Moaning Us Ebay Buyer

Craig W

I've sold an Lp on Ebay tonight for the pricely sum of £4.99 with shipping costs clearly stated as £2.50 UK , £4.00 Europe and £6.00 USA and worldwide. I use a good quality cardboard mailer and 2 sheets of corrugated cardboard to ship it airmail rate in.I have no negative (2613 positive) feedbacks

The US buyer who has a 118 feedback e mailed me and complained (I will now quote exactly word for word any exchanges)

"Item: ENO 1973 UK POLYDOR LP HERE COME THE WARM JETS (200065716796)

This message was sent after the listing closed.

cymbline81 is the winner.

-------------------------------------------------------

"This also means that I am paying more in shipping that the actual price of the item."

So I politely replied

"Hello

That is the actual cost of the shipping as I use specially made mailers to

keep the records safe in transit.

The shipping costs were on the item page but if you do not want to go

through with the transaction I will understand fully and will re list it.

Many thanks

Craig"

To which he replied

"I'm sorry that I did not notice your outragous shipping cost. Twelve dollars us shipping is absolutly crazy and I will be willing to bet when it arrives to my door it will have cost you less than half for the shipping. I understand that it is my fault because it was clearly listed but the cost is still unreasonable."

Any suggestions what I should do next?

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest vinylvixen

Wrap it in brown paper.

Weigh it.

Charge him exact cost plus one dollar for s+h.

Bend it over your knee.

Send it to him.

A genius solution...but sadly, I think he'd miss the irony... :wave::Dbiggrin.gif But it made me laugh.... :lol: Jo

Social source share

typical yank...12 dollars / 6 quid is what most of them charge for postage for a album, tell him that the deal stands, but dont leave any feedback until he does, if he tries to back out of deal, file a non paying bidder claim, remember this is the race who get manships price guide, find a record thats in it, then advertise said fucked copy as mint

Social source share

I've now had this reply so no need to go to drastic measures as suggested.

"Thank you for your prompt reply. I thank you for your time and i am sorry about winning the item but, I would not care to go through with the transaction. I thank you again for giving me the chance to decline after I won the item."

What a wanker. wanker.gif

Social source share

I've now had this reply so no need to go to drastic measures as suggested.

"Thank you for your prompt reply. I thank you for your time and i am sorry about winning the item but, I would not care to go through with the transaction. I thank you again for giving me the chance to decline after I won the item."

What a wanker. wanker.gif

youve got 90 days to leave feedback, leave him negative on the 90th day then its too late for him to hit you back, report him as a non paying bidder, then you get your fees refunded & he gets a non paying bidder strike, 3 strikes & your account is closed

Social source share

I sometimes wonder if it is worth selling albums on ebay at all. I have to charge $15 for air shipping to Europe and I am positive it puts buyers off. But how else do you sell them?

I heard yesterday that Canada Post's costs are going up again on the 15th!!

Social source share

I've sold an Lp on Ebay tonight for the pricely sum of £4.99 with shipping costs clearly stated as £2.50 UK , £4.00 Europe and £6.00 USA and worldwide. I use a good quality cardboard mailer and 2 sheets of corrugated cardboard to ship it airmail rate in.I have no negative (2613 positive) feedbacks

The US buyer who has a 118 feedback e mailed me and complained (I will now quote exactly word for word any exchanges)

"This also means that I am paying more in shipping that the actual price of the item."

So I politely replied

"Hello

Many thanks

Craig"

To which he replied

"I'm sorry that I did not notice your outragous shipping cost. Twelve dollars us shipping is absolutly crazy and I will be willing to bet when it arrives to my door it will have cost you less than half for the shipping. I understand that it is my fault because it was clearly listed but the cost is still unreasonable."

Craig just find a few random sellers who are charging the same or more and send him the links to them. I charge £4.75 postage for an album to the US by the way :lol:

is that the album with "Baby's On Fire" on it??

Social source share

So I politely replied

"Hello

Many thanks

Craig"

To which he replied

I've had this on a couple of occasions - as well as the already mentioned....that it is the actual cost of postage & packing to the USA, and actually cheaper than they would have to charge to send the equivalent to me......invite him to scour Ebay and when he finds a UK seller who will send an LP airmail for 'half that price', you'll match it.......offer him surface mail, but be sure to point out the extremely long wait for his buy......

And stick him some negative feedback....thats what its for......

Girf

Social source share

he must have seen the shipping costs in the article description. trying to cop out later is simply not on. I've bought several LPs from US sellers & have always paid an average of $12 airmail to spain. he's clearly in breach. hit the shite hard where it hurts.

Social source share

I've had this on a couple of occasions - as well as the already mentioned....that it is the actual cost of postage & packing to the USA, and actually cheaper than they would have to charge to send the equivalent to me......invite him to scour Ebay and when he finds a UK seller who will send an LP airmail for 'half that price', you'll match it.......offer him surface mail, but be sure to point out the extremely long wait for his buy......

Girf

Seriously, here's what should be done given his refusal to continue:

1. File an Unpaid Item Dispute after the 7th day, giving the reason that the buyer has not sent payment.

2. After a week, close the dispute, and opt to give him an unpaid item STRIKE.

3. Leave negative feedback explaining the circumstances.

4. Add him to your blocked bidder list.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

typical yank...12 dollars / 6 quid is what most of them charge for postage for a album, tell him that the deal stands, but dont leave any feedback until he does, if he tries to back out of deal, file a non paying bidder claim, remember this is the race who get manships price guide, find a record thats in it, then advertise said fucked copy as mint

they're not all bad, surely. I've had some very pleasant dealings with US sellers over the years. you can hardly blame them for getting wise, so to speak. northern soul/rare soul or whatever is no longer 'our baby', is it? changing times. I think they're quite a nice 'race'...

macca.

Social source share

I find French buyers the worst for trying to duck out of pre-advertised P&P costs - and it's ALWAYS after the auction closes. I've had three in the space of a year, and they have always coughed up once I tell them that "by bidding on my auction, you agree to be bound by my terms and conditions". In other words, read up, put up, shut the f*** up and PAY UP!

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

burn his village to the ground. slaughter his cattle and poison the local river.

and leave negative feedback if he doesn't pay up.

Isn't it stampede the villagers and rape the cattle?

Social source share

I have had some Americans trying to charge me 19 dollars plus for items especially when they have not reached their expected price to try and regain money lost on the auction themselves,

Quoting USPS rates AND SAYING THATS WHAT THEY ARE

so have told them as we all know the norm between 10 and 12 dollars for one and then a max of 2 dollars per item on top,

But they will always think of themselves as the Suppliers and can charge what they want try and reverse the situation and they cry holy robbers from the UK

you just cant win

Social source share

Girf

totaly agree with the neg feedback,but you end up with one as well,i won 5 records from chap in this country never got them or refund so left neg feedback then he left me neg feedback so here i am £50 down no records and a neg feedback

cheers bish

Social source share

I have had some Americans trying to charge me 19 dollars plus for items especially when they have not reached their expected price to try and regain money lost on the auction themselves,

Quoting USPS rates AND SAYING THATS WHAT THEY ARE

so have told them as we all know the norm between 10 and 12 dollars for one and then a max of 2 dollars per item on top,

But they will always think of themselves as the Suppliers and can charge what they want try and reverse the situation and they cry holy robbers from the UK

you just cant win

Maybe a case for the Ministry of Hindsight, but what I used to do was if there was no clear postage rate to the UK was email them and agree a figure before the auction ended.

Only happened a handful of times, but saved any further grief after getting caught out the 1st time.

The fellow tried to hornswaggle $22 for a 12" that I got way under price. He chucked the old line of sending it 'surface mail' for a few dollars expecting me to pay top whack.

Out of principal I said 'fine, send it surface'

It turned up after 6 weeks, which on that occasion I was fine with.

Social source share

burn his village to the ground. slaughter his cattle and poison the local river.

and leave negative feedback if he doesn't pay up.

Martin have you stopped smoking already :angry:

Social source share

totaly agree with the neg feedback,but you end up with one as well,i won 5 records from chap in this country never got them or refund so left neg feedback then he left me neg feedback so here i am £50 down no records and a neg feedback

cheers bish

Personally I say bring it on....I leave neg feedback whenever it's called for, and only after going down the proper channels - and in well over 2000 positives i've only got 2 negs.....if the neg is warranted there should be no comebacks. And if I do get one its a drop in the ocean of positives....plus I always make sure I reply with a good one liner that explains exactly what the neg was for.

Girf

Social source share

So I politely replied

"The shipping costs were on the item page but if you do not want to go

Many thanks Craig"

To which he replied

"I'm sorry that I did not notice your outragous shipping cost. I understand that it is my fault because it was clearly listed but the cost is still unreasonable."

Hi Craig - there was really no need to allow him to pull out of the deal as you'd included the shipping costs on the item page, If he didnt read it first thats his fault. I think you might have been too generous, it's you that's got to try re-sell the record again and what happens if it doesnt shift next time. You've lost a sale, alright it wasn't major dollars but it was money that should have been in your pocket not his.

Even if he thinks your shipping costs are outrageous it was up to him to decide whether to bid on the record before hand or not, you hadnt hidden the costs so there's no subterfuge on your part. It's his mistake and he has to pay. Remember if you win records on Ebay you're entering a legal obligation to pay blah blah blah.

So what if the shipping costs are more expensive than the actual record he's won, doesn't that mean he's got a great cheap bargain, how greedy does he want to be?

He has no grounds at all to leave you negative feedback though he might. You can't worry about that untill you see what he's written.

Oh the joys of Ebay eh...

onwards, derek

Social source share

Here we go, I've got one now, on any of my auctions it clearly states that if the item is won by an overseas bidder and the price is over 15.00, it has to go by registered mail for 5.00, do not bid if you do not want to pay this amount. So...

1) dear sir, it's ok for the item ,but air 6 pound you beat all the world, air from uk to belgium royal air no ins is only between 1.75/ TO 2 pound??PLEASE MAKE CORRECTION ABOUT THAT? PAYPAL IS READY TO SEND

2) i do not accept to pay 5 pound air the honest rates are between 1.75 to 2 pound royal

and 3) f*cki knows what this is about

mr pete smith the air mail is only 2 pound , how do come to 5 pound, so there's 2 solutions,

1) same air mail as ll other dealers

2) sell your item to second high bid, i give up turning around, i already been to wolverhampton to see ypou once, but you had a problem with your girl friend and you wasn't there.

best

Me:

Don't bid on the records if you don't like the airmail! 5 pounds is for registered post. Normal airmail is 2.25. It said on the auction IF THE ITEM IS OVER 15.00 IT MUST GO BY REGISTERED POSTAGE. If you want to pay by cash then fine, I can do the post for 2.25, but not by paypal.

Social source share

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice but I'll just put it down to experience , claim my fees back and re list it. I wont neg him because I'll probably get one back. If it would of been a more expensive item I would of probably considered it. Oh Well. Im too saft.

By the way Pete it is the album with "Baby's On Fire" on it.

You want it i do you good deal.

Social source share

I've sold an Lp on Ebay tonight for the pricely sum of £4.99 with shipping costs clearly stated as £2.50 UK , £4.00 Europe and £6.00 USA and worldwide. I use a good quality cardboard mailer

Just curious Craig, what kind of "cardboard mailer" do you use ?

Edited by sunnysoul
Social source share

I got a LP this week,inside a big jiffy bag,and string like you would for a parcel...............from Mexico,i put it down to Mexico being a third world country. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

So I politely replied

"Hello

Many thanks

Craig"

To which he replied

I often buy items from Germany vis ebay (not records), and the postage costs are very often more than the item I buy! However I have to accept that fact and pay up, or do without. I think he's being completely unreasonable.

Social source share

One similar to these with two carboard stiffeners. Could'nt tell you the make and model number though.

Oh and by the way I allways take the record and inner sleeve out of the cover.

post-1363-1168556919_thumb.jpg

Craig , in your opinion, do you feel that those mailers afford the same level of protection in transit as the "box" shaped packages that US sellers always use ?

Social source share

Craig , in your opinion, do you feel that those mailers afford the same level of protection in transit as the "box" shaped packages that US sellers always use ?

Probably sent around a thousand Lp's using these and never had any problems whatsoever so the answer has to be yes.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert