Boots, Re Issues Or Promo's Whats The Difference

How do I do that

Just got to your controls at the top of the page & then click PM once you are in there.

I was only joking though Pete, if she had been still logged on you would have felt the full force of the dragons breath mate :thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 102
  • Views 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

biggrin.gif

You got to have a larf Sean.

Come on Pete (whoever) lighten up, it's all just opinions at the end of the day. You will probably find that most people who argue the toss on here would happily share a drink with each other if they met out :thumbsup:

I agree

sorry if I offended anyone,

Yours in Soul

Pete

Social source share

Just got to your controls at the top of the page & then click PM once you are in there.

I was only joking though Pete, if she had been still logged on you would have felt the full force of the dragons breath mate :yes:

:thumbsup:

Still time mate. Its still dark out rolleyes.gif

Social source share

I was only joking though Pete, if she had been still logged on you would have felt the full force of the dragons breath mate :thumbsup:

LOL

Social source share

Wow this is the most profound and intelligent post I have read on here all year Thanks Petmac I have just been on Goldsoul,Yesmanone and a few other of your mates and have just picked up £10000 worth of vinyl for £30! you have opend mine eyesballs i wus blond but now I brunette.How clever of them to put two different artists on one 45 and all done with a clever lokky likey lable.I have now changed my collecting ways for ever. :thumbsup:

Grow up

Social source share

Well I've been at it for a few years longer than you and the reason is that back in the day we didn't know how to contact producers artists and label owners. Now we do we should pay them their dues as they are the ones that made this utterly brilliant music for us. why not let them share in it's belated success now we can.

Nobody's slagged off re-issue 45s just bootlegs. The royalties should be paid on manufacture each time a piece of music or a song is issued and permission should be granted from the legal owner. So why do some people think they are above that and the music's theirs to do with it what they will?

We've debated all the arguments on here ad infinitum so it's rather pathetic of you to join up and call us whingers. We just care a bit more about the musical rights than you obviously do. Your little rant seems quite whingey to me!

Sorry I've only been on the scene since 1973, and do you greet all your members this way?

Social source share

Agree.

It's my Birthday.

Get the Beer in!

biggrin.gif

Happy birthday Sean, i'll crack one open & drink it in your honor :thumbsup:

Same day as my daughter actually, we just had to stay up so she could open her cards at midnight. Never get her up in the morning now !

Social source share

Thank You

Social source share

Happy birthday Sean, i'll crack one open & drink it in your honor :thumbsup:

Same day as my daughter actually, we just had to stay up so she could open her cards at midnight. Never get her up in the morning now !

Cheers Mate,

And Happy Birthday to your daughter!

I must admit........... I stayed up until midnight to open my cards too!

:yes:

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

Well I've been at it for a few years longer than you and the reason is that back in the day we didn't know how to contact producers artists and label owners. Now we do we should pay them their dues as they are the ones that made this utterly brilliant music for us. why not let them share in it's belated success now we can.

Nobody's slagged off re-issue 45s just bootlegs. The royalties should be paid on manufacture each time a piece of music or a song is issued and permission should be granted from the legal owner. So why do some people think they are above that and the music's theirs to do with it what they will?

We've debated all the arguments on here ad infinitum so it's rather pathetic of you to join up and call us whingers. We just care a bit more about the musical rights than you obviously do. Your little rant seems quite whingey to me!

How many promos have you bought and sold?

Social source share

Still can't find PM at the top?

Pete

Social source share

Hello, welcome to the community and thanks for expressing your views.

Are you by any chance related to yesterday's new member whose first post was also in defence of bootleggers?

Anyway, it's nice to see so many new members joining up.

Best regards,

Paul Mooney

No ?

Social source share

pms.gif

LOL - I can't even agree with someone without it upsetting them - quality comedy gold biggrin.gif

Social source share

I might be getting this wrong and I don't wish to upset anyone, but if you are a firm believer in the Artist, writer and record companies getting their share, why don't we pay royalties through PPS and PRS etc.

just for info

under the current system it is the venue which has to have a ppl and prs licence not the dj - and all venues have it inc supermarkets that play a radio etc. prs and ppl are very active in pursuing this - where do you think paul mccartney gets his money from!

However, allow me to throw a spanner in the works here, and please dont think i'm sticking up for our controvertial friend, any soul night which produces a CD wether given away or otherwise SHOULD have an MCPS licence AND permission from the rights owners. MCPS is the mechanical protection copyright society and if you change the medium of any recording (say from vinyl to CD or even to hard disc) then you need an MCPS licence to cover you for that

Now ive done this in the past and I do have an MCPS licence which I maintain from my radio days, however we are all very good at spouting who's right and who's wrong but in reality when you transfer vinyl to cd or tape or when your soul night makes a CD - how many of us actually walk the talk and pay the royalties?

Basically, anyone without an MCPS licence that has an mp3 file of any recorded work on their pc is a bootlegger. So i guess I am and everyone else on the site including the site itself!

the argument will come back 'well, you aint making money by doing that' - well whilst that is true on the mp3 hard disc thing, it is still just as illegal in the law as selling them. It could also be argued that you are mnaking money because you havent had to pay for the track or for the rights to have it on your pc - is saving money not the same as not spending it? and as for gain on a freebie cd - well making a cd to get more in your club this week constitutes a gain from the door money - a financial gain indirectly.

Just to throw one atcha and re-ignite the debate! :thumbsup:

Social source share

I might be getting this wrong and I don't wish to upset anyone, but if you are a firm believer in the Artist, writer and record companies getting their share, why don't we pay royalties through PPS and PRS etc.

I've played in bands for 30 odd years and it was always the club who paid the PRS , not the band.

Is it not the same for DJ'ing i.e the venue pays the PRS license.

Social source share

get a life

What!? Millibrand made a funny post on your crap thread (that's been done a thousand times before on here btw) and you come back with that crap comment!? Noticed you've used it on other members as well. Think you need to revise your attitude a little old son.

u don't have a clue

No that would be you mate.

:wicked:

:rolleyes: Best post on this sorry arsed thread thus far.

Social source share

Oooh! You've got a point there :rolleyes: I don't do drugs so I don't really know the financial gain.

Out of interest, what do so called bootleg records sell for? Is it fair to assume they're recouperating their outlay and a little more? Really, I don't know as I've never bought one. They can't be making big bucks on individual recordings.

It's an interesting subject though. Original records, that sell for .. lets say 800 quid, don't pay royalties at all to the copywrite holder or artiste and they could be sold 4 to 5 times in year say. A bootleg might only sell the same amount financially and again, pay no royalties.

So, you have very rare records changing hands for silly amounts of money - not changing the fiscal lives of the copywrite owner and bootlegs doing exactly the same, again, not enhancing the fiscality of the copywrite owner.

What's the difference? Irrespective of the originality of the recording, no-one's making anything except the seller.

I've just called that into question really. Originally, the artists, record companies and copywrite owners didn't really earn anything at all. After all, to be rare, not many copies were either made or sold at all. Your arguement is defunct.

What about the 190000 tracks your boasting on your site free to down load have you payed the royalties on them!!

A record is a second hand piece of material, any monies owed to the group wouldhave been payed in the initial selling of said record

Social source share

Thanks Rachel Will do

Did not mean to offend

What do you mean, "didn't mean to offend" You said that every other post and then told another person to get a life or grow up or............ Have you been this rude all your life or is it just an old age thing!!!!!!!!

PS, Boy am I having a shit day

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

What do you mean, "didn't mean to offend" You said that every other post and then told another person to get a life or grow up or............ Have you been this rude all your life or is it just an old age thing!!!!!!!!

PS, Boy am I having a shit day

think he was bullied at school dave...now he's taking it out on the world, he's one angry man

p.s. don varner arrived yesterday, thanks mate

Social source share

I've just called that into question really. Originally, the artists, record companies and copywrite owners didn't really earn anything at all. After all, to be rare, not many copies were either made or sold at all. Your arguement is defunct.

Karen, they earnt from whatever copies were sold at the time the record was pressed. Many of our so called rareties sold well locally (which was sometimes as far as the company expected to sell anyway) at the time.

If the record bombed that's all the more reason why the creators should earn some dosh now it is finally being appreciated as good music.

Any re-selling of original records is irrelevant here as the royalties had already been sorted on issue. But they should earn royalties everytime the music is reproduced for sale be it on CD, vinyl or downloads. If people are earning money from re-releasing the recording they should pay the people who created it in the first place.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Karen, they earnt from whatever copies were sold at the time the record was pressed. Many of our so called rareties sold well locally (which was sometimes as far as the company expected to sell anyway) at the time.

If the record bombed that's all the more reason why the creators should earn some dosh now it is finally being appreciated as good music.

Any re-selling of original records is irrelevant here as the royalties had already been sorted on issue. But they should earn royalties everytime the music is reproduced for sale be it on CD, vinyl or downloads. If people are earning money from re-releasing the recording they should pay the people who created it in the first place.

Bearing in mind the 50 year royalty rule, that Cliff Richard amongst others, tried unsuccesfully to get extended.

Will the arguement about royalties end in say 10-15 years time? Or is now the final chance to get some financial reward where many would like to see it go to. The artists, writers producers etc.

Social source share

Bearing in mind the 50 year royalty rule, that Cliff Richard amongst others, tried unsuccesfully to get extended.

Will the arguement about royalties end in say 10-15 years time? Or is now the final chance to get some financial reward where many would like to see it go to. The artists, writers producers etc.

The directors of Ace / Kent records don't believe in the fifty year rule (I'm not sure that it's finalised yet anyway) and we continue to pay royalties on records we re-release older than that. I think that's admirable and a heartening example of ethical business. So we can keep buying their products knowing the right people will be rewarded.

Social source share

Only the ones that talk bollocks and are disrespectful. If you think you have a valid argument state your case without the insults.

Fair comment will do

Social source share

Fair comment will do

Hello,

The fifty-year copyright rule for sound recordings applies to EU territories but it is likely to be extended soon. Meanwhile, most respectable UK record companies don't take advantage of current legislation, they continue to account to artists and / or copyright owners on recordings made prior to June 1957.

By the way, the fifty-year rule does not apply to writers and publishers.

None of these points, however, should be allowed to distract from the original topic of illegal bootleggers. They are breaking every rule, legally and morally.

And one more point: PRS collect for writers and publishers, not artists, so PRS-licensed venues do not benefit artists.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Plenty the royalties were sorted out on them when the record was pressed you don't have to pay them every time a record changes hands.

i think the point he was trying to make was that no royalties are paid on promo copies, and technically they remain the property of the record company (although whether that could actually be enforced in law is another matter). i understand artists often unwittingly have to pay for promotional materials (i.e. it's taken out of their potential earnings), and that included the white label promo copies...

Social source share

just for info

under the current system it is the venue which has to have a ppl and prs licence not the dj - and all venues have it inc supermarkets that play a radio etc. prs and ppl are very active in pursuing this - where do you think paul mccartney gets his money from!

However, allow me to throw a spanner in the works here, and please dont think i'm sticking up for our controvertial friend, any soul night which produces a CD wether given away or otherwise SHOULD have an MCPS licence AND permission from the rights owners. MCPS is the mechanical protection copyright society and if you change the medium of any recording (say from vinyl to CD or even to hard disc) then you need an MCPS licence to cover you for that

Now ive done this in the past and I do have an MCPS licence which I maintain from my radio days, however we are all very good at spouting who's right and who's wrong but in reality when you transfer vinyl to cd or tape or when your soul night makes a CD - how many of us actually walk the talk and pay the royalties?

Basically, anyone without an MCPS licence that has an mp3 file of any recorded work on their pc is a bootlegger. So i guess I am and everyone else on the site including the site itself!

the argument will come back 'well, you aint making money by doing that' - well whilst that is true on the mp3 hard disc thing, it is still just as illegal in the law as selling them. It could also be argued that you are mnaking money because you havent had to pay for the track or for the rights to have it on your pc - is saving money not the same as not spending it? and as for gain on a freebie cd - well making a cd to get more in your club this week constitutes a gain from the door money - a financial gain indirectly.

Just to throw one atcha and re-ignite the debate! :lol:

Whooops ! With all the backstabbing & arguing that appears to go on between promotors i bet this one has made a few bums twitch !

Probably why it's a bit quiet, they are all sat penning grass up letters to the recording authorities :no:

Social source share

Sorry I've only been on the scene since 1973, and do you greet all your members this way?

sorry ady, ignorance is no defecne ask any judge?

sorry pete

Social source share

Sorry ady ignorance is no defence

Social source share

"Yours in SOUL"!!!??? You're comments are bloody disgrace! It's not that Bootlegs are illegal, it's that they are simply immoral - something you obviously don't undersatnd. As to the artist not receiving any benefit from the re-selling of his original, legally issued records, that is because he has (hopefully) already received royalties on these. If not then blame the record company. Bootlegs are bootlegs whatever gloss you put on them. How would you like YOUR work being ripped off by others for their own profit, with none of the cash finding it's way back to you? I'll stop "whinging" when the sharks and low-lifes who think it perfectly OK to cheat and steal from the artists they profess to admire, leave the Soul scene completely and crawl back under their stones.

Yours in anger...

Perhaps selling and buying of dj, promo copies is ok and the artists benefit from this. ?

Social source share

Plenty the royalties were sorted out on them when the record was pressed you don't have to pay them every time a record changes hands.

artists did not recieve roylaties from promos etc. who are you kidding

Social source share

Well. I have read some bullsh1t in my life but some of this takes the biscuit. All of you that slagged anyone off should hang your heads in shame. Every last one of us on the northern soul scene has at one time owned a boot,reissue, or whatever you want to call them and been proud of it ! (yes I do know the difference before the clever people get started) So please get off your high horses. Most of the records we love,cherish,hunt down,beg for,buy and sell were made by artists that gave away their rights, just to get a song on vinyl ( for the love of the music ) NO !!! it is not ok to bootleg and we all know that, but to begin to quote the law on what we can and cant do is a bit silly, The whole northern scene was/is built on something illegal, whether you like it or not ! as usual, there are some that think they know better because they were on the scene before someone else and that is just being a stuck up snobb ! Most of you that had a good old moan on this post are either promoters or record dealers and YOU make the most money out the records/artists, which means by your own arguements that you are the worst of us all !!!!!

Mark (30+ years experience of northern soul and still learning !!!!!)

Social source share

Well. I have read some bullsh1t in my life but some of this takes the biscuit. All of you that slagged anyone off should hang your heads in shame. Every last one of us on the northern soul scene has at one time owned a boot,reissue, or whatever you want to call them and been proud of it ! (yes I do know the difference before the clever people get started) So please get off your high horses. Most of the records we love,cherish,hunt down,beg for,buy and sell were made by artists that gave away their rights, just to get a song on vinyl ( for the love of the music ) NO !!! it is not ok to bootleg and we all know that, but to begin to quote the law on what we can and cant do is a bit silly, The whole northern scene was/is built on something illegal, whether you like it or not ! as usual, there are some that think they know better because they were on the scene before someone else and that is just being a stuck up snobb ! Most of you that had a good old moan on this post are either promoters or record dealers and YOU make the most money out the records/artists, which means by your own arguements that you are the worst of us all !!!!!

Mark (30+ years experience of northern soul and still learning !!!!!)

All that is required for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing (or get off their high horses as you put it)

Social source share