chatty profile photo

Blue eyed soul

Posted

Mick Hucknall has been doing the rounds recently pushing his soon to be released  new Album, Blue Eyed Soul.

Got me wondering how long has the term been around, does it pre date the Northern scene or is it more recent.

Anyone?

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
6 minutes ago, chatty said:

Mick Hucknall has been doing the rounds recently pushing his soon to be released  new Album, Blue Eyed Soul.

Got me wondering how long has the term been around, does it pre date the Northern scene or is it more recent.

Anyone?

 

Biddu.  Had a album called Blue eyed soul in about 1975. The only way at the time to get Exodus . A instrumental track that was getting played at the time 

Steve 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

Georgie Woods a philly DJ used it to describe The Righteous Brothers after seeing them in concert .... 

It stuck , they liked it and so 

they went on to name their 1964 Lp - Blue Eyed Soul , the rest as they say is history ! 

Edited by The Tempest
  • Up vote 5

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

It's funny because the general impression is copycat artists stealing original black music and making a more commercially viable recording.

However John Anderson RIP does talk about white artists loving the music and trying to emulate the sound.

I think I'd definitely pre dates Northern as a term.

Just look at the stuff by Dusty S and Bobby G

Ed

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Always get the impression it's seen as a derogatory term by some on the northern scene. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
10 minutes ago, Leicester Boy said:

Always get the impression it's seen as a derogatory term by some on the northern scene. 

I'd say derogatory on the rare soul scene....but Northern?  A bit rich for that scene to be all puritanical....

Ed

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, chatty said:

Mick Hucknall has been doing the rounds recently pushing his soon to be released  new Album, Blue Eyed Soul.

Got me wondering how long has the term been around, does it pre date the Northern scene or is it more recent.

Anyone?

 

The Shades of Blue got there name from being white,they were given that name by John Rhys the sound engineer. Chris. 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

mid 60ts 64/65


Blue-eyed soul (also known as white soul) is rhythm and blues and soul music performed by white artists. The term was coined in the mid-1960s, to describe white artists who performed soul and R&B that was similar to the music of the Motown and Stax record labels.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
5 minutes ago, Zoomsoulblue said:

mid 60ts 64/65


Blue-eyed soul (also known as white soul) is rhythm and blues and soul music performed by white artists. The term was coined in the mid-1960s, to describe white artists who performed soul and R&B that was similar to the music of the Motown and Stax record labels.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki

links not working

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-eyed_soul

2 hours ago, The Tempest said:

Georgie Woods a philly DJ used it to describe The Righteous Brothers after seeing them in concert .... 

It stuck , they liked it and so 

they went on to name their 1964 Lp - Blue Eyed Soul , the rest as they say is history ! 

there's an article knocking around based on that 

here are

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
3 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

It's funny because the general impression is copycat artists stealing original black music and making a more commercially viable recording.

However John Anderson RIP does talk about white artists loving the music and trying to emulate the sound.

I think I'd definitely pre dates Northern as a term.

Just look at the stuff by Dusty S and Bobby G

Ed

don't get the bobby g reference

to me like many others he was just a mainstream pop singer having a  go at a certain style that was popular at the time for whatever reasons.

What was it with him,  just the 2 or 3 tracks with a certain beat/style, 100s without? say not really a qualification that earns anyone the right to be tagged a 'soul' artist, be it blue eyed or what ever

quite a few 'blue eyed' had and got and delivered the 'soul' but I'd say not him... imo

 

 

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Prime example of blue eyed soul here in the states is The Magnificent Men.

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike said:

links not working

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-eyed_soul

there's an article knocking around based on that 

here are

 

Except that Bill Millar makes the oft-repeated and wholly incorrect assumption that Ben Aiken (of Loma and Phily Groove fame) was white  ...

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
4 hours ago, recordsnracin said:

Prime example of blue eyed soul here in the states is The Magnificent Men.

Tempests, Billy Harner, Len Barry, Matt Lucas, Intentions and loads of others. The Beach scene especially is littered with singers/groups who knew exactly what style of music they were singing.  

Dave 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

If you click on the link below it has Numerous comments ref blue eyed soul - however one thing I certainly didn’t know was R&B replaced the term used at the time “race music”
 

Mike ErricoJuly 11, 2016 

Interpretations of “blue,” as in “sad,” date as far back as 1385, and Chaucer’s poem, The Complaint of Mars. In the late 1940s, Jerry Wexler, a white Billboard writer who later became a partner at Atlantic records, coined the term “Rhythm and Blues,” or “R&B,” to replace the then-used term “race music.” In effect, R&B became a blanket genre for black artists, and the convention has largely remained today.

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/07/08/blue-eyed-soul-hate-phrase/

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

From my first book (sorry for the photos, no word file)...

 

soul BF12A81D 172B 4291 88B2 BC96D19DE615

soul 09D6AC5D DA64 44C3 B408 7EBD4459AD8C

Edited by Windlesoul
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

There are some great blue eyed soul artists who made real soul recordings , original and copy,s, Wayne Cochrane, PJ Proby ect spring to mind no race or colour has a monopoly on Soul it’s inside all human beings some more than others, if it’s good music it’s good music regardless of what nation you belong too It,s  the great equaliser what brings good souls together

KR

Mick Lyons

 

  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

To be honest I do find some of the 'blue eyed' stuff leans more towards the 'pop' end of the spectrum, but there are some really good 45's also....Temptones on Arctic, Enchanters on Tee Pee etc.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

Of the 20-ish biographies I covered in “Its Better To Cry”, I think 17 were white groups, with a couple of them carrying a black lead vocal. All of genuine northern interest and most ‘from’ the late or post Wigan period. 

 

soul CDC5DF04 7B39 4A21 9015 6624CC1AC23E

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted
8 hours ago, Sunnysoul said:

Except that Bill Millar makes the oft-repeated and wholly incorrect assumption that Ben Aiken (of Loma and Phily Groove fame) was white  ...

They keep mixing him up with Ben Atkins who was a white soul singer....

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Posted

This thread gives me a chance to mention a great out and out Northern Soul dancer that I've just found, it's in the Tempests 'Someday' mode and it's by the Swingin' Medallions on their first LP. Track is 'M.T.Y.L.T.T' (More Today Than Yesterday) on Smash...check it out, it would go down a storm!

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url

All About the SOUL - Source Forum

Jump into the northern soul music & beyond talk now!

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

  1. Britain's blue-eyed soul girls
    All About the SOUL by Kolla on Sat 18 Sep 2004
    • 14 / 2265
    • Kolla on 20 Sep 2004
  2. Fave Blue Eyed Soul Record
    All About the SOUL by Soulsmith on Tue 22 Feb 2005
    • 1 / 476
    • Soulsmith on 22 Feb 2005
  3. Fave Blue Eyed Soul Record
    All About the SOUL by Soulsmith on Tue 22 Feb 2005
    • 100 / 6821
    • nordic soul on 24 Feb 2005
  4. Blue Eyed Rarity Survivors On Valli
    Record Sales by Guest lotusland on Tue 28 Feb 2006
    • 1 / 416
    • lotusland on 28 Feb 2006
  5. Blue Eyed Soul L.ps
    Record Sales by Guest sadsam on Tue 12 Feb 2008
    • 5 / 685
    • sadsam on 15 Feb 2008
  6. The Chancellors - Nebraska Blue Eyed Soul
    Look At Your Box by Guest rosies dad on Fri 23 Apr 2010
    • 19 / 1515
    • rosies dad on 10 Sep 2010
  7. A Definitive List Of Rare Souls Blue Eyed Artists?
    All About the SOUL by Guest rosies dad on Thu 02 Sep 2010
    • 1 / 306
    • rosies dad on 02 Sep 2010

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.