an LP ?

Would like one if anyone has one for sale

Cheers Paul

Member - Prophonics 2029 had a copy for sale in the summer , might be worth seeing if he still has it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chris L said:

Not sure what your message actually is !! Could you write it in English 😀😀 

Sorry I thought I would add the link (which you press on) to read the article :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/10/2018 at 19:53, Blackpoolsoul said:

Sorry I thought I would add the link (which you press on) to read the article :)

OK, right, yes I have read it. I know a bit about her but she does remain a mystery. She seems to have just vanished into thin air !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Dave Moore said:

Chris,

You are aware that CC is in fact Tari Stevens and was the girlfriend of a famous Philadelphian that you have actually met? I'm sure we've had this conversation before?

Dave 

 

The depths of my small brain seems to recall a connection with Eddie Holman, but I am so old now :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Dave Moore said:

Chris,

You are aware that CC is in fact Tari Stevens and was the girlfriend of a famous Philadelphian that you have actually met? I'm sure we've had this conversation before?

Dave 

 

Always thought this was the case the B side of Tari Stevens False Alarm is They Call Him a Bad Boy, the same B side as Christine Cooper Heartaches Away My Boy.  Ian

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To Dave's credit he doesn't want to indulge  in shameless self promotion ... so everyone should know that there's some excellent material on Christine Cooper in Dave's brilliant book which every good home should own !

51ezbiDowHL._SX393_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, sunnysoul said:

To Dave's credit he doesn't want to indulge  in shameless self promotion ... so everyone should know that there's some excellent material on Christine Cooper in Dave's brilliant book which every good home should own !

51ezbiDowHL._SX393_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

 

Credit where credit's due.....

Is info on these 2 around or in his book ?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a little delicate subject but Eddie did indeed date Ms Tari Stevens who, in turn, was indeed Christine Cooper. Sadly, he has no idea where she is now though. The information was then confirmed/corroborated by the sound engineer of 'HAMB'.  I was desperate to find her in order try and get her on stage but all to no avail so far. 

Dave  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/10/2018 at 22:38, Dave Moore said:

Chris,

You are aware that CC is in fact Tari Stevens and was the girlfriend of a famous Philadelphian that you have actually met? I'm sure we've had this conversation before?

Dave 

 

Dave

Yes we have, I'd heard this "rumour" a few times, I did ask that with the Kasentz-Katz lot, they then asked someone else (who's name escapes me) and also they "thought so too" - what made me doubt was I was expecting to see her face in the Teri Nelson Group. Anyway wherever she is I'm desperately in love with her! 😍 😍

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Sign Up

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign up now!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts



×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.