Simon M

• Replies 305
  • Views 31.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Morning All

Freedon-High on you, had a few of this a while back, they all sold at 400 each

Power of Atorney Band - Love for you, sold this to some guy in St Albans for 300 about 3 years ago

Power of Atorney .. Nige parker had mine for a tenner ..Noooooooooo..

Social source share

QUOTE(C.B @ Dec 20 2006, 12:24 PM) link How about Ice "Reality" for your list? Should be pretty hard :thumbsup:

Butch got his copy from Japan under a tenner... :sleep3:

.. I thought Mike Charlton sold to Mark G ..then had it back and gave it to Sam. Sam then sold it to Butch

Mark was on another Forum ( House music Forum I think talking about it )

Social source share

Yeah Simon, before he was into northern per se he had a residency at a club in Wrexham, playing soul and motown and reggae several times a week. When you see him ask him about the time Peter powell came along and asked him to play some "Quo".

++++++++++++++++===

Hey Steve , How comes Martin doesn't sound Welsh .. I always ment to ask him ? Did he just get stuck there after Uni ?

Social source share

Could anyone post an audio of it? Why a plain yellow label issue missed this midtempo dancer off the b-side... All green/yellow copies have it, right?!

The Plain Yellow is a different Release / Catalogue Number.

The Green / Yellow release with "Give Me One More Chance" on one side was cancelled and the Release number given to another artist / title.

Sean

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Love came in to my life - florence trapp - you and i

12845 refosoul

Storming tune, so how rare do you think it is and how much ?

FLORENCE TRAPP!! - What a fabbo old style Soul name! :sweatingbullets: (No relation to the von Trapps of "Sound Of Music Fame" though I take it...) :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Florence Trapp: is a hard record, would think there are about 6 copies around in the UK. I have one, Butch, Wrighty, Robin's old copy, and I'm sure a couple of other people have mention it to me. So 6 copies isn't dog rare!!!!!!!!!

There are more copies around of The Del Larks & Robby Lawson, so I would say it's dog rare. Also with the level of record hunting that has gone on in the last 10 years and only that many have surfaced, it's rare. Did I say it's rare, amoungst the best of the Detroit collectors, in Detroit I only know of one copy. It's rare.

But it isn't as GOOD as The De-Larks or Robby Lawson, is it??

Social source share

Guest mel brat

It was imported into London as a new release. :thumbsup::sweatingbullets:

If you're talking about the side on WMOT, I bought one from Soul Bowl for £2.50 C.1982.

Sold it 1989 though. Cheap.

Social source share

Paul Thompson was a new release in 1970, that's interesting to hear Sam was playing it around 12 years before I first heard it played out by Poke

From a tape I recorded of Poke at Cleethorpes Winter Gardens circa 82/83

Lester Tolkin - special kind of loving

can you remember these c/u's too?

Eddie Richards & the Three Way Split - don't make ladies

Tony Raymonds - we're gonna make it

Jacki Jacobs - don't make you feel funky

Notables - midnight seranade (an instr.)

Johnny 'guitar' Watson - because I love you

Johnny Pearson - i will stay with you forever

As was posted elsewhere - the first two were Horizon and Hugh Boynton.....how about Young Devines on Note "Ain't that Sharp" for the Notables, Rick Shepherd "Just You and Me" for Johnny Pearson...Jacki Jacobs - was this Deep South Dance Band? Probably not as that was "Don't it make you feel good" and I remember the Jacki Jacobs was a crunching stomper? A bit harder than the DSDB.

Halcyon days Simon!

Cheers. Robin.

Social source share

As was posted elsewhere - the first two were Horizon and Hugh Boynton.....how about Young Devines on Note "Ain't that Sharp" for the Notables, Rick Shepherd "Just You and Me" for Johnny Pearson...Jacki Jacobs - was this Deep South Dance Band? Probably not as that was "Don't it make you feel good" and I remember the Jacki Jacobs was a crunching stomper? A bit harder than the DSDB.

Halcyon days Simon!

Cheers. Robin.

Well done Robin, though having owned all the records at one time is a bit of an advantage for you! The JJ was Winston Hewitt - I'm feeling good - Boss Records. Can't remember the DSDB being covered up, was it?

Poke's cover ups seem to have consisted of the name of some UK citizen completely removed from soul music, plus then taking the title and changing the last word to another not actually in the song!

Social source share

Well done Robin, though having owned all the records at one time is a bit of an advantage for you! The JJ was Winston Hewitt - I'm feeling good - Boss Records. Can't remember the DSDB being covered up, was it?

Poke's cover ups seem to have consisted of the name of some UK citizen completely removed from soul music, plus then taking the title and changing the last word to another not actually in the song!

Is Poke's mate Gary S on here .. I heard from Darren I think , that he was ill ?

Social source share

Top bloke Gary . remember him popping up everywhere . ..Loughboro early 80's niters with Poke ?

Gary (Smelt) was a Sheffield / Rotherham lad.

Knew him from the early 70's.

Always had great taste.

Got into the "Jazz Funk" scene mid / late 70's.

Did a few bits with Steve Croft at that time, various gigs.

Started working for Soul Bowl early 80's and turned up a lot of nice records.

Had a great record list (Black Knight) in his day and had an awesome warehouse full of stock in Sheffield (90's) which I visited often.

When he became ill, he sold up the lot to Tim Brown.

Top, Top Lad.

Sean

Social source share

There are several 'ard Atco releases,

Dead right Steve.

Awesome logo.... always been one of my favourites...

Well remember when I first played Na Allen "Thanks For Nothing" down at Thorne, early 90's.

Had it in the playbox for over 10 years... just waiting for the right moment.

At the time it was well ard... turned up since, obviously, but still holding its value well and still a top drawer double sider.

Same for Al Hudson "I'm About Loving" ....still a fave... as is Vivian Reed..... Al Perkins atco take of "Yes My Goodness Yes" (and a few mindblowing deepies from Peggy Scott inc the Sam dees penned "I Can't say No") the Andy Champan's (T Tates) of this world... but if we're talking seriously hard records on this thread.. I reckon the Charnessa & Charmettes 45 is as rare as RSH, both sides penned by Sam Dees in the shape of "Personal Woman B/w I Can Feel My love Coming Down".... in the box now... maybe waiting for the right moment!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Dead right Steve.

Well remember when I first played Na Allen "Thanks For Nothing" down at Thorne, early 90's.

Had it in the playbox for over 10 years... just waiting for the right moment.

At the time it was well ard... turned up since, obviously, but still holding its value well and still a top drawer double sider.

Same for Al Hudson "I'm About Loving" ....still a fave... as is Vivian Reed..... Al Perkins atco take of "Yes My Goodness Yes" (and a few mindblowing deepies from Peggy Scott inc the Sam dees penned "I Can't say No") the Andy Champan's (T Tates) of this world... but if we're talking seriously hard records on this thread.. I reckon the Charnessa & Charmettes 45 is as rare as RSH, both sides penned by Sam Dees in the shape of "Personal Woman B/w I Can Feel My love Coming Down".... in the box now... maybe waiting for the right moment!

Sean

Well, best it be Yarmuff that is that moment !

Social source share

The Plain Yellow is a different Release / Catalogue Number.

The Green / Yellow release with "Give Me One More Chance" on one side was cancelled and the release number given to another artist / title.

Sean

Thanks for the info Sean. Just thought Magic Mirror was actually the same song as Mirror Mirror... how about it? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Thanks for the info Sean. Just thought Magic Mirror was actually the same song as Mirror Mirror... how about it? :D

"Magic Mirror" is not only a different Catalogue Number but its also a 5 min version of the original (Yellow label) "Mirror Mirror". it also features Walter Jones (ex Notations) on vocals, so they are different recordings (of the same tune!).

Sean

Social source share

Another major label \one I've been playing on and off for about 10 years - Darrow Fletcher "Let's get together" on Atco. There are several 'ard Atco releases, including a blinding deep soul,,,,,oh yeah we're on modern on this thread aren't we ....

Yeah we are on a Modern thread Steve .. and who mentioned the Del Larks :D:P

A Happy and Soulful Christmas everyone !! :thumbsup:

Simon

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

Dead right Steve.

I reckon the Charnessa & Charmettes 45 is as rare as RSH, both sides penned by Sam Dees in the shape of "Personal Woman B/w I Can Feel My love Coming Down".... in the box now... maybe waiting for the right moment!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Yes it's a very good version. Soul Bowl had a couple a while back. Steve

Social source share

"Magic Mirror" is not only a different Catalogue Number but its also a 5 min version of the original (Yellow label) "Mirror Mirror". it also features Walter Jones (ex Notations) on vocals, so they are different recordings (of the same tune!).

:D

Sean

Great Sean! So Mirror Mirror was the first and Magic Mirror(re-recorded) was the second but with another great midtempo, right? How did you know that important detail(Walter Jones on vocals) then?! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Great Sean! So Mirror Mirror was the first and Magic Mirror(re-recorded) was the second but with another great midtempo, right? How did you know that important detail(Walter Jones on vocals) then?! :thumbsup:

A guy who interviewed the group.

We exchanged a couple of emails. Can't remember his name, details,they must be on my PC at work.

He's the one who turned up the 4 copies (that I mentioned earlier). (Bob ?).

Nice record.

Sean

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Power of Atorney .. Nige parker had mine for a tenner ..Noooooooooo..

Hi Simon

I got your old copy from Nigel about 16-17 years ago in a trade for a copy of The Rappin' Reverend 'I Ain't Into That' + £15.

I've since sold it on last year to Paul Phillips via ebay.

All the Best

Mark G

Social source share

.. I thought Mike Charlton sold to Mark G ..then had it back and gave it to Sam. Sam then sold it to Butch

Mark was on another Forum ( House music Forum I think talking about it )

True story Simon, it pisses me off when this record is mentioned or when Butch plays it.

I purchased a copy from Mike Charlton around 1990 for £30. About a week or so later Mike got in touch with me and asked for the record back as Sam wanted a copy and Mike assured me that further copies were on his way to him and I'd have a replacement copy very soon. I vaguely re-call some issues in Middlesborough at the time so I didn't hassle Mike about the record and just made a note of it to deal with at the right time.

Fast forward many years later, I'm dj'ing at the Bridge & Tunnel with Butch, he plays Ice which got me wondering what happened to my copy.

I'm lead to believe that mine went to Sam via Mike (I thought he left the country). This copy then went to Chris Huggins which then went to Butch.

Butch may well have got another one from Japan, either way Mike Charlton still owes me this bloody record !!!

BTW. I've always found the Tab Walton a bugger to find.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert